Umberto Eco

Is it just me or is this guy just a terrible writer? He has no plot and it often feels like I'm being forced to watch a boring TV interview. Like, I get it dude, lets move on, I don't want to listen to two italian dudes discussing whatever that is just you masturbating to your arcane references.

Like seriously, I'm 95 pages into Foucault's Pendulum and it's such a fucking drag. He hasn't described the characters nor the situation or anything about them and then goes on tirades about fucking kabbalic sects and templar sexual woes. Like dude, get a life. None of this is going to be referenced for more than a sentence later and you're making me read pages upon pages of this crap.

Attached: 91419070-3561-44EC-9865-DF57E35BAECC.jpg (1277x1919, 482K)

Other urls found in this thread:

toddalcott.com/screenwriting-101-all-writing-is-rewriting.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You're a pleb, that's it. Thanks for outing yourself to us.

I haven't revealed anything. You, on the other hand, demonstrate your subservience to the crowd.

agree 100%

>he has no plot
>I've read 95 pages of one of his books

hmm

The Name of the Rose has a great plot.

>reading for the plot
>expecting Eco to be like Steven Kang
>sad when he's not
commit suicide

I have not and will never read stephen "pedo" kang

>tirades about fucking kabbalic sects and templar sexual woes
>not interesting
tsktsktsk

The discussions of historical content are meant to show you what sort of people the three main dudes are. Sortof 'show don't tell' but via the mechanism of telling you about something else.

I'd say there are two structural problems in this book though:

a) the opening section, which is meant to be a motivating mystery - how did the guy end up here? - is overlong without being dramatic enough.

b) the Brazil trip is padding, and the development of the suspicious immortal character should have been incorporated into an earlier section.

I've read this book a lot of times and each time is was better.
First time I read it as a thriller, skipping all philosophy and history jibrish, later is started to interest me.

It really got me interested in that esoteric stuff.

Read Dan Brown if Eco is too much for you. Its Eco, but dumbed down for plebs

Attached: 1555000283343.png (1000x432, 137K)

Yeah Dan Brown is a second rate Ecco
I remember reading Illuminati and being pissed off at how much he ripped him off

Foucault's Pendulum and Baudolino are two of my favourites.

Couldn't finish island of the tommorow and the flame or whatever it was called.

>he reads the English translation
never going to make it

he wrote the first 150 pages of his books precisely to filter retards, i guess it worked

You probably don't know enough about Italian ultraleftism in the late 1970s.

Wasn't that for the name of the rose? or did he do it for both?

>Here’s a story: a while back I was up for the gig writing the movie of Umberto Eco’sFoucault’s Pendulum. And I was going through the book, analyzing its structure, and I realized that Eco spends 300 pages, and 12 years of narrative, before anything substantial happens. And I thought that was an odd choice for a master storyteller to make, and I said so to the producer, who laughed and told me that Eco had been surprised by and suspicious of the overwhelming success of his previous novel,The Name of the Rose; he felt if it werethatsuccessful, it must not be smart enough. So forFoucault, he deliberately made the reader wade through 300 pages of sluggish backstory before rewarding them with an electrifying, fast-paced thriller.

toddalcott.com/screenwriting-101-all-writing-is-rewriting.html

>dan brown and eco are his sources for esoteric info

wasn't the brazil trip making some kind of point about roasties?

The sequence with the girlfriend unwillingly giving in to the superstitions she was raised under is top quality, but if you cut it the story of the novel would be unchanged. Bearing in mind how much text is used as a build up to that scene I think that's a structural failing

what a man

Quick reality check

Attached: Screenshot_20190422_162121.jpg (1080x889, 241K)

>Dan Brown is one of my creatures
blasted

His works about art history are pretty good.

>demonstrate your subservience
Learn to write like an adult, faggot.

Umberto Eco books are utter crap.
All of them.

Extrapolate your opinion.

Extrapolate? Okay.

If he's brought back from the dead, his new books will be no better.

Yeah well you know what I think? I think you should be banned for being a brainlet, you dumb little boy. What do you think of that, you dumb fucking bitch? Gonna cry? Gonna piss your pants maybe? Maybe shidd and cumm?

Brainlet cope

thanks bro u just sold me on reading umberto with "tirades about fucking kabbalic sects and templar sexual woes"

TIL Eco is dead

This.
Umberto Eco is boomer junk.

Taking the first 75% of the book before you get to the point is hardly the sign of a good writer, user.