Is being a good person an act of hedonism?

Is being a good person an act of hedonism?
Behaving immorally and selfishly is clearly more practical and safe, so the only possible reason to be a good person must be pleasure derived from such act.

Attached: nxbXBXBX.jpg (424x550, 17K)

Who cares, man.
Do what you want, cause a pirate is free.

No thats heresy

Yes. People who are trying to do good are selfish. All actions are inherently selfish. Since amoral greed is selfish, it follows that greed is good. Thus it follows that capitalism is good.

we are capable of unselfishly loving one another, and in that sense we're absolutely alone as a species. that's why the christian myth is true, it dramatizes the idea that man is divine.

Maybe, but what's wrong with feeling good?

hedonism isn't inherently bad

To be moral is to do exactly that which is most beneficial to you. The existence of an afterlife prevents certain immoral acts on Earth from being moral. Without the afterlife, one could steal or lie without any possibility of punishment in some circumstances.

It is a common belief that we act in accordance with self-interest. This doesn't necessarily mean that self-interest is equivalent to selfishness. Ethical action typically is rooted in happiness. But this being said, happiness need not be selfish. We want our actions to impact the world in a greater way, and actually doing this can give us a sense of completeness in everything else. In other words, If we act like we are inherently a causal force for a greater good, our happiness will not be derived from ourselves, but instead from the well-being of all things. So, though our actions are done in self-interest, this isn't in allignment only with ourselves (as it would be if we were selfish), but also in alignment with the benefit of the world as a whole. Instead of acting for the sake of selfish pleasure, it is fulfillment in holistic goodness.

If being a good person is hedonistic and being a bad person is hedonistic, then what’s so bad about being a good person?

>capable of unselfishly loving one another
You can't prove that.

We’re all “hedonists” in some sense, in that we seek the most good for ourselves. The pleasure-seeking hedonists are simply doing it the wrong way

i don't need to, everyone basically knows it

No, there are other reasons. I'm nice out of spite.

>everyone basically knows it
"everyone" is a stupid guy and you shouldn't listen to him. Unselfish love is a nigh fantastical concept which cannot be shown to be true. Behind every altruistic love hides personal gain. You love things because things are either good for you, or make you feel good.

Loving someone intrinsically is possible, but that doesn't mean that acting with that person in mind isn't done in a way that is rooted in pleasure. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but you need to justify that your claim implies that it isn't hedonistic.

those are harsh words
>love things because things are either good for you, or make you feel good
love is never either of these really though is it?

What about people who stay in abusive relationships that are clearly making them miserable because they "love" their partner and believe others simply don't understand them like they do?

why are you putting love in quotes?

implied quote from the person staying in the relationship. not scare quotes

Give me an example of unselfish love and I'll show you a hypocrite.
Typically, heroism is touted to be the grandest gesture of unselfishness, the triumph of human will above animal instincts. How can a man possibly be selfish when he sacrifices his own lives to save other? The mistake here, ofcouse, is mistaking self-preservation with selfishness. The latter is intrinsic to human species, while the former isn't (proven quite easy by any suicide case). A heroic man saves other for the intrinstic, selfish pleasure of being righteous, good, for the ecstatic joy of doing a noble thing, for the fetishistic desire to fulfill his destiny or some other tenet of his ideological zeal. Nevertheless, the man has to justify himself. This justification is a check, crude biological mechanism, a valve through which every thought needs to pass if it wishes to become an action.

Nothing like an edgy teenage philosopher. If you really believe that then I feel sorry for you, you apparently have a dearth of good people in your life.

refer to
These people in abusive relationships, surely "love" their partners, but more than that, they love themselves, for being close to a saintly status. To love and suffer is a shortcut to the joys of martyrdom.

Free will and true selflessness are brainlet filters

that's not love that's just sentimentality.
love is really a recognition of truth, a recognition of another person’s integrity and truth that makes both of you light up when you recognize the quality in the other. that’s what love is. it’s a recognition of singularity. and love is giving and giving and giving. not looking for any return.
the greeks thought it was a form of madness.

for one to do Good:
the motive must be duty
the duty must be that of the Law
thus hedonism and Good are opposed

Attached: valley.gif (500x700, 563K)

Let me guess, incel that has never experienced love?

Attached: 1549482768776.png (500x590, 71K)

that is terrible

Blessed are the meek.
Meek in this case means the ones who can destroy but choose not to.
If you are only good because you fear the consequences of doing wrong things then you are just a coward who says he is moral to hide is own feelings.

Being selfish is a good short term strategy but a piss poor long term one.

>incel

Attached: 6hn.jpg (856x846, 71K)