What a boring piece of shit. Why did this guy receive a Nobel prize again?

What a boring piece of shit. Why did this guy receive a Nobel prize again?

Attached: IMG_4794.jpg (308x475, 23K)

its fucking horrible

Remains of the day is pretty good, really different style to never let me go. I dont think hes up there with previous nobel prize winners but he is definitely one of the best contemporary authors. Who else would you have given one to?

diversity

Attached: By the Time We Get to Pluto.jpg (1000x1146, 548K)

He's a Brit. Plus, Japanese are not diversity-tier.

Unironically Le other Japanese meme man.

Murakami? I love some of his works but I dont think he is as good as ishiguro

Because Remains of the Day is unironically an incredible book. One masterpiece can guarantee continued critical acclaim even if everything else you make is awful.

Why didn't the clones just shoot the government? Oh right, its written by liberals

It's decidely meh. Nocturnes, on the other hand, is fucking awful.

I liked it

The Unconsoled was pretty good desu

I liked that book

This. And everything else Ishiguro has written is better than Awful. "Never Let Me Go" is YA-tier Ishiguro: fine enough for what it is, but nowhere near the level of "Remains of the Day" or "An Artist of the Floating World" (my personal favorite); it's somewhere on the level of "Pale View of the Hills" and "The Buried Giant." Ishiguro's only real misfire was "When We Were Orphans," which is still a comfy Shanghai detective tier read.

And "The Unconsoled" is of course a masterpiece as well; probably the best book to have come out in the last 25 years.

The clones share the same fate as the rest of us, user. What good would shooting the government do them?

Murakami is a bit too problematic to receive a nobel now

Why?

His female characters are generally just fuckdolls

This.

Yeah but they are pretty top tier waifus

Rare case of liking the film more than the book.

Book was good though

It was ok, didn't enjoy it nearly as much as some of his others.

Best murakami book?

Sputnik

i loved it, as far as YA goes it's top-tier
made me cry desu

To show those commie cocksuckers whose boss

t. retarded roastie with 100 IQ
FUCK OFF PLEASE

Unfortunately waifus are a no no in the current era

>believing a probe could penetrate a planet's crystal sphere
delusional

>boring
pleb-tier criticism m80

Only a mid-wit pleb is afraid of calling something out as boring

So, what was it all about, really?

Attached: verbose proof tattoo.jpg (640x640, 69K)

Remains of day is also very average tbqh.

A cautionary tale on the importance of the second ammendment

the movie's plot structure is terrible compared to the book's.

Says who?

Objectively incorrect

It's about people accepting their place in the world, it's literally Remains of the day for teenagers.

Post IQ

Not when it's objectively true

I really liked it it's a rare coming of age story that avoids romanticizing all the interesting stuff away. Gets at the understated tragedy of it all without being overbearing
Tbh if you didn't cry in the final part we can't be friends

Why should I cry for these nobodies? Tommy was an idiot, Ruth was an idiot, kathie was an idiot, miss this and that were idiots. This whole book was a pointless, underwritten piece of shit. His prose isn't beautiful, even. Such a slow book and not a single good description.

It's fucking great.

Yea Forums is full of plebs who cannot into subtext

Antonio Lobo Antunes

Made me cry, read it when I was 16.

No idea why he got the nobel prize though.

idk why people are so autistic about "why did this guy get the nobel and not this guy" the nobel is about the person who gets it not those who don't. it's just to give recognition to a writer not to situate him relative to other writers

I think if you've made it that far into the work without finding any way to empathize with any of the characters might say more about you? Kids growing up and having all their clever expectations disappointed, and struggling with everything that's lost in that ought to be fairly universal

>but

t. Never read any decent Murakami

At worst you can say his works have a Male Gaze issue, but Murakami knows how to write interesting women.

Good

I enjoy it specifically for its rather loose structure and patient cinematography. It captures a certain mood really effectively.

I've only read Kafka on the Shore (and enjoyed it), what should I check out next?

Favs (in order):
After Dark
The Rat series
1q84
Norwegian Wood
The Wind Up Bird Chronicles

Avoid:
"Colorless Tsukuru ..."
"South of the Border and ..."

Wind-Up Bird and Hard Boiled Wonderland are the closest to Kafka in my opinion. I'd recommend reading his short story collection "The Elephant Vanishes" above anything though, it's a neat introduction to the different kind of vibes you get from his works.

I've read every Murakami novel though. His female characters are occasionally interesting but they still very much feel like sex objects instead of people. Not that I have a problem with that, but this award literally decided to can a year's award over the metoo shit, Murakami getting it would cause a lot of outrage.

In an Ishiguro thread, if you want to talk about something that is Kafkaesque you should be talking about "The Unconsoled," not the Japanese Meme.

He managed to make it boring. I mean, 96% of teenagers have more interesting lives than that. Literally go up to anyone who grew up in a boarding school and transcribe it to paper.

reading Never Let Me Go without any idea of the plotline was absolutely great. I can see the criticisms that its like YA tier but as a piece of art I think it definitely fulfills all of its intentions.
Remains of the Day is absolutely heartbreaking and brilliant. Which one do I read next?

If you've read those two, complete the 'trilogy' of the same story being told in different ways by reading "An Artist of the Floating World," which is terrific.

Then you have a choice - you can move on to lesser/easier Ishiguro (Orphans, Pale View, Buried Giant*), or move on to "The Unconsoled," a masterpiece for which Ishiguro will be remembered for a century from now.

*There is an argument to be made that I am underselling The Buried Giant, which I find somewhat convincing.

1Q84 and Hard Boiled Wonderland are his two best books, everything else is just going through the motions

lol i'm 106 sucks to be you

>Male Gaze
Yikes.