Literary Theory General

Why do we post about philosophy on this board but never literary theory? Can we please discuss and critique emergent and historical literary theories?

Attached: 1555251529761.jpg (2400x1349, 3.03M)

because no one here understands Derrida

Still op, I wanted to subcomment that I'm curious about the takes on postcolonialist, Orientalist, and Indigenous theory but I don't want to restrict the thread to those subjects

Attached: tadanori-yokoo-untitled.jpg (690x973, 192K)

I reject your shitpost and demand you explain

Attached: 800px-Whistler-Nocturne_in_black_and_gold.jpg (800x1064, 243K)

I don't really see why orientalist and indigenous theory need to exist, but I'm all for new intrepretations through a different lens, yadda yadda.

What is literary theory

Okay well Orientalism provides really interesting fodder for what is otherwise a pulpy but disproportionately influential division of thought. Indigenous theory is THE emergent theory right now (at least in Canada) insofar as it brings focus to other ways of "being" separate from Occidental paradigms. Currently Indigenous lit is pretty underdeveloped, but certain trends within it seem to suggest that it's going to take on a much more transnational character in the future.

Attached: Tom_Thomson_The_Birch_Grove,_Autumn.jpg (2000x1731, 3.08M)

adding onto this

how does one study literary theory, give us a guide!

Op here because I'm drunk and want to keep this thread alive: the best way to learn literary theory is to read it. Terry Eagleton gives a good introduction in his book but, honestly, start with the Greeks holds true insofar as you ought to deal with the books of the Republic dealing with poets before dealing with any other Western book. Outside of the Western Tradition is prickly because non-Western forms of literature must either be defined with a comprehensive, self-conscious knowledge of the Western canon an at least a semi-comprehensive, self-conscious knowledge of the background to the precolonial work

Attached: download.jpg (400x545, 100K)

right sounds good, but what IS literary theory? would be good to know what it is if im gonna look for it

Still op: what does it say about this board if we can't have an overloaded thread talking about literary theory? Are we all pseuds? Literary theory is the basis of all literary interpretation, we ought to give it attention if that is true.

Attached: mishima.jpg (440x621, 68K)

Literary is the series of practical methods we use to INTERPRET methods of writing and, this is important, of reading. This not only influences the way(s) in which we approach texts but also the ways in which the texts themselves are written. Take Flannery O'Connor, for example; to deny that her literary expression was uninformed by the specifically Southern branch of New Criticism would be complete absurdity. Moreover, literary theory can be seen to structure our material lives insofar as it extends to the material through figures like Marx and Freud

Literary theory*

Listen: a woman with a bulldozer / built this house of now. / We were trying to buy it, buy it, buy it; / Someone was found killed there all bones, bones, dry bones

Attached: download (1).jpg (1024x729, 200K)

I apologize but I will continue lyricposting until this thread becomes a reality. Born in a house where the doors the doors shut tight, / shadowy fingers on the curtains at night. / Cherry tree blossom, head high snow, / a busy main road where I wasn't to go. / I used to sit on on the garden wall, / say hello to people going by so tall; / hello to the postman's stubbly skin, hello to the baker's stubbly grin. / Mrs Thompson gave me a bear, / Bridget and some people lived upstairs. // Skating. On Happy Valley Pond.

Attached: bruegel002.jpg (463x290, 57K)

Give me a functionalist reading or give me death!

>Are we all pseuds?
most definitely

what you just said made no sense to me lad, im sure its an important field but work on your presentation skills

Look man certain exceptions have to be made once Jim Bean and Sumatran sounds enter the mix, I'll explain tomorrow

Attached: R-1358826-1212610567.jpeg.jpg (274x300, 15K)

yes, i suppose i was rather hasteful in saying that, once i re-read it i understood, but i meant to say that you began to go off into different branches of the application before explaining much about it

I'll definitely explain tomorrow

Attached: Wiener_Straße,_Wiener_Secession_4.jpg (3391x2543, 1.62M)