Comics can be literature

Comics can be literature.
Prove me wrong.

Attached: F020026B-3979-4EC2-916A-65C58F6891E0.jpg (575x333, 35K)

They're a different medium altogether. A song isn't architecture. A film isn't a painting. A poem is not dancing. And a comic isn't literature. "Literature" is not some hierarchical label thing or a status symbol. It's a medium. By saying "Comics can be literature" you're implying comics aren't good enough in themselves and the good ones need to be put in a (from your point of view) more prestigious category. Which is hypocritical and harmful to comics as a medium.

>A song isn't architecture. A film isn't a painting. A poem is not dancing.

Attached: 1537212351945.jpg (645x729, 46K)

Shoot, I posted to bait pseuds, but that’s actually a great answer! Thanks user!

I’m replying to the first responder, btw. Forgot to press his number

Attached: 8D69F9A5-5912-489D-870B-130A0216ADF2.jpg (680x411, 241K)

>They're a different medium altogether.
>Imaginative or creative writing, especially of recognized artistic value

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (697x512, 48K)

Not an argument. Sorry.

You are wrong, and I don't need to prove you wrong.

COMICS ARE ROUGHLY AS ARTISTIC AS VIDEOGAMES, WHICH IS TO SAY THEY ARE DROSS TO KEEP BABIES FROM GETTING OFF THE COUCH TO ACTUALLY DEVELOP THEIR FACULTIES. I WILL TAKE COMICS SERIOUSLY AS A MEDIUM WHEN THEY DISCUSS SOMETHING THAT THEY HAVEN'T RIPPED OFF FROM PRE-EXISTING LITERATURE

Every piece of literature just rips off The Epic of Gilgamesh prove me wrong

Attached: comics.jpg (748x748, 173K)

You're post isn't convincing.

Playing semantics with the artistic idea that makes up a poem sure is ironic. The same can be said of a comic.

dont need an ""argument"" when comics fit within the definition of literature sorry bucko

Attached: 1554843563146.png (585x585, 164K)

THE EPIC OF GILGAMESH BEING LITERATURE IS THUS STILL AN ARGUMENT FOR LITERATURE'S SUPERIORITY AS AN ARTISTIC MEDIUM TO PICTURE BOOKS

I'd go as far as to call Watchmen literature.

>literature is a pretige symbol

Watchmen has won awards and, has, therefore, gained it's prestige.

Who cares whether they can be literature or not?
Can they hold as much value as the best works of literature regardless of their categorization?

Also, explaining why you consider that "comics can be literature" would make for a far more stimulating discussion. Otherwise, those arguing against don't really know what arguments make you come to your conclusions

It's not "playing semantics", retard. It's going by their actual definitions and their categories. Just because you degenerate Anglos think anything can be anything doesn't mean the rest of the wolrld is also like that. Go to France, and they think highly of comics, which they call bande dessinée and also respect them a lot. Go to the Hispanosphere, and they have a clear idea and categorization of the arts. Fucking Anglos and their subjective "anything could be anything" bullshit. I bet you think a tranny is a real woman, too. Commit suicide.

Precisely that, it proved that comics can be a prestigious medium, too.

That doesn't make them good

Attached: 5gxu63vn8wn21.jpg (1024x768, 133K)

Based and Categorypilled

Is Sandman good?

terrible toilet paper
would not recommend

>Prove me wrong.

Ok, look at pic related. There you go :)

Attached: the art triangle what is literature.png (802x578, 12K)

/thread

They don't, though.

Watchmen goes from being a comic with great writing to an all round brilliant comic because of the paneling and flow. The literary aspect is only half of the story.
Comics and literature can be art, but comics are not literature, they're a medium of their own.

This is correct. Artistic mediums are mirrors - none are de facto better than another, but all reflect some dimension of reality better than any other can. Highly egotistical people feel drawn towards ranking everything in life though, because they think that by then identifying themselves with what they've given the superlative status to, they thereby receive some of that elation in their own person. Not the case, sadly.

>Imaginative or creative writing, especially of recognized artistic value
it has this therefore it is literature, bucko

dont care what u say im not gonna read your reply in fact im blocking this thread and reporting you to the jannies for being so wrong see ya

Attached: 1525388794348.png (380x349, 77K)

Some of the Crossgen comics were pretty good like The Path. I don't read super hero stuff but I bet there's some cool shit. The Killing Joke is basically Batman trying to be a manga, not that impressive. Gaiman is a shitty hack tool and so is Alan Moore. Berserk is definitely the first thing that comes to mind as absolute quality comic artwork and literature.

>Gaiman is a shitty hack tool and so is Alan Moore.
Gaiman is indeed cringe but Moore is BASED. Take it back.