Moby Dick

What are Yea Forums's honest to God thoughts on this classic novel?

Attached: 81wUzJpmXJL.jpg (1400x2255, 309K)

Learning more about whaling was the bast part for me desu.

>90 chapters in
>Godlike prose
>Boring fucking chapter digressions

I'm currently reading it, taking my time with it and because I'm busy with work. So far its so fucking solid. Feels like a conversation with a friend rather then a cool story book.

I'm thinking of picking it but I don't know if I should pick it up translated into my native language or just read it in it's original, I feel it's one of those books that you just need to read in it's original language.

one of only 3 good novels released after 1700.

No doubt about it, even if your english isnt perfect, go for the original text. Google words if you have to.

What are the other two?

Should keep a dictionary close by desu.

For me, it was all about the Cetology. Took me a lot of effort to get past the chapters about sea action waiting for him to get back to thoughts about whales

That too. It was indeed insightful.

>What are the other two?
Of Human Bondage and The Man of Feeling

shit taste but ok

You haven't read either book.

You are correct.

Based retard.

So then how could you judge my taste?

Have you read every book from 1700 to now?

I would think "that I've read" would be implied.

It's too good. My instinct is to be contrarian and shit on americans but I can't bring myself to say a single bad word about it.

Yeah I have the same feeling. Its just good writing. You'd think it would be slow and sluggish but it isn't.

You're wrong but you have good taste

Excellent novel, very symbolic. The metaphor just keeps coming at you in life. Also, learned a lot about whaling. Oh well, now I want to read it again.

>My instinct is to be contrarian and shit on americans but I can't bring myself to say a single bad word about it.
yeah, it annoys me when I make fun of burger lit and i have to always say "except moby dick." why couldn't melville have been canadian or something?

>Of Human Bondage
This is a bit too pessimistic but it's good. It shows what females can do to a man. Th ending was bit weak in my opinion.

English without question. Go as slow as possible. Even 3-5 pages a day. Some bits are that good.

"3-5 pages a day", damn, gotta take a look now, probably going to pick up a durable hardcover copy, it sounds like it deserves it.

I haven't seen Yea Forums talk about them and therefore I conclude that they're proabl sup-par. I don't read that much anyway.

I got like 150 pages in and he had barely introduced Ahab and was only mentioning him occasionally. I think it’d be a character I would like and would like to see a book focused mainly on him. But all the fruity exposition was too much for me.

the book is mainly focused on him, it just takes time

If a character has two or three bit parts in the first half of the book it can’t be focused on him. But what chapter which you suggest I pick back up on if I wanted to just read about Ahab?

>I haven't seen Yea Forums talk about them and therefore I conclude that they're proabl sup-par.
woof

Retard

How thicc is this book? Thought about bringing it travelling but I would assume it's a tome

>Imagine thinking there is anything fun or deep about reading 800 pages of fish anatomy.
I seriously don't get this meme. There is no action. Who likes this?

>novel
>classic

Attached: possuepäilee.jpg (706x972, 142K)

yea you need to read it in its original Whale

read the superior version at least

Attached: leviathan99.jpg (318x424, 75K)

>there's no action, who likes this?

You have to be 18 or older to post on this website.

I found it exceptionally boring to be perfectly honest.

I have a pocket edition

Americans underperform in general in literature but Moby Dick easily stands among the greatest prose of all time
If only they'd kept up whatever produced a man like Hermann Melville they'd be an incredible country.

Best book ever written.
Remember friends: Melville is a polytheist and the book is a prose epic not a novel.

It's 800+ pages, about as much of a traveling book as a study Bible.

Attached: 20190405_132930.jpg (1080x1117, 431K)

Based Abdul.

You mean the part where he explicitly says that whale are fish and fucks up any attempt of proper taxonomy? You fucking pseud brainlets.

Its shit

What do you THINK made him? There had to be the rest of America for Melville to sprout, that's like saying "man I wish the garden wasn't full of dirt, I wish it was JUST PLANTS"

>whales aren't fish

How fucking dumb are you?

Fish is just used as an ad hoc in that context as in any animal that dwells in the sea, it's not denying the mammalian characteristics of whales you fucking pseud brainlet.

And taxonomy? Bloody Hell.

>a guy who worked as a whaler in the 1840s attempts taxonomy of his own
>user is shocked that it doesn't perfect align with the proper contemporary taxonomy we have knowledge of today

You're trying way too hard to sound smart, you're not getting any validation from likes and heart reacts on this Australian bushcraft forum.

It would be more of a misstep if his taxonomy was anachronistic for the time period, and thematically it fits that in a novel about the unknowable, even the man who knows a shit ton about whales still gets stuff wrong.

FANCY YOU

Attached: dubu_19.jpg (1920x1282, 241K)

I think it’s one of the best ever. It’s what I imagine a novel would be if Shakespeare wrote one. I think Melville is the greatest American writer and one of the greatest writers ever. I’ve read Moby-Dick 3 times. I want to write just like him. I started reading his other books and studying his life because I want to get as close to all of his influences as I can. So far I’ve read Billy Budd, Bartleby, a critical text on his religious thought and a book about the influence of Milton in his work, and now I’m starting at the beginning reading Typee. Moby-Dick is a prose epic. Ishmael is Odysseus and Ahab is Achilles. “The Doubloon” parallels the Shield of Achilles section in book 18 of the Iliad. “The Town-Ho’s Story” is the chapter I cant figure out, I see it as a proto-Billy Budd right now but I’m not sure yet what purpose it has in Moby-Dick, I still value it though. “The Symphony” is the most beautiful chapter in American literature. Ahab is one of the greatest characters of all time, so few are fully human like him, Hamlet, Don Quixote, Milton’s Satan, those are the few. Even Tolstoy and Dostoevsky never had one character as real as those, they had great ensembles but who in War and Peace/AK, C&P/TBK could stand against Ahab? Those characters are like paper cutouts compared to him. First I read For Ishmael, then I read For Ahab, then I read to study the crew, Stubb, Flask, Bulkington, Starbuck, they are all different and so curiously interesting. I think I’ve got them figured out except Bulkington. Don’t know what to make of him.

pic related: some of my favorite prose from “The Sphynx”

Attached: 0A675C1B-5907-4509-AE03-ED7B2E5BCDDA.jpg (750x833, 402K)

Original. I tried reading it in spanish and I dropped it 5 pages in. Picked it up again 5 years later but in english and got me hooked instantly, even it being my first book in english.

>30 hours
still based

Though the digressions may test your patience, it's all part of the hunt, building the anticipation that pays off in a finale that is one the most sublime moments in all of literature.

Attached: Moby_Dick_final_chase.jpg (585x920, 463K)

In English it's amazing if you can read it go for it.
I wanted to become a sailor ather reading it , if only I had read it earlier, but then I woude have not liked it as much.

based as fuck