I'm trying to get my 14yo nephew into reading (he just plays vidya and uses social media all day)

I'm trying to get my 14yo nephew into reading (he just plays vidya and uses social media all day).

I was thinking of getting him either pic related or Death in Venice. Are they good entry-level books?

Attached: 6c4b8d8133edfdb4a0b4416b37016de0.jpg (324x500, 39K)

Fitzgerald. he's the goat and he's accessable.

Death in Venice is boring to death
Dorian Gray is probably too difficult, you'll need a lot of lube
Try some gay comics first

The sailor who fell from grace with the sea
I was 13 the first time I read it and I liked it immensely

Did you get your friends to murder a sailor after reading it?

>getting your 14 year old nephew Death in Venice
based?

Attached: 1544334652359.png (276x305, 330K)

Don Quixote

If he doesn't read then if you give him something dry it almost certainly isn't going to maintain his interest.

Try something aimed at children, but decent, like Artemis Fowl.

You're trying to turn him gay aren't you

Lel

I really think he prefers having sex.

Tolkien?

>want to get a 14 year old kid into reading
>everyone suggest boring old shit books no one cares about

No wonder this medium has become obsolete. Imagine actually being this out of touch.

OP, just leave him alone. You'll only make him hate reading and hate you.

Death in Venice and DG are both beautiful works but would be inappropriate for a 14 year old because for one it would be pearls before swine, but also if either choice isn’t appreciated, it could have the opposite affect to your intentions. I would suggest something less serious just so that reading can first become as enjoyable recreation as gaming- Michael Crichton blew my mind when I was between 14 and 16- Chuck Palahniuk too. After falling in love with reading, one discovers the immense legacy that can be discovered.
Perhaps find a serious work of fiction that also has a well made film adaptation which would bridge interests and offer an incentive to see the film’s original form.

Holy fuck

Probably Harry Potter or something?

Start with the greeks

I enjoyed reading Jurassic Park at that age.

/thread

Personally, I started with 1984 at 14.

give him something like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. it's just edgy enough to get him to want to read. hell like how fast paced it is and probably think it's hilarious that the main characters and on drugs all the time. HST learned how to write from copying Fitzgerald and Hemingway so the writing styles are similar and you can give him something like Gatsby or The Sun Also Rises after he finishes FaL

also like other anons were saying, Jurassic Park was the first big boy novel i ever read at probably 10 or so and it really got me into reading so you might try that. i'm 21 and i don't know what the modern 14 year old would like but science fiction is probably a safe bet because you're a faggot if you don't like dinosaurs

Are you trying to fuck your nephew?