Anyone read this?

Anyone read this?

Attached: 9780143133148.jpg (299x450, 59K)

Mystic Cowboy? More like Homo Buttboi.
What I'm saying is take the trip off before attempting communication, gaybo.

I built up a character on /x/ for the sum total of 20 (you)'s

Attached: Screenshot_20190331-215039_Video_Player.jpg (1280x720, 358K)

most of our motivation in life is not the result of hiding from fear of mortality, most of it just instincts we evolved. Social status feels good because our ancestors who felt good about social status were more likely to have kids, not because it's a way to ignore the fear of death.

When you do happen to think about mortality then yeah you repress it mostly, but he acts like awareness of mortality is the basal state of consciousness, instead of just one random thought that occurs to us. (and many people genuinely dont give much of a shit about mortality, even on their deathbeds)

is it worth the read though?

Oh I assumed you'd read it and were asking opinions. Yeah it's a fun read for sure

ok thanks

I read 50 pages of it then got bored and picked up some true crime book.

I had a slightly different take. I felt like Ligotti's main focus in this book was on conscious awareness itself - that consciousness evolved as a trait to aid survival, but that the awareness of our inevitable mortality (creepy as that may be) was second to our lack of control within the world at large - that the development of conscious awareness made us realize the deterministic character of nature, which made us aware that we are all mere automatons - marionettes of fate/physics - and that because of this consciousness has to retard itself to the point where we are -mostly- unaware of these things, but that the occasional glimpse of them we get becomes Lovecraftian in its monstrosity, finality, vastness, and inevitability. That intentional retardation on the part of our consciousness is what I took to be the eponymous 'conspiracy against the human race'.

I liked the book overall. It's a decent little primer on philosophical pessimism, and I found the occasional dry wit quite charming.

Attached: 1555304674428.png (650x550, 540K)

Good summary. Thanks user.

That is definitely all accurate, the denial of our puppet nature. He does also talk about denying mortality though

The grim bleakness enveloped me. Tendrils of grey mist curled around my ankles as I was overcome with a profound sense of apathy. Alexa, play Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

Has anyone read his story 'purity'? I read it a week or so ago and can't stop thinking about it. So many tantalising plot threads that feel like they should connect, but it seems to defy any proper plot comprehension Does anyone have an analysis of it?

>tfw ywn have a based stirner dad

>I had a slightly different take. I felt like Ligotti's main focus in this book was on conscious awareness itself - that consciousness evolved as a trait to aid survival, but that the awareness of our inevitable mortality (creepy as that may be) was second to our lack of control within the world at large - that the development of conscious awareness made us realize the deterministic character of nature, which made us aware that we are all mere automatons - marionettes of fate/physics - and that because of this consciousness has to retard itself to the point where we are -mostly- unaware of these things, but that the occasional glimpse of them we get becomes Lovecraftian in its monstrosity, finality, vastness, and inevitability. That intentional retardation on the part of our consciousness is what I took to be the eponymous 'conspiracy against the human race'.
In other words, read The Last Messiah by Zapffe.

Just read it. Was terrific. A while back I read one of his earlier collections and was really disappointed by most of it, vampires and bad clowns and shit. The only thing I really enjoyed was the creepy smalltown festival. Purity was miles better - is that collection all up to its level?

Especially liked the two goons in Candy's house.

Read it a few months ago and I liked it. It's basically a horror book disguised as a philosophically essay, but it makes some good points about human consciousness and existence.

Read Teatro Grottesco and My Work Is Not Yet Done: Three Tales of Corporate Terror.

It is a fantastic read, although as an anti-natalist myself I tend to subscribe to the consent argument

I quite liked it, the prose is a bit bombastic and it's mostly a rehashing of the ideas of other philosophers/scientists/authors, but in a way that makes them more palatable

Cool. Hate the title, but My Work is Not Yet Done actually looks like it'd be up my street. Less camp, more actual subversion.