How long will it take to learn French to the level that I am able to read In Search of Lost Time?

How long will it take to learn French to the level that I am able to read In Search of Lost Time?

Attached: isolt.jpg (440x650, 33K)

i'm also very interested in the answer to this

probably a long fucking time considering it is older french, there are alot of "sayings" and manneurisms that don't directly translate, as well as references both culturally and historically that would require lots of research.

Ne perd pas ton temp cest vraiment pas la meilleur oeuvre en francais.Jule verne ou Victor hugo est bien mieux.

Im french and i can say this book is a pile of rubbish.

I don't care what you think is good. I want to read it.

see

ok, how long would it take to learn to say "fuck you" in French ?

Trips says learn basic french by watching your favorite movie with french subtitle then in french language then watch french movie a year of that and you should be fine to read it.

Yeah, see, i'm gonna call bullshit... English is not my native language, and to be fair i have learn it that way, sort of, but this is because english is a language for retards, i'm now learning german and son it is NOT as easy as just watching german movie...

>english is a language for retards
English is one of the hardest popular languages to learn.

pff... whatever you say

Attached: 1537484876043.png (474x711, 113K)

It's much more difficult than German. German is incredibly simple.

I dont know a lick of French but my main man Vlad Nabokov said this book is one of the best. I think I should be able to learn French eezy peezy and finish this bad boy in a weekend. Imagine not learning another language to enjoy kino.

I read Swann's Way and Within a Budding Grove in english and no one can stop me.

In terms of vocabulary, Proust is difficult but maybe not more difficult than Flaubert. There was a study about Flaubert, Proust, Zola and Maupassant, and how many different words they use, and how many rare words they use, etc., here's the results:
>how many different nouns in 1200 pages: Flaubert 8000, Proust 6800, Maupassant 5900, Zola 5900
>verbs: Flaubert 2500, Proust 2400, Zola 2300, Maupassant 2150
>adjectives: Proust 3100, Flaubert 2650, Maupassant 2650, Zola 2100
>adverbs: Proust 600, Flaubert 500, Maupassant 450, Zola 400
And now the rare words
>rare nouns: Flaubert 2800, Proust 2000, Zola 1600, Maupassant 1350
>rare verbs: Flaubert 800, Proust 775, Zola 775, Maupassant 600
>rare adjectives: Proust 800, Flaubert 650, Maupassant 500, Zola 350

Anyway what it means is that ofc Proust is one of the french writers that uses the widest and rares vocabulary, but it's not significantly more difficult than other top french writers

Now you have the issue of grammar, because in order to properly understand and appreciate the superlong sentences you need to be perfectly at ease with syntax and grammar. This is probably the main thing that will cause trouble to non-native speakers.
I guess the most useful thing would be to read a lot in order to get perfectly familiar with grammar, whereas vocabulary issues aren't such a big issue. (if you bother learning vocabulary just to read Proust, then focus on adjectives and adverbs - or perhaps you'd be able to guess them if you already know the corresponding noun, in most cases)

tl;dr - it'll take a very long time

Fix your country.

Attached: 190415180215-notre-dame-ghitis-super-169.jpg (1100x619, 52K)

lmao what a retard

like a month or two? it's only French LMAO

Genuinely great post, I'm not OP but have wondered the same thing before. Thanks for the info.

It's painfully boring. I can't read it. My pseudcred days, when I forced myself, are over.

bait