Previous book owner is highlighting things that are useless to the meaning of a passage

>previous book owner is highlighting things that are useless to the meaning of a passage

Attached: 1554432638647.jpg (960x960, 30K)

hahahah what a retard

Attached: 1554362045395.jpg (800x600, 159K)

>previous book owner writes a synonym of the authors word in the margins

>previous book owner highlights everything because he things that will be prove to others that he read the book

>op thinks he has authority over the meaning of another's writer's passage to the reception of another reader

Attached: 1555726731551.jpg (891x700, 39K)

My favorite hobby is highlighting useless passages in library books. Sometimes I even tear out useful sections, like the time I tore Parmenides and Phaedo out of a full set of Plato's dialogues and threw them away. I figured, y'know, only the difficult will inspire the truly Noble hearted.

Attached: qA0IEhDAOjQ6Kt9ouEwk7e9C_2Iva9PgFdeqNZnVGAE.jpg (640x652, 36K)

>excessive highlighting trails off and disappears altogether before 100 pages

>previous owner's annotations unlock the secret meaning of the bible

Attached: 1527904299808.png (245x298, 133K)

>iFunny
Where do you think you are?

>previous book owner leaves notes that repeat what is already on the page, only in pig latin.

This is how I convince myself I've read a book.

often annotation helps you get a foothold on a thinker by making note of their complex arguments or selecting what you take to be their key points, and so around a 1/4 mark you have a good enough footing to stop annotating altogether. my copy of Stirner is rife with desperate annotation throughout the first two chapters and by the end everything he's saying has become so clear and even obvious I hardly bothered at all

>previous book owner highlights punctuation and crosses out hyphens

cringe

I love it when they make corrections that are incorrect or stupid :3

My original copy of Euclid's Elements had 10000000 of these.

>original book owner wrote a loving personal inscription to the person receiving it as a gift
>they sold it
;_;

Also I had a copy of Leon Walras' Elements of Pure Economics that had one highlight and something in the back.

It was Walras' stating the 'price' or 'cost' of human labor in the project of production.

The note in the back was 'the point of human degradation'. I mean how stupid can you possibly be. Walras is simply trying to describe the state of affairs. If you agree or disagree with that, that's something for another book entirely. He was just a mathematician.

Actually Walras did have some books on his opinions on economic situations, but that book in particular has very few 'opinions'. And him trying to create a functional system out of variables is not 'human degradation'. Lol. 3

>get a used copy of gabriel garcia marquez's chronicle of a death foretold
>previous owner wrote WHY/WTF at every mention of the upcoming murder in pink highlighter and got mad about the main character dying

Attached: BF0F1B52-4844-48D2-A92E-95E91FB18B67.jpg (622x680, 113K)

Everything about this post sickens me

It's interesting that here you must be a complete moron to write in the book, because it's perceived as a sort of sacred thing. In the west it seems you're encouraged to make notes to demonstrate that you are smart enough and able to produce valuable insights from the text.

>Only copy of Pope's Homer I could find
>previous owner puts "Simpson" at the end of "Homer" in the title page
>highlights a handful of sentences in the intro and then nothing for the rest of the book

Attached: 1505333068447.png (691x653, 27K)

lol

>Buy a copy of Nausea
>Previous owner had underlined words and phrases throughout the book
>Then writes the same phrases next to the underlined section throughout the book
>Entire book just has random scribbling a of “fear of changes?”, “afraid of people?”, “change”, “freedom”, “happy”, “afraid of beginnings?”, “beginnings”, “afraid of the dark?”, “afraid of anny leaving him?”

Somebody should read through annotated books before reselling them to make sure they’re not written by retards

except the pepe

>the previous owner had a nice message from their relative remarking the book was a gift
>The next book in the same series has a similar gift message but from a different person to a different person

Even scarier because it was a WW2 nonfiction so there's a high chance the dad the book was for is dead.

Attached: 9342949294042.jpg (600x500, 36K)

>Nowdays we're likely to see sneed written in an Iliad copy.

Attached: 1532217554323.png (324x352, 201K)

>previous owner highlights "difficult" words

You're scum

You're a good man who seeks to challenge those who wish to engage with Plato's thought, something Plato himself would have encouraged. Sad to see anons getting in their feelings over this, but I suppose they are the result of being allowed to read Plato without challenge.

>previous owner wrote the time and place she bought the book
>more than half a century ago in a foreign country
>she's most likely dead by now
It hurts bros

Thank you,user.If you can't work out the Timaeus from the Critias, you're a pleb, and if you can't work out Republic and at least Symposium from the Timaeus, you're insufficiently patrice to write anything of note in a modern age.

I own a full set of Great Books. I've never opened my copy of Iliad and Odyssey, and I intend to have it destroyed before I ever pass it on. No one, not a soul, will ever glance a page of this book since it was first made. Ne-ver.

Attached: 1e9fd0c4791cddd0fbe14df3a9a5c52.jpg (763x1049, 149K)

>previous book owner
I can't even.

Beautiful, I would encourage everyone to follow this user's method. By destroying the works of the old the new will be driven to fill the chasm that has come from destruction, and from that drive will come an age of replenishment for the world of literature. Stay strong,, and feel free to do this with other great works.

not on 9gag where people are obsessed with the origin of pics which you most likely got by googling the thing you were looking for instead of having it saved in a folder like some loser

>>previous owner has manually added changed from newer editions but has also added his thoughts and since both are in the same style is hard to tell them apart.

based

It's like hugging myself, reading these words. Poetry in prose. I would fuck you, if you were here, now, in either your holes or mine, the choice would be ours.

Attached: alien.jpg (780x382, 37K)

>ask cute girl in my course a book we have to read
>it's a 1932 novel and she has an old ass version of it
>she lends it to me because she has already read it
>it's full of comments written in pencil
>the novel is a bore but her comments make it bearable

I like the fact that books are an object people can make theirs. I've also highlited stuff from some novels but I think i'll start writing small comments like her. It makes reading more interactive and you can revisit it and ahve a laugh.

Attached: 1377085313103.png (500x500, 146K)

That's hilarious.

Attached: 1459364059083.gif (241x241, 588K)

still the best post in this thread

t. Derrida

>is highlighting
>currently - as you are reading it

fking lole'd
also dubs

Based

did you make her your wife?

Oh no it's looked down on here as gross negligence of your tools. I still do it because it makes me hard to make people angry

>writing in books
you all belong in a gas chamber

thanks for the new pepes

I don’t believe, those are longer dialogues. You would be tearing out a noticeable chunk out of the book.

>(You) rn

Attached: images.png (284x177, 4K)

if you dont write in your book youre just reading in the most passive manner, skimming through it just to stroke your ego.

Alright I know it's bait but
>Not highlighting things of personal meaning in one colour and highlighting things of which you believe are relative to the main message in the book in another
>not still being wrong 25-50% of the time based on experience level

>previous book owner has defaced the book in any way

People don't actually do this, right?

Attached: 1551214551709.jpg (400x465, 71K)

>useless to the meaning of a passage
why write it then?

ODYSNEED

>the previous owner clearly has never read the book

Attached: 1555809719597.gif (840x488, 584K)

>In the west
I know there's this meme about Yea Forums being an Armenian imageboard or something like that, but you are aware that most of us are westerners as well, right?

Having said that, I don't have any problem writing notes in a textbook but it just feel wrong with something more important, fiction or non fiction.

>it was a gift from previous owner's girlfriend

Attached: 1411072130118.jpg (499x499, 49K)

roasties get toasted

was going to say something similar

>previous book owner
Fucking cuck.

Also this.

>the previous owner left yellow stains on some of the pages
Seriously wtf? I can't tell if they're stains from food, drinks, or just straight up piss. I wish I could meet the fucker who used to own it just so I can ask what the fuck did they do with the book.

>the previous owner leaves any indication of use whatsoever, including highlighting, annotations, stains, a pubic hair, dog ears, mystery fluids.
Not including free bookmarks

Attached: 9FD12421-6EEC-49A5-8AF6-2FBB9304D8A5.jpg (792x792, 218K)

>secret bookmark falls out of middle section of used book
>free bookmark
Thanks satan

Attached: F2705B36-77B8-4C3D-8944-AC60D67A579F.jpg (512x384, 30K)

>previous owner was using tissue paper as bookmarks

>previous owner was a master scholar who reveals the secret of the universe in the margins
>book was a mass market womans romance novel

Attached: saintkreia.jpg (500x500, 38K)

Exactly. Nothing will ever make me foeger that foe three years i was treated worse than a dog, accused of rape by rapists, accused of pedophilia by pedophiles, acussed of weakness by bitches. Not that they have me securely tied to their wall they resent having to tie me down to intravenously feed me because im bor bekng a good slave. So they play classical music and feed me lobster, and have cunts dancs for me hoping against hope ill accept being tied to a wall and treated like a lab rat. They can suck my dick and kill me over the next six years because inwonr give up until these murdering rapist hannibal voyeuristic faggots pull their faggot voyeuristic lying dicks out of my fucking ass.

I got a used copy of Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man where the previous owner literally highlighted every other sentence. What even is the point of doing this?

Attached: 1553118714610.png (182x186, 46K)

>He doesn't gift his friends books and then stalk them in order to perform stealth highlighter assaults as they read

previous book owner makes new agey comments

Very popular with non-native speakers.

>previous book owner
no thanks

Attached: 1434480696858.png (401x367, 9K)

he does have authority

okay i kek'd

Yeah what does he think some shit some yoekel wrote is his thoughts? No bitch that's the same as the other words on the paper: MINE

this is a brainlet cope. the goal of reading is retrieving the information in the most similar way to how the writer proposed it.

Devilish

I wish this was a joke. In addition to the text itself, my suspicion that all anarchists are brainlets was confirmed.

Attached: 20190422_011700.jpg (5312x2988, 3.24M)

4channel.org doesn't like my phone camera for some reason

Attached: Screenshot_2019-04-22-01-29-12.png (1080x1920, 1.89M)

Didn't you learn how to draw straight lines when you were a kid?

Attached: shame.jpg (500x500, 25K)

I didn't make the lines, I bought the book used and it came like that

Wow, it really shows that I need to get sleep.
Sorry.

Attached: 4FA95F7E-98D2-4A39-AA41-10DF320E02AB.jpg (830x1024, 92K)

based and Kreia pilled

wat

p based

based

Attached: 1551571183158.jpg (392x433, 14K)

>guy didn't own the book
>just wrote in it and put it back on the shelf

>he doesn't highlight what the author isn't saying

based

Attached: happy-man-laughing-reading-newspaper-work-77689077.jpg (1300x957, 150K)

>the goal of reading
*buzzer noise* ERRRRRRR
ALREADY GOT IT WRONG, BITCH

Attached: hardrstorage.jpg (480x360, 10K)