Do you think Harry Potter owes a lot of its appeal to being a Christian allegory / its Christian themes?

Do you think Harry Potter owes a lot of its appeal to being a Christian allegory / its Christian themes?

Attached: harry-potter-1-500x433-1.jpg (500x433, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ferretbrain.com/articles/article-161
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It appeals to normies because it makes them feel as if they were attending an exclusive, elite school and succeeding at it. Rowling is a conservative writer, defending British public schools and class elitism via the wizard/muggle duality. In fact, her antihomophobia, antiracist stances are meant to reinforce the fact that only this fundamental class distinction matters.

No

that retard horeseface bitch is so fuckign smug
fuck her
none of her other novels sold worht dick even with the pre-famous sales boost. fuckign retard

Yup. Witness her impotent rage on social media every time Jeremy Corbyn is mentioned.

>being muggle is genetic
>ergo, only genetically superior (((chosen))) people can attend ivy league

Your idea holds weight so far as the principle characters are all part of the public school system.

I can't think of one major character who didn't attend or work at the public school in the series.

Not a fully valid argument against the series though but a fair premise.

I would very much like to see a fanfic about the people who have magical talent, but can't afford Hogwarts. What happens to them? Is that where the proles like Stan Shunpike come from? I'll probably have to write it myself.

But Hogwarts is free. The only price is the equipment, which besides the wand I think the school supplies.

But yeah I agree you would think this aspect of being a Wizard would be brought up.

Robot chicken had a sketch detailing exactly that. I miss old adult swim.

>Harry Potter and the Reserve Army of Labour

Harry Potter is not about economic inequality, it's about a more fundamental form of inequality: nobility. The way the muggle/wizard divides very much works like the downfall of a blood aristocracy. First there are the pure bloods, whose family line has been noble for millenia. But at some point outside marriages start to happen, spawning half-bloods i.e intermingling with the bourgeoisie and proletariat. Voldemort is all about trying to restablish old social relations, but his idea is doomed from the very start because his ontology is messed up.

Harry potter is basically neoliberlism the fairy tail. The wizard world is basically an apartheid state and harry doesnt want to help muggles or the free the worker elves or things like that, he wants the half bloods to get a piece of the pie too.
It all ends in the most neoliberal way possible. With harry becoming a wizard cop

Attached: c4da579f0f89a22d307d7f1a9034f3744e61301ffa6282d3ed222684879a43aa.png (1187x2403, 314K)

So is it fair to say the series saves itself based on its Christian themes then? With this irregular wizarding world as a basis for injustices, it works great as a means of creating scenarios to champion Christian values?

Most of the characters appear to be atheist.

Doesn't matter if they operate on Christian values.

Hogwarts has a church aesthetic after all.

naw,

its success is due to its being softcore fantasy

Sarcasm is bad for you.

What Christian themes?

Magical school? Frankly, value system seen in hogwarts would work perfectly fine under Hinduism, too. Natural law 101 != Christianity, get off your high horse, thumpers. Why insert thumping into this - if that were the intent, there would be clear references to religion within the story. There isn't, nor any other sign of spirituality (all magic portrayed as "science"). Therefore atheism.

Just about any story with good vs evil as the premise can be suggestively allegorical. The ending was so contrived about being in heaven which was some weird version of Kings cross station and somehow coming back from that, having only been half killed or some bullshit. She clearly had no clue how to end it and had to resort to some entirely contrived sort of heroic sacrifice to make the battle have enough dramatic weight For the 7 book payoff.
It was a sloppy ending and just because any story of self sacrifice can be like Jesus, it’s often clutching at straws, certainly in this case

>if that were the intent, there would be clear references to religion within the story. There isn't.
A prophecied "chosen one" who lays down his life for the greater good, then gets resurrected in KING'S CROSS Station?

Ha I never put two and two together on that one.

Do you think Western literature owes a lot of its appeal to much of its work being Christian allegory or satire or parody of Christian allegory with Christian or Nietzschean themes, which are ironically mostly still aligned with modern Protestanism?

I don't know. Want to help me out with this notion?

Seeking the reasons for a novel's popularity within the novel itself is foolish. I honestly believe that any, ANY novel can become a worldwide phenomenon, given enough hype, media push, and a dose of luck. 90% of people are too retarded to form their own opinions, they will gobble whatever is fed to them, then in the earnest convince themselves of loving it.

Here's a good article if you're interested in the Christian influences in Harry Potter
ferretbrain.com/articles/article-161

>>being muggle is genetic
i don't understand this
aren't some wizards born of muggle parents?

This article overthinks HP garbage more than Rowling ever did.

Thank you for this.

what was the ministry's tax policy?

snot snarcasm, cunt.

I have not even seen or read so much as review of one of the movies, but am a little curious about why it became a thing. I did see the bitch on Charlie Rose once, but all I remember is that she was desperately poor while writing the first one. At least this is how she told it. So I always imagined it had something to do with the pleb cope of identifying with a temporarily embarrassed merit--definitely a neoliberal thing. (We're all potential millionaires, are we not? If only the bureaucrats would get out of our wonderful way.) This also brings to mind Malvolio, though he's a lot sicker than that.

Have sex.

Just because jeebus is basic bitch hero story doesn't mean all heroes are implicit reference to jeebus.

What christian themes? Harry Potter is a world where basically all problems are solved by magic, it borrows the aesthetics of Christian tradition (elite private school, architecture, traditional heirarchy). But without any actual spirituality.

Have sex.

Look up Punnett squares, should help

>basic bitch hero story
See: Iliad and Odyssey

How do you think she comes?

cringe

based and conradpilled

Never really got how it's meant to feel Christian. Feels more like a committee of MI6 bugmen waving their glowing dicks in the world's face for 3000 pages of shallow wish-fulfillment, cultural and spiritual retardation and pure social elitism. These books are the anti-Tolkien.

>nobility
I think it's meant to look like that but the wizards of harry potter feel more like the elite that succeeded Europe's aristocrats. They're all technocrats, public sector peons, and of course, literal spooks whose job is to manipulate public perception of their activities. This interpretation leaves room for the 'mudblood' phenomena too. Occasionally a normal from outside one of the trusted families shows potential and gets recruited via elite education.

Voldemort could still be trying to restore the old order, we could say he's maybe something like a really hardcore Boulanger figure. Being a reactionary is more than blood. I don't remember but it'd make more sense if Voldemort fucking hated the ministry more than anything else, but he seems to be a petty asshole who just wants to be god king of humanity because Rowling is a hack.

Who in Harry Potter feels Christian to you even if they don't attend mass and the like? Tolkien wrote plenty of characters this might apply to. Who did Rowling give us?

Truly evil things love dressing up good. Especially love dressing up Christian.