Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O4p0uw42cdo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

uhhhhhhhh literally

fuck you

ahaha is that a t-shirt

high quality

I disagree.

Gravity's Rainbow is Catch-22's and Slaughterhouse 5's retarded, sexually weird child

pynchon is 10x a better stylist than heller and vonnegut put together

Too bad he's 10x worse everything else

I really like S5 and Catch-22 is one of my favorite books. This year I've decided to read some of Yea Forumss top meme books. So far I've read 2666 and Mason and Dixon and have to say: these are teriffic books. Is Gravity's Rainbow going to let me down? Like I said, I like the subject matter and time period, but it gets both so lauded and trashed on here I don't kknow what to expect.

Correct.

>Mason and Dixon and have to say: these are teriffic books
>Is Gravity's Rainbow going to let me down?
I read M&D three times. I couldn't get through more than a chapter and a half of Rainbow.

I agree. Unfunny nonsense that psued losers pretend to understand because they think it makes them look smart.

Not "getting" GR is the sign of a true brainlet

Yep

Attached: uuy.png (822x844, 222K)

Haha what the fuck

"getting" GR is the sign of a true pseud

never gonna make it

Wait no way this is a real passage from the book.

luckily "making it" has nothing to do with reading thomas pynchon, who is relevant only to a dwindling number of college-aged geeks (picture a gaggle of even spazzier joshua cohens) and a few disillusioned ex-hippie boomers, all american

he's right, people who try to divine and scrape out every ounce of "meaning" from experimental/avant-garde fiction are sickos. gravity's rainbow is textural like a lot of pynchon's work, and people who think they "get" it like it's some kind of arcane puzzle to be solved are just as literal-minded and shallow as people who complain that it's too hard and pointless

read it again

Literary tradition would look at postmodernism as a very awkward, but thankfully short period of disposable literature that is of no use to anybody. Everything from beats up till DFW is best simply forgotten., or written off as the world slowly coming back to it's senses after the shellshock of WW2, producing some idiotic rambly novels in process.

okay retard

Attached: fff.jpg (233x217, 5K)

holy shit, how does someone get this retarded? you don't need to tear apart GR to find its meaning, you just need to read it and pay attention to at least half of it. it's not that hard. imagine having a fucking aneurysm whenever you read something even slightly abstract and expecting it to completely spoonfeed you

This board is fucking garbage these days lmao. The jews are the cause of all ills in the world and niggers are not even human beings. rahowa

best book in the world

I very much hate the notion that it's somehow my job to work and dig intently through the heaps of shit (in case of GR, actual shit) in search of joy and meaning. Just read garbage, consume this nigh-gibberish until your desperate brain comes up with some pattern-extract to fool into thinking that the world still makes sense, just do it! Well no, bitch. I'm the customer and a book is the whore. It's her job to please me, and mine to relax and get my balls sucked. The simple question is the following: you have these grand towering masterpieces like Divine Comedy or War and Peace, or abovementioned Catch-22, which do not assault me with obscurantist horseshit, these books instantly open up and let me in on the ride. So, what happened with GR? Is Thomas Pynchon that much smarter, better, talented than Dante, Tolstoy, or Heller? Are his ideas so advanced and ahead of its time that normal, non-retarded prose simply wouldn't suffice? Well either that (in which case lowly humanoids such as myself are not worthy) or Pynchon is just a postmodern moron like many before or after.

>I very much hate the notion that it's somehow my job to work and dig intently through the heaps of shit (in case of GR, actual shit) in search of joy and meaning.

never gonna make it.

I've heard pynchon's jokes are cringe, and I read the excerpt with the shit...was a whole lot4me, I want to be the smartest boy in earth but do I really have to read this mans?

Pynchon's hilarious

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 1.54.51 PM.png (1082x1214, 130K)

Attached: 1549409707214.jpg (500x322, 16K)

how the fuck is that what I'm saying. you expect me to believe you understood Gravity's Rainbow when you couldn't even digest two consecutive sentences?

cant tell if deflecting or just retarded

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 12.00.27 PM.png (530x38, 11K)

why don't you restate to me what you think I said

Hahahah I love that he spelt ‘says’ like that. It was consistently he only thing he misspelled

That it's so incredibly hard to get at the underlying meaning of the text when in reality Pynchon is very generous with his verbiage, repeats his points often to help flesh them out, and you just need to look up esoteric references now and then which, once you do, is instrumental in lending the text its authenticity

haha yeah so epic and goofy

that's why he's my fav

oh course it is. wait till you read all the graphic sex scenes of adult men with prepubescent children

you're saying this like there's a big meaning to be had, like it's a mystery novel or something. It's a perfectly readable book, but I take issue with the idea that you're supposed to read every book like a fable and "get" some singular big concrete idea behind it.

Was just reading this today. I can't believe I got meme'd into buying this. I'm not sure if pynchon is mad or just trying to come acros that way. I was drawn to it because I heard he trained as an aeronautical engineer before turning to literature - I expected some wittgenstein level intellect. But this was just stir fry.

No, I'm saying it's more than just textural though. It is a mystery novel though, pynchy loves Chandler

it literally isn’t that hard. read the book. if you read every word, in order, with a dictionary, the meaning will be obvious without further analysis. the absolute state of Yea Forums, holy shit

keep on reading. You will be surprised not once

thinking that engineers have some kind of general level insight that applies to all fields is both the most STEM and the most humanities thing i've ever heard

What are you talking about? What words? There are entire passages, pages, chapters that make little to no sense.

have you ever watched a surrealist art-house movie?

you're right about that, mystery novel was a bad example. and for sure it's not *all* just textural, but a big chunk of the action, characters and vignettes in the book aren't in service of the plot and never get resolved in any meaningful way, which I assume frustrates a lot of literal-minded readers who try to slog through it expecting some kind of masterful joining of every thread

for you

You're a big pseud

>He reads for the plot

yikes

>fucking plebs, expecting books to make sense n shiiet!

Pynchon's fucking masterful at weaving plot threads through each other. No he doesn't wrap every single one into a pretty little bow because that's life but you need to have a better overview of the greater structure before identifying what struts are supporting what.

they are supposed to be kind of like puzzles, in order to be deciphered in a way, not all of them, but some of them for sure

>puzzles
Ah fuck, and here I was expecting a novel. Dumb me.

yeah you do sound pretty dumb lmao

>being illiterate
you’re not helping, pseud

>you’re not helping, pseud
nothing pseud about what I wrote tho, it's literally the best explanation of the nature of the novel to someone new

The problem with Yea Forums these days is that this person is precisely correct but look at how the retards responded.

actually the problem with Yea Forums is that he’s precisely incorrect but look how you responded

to be fair, hasn't Pyncher gone on record stating there are parts of GR he was too fucked up while writing to remember what he actually meant?

and.....?

>having never read Death of the Author
nice, very Yea Forums

Yeah, hard agree

Yo that's actually hilarious

ikr

Attached: 1555638953525.jpg (1024x1008, 586K)

>Dude Pynchon is the best stylist ever, his writing is like an intricate puzzle, you just gotta slow down and read carefully
>Um, didn't Pynchon himself admit that most of it is just a stream of consciousness a la On the Road?
>DUDE DEATH OF THE AUTHOR LMAO

that's not what "stylist" means you clod. he has fantastic, iconic prose and that's his best quality

>didn't Pynchon himself admit that most of it is just a stream of consciousness

lol he never said this, and that doesn't imply you shouldn't slow down and read carefully. Keep at it sport.

>Why yes, I do prefer Infinite Jest, the superior work of a much more sincere author!

Attached: GC5.jpg (1242x1394, 156K)

it was literally planned and written by a comittee of jews.
thomas pynchon is just a façade in their plan to degenerate an entire generation.

I'm these two ( ). I am on record disagreeing with the guy who said it's like a puzzle. keep up

To be fair, aren’t you too stupid to understand what a lot of it means anyway?

I'm getting there!

yeah, there is a quote, can't find it now, but he says that there are stuff in it that now he couldn't possibly understand what he meant

yeah, isn't there a quote, can't find it now, but he says he carefully planned everything in the book and could answer every question you have about it

Prove it faggot (you can't)

>I was so fucked up while I was writing it . . . that now I go back over some of those sequences and I can't figure out what I could have meant.

wow epic Yea Forumsro pynchon btfo

Attached: 1456752301863.jpg (1104x1600, 353K)

That's just a game theory

you made this quote up. links or it didn't happen

googles

Don’t listen to the other retard, GR is an amazing read. It’s hilarious, somber, vulgar, and esoteric all at once. I really loved it when I read it, even if some of the subject matter went over my head. I went into it thinking it’d be a shitty masturbatory meme, but it’s honestly great.

he didn't make it up but it's from the old playboy article about pynchon where somebody who claims to know him shares various anecdotes. you should not take that article very seriously. it's full of made up shit like pynchon having his buck teeth removed in mexico.

literally just fucking link it, I can't find anything

Attached: Untitled (3).png (584x74, 6K)

Sometimes balls smell like popcorn and sweat and sometimes dried cum smells sweet but what on earth does fresh cum smell like?

this keeps being posted around the internet as some sort of excuse that "the author himself can't even make sense of gravity's rainbow!"

however, i believe the full story goes something like pynchon wakes up after a bender and discovers pages and pages of writing and has trouble deciphering it, so much of the "fucked up" text is expunged and/or carefully revised into coherency by sober pynchon

i unfortunately have no source for this; it *might* be from when jules siegel briefly appeared on the waste mailing list to shed light on his famous playboy article but i cannot be sure

This reads more like George RR Martin.

Asparagus.

Attached: 1541732833001.jpg (634x955, 162K)

Plebs coming out of the woodwork

Catch-22 is a good novel (not compared to GR) but Slaughterhouse-Five is literally babby-tier, I can’t take anyone seriously who says Vonnegut is their favorite writer because I automatically know they have the mind of a thirteen year old.

M&D is his best work, GR was just made only to inform/inspire his true masterpiece.

Nah. Smells like a Bradford Pear tree.

yep, GR exists only to inspire Against the Day, his true masterpiece. pack it up, thread's over, we figured out that AtD is his best work

it's actually what the cover looks like. i thought it looked liked a t-shirt in this photo then checked my edition, it's just how it look

Holy fuck, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

dude "getting" it is just enjoying it, you don't get it. it's genuinely a good book and non-philistines like good books. pynchon is doing something aesthetic while also redpilling boomers. u r dumb

youtube.com/watch?v=O4p0uw42cdo

Why do you write like a retarded person? Begin your sentences with a capital letter, and end them with a period mark, for starters. Is this the effect Pynchon's erratic writings have on young, impressionable minds? Horrifying.

why are you on Yea Forums when you are a philistine?

I agree with you, I'm on your side you bimbo

It's possible to 'get' a novel and still despise it, as it is possible to not 'get' a novel yet enjoy it. To claim that those who 'got' must necessarily love it is beyond retarded.

i said you have to enjoy it not love it, if u dont enjoy good art u r gay and boring philistine
lol i didnt know which poster i was replying to just general trend of convo

Attached: 015.png (434x327, 37K)

If this is weirding you out that's the sign you're a complete brainlet

yeah that's not weird haha

>Slaughterhouse 5
take your meme books back where you came from

Attached: 1545530397616.jpg (596x415, 39K)

any literary work that can inspire this kind of debate is obviously worth your time.

Attached: IMG_4902.jpg (282x600, 39K)

this desu

bingo bango bongo

so what the hell is this novel about anyway that its talked about so much here
the wikipedia article says its about rockets or some shit yet here we are discussing a guy eating literal shit while fantasizing about black cock

it's WW2, and military scientists discover that this guy gets an erection whenever Germany is going to bomb London, which is their first lead to figuring out what the fuck they're doing with their V-2's
I'm not joking, that's the actual synopsis of the book: man's peepee hard when London go boom boom

>Yea Forums claims to despise beats and despise drug fueled and crazed writing styles
>recommends Pynchon a beats enthusiast as confessed in "Slow Learner"
op, take the Yea Forums pill but do your own research. You did it to yourself

Attached: 5C28A725-C406-45D4-A028-22A03862E34D.png (600x580, 360K)

literally what the fuck are beats?

so the consensus is all this shite on wiki about it being "one of the greatest novels ever written" is just based on 3deep5u bullshit then?
im used to Yea Forums being contrarian but the posted passage about literally eating shit and the nonsense about "not even the author fully understands" leads me to think they might be right this time

shill for clown world

>passage about literally eating shit
that's not actually in the book, they're literally shitposting
>not even the author fully understands
read more Barthes, especially his Death of the Author essay

wtf yes the shit eating passage is in the book, that's not even the most graphic scene. don't talk about books you haven't read.

Attached: 1548766320382.jpg (252x243, 15K)

>don't talk about books you haven't read
ok, you do that, it'll do you wonders, since you obviously haven't read GR

having not read the book i have to ask
does the passage add anything? in a literary sense
or is it just the drug induced ramblings of a mentally ill sexually starved autist?

after some quick googling it looks like that passage actually is in GR my friend
unless other people on other websites are also shitposting

it really isn't. there's some autist with an obsessive hatred of Pynchon hacking every source he can get his hands on to trick people who haven't read GR into thinking that passage is actually in the book, thereby making fewer people read it. all the anons in this thread are either said autist or haven't read it and fell for his conspiracy

retard

are you handicapped? just read the book it's probably half way through

>just read the book
already have, it's not in the book

many of the reviews mentioning the coprophilia passage are good reviews
you could claim that this is part of your alex jones tier conspiracy theory if you wanted to but i find it more likely youre a shitlord who wants me to spend 700+ pages worth of reading to get "le ebin trold exdee"

>many of the reviews mentioning the coprophilia passage are good reviews
ok, not sure how that makes the conspiracy less real but sure
>youre a shitlord who wants me to spend 700+ pages worth of reading to get "le ebin trold exdee""
no, I want you to spend 700+ pages worth of reading because (A) it's a good book and (B) I want more people to recognize this conspiracy as something that's actually happening

shit I own a bootleg, ignore everything I've written

it makes it less likely because of how much effort went into the positive reviews
your conspiracy theory would make more sense if it was a bunch of low effort 1 sentence "this book sucked grr he eat poopie"
instead there are dozens of full essays written in which the coprophilia passage is explored
i am aware that none of this is 100% proof and the only real confirmation would be to go buy a copy myself but i think its substantially more likely that youre just full of shit like the GR protagonist

sorry, I just found out my copy is a bootleg, disregard my posts

very unfortunate

This board loves gravity's rainbow and has forever you retard

as clearly evidenced by this thread
thanks for clearing that up kid

I suppose you're right the board is inundated with literal newfags who don't read now

literally

Fuck off reddit

Attached: imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-jtPcTRdvX1iV.jpg (981x420, 109K)

you sure showed me

There have been multiple threads up about this book every day for like 10 years. You are aware that you're a dipshit newfaggot, because you are. Stop acting like a cancerous fucking retard

wow you made me google it and waste nearly a minute. thanks a lot user...

Attached: Untitled.png (1304x647, 212K)

Of course its in the book you retard it cost him the pulitzer. Not everything is LE EPICK TROLE you're just a fucking moron.

Attached: 23478f47bb07c9fc9496e91031ec33fc.jpg (585x400, 32K)

talked about =/= forever beloved
you're the cancerous dipshit here claiming to be the Yea Forums ambassador

It has a pretty good punchline at the end of the book

Pynchon is the original shitposter, dabbing on the literary establishment with his memes.

Attached: uhhh.jpg (300x300, 7K)

Burroughs is incomparably better than Pynchon.

cringe!

this book deeply impacted me. it was difficult but not more so than some others. the Soniferous Aether, the assassin's purgatory, the pavlov twisted beyond the zero, the way everything followed the path of the missile, to a moment of lofty zenith, where things made either the most or the littlest of sense, then the crash, where a sharpening clarity comes in the few moments before the chaos.

i would say it's a fantastic book, i am a double virgo as Slothrop is. frankly i think the book was written for me alone, but i'm happy that you're interested in it.

Daily reminder that Gravity's Rainbow was published in 1973 so its unfunny verbiage on WW2 and hippies is equivalent to a book today saying, "DUDE BERLIN WALL FELL DUDE 9/11 DUDE FURBIES DUDE DANCING JESUS GIF DUDE BLUMPF LMAO"

>tearful and tender user reveals to all he simply cannot read

someone didn't read Bleeding Edge

I did. It exposed him as a Wikipedia skimmer once and for all.

no you just didn't get it

Stick to Stoner, kid.

Every time I see that photograph of Pynchon I think the greyer stains are from a cum tribute and that excites me for a moment but I always disappoint myself by enlarging the image and finding the sorry bare truth that it's just negative grain. Fuck this world.

Stop taking it so serious. It's a comedy

based

>being a newfag
>trying to pretend you aren't one
stop

That's retarded. You can not like the beatles and like artists who claim influence. You don't have to like bill haley to like nirvana.
Nah

This

>newfags arguing about who's newer
literally why the fuck?

Yeah whatever retard in any case pynchon and this book have been widely enjoyed and discussed here forever and a crop of zoomers seeing the passage that DQd him from the pullitzer is unlikely to change it. Banaposting couldn't turn the board against the book, man goes down toilet posting couldn't do it, thomas pynchon is seth macfarlane (which is true and based) couldn't do it, goofs and gags couldn't do it, and even the release of the inherent vice movie couldn't do it even though a couple of spergs tried real fucking hard exactly as predicted. Honestly if the zoomers manage to make a dent in GR threads I would be genuinely shocked.

Attached: 1409039433289.png (558x492, 280K)

>thinking I'm one of the GR haters
wow, I really wasn't wrong when I called both of you newfags, was I?

Imagine having to translate this.

>I'm supposed to be psychic
epic Yea Forumsro I wasn't really talking at you but more the thread in general

Attached: 1409456121071.jpg (690x805, 430K)

>needing to be psychic to realize that I just joined the argument and haven't revealed my opinion regarding the book
truly epic amirite?

(you)

Attached: 1556121435012.png (378x370, 120K)

you're talking to a 19 year old literal faggot, not a magapede 40 something

>he thinks that my image was supposed to represent him
>he was 6 years old when i started using Yea Forums

Attached: Screenshot_20190424-171744_Photos.jpg (1070x782, 210K)

did I mention I'm gay? why are you obsessing over me so mu-
oh. you're also gay. and into me. gee, wow, I actually haven't flirted with anyone on 4channel before. do you... want to go to Olive Garden, some time, get to know each other? you don't have to, but I think it'd be fun...

Are you guys trying to actually destroy any discussion on this website? Its getting pretty atrocious lately

Its just one needlessly hyper-combative wannabe Yea Forums ambassador arguing with everyone about everything poorly
Just ignore it

>Yea Forums ambassador
wrong user, I'm faganon, improve your reading comprehension
what's your answer? did you want my Unlimited Breadstick? did you want me to toss your Italian salad?

What's wrong with the gays, folks?

Attached: thumb.png (800x450, 359K)

He said “you guys” as you were successfully baited into arguing by the wannabe Yea Forums ambassador
Unfortunately you’re the one with the reading comprehension issues

literally nothing, please fist me
>arguing
I'm just fagposting desu ;))

Rereading for the second time now, pynchie is a genius.

Before you think to be ashamed about all the poo poo remember that GRRM and 50 Shades are more vulgar and considered normiecore

Yea Forums IS FUCKING DEAD

Attached: 1445230883076.gif (353x234, 42K)

he's right, you know

there are parts that literally don't make sense or are hard to orient/pin-down, but not in a way that really hinders the main ideas he's expressing, it's sort of playful in that way.

>what that man said is true, which means he's right and your wrong silly

what did he mean by this?

Attached: 1549942027777.png (407x478, 97K)