Evangelion

So what the fuck was the point of this?

Surely someone has written a phd or a thesis that I can read?

Yes I watched the entire (first series.)

Attached: asuka.png (1467x1059, 1.08M)

"It all returns to nothing".
Read Schopenhauer, sweety.

It's a weebshit show like any other
Go back to your brainlet shit hole

Ahh I see you are an otaku one I am too an otaku one as are you and we can be good friends you and me and him and us forever.

Just b urself, you're free

No, you go back to Pleddit.
Yea Forums and Yea Forums are friends.

Fuck off this thread is off topic to begin with and no fucking one is retarded enough to enjoy anime here

It's fundamentally a depressed man's desperate attempt to find meaning and solace in the cruelties of 90s-era hyper-stratified Japan. You can point to all the religious symbolism and speculative plot threads all you want, but it will be difficult to come to a conclusion deeper than just "life is complicated and basically sucks", since it was never meant to be anything more than that.

Nothing of substance. Like other animus it uses hamfisted references to media ance actual philosophy to appear smarter than it is. It's actually a pretty shallow story about a kid with depression who fails at defeating his Demons.

Speak for yourself.

The director was obviously mixing a bunch of random philosophies in. It's not like there is some objective meaning you are supposed to take out of it

People who don't watch good anime are either retarded americans or low iq low empathy retards.

There is no good anime faggot

"Go out and talk to people, what's the worst that could happen?"

Failed quantum singularity

Also its apparent the budget ran out halfway through the show.

completely incorrect, there is guaranteed to be an anime that you would enjoy

The second half is better than the first though

Gurren Lagann is the best anime

Nigger tier writing filled with random symbolism to appease edgy teenagers. Go back to Yea Forums faggot

only worthwhile anime is Monster, Cowboy Bebop, Mushishi, and that's about it. Evangelion was like 22 episodes of filler

>Monster
>reading bad adaptations of manga
Oh nonono

>nigger
>faggot
>calling others edgy
I see. You're just a /pol/ tourist. What's your IQ? 65?

>bad adaptations of manga
this is an anime thread

>Mushishi
Comfy taste user

Attached: ginkoblacked.jpg (1024x576, 81K)

What about:
>Tatami Galaxy
>Legend of the Galactic Heroes
>Gurren Lagan
?

The last 2 episodes of Evangelion are unironically the best thing ever put into an anime (not that that is saying much). A complete psychoanalysis of the main character who has to come to terms not only with the destruction (both literal and metaphorically) of the world but also tasked with the creation of a new one. He is given everything, but as in the show Shinji is unable to act even when he can create the world exactly as he thought he wished it to be. He can have a perfect family and school life, no giant robots, no aliens, no suffering, but he rejects it all because he knows it isn't real. In the end Shinji chooses to live in reality even if it means suffering since that is also the only place where true beauty lies.

CONGRATULATIONS

LotGH was pretty based but Tatami Galaxy was mediocre (art was nice though). Never watched Gurren Lagan

>Tatami Galaxy was mediocre
Come down to fucking Birmingham and ask for Danny G, I'll fuck you up

Good answer. Saves me the trouble of writing anything.

anything set in a high school loses major points right off the bat, same with mech warriors, talking animals, big tit tsundres, magical powers, and any other trope/fan service that dominates the genre.

But Tatami Galaxy is set in a Kyoto university...

that's like saying they aren't mech warriors they are robotic angels, doesn't fix the problem

Bullshit. They just ran out of money to animate the monsters.

>we meant it all along he.. he goys

Tatami Galaxy was still a hell of a lot more "grown up" than you average TV anime.
The setting is meaningless, what matters is that they used it well.

Neon Genesis Evangelion could be considered the most Nietzschean anime out there, sadly the core concept behind the series is often completely overshadowed by the amazing plot, animation and music throughout the whole thing. Many wrongly think that the Christian symbolism found in the series, ranging from its title to the usage of crucifixes and biblical names, is just there because it may sound cool or interesting.

Christianity is based on the idea of salvation, that the world one day will come to an anticipated end brought by God and that our souls will finally be free from this mundane existence and be united with him for eternity. Evangelion on the other hand had a very similar idea in the form of "The Human Instrumentality Project", that the world one day will come to a manufactured end through the "Third Impact" brought by an almost mythical organization known as "SEELE" and that all the souls will be free from their lonely and painful existence and be united together in complete peace and harmony for eternity. A lot of us know right now that the Christian idea of salvation along with many other aspects of the Abrahamic religions are false, but Evangelion decided to treat the idea as a reality and explore its implications.

After a long eventful plot The Human Instrumentality Project does become a reality through Shinji Ikari, who after experiencing this new mode of purely spiritual existence, sees it for what it is—nihilism. Both in the anime and the original manga Shinji realizes that the real suffering he had to endure throughout his life will always be better than a manufactured reality where no one and nothing exists, where no events good or bad ever occur, where nothingness prevails. Shinji then decides to end the project and return to a destroyed and ravaged world.

In the anime he admits that he doesn't know where happiness lies anymore and then it ends with him facing his own continued suffering in the form of "patheticness" as Asuka puts it, while in the manga he is reborn in a slightly altered reality where the Human Instrumentality Project never existed and then it ends with a monologue by Shinji about how suffering is his only path to achieving anything worthwhile in life.

In the end, through a lot of beautiful Christian symbolism and a magnificent plot, the series followed the Nietzschean concept where there is no deus ex machina, where divine and supernatural salvation are an impossibility, and most importantly, where only man can save himself and turn it into something better and higher through his own work and suffering in this world.

Attached: FB_IMG_1555821980897.jpg (720x526, 22K)

I didn't say it was bad, I said it was mediocre. Most anime is straight up bad.

It was really good though, not mediocre at all.

Why do so many people post about Eva on here but not Lain. I don't think either should be posted on Yea Forums but at least Lain brings up a lot of philosophical scenarios to discuss and directly references literature. Eva is comparatively simplistic, it should take you 5 minutes to discuss it's main themes and leaves little of relevance to debate. While Lain you could debate forever because it's that open ended. I hate to say something this elitist but is it because Lain is too complex for the plebs?

Was just about to post lain actually

Attached: eybitch.jpg (1520x1080, 88K)

my take exactly

>A lot of us know right now that the Christian idea of salvation along with many other aspects of the Abrahamic religions are false
Stopped reading there

>Hurrr hurr Lain is way more complex
Lain has a lot more style than substance, but unfortunately has SHITLOAD of plot threads that ultimately go nowhere. They touch on a lot of themes (mass surveillance, child experimentation, Shumann resonance, Alien involvement in technology, nanomachines, the internet as a literal separate reality), but it ends up getting too bogged down in the mystery of Lain herself. I'm going to rewatch it soon and maybe I'll be able to extrapolate a bit further. One of the most interesting aspects of the series IMO is how the Wired is not bound by time or space, and seeing as Lain is a product of the Wired she is essentially a god that incarnated herself in the flesh, unlike Eiri who is a man who tried to do the opposite (flesh becoming god).

Lain is referenced more often than Eva though, just take a look at the (many) accelerationism threads.

it's about various broken people and how they struggle to relate to one another and the world in general
also very well directed with great animation and designs, the judeochristian symbollism is just a unifying theme / aesthetic and nothing more than that
that's such a meme, it only ran out in the very end and End of Evangelion makes up for this very well
pleb taste desu
monster anime fucked the pacing, cowboy bebop has great audiovisuals but is just a fun sci-fi romp otherwise and mushishi is relaxing but kind of boring
there is plenty of more interesting anime out there
and dismissing tatami galaxy because it takes place in college is beyond retarded

there was a better recommended animu chart floating around, but I only have this one

Attached: lit anime chart 2.jpg (2600x3860, 2.81M)

*Blocks Your Path*

Attached: Akira1.jpg (853x480, 118K)

>dismissing tatami galaxy
I watched the whole series, it didn't impress

sounds like you watch anime for fun and excitement which is the definition of pleb taste

*steps on it and walks on without even looking down*
Overrated slanteye shit.

This topic sucks. This is now a masturbation thread:

I've haven't seen an OP about Lain. People post about it but never like the Eva posters. This is the 4th op this week saying something along the lines of "Eva is amazing, help me understand why". Do they really need that much help?

>no fucking one is retarded enough to enjoy anime on an anime site

Attached: DDFBC70A-AB1C-4E1B-93C0-77D9674CABDA.jpg (1280x1324, 384K)

I gotta disagree that it gets bogged down. I can't even think of many plot points that don't get explained sufficiently. It's often open-ended or implied (which is why it's perfect for debate) but certainly not overly so. Lain is surprisingly fleshed out and straight forward compared to what many say. Although I just ignore the Aliens and just explain the alien Lain scene as a metaphor for alienation, despite that not being 100% compatible with that aspect of the story.

OK now watch end of evangelion faget