The official clown world lit

just finished this, laughed aloud at some passages. captures the essence of clown world precisely.
what's the funniest (in an absurd way) book/story you've ever read?

Attached: Catch_22080618PF_4df81d4b-dedb-4048-9f80-fdd55b378a76_1024x1024.jpg (1024x1024, 180K)

btw i think one of the unjustly underrated characters is the psychiatrist in the hospital, one of the most accurate personality types in the book, lel

Attached: FnCA62ufw8E.jpg (547x680, 79K)

Did Catch-22 make anyone else get kind of emotional, like towards the end and shit?

Attached: 900_The fire of Rome.jpg (899x734, 158K)

Unironically Deleuze and Guattari

Attached: 87E4ABD8-0876-4E5F-AE18-CE9F5852B200.jpg (1125x476, 334K)

why did you have to post that pic and give me tfw no bf

fags can find partners even easier than women can

did for me as well lad that one scene with the organs very brutal

yeah but real life fags are disgusting me included, its just a feel

That shit fucked me up.

Attached: joseph-heller-483118.jpg (640x756, 111K)

First time I read it the Snowden scene definitely, but also the surprise of the ending was genuinely uplifting

yeah that ending is quite good, shame the sequel supposedly sucks shit

I recently read Tropic of Capricorn by Henry Miller. I laughed my ass off.

Invitation to a Beheading

This book had me burst out laughing in public several times.

Attached: 61Mybph%2Bp1L.jpg (1000x1427, 107K)

Read Good soldier Ċ vejk. It's much better than Catch-22.

Attached: sjad1TX.jpg (937x1170, 84K)

this way for the gas, ladies and gentlemen is some real clown world shit

leave, reddit

the communist manifesto

Still here for the damage control I see

dead souls

it's funny

yes, gave me the "war is hell, son" feels towards the end. the absurdism desensitizes you and creates a rather comedic mood, and no one dies in a comedy with their guts out in military action.
i have a humble collection of those, i think they're comfy.

Attached: GjFM6BmMfbs.jpg (750x481, 86K)

just downloaded it, thanks. i saw it on "dark and disturbing" chart but didn't pay much attention

Attached: 97ce9c5d-12a2-4070-87e8-1ba7a48e7c87.jpg (640x451, 56K)

Chapter 39 "The Eternal City" should have just been entitled "Yossarian Randomly Is Transported To Hell". Compared to the rest of the novel, the dourness of its tone is completely out of place. Besides the description of Snowden, its the most relentlessly grim section of the book. There's no dark comedy to be found there, just darkness.

at some point i wondered if the whole hell in Rome was dreamt up by him unconscious in the hospital, it really did feel like a fever dream.
i think it's a great metaphor for how harsh and omnipresent army humor still fails to erase the doom of war

Attached: 0c8bd297-688b-4e7c-96e3-35520be3a523.jpg (1280x875, 131K)

Only at the climax of the novel does the facade of clown world melt away, revealing to Yossarian, much like his discovery of Snowden's entrails, the rotting, hellish squalor and despair hiding beneath the surface. His final interactions with Aarfy in particular are like something taken verbatim out of a horrifying nightmare.

Gravity's Rainbow

The Sword of Honor trilogy by Evelyn Waugh is less clown world but has a lot of the clownishness of war. Funny in parts, and reminded me of catch-22 alot.

fug, forgot to mention Waugh. i've read his Vile bodies, solid comedy despite the fact it's not relevant anymore. i wonder if there are equally good modern works about modern subcultures/demographics that won't be considered boring shit in 10 years
well said, friend. the end also feels like it's a beam of hope melting the goreful filling away to reveal the clowncore again. something like accepting that you can only win if you play by clown rules

Attached: 791f316f-b2bb-4868-b164-97fd1f8104a5.jpg (613x771, 89K)

It's been a while since I read it and I was much younger, but I remember getting really aggravated during the bombing mission scenes where it seems like Yossarian is the only one in the cockpit who hasn't gone crazy. Felt like I was actually trapped up there myself.
This thread is making me want to reread the book.

Yes the moment the deaths start to happen it's really staring to hit heavy on your feelings

I really like Waugh but haven't read vile bodies. Quick rundown?

Not him, but it's about the British rich kids who didn't go to the first world war partying and not realising the adults are planning a second world war which they'll have to play in.

basically a mockery of 20-30's "high society" and its values and style of living. it doesn't have the actual decadent between-wars-era aesthetic, but is as absurd as Catch-22 at some points.
i'd especially note the scene with English customs/censorship closer to the beginning, the way they treat books is still relevant to this day

Attached: aafa4f75-f1f7-4551-ac0c-c8cd8f2182b3.jpg (400x284, 42K)

wtf is clown world

A mixture of Evolian and Camusian thought

pol meme

absurdist nihilism (nothing matters& also nothing makes sense lmao) but in a positive way (what produces lulz is allowed to have no sense and purpose lmao)

lol brainlet still stuck in the real world

Attached: 56da59009059df40.png (299x960, 489K)

chaplain was kind of cutely written. i was glad with how it ended for him.

Attached: ooSnCil-H8s.jpg (500x500, 45K)

literally me without the believing in god stuff

Catch 22 was so painfully unfunny and boring that I dropped it halfway through

t. colonel cathcart

the Catch-22 novel, poem, short story, or essay was so painfully unfunny, boring, or badly-written that i dropped it halfway through.
my condolences, user Cathcart

based. he seemed to be the only non-crazy one.
2bh i just have a retarded clergy fetish and liked the scene where he blushed at tomatoes being compared to tits

Attached: 9e34298c-7572-4cef-bb37-4f3fad28d7da.jpg (523x309, 30K)