How does this make you feel? Even /sci/ can't come up with a good excuse for this

How does this make you feel? Even /sci/ can't come up with a good excuse for this

Attached: gre.composite.01.jpg (808x548, 224K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160289613000470
dailynous.com/value-of-philosophy/charts-and-graphs/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It makes me feel good, justified in basking in the smell of my own farts because I can understand Kant without supplementary literature

what is a gre score

Have you ever tried listening to the average "scientist" today. They're absolute retards with nothing to contribute. I don't know how we went from Bohr and Heisenberg to the current lot but science clearly doesn't take much intelligence

That's composite, meaning it combines quantitative (math) and qualitative (verbal + analytic reasoning) sections. The reason it's so high is that philosophy students in America, the only place where something as barbaric as the GRE is used, are very focused on logic and math. So even philosophy grad students who aren't focusing on math directly will still have a reasonably high quant score (say 160-165) just to get into the program. Whereas in something like English or History, you can have quant around 150-155 and nobody cares. Hell, you could probably be lower than that and they wouldn't even look at your quant score.

The GRE is fucking meaningless and measures nothing. It's a joke of a test. It's also a racket and a monopoly, owned by the same people who own the SATs (another scam, currently being dumped by several universities as it's a joke + it favors class-based discrimination because rich people just pay for SAT-specific tutors to let their kids game the system, and pay to take the test 5 times until they get a ogod score) and TOEFL (standard English as a second language exam for all visiting/immigrant students, a MASSIVE racket as the US university system is largely a paper mill and most of the elite schools draw their customers from overseas). I think they're also deeply implicated in a few other academic monopolies.

I'm not even against standardized testing but the GRE is a joke. I took it so I know.

You have to be 18 years or older to visit this site

I thought that part of the GRE test was discipline specific. If so, then all that means is that the philosophy test is easier.

The discipline-specific ones are optional. Few places require them.

>i-it's not s-s-serious guys, my low score doesn't mean nuffin
hahahahahahahahahahaha

I said it depends what program you're going into. Philosophy programs will want you to be 160-165. Most humanities programs won't even look at your quant score.

I bombed quant (got like 152 or something, literally 50th percentile or maybe worse) and got into programs because my qual score was OK. If I had known the programs I was applying for cared about quant, I would have spent a year studying and dragging my shitty math ability up to a 160. That's what my friend did recently.

It's not an IQ test, is my point. It's really dumb. Have you taken it? Did you find writing essays about bus schedules and pairing synonyms to be a good test of your intelligence?

We are not /sci/ get this bumbling pointless chart of this board. We don't gather around and narcissistically brag about unnecessary scores to patch are self-consciousness. Creativity has ZERO correlation with I.Q. so this thread is nothing but unrelated to Yea Forums. Go back to and take your chart with you, here we aren't constantly fumbling over doubts of our intelligence or being worried if were fraud or not. Wether you don't read shit and shit post here on the daily or you read 100 pages of philosophy a day, your all my brothers. Now back away you hideous fiend and take your dirty malicious treats with you. is the equivalent of Narcissus and nothing else.

->

Attached: 9032C22D-7664-4A19-A377-A51FA7E4D1B9.jpg (512x512, 33K)

>average "scientist" today
>Bohr and Heisenberg
comparing like with like

thanks 4 the bump friend

Attached: 1555885911586.jpg (398x376, 37K)

not all of us are greaseburgers

I'm obviously talking about the most public and famous. Can you name even a single scientist displaying the level of thought they did outside their narrow papers

>I don't know how we went from Bohr and Heisenberg to the current lot
Founding figures in 20th century physics are all scientist-philosophers: Boltzmann, Planck, Einstein, Bohr, de Broglie, Max Born, Heisenberg, Wolfgang Pauli, Schrödinger...

And now we have Michio Kaku and Neil Degrasse Tyson

>amerilard standardized tests
wow...

>the only place where something as barbaric as the GRE
Lol'd, I've never seen such transparent cope.

Attached: PISA2015BySteveSailer.jpg (180x567, 47K)

true, some of us are thirdworlders

I think it's because many STEM grad programs don't care about the verbal or even the composite score. My immigrant dad has some story about how he got accused of cheating by the proctor because he was just staring off into space during the language-based parts of the GRE. He didn't know English very well and only needed to get a really good score on the math section to get into the grad program he was applying for, so he just ignored like 2/3 of the exam

Did you see Michios answers today in that AMA? Astonishingly embarrassing. :3

This is the /sci/ equivalent of saying "music used to be better when we didn't have Justin Beiber and Taylor Swift!!"

It was better, and so was writing and everything else. Le wrong generation maymay is cope from people who can't figure out why we have nearly 1 billion literate westerners yet remain unable to produce a dickens or a melville today.
>sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160289613000470

She has always been embarrassing.

This is because the GRE and LSAT are written by logicians, not by scientists or mathematicians. Philosophy majors may be extremely adept with general critical thinking, but these tests don't focus in on the fields that STEM graduates study. For good reason, however, as this need to be generalized. A biology major isn't going to know as much as a physics major is going to know about physics and vice versa. This is a measure of general reasoning, and STEM/other humanities focus too much on their respective field.

Subject GREs are the only ones that matter in stem (and MAYBE quantitative reasoning), and even then its one of the last things to look at on your application. Graduate supervisors want students that can do research, not take tests

>She
:3

It's meant for business school applicants?

It's surprising physics and astronomy has such as edge in this, actually.

Music is pretty shit today honestly

>university of new orleans

OPs picture is basically a "general" test combining many scores. This one here is meant for business and management (GMAT)

Full list where OP got this is here
dailynous.com/value-of-philosophy/charts-and-graphs/

Attached: gmat.02.jpg (693x609, 233K)

>management, business education, and international business are some of the lowest
kek

>Statistics
Yep. All the idiots I knew in college excelled in statistics. It's literally just rote memorization of which formula to apply when and how. There is no critical or logical thinking involved. There is no "science" more plebeian than statistics.

what? are you actually this retarded or just pretending? not only is this just graphs using test scores, cutting edge research happens at shit-tier unis across the planet. unis are not ranked purely by how good their research is. Cardiff Uni is 33rd in the UK (absolute trash) yet is #4 in research, basically the same as oxford and cambridge

oh fuck I'm an electrical engineer. What does this mean??

It means you're a pretty smart guy, but you'll always play second fiddle to philosophy chads

it means only shit electrical engineers that are changing fields take the general GRE because you probably dont need it in EE programs

>another IQ thread

Attached: 1555816089492.png (583x482, 119K)

Its mainly because statistics in an abstract sense is fucking easy as shit. It only gets interesting when applied to subjects
Its like getting a degree in hammers and not anything you can do with them

>Analytical Writing
>Argument Task
>Verbal Reasoning
Yeah and wheres all the math and scientifical stuff?

based retard its another iq thread poster

>It only gets interesting when applied to subjects
You mean when they are shown to be completely false? What's so interesting about that?

>wheres all the math and scientifical stuff?
Beneath Electrical Engineering

based based retard its another iq thread poster poster

This is only an opinion that can be held by people who already don't listen to music.

sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me

Attached: 1555978419849.jpg (500x637, 107K)

No, these points are the one in question that you have to proof you have sound knowledge of.

Based pop-stoic retard poster