The “Dash” in Writing?

How do i use this correctly? I often see it used instead of commas, but is there a difference? How do i know if i should use a dash or a comma?

Attached: BCF24002-757F-488A-80B9-8684640CCC5B.jpg (400x400, 4K)

a dash is much more abrupt than a comma.

When you are reading it back in your head, and you want to make the pause abrupt and longer-- use the dash!

no space after the dash

I use it to insert a quick aside into my writing -curiously not when I write by hand- that serves as its handy little unit of its own.

Interesting question- i cant wait to see other anons on this.

I use it liberally. I regard it as the multi tool of grammer. Whether more like parentheses or like a comma or more for pacing. I don't really give a fuck as long it satisfys my sense of communicating the desire effect.

ahem.
i - as a russian linguachad - use that shit at my free will.

The typing convention is to use two hyphens for an em dash, to make sure it doesn't scan as a hyphen. Usually it's to dangle a parenthetic aside on the end of a sentence, but can also be used to denote a cognitive discontinuity without a pause--especially in poetry--to command unbroken attention upon a swift sequence of disparate images. Dickinson relies heavily upon it--to spare you no time to drift from her train.

there are two types of dashes, you cunt.

I tend to use them in place of parentheses.

Well, in Portuguese we use it as a comma.
But also like this:
Johnny was too scared to say anything. His mother came to him and said some comforting words:
-Hey, sweetheart! Why don't you come with us and watch a movie?

i'm gonna leave the house-wait i forgot my keys, ok lets go now

Doubledashes and unspaced dashes in this thread are an abomination. Parenthetical dashes are also deeply questionable since you can already choose between brackets and commas.

should be using brackets

Seems okay to me. It's like a comma, but a little weaker as a division - more like a conclusion to what came before.

you should really be using a semi colon in the context you just showed us here

Punctuation is for brainlets.

Leave it to your editor.

youre using your comma incorrectly here; theres no need to use it before a "but"
also i think a semi colon would be again more appropriate than a dash. in my experience dashes are far less common than semi colons and are more appropriate in most situations.

youre just making up grammar. this should be a comma instead of a dash whilst tje first comma shouldnt even be there.

Comma with but is fine and seen everywhere. Anons mistake is that it's normally used when the second clause is grammatically complete, replete with verb.

>it's like a comma, but it's a little weaker
and not
>it's like a comma, but a little weaker

>hyphen -
only for compound words (white-collar worker, 12th-century painter), always used without spaces

>en dash –
used without spaces to connect words that are not compounds as in "from … to …" (opp. 1–4, paris–dakar rally) or words that are in opposition (east–west dichotomy, aut–aut)
can also be used with spaces as parentheses for incidental propositions or as a comma

>em dash —
used without spaces as a comma, can also be used to introduce dialogues like this

So what did Lewis Carroll think here with the use of the dash?

Attached: 9C61932D-3786-422B-8010-4C4A6C18A7E1.jpg (706x1055, 342K)

Em dash is chad punctuation

Three, actually. And OP is talking about the medium one – used here.

I use it a lot. So much I'm trying to use less often. It's akin to a parenthesis, but better, more nuanced, a bit more elegant. You can also just use one - hopping from one idea, image or observation to the next.

kek

It can be used like brackets—usually without a gap—but is also used to mark a note or subsection, such as in a bibliography.

For example:

user (2018) A Shitpost. The Internet: Yea Forums
—(2019) Another Shitpost. The Internet: Yea Forums

if starting a new sentence you do

intelligent poster is intelligent. good job.