This is a dangerously depressing book. Every copy of it should be burned and it should never published again...

This is a dangerously depressing book. Every copy of it should be burned and it should never published again. I'm honestly feeling suicidal after having finished reading it.

Attached: 5105gpB-xFL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (333x499, 26K)

>I'm honestly feeling suicidal after having finished reading it.
Good, keep going in that direction until you come out a contented existentialist with no potential for anxiety or depression.
Watch Tarkovsky’s Solaris next.

>Good, keep going in that direction until you come out a contented existentialist with no potential for anxiety or depression.
Post your list / bookshelf.

i find it comfy wtf u on about

Is there an audiobook somewhere? How does it compare to Notes From Underground? I got through it some time ago and I'd love some more blackpill lit.

For this particular end? The chief works I’d recommend
Confession of Philosophy, Boethius
de Sade’s 120 Days of Sodom
Ariel, Sylvia Plath
To Build a Fire, Jack London
The Dead, James Joyce

Camus is a little melodramatic and pop and I don’t care for Dostoevsky. Anything treating existentialism directly is usually ineffective because the only real way to become an existentialist isn’t by thinking about it, it’s by ripping your soul apart until you become suicidal, then DON’T kill yourself, but instead continue through life from the perspective of death, and without fear of dying (since you’re already making an effort not to kill yourself anyway). This grounds you (eliminates all superficiality) and takes the scales from your eyes so that you can see the world and humanity as it really is (it’s not pretty, never has been and never will be).

And as for movies I’d recommend (going with theme of 5) Martyrs, Solaris, 2001, Valerie and Her Week of Wonders, Blue is the Warmest Color

I loved the last page of that book where he talks about the strangers that left him and how he too will disappear one day

>Every copy of it should be burned and it should never published again.
If only we could ever maintain such lofty heights of literary acumen. *sigh* I'll just have to hear Plato moan about the what could have beens...

>"de Sade’s 120 Days of Sodom"
>not recommending Juliet
Some people have no taste

Attached: MammothRichAmericanindian.gif (320x180, 705K)

I’d recommend all of de Sade ultimately, but if someone is coming to him for the first and possibly only time, 120 Days of Sodom is ideal. Juliette is a little cutesy and basic in comparison, but still fine.

bumpity

Too long.

You are a casual aren't you?

Ebic supercility, shut the fuck up spectator

He hasn't actually read either of them.

What an insecure loser you are lmao why else would you start agitating for no reason

It's true. Anyone recommending 120 has only seen the Pasolini movie.

Yeah seems legit, nice projection. I’ve read all of de Sade multiple times. You came in here for the sole purpose of slinging shit and acting superior for no reason, that speaks for itself.

>Confession of Philosophy, Boethius

That is indeed what it seems to say

Calm down, idiot.

>punches someone
>gets punched back
>calm down idiot!!!
High IQ on display here

I read it as a cautionary tale of his particular reaction to life. I don’t think he could help it, the weariness and torpor he spoke about seemed like fundamentally a severe depression, and his character as an extreme and cold introvert was there from when he was a child. We’ve all felt that pull to disappear into our fantasies, especially when life is shitty, but to do so so wholeheartedly is fucked, and it had dire effects on his state of being, it sounded horrible. As I say, he couldn’t help it, it was natural for him, and he went further than anyone did in this particular literary field, and so he triumphed, but for anyone else i’d Recommend cognitive behavioral therapy, healthy life habits and a balance between living and reflective introversion.

Why should every copy be burned and it never published again?

Did you read the complete version though?

What are you on about? It's not that bad, jesus. It's even part of the syllabus for high school over here. Also for depressing books, check out Osamu Dazai's No Longer Human

>It's even part of the syllabus for high school over here
Are you Portuguese?
this is so weird, I don't think highschool kid would be interested in this book nor capable of understanding it.

Bernardo Soares is literally me so either you’re a normalfag or I need help
What do the Stacies and normalfags think of it?

Maybe it's depressing for complacent half wits who delude themselves a lot about the nature of reality. But for people who are disillusioned with reality it is very consoling to hear someone echo such beautiful insights into the human condition.

I like Vonnegut's Mother Night better, even though it has a vastly darker ending, it covers a similar topic, but from a less bitch-like perspective. Instead of the main character bitching about how society doesn't allow him to spread his wings and how he can be the king (or whatever he wants to be) in his dreams, Vonnegut creates a more mature case, where society accepts and punishes the protagonist for every little bit of his (public) presentation.

I agree that Pessoa is more poetic, and that's all, if the thoughts echoed through the book make you feel depressed and you mentally jump around like a little girl because omg they are so relatable, then go see a professional.

Attached: vonnegut.jpg (480x325, 33K)

It's not obligatory reading, we just have to read parts of it and be generally acquainted with the theme of the book and stuff like that, in case we have to interpret some excerpt for a test.
We dedicate almost an entire year to Pessoa and his hetheronyms, and people generally seemed to like it, even though it's definitely complex, particularly the poetry. It's also infinitely more interesting than the 19th century romantic and realist novels we have to read before it, for a high school student at least

You dindn't answer if you were from Portugal, but judging from this response, you can't be from elsewhere.
Since you seem to know have certain knowledge of his work, I will ask your opinion on a topic. What are his best poems written under his own name(other than Mensagem)?
Also, is there anything worth reading besides Caeiro, Soares, de Campos and Ricardo Reis?

shit taste

br*silieras probably read him too

this
it's very pretty

>blue is the warmest color
nothing but theater fodder for perverts. the director is also a pervert who only wanted to realize his fantasy of breathing the same sweaty air as thicc lesbo whyte girls

not in high school

Not to get too sappy, but I really like the DFW quote that's something like: "good literature disturbs the comfortable and comforts the disturbed"

Yeah, I'm Portuguese.
Pessoa has barely anything edited or published, so there's really no collection of poems I can recommend you. His poems are pretty short too. "Autopsicografia", "Não sei se é sonho ou realidade", "Não sei quantas almas tenho", etc. are some titles I can remember off the top of my head.
Those 4 are the main heteronyms, and personally I haven't read much from the others. Maybe check out Alexander Search, it was one of the first heteronyms he created, and some of what he wrote is in English. Also check out "The Anarchist Banker", a short tale written by him. It's a pretty short and entertaining read

I see, I have quite a collection of Pessoa myself, but I wanted to know if I was missing something. I have read this banqueiro anarquista and didn't find it really amusing. Thanks for the answer.

I loved this book so much. It's utter lack of pretension, it's indifference to ambition and emotional intensity, its frank interest in nothing beyond itself. Utterly great read, and one of the few books which has actually influenced my life for the better. I would recommend Against the Grain, which is similar but more hostile and bitter.

If you can't get 'sappy' on Yea Forums, then God help you.

Attached: st,small,215x235-pad,210x230,f8f8f8.lite-1u1.jpg (210x230, 9K)

If someone who already feels suicidal reads this, what would happen? Rhetorically speaking.
>Osamu Dazai's No Longer Human
Good taste.
>Against the Grain
For something so "unknown" it really does come up often. Hollerback went on and on about Joris-Karl Huysmans but I've never heard him mentioned by normalfriends the way other major authors are. It only has 9k ratings on goodreads. I clicked a random semi-popular literary novel that came out in the past decade and it had 100k, for comparison, and major classics get over 1mil. He seems to be a fundamentally important author but somehow completely obscure outside select literary circles. I only found it to begin with because I wanted to read what Dorian Grey supposedly had, the "little yellow book".
That turtle, though.

Attached: 76b48395a2f7b5ef2be92fb5f6e504f3.jpg (1280x1814, 442K)

>recommending Sade
They really haven't.

That's your fault OP, all I got out of it was enjoyment.

faggot BTFO

I'm getting the New Directions edition. Is everyone else reading the Penguin ed.?

I have the 2002 Serpent's Tail edition.

Why not the book?

>recommending "Juliet" (it's Juliette)
>not recommending Justine

sneed

>t. 16 years old

Would be willing to bet my soul that this is not true. You're way too stupid to have the attention span for Juliette

What really is the point to LARPing about books you haven't actually read? What do you literally get out of it? It's so pathetically sad

Am I the only one who thought this book was rather life affirming?

It made me get over my resentment for people and focus on doing good.

>good
>being a moralfag

Why read, if not to bully people who've read like 10 pages less than you and are probably just as intelligent? plab

Attached: cc_shutterstock_96674344-copy.jpg (450x253, 15K)

>Blue is the Warmest Color
is this legit or a meme?