Good poetry

I tried reading some modern poetry and it was literally the worst shit I've ever read. Can you recommend me some good, timeless poetry? Preferrably kind dark and shit

Attached: 1546707505179.png (387x409, 228K)

Just read Wordsworth forever. We had a great thread for his birthday recently, you can probably find it in the catalog easily.

. If you’re a hardcore poetry fan, Paradise Lost. Otherwise, read Keats. Ode to a Nightingale, Ode to Psyche, Sleep and Poetry, etc. No one ever regretted reading Keats

Yeats 'n' Keats my friend.

Dickinson
Blake
Yeats/Keats
Ginsberg

Attached: DFZD2B3XUAMnHNq.jpg (640x640, 32K)

Ezra Pound
Dante
Kanye West
Robert Frost

The romantics, my dude. Try Keats - La Belle Dame sans Merci.

that poem makes no sense beethoven was deaf and he wrote his ix symphony lol, try harder rupi

Stfu shitlord, you just hate her deep, painfully meaningful poetry because she's a talented, independent WOC and not some dead old white man.

Attached: Screen_Shot_2017-08-07_at_11.07.39_AM.jpg (1896x1022, 342K)

Foul wench! Shitty whore!
I would claw you if I had claws
And mold you if you didn't have mold
Down there (you know where)
But alas I must harken unto thee
One thousand times ere mine eyelids
Close for whom the bell tolls.

Time marches on.

Attached: 220px-Alexander_Pope_be_Michael_Dahl.jpg (220x273, 9K)

This

La Belle Dame is one of his worst but ok

Rupi sounds like rupee
Kaur rhymes with whore
there might be some money in this
if I shill it some more
- Rupi Kaur

Larkin and Eliot work for me.

>ezra pound
wtf

Larkin is v dark

Pushkin

If you can get your hands on it, misanthropos by thom gun. He is decently contemporary (not a romantic) and dark.

Good thread OP, I was thinking about expanding my poetry reading too.

At this point, I read Dickinson, Frost, and Poe. Anyone else have more metered poets to read? I'll get into free verse eventually

Can someone unironically explain how this can be considered good?

apology for poor english

when were you when he cut ears off

i was sat at home drinking brain fluid when keats ring

'she was music'

'no'

and you?????????????

The poem appeals chiefly to young women's sense of unappreciable specialness, uniqueness, and supposed mystical power. The poem is basically empty space into which the young woman reader can apply her own life experience, with the words that are there serving as a framework to reenforce the reader's self-perception, facile or fallacious as it may be. Written another way, the poem might say something like "I'm not like the other girls / take me back Tom god damnit :(((," right. Because you are not a young woman, because you do not believe yourself to carry these supernatural qualities of feminine beauty, the poem reads to you like a couple shitty lines on a mostly-blank page; a carriage turning back into a pumpkin. It's a carnival trick.

You can still hear if your ears are cut off

I can't recommend Blake hard enough. Read that nigger ASAP

>specialness, uniqueness, and supposed mystical power
Why do so many women have this? And thanks for that post, it really clarifies something I've not been able to put into words.

Apollinaire is the GOAT of poets, FACT

Attached: 220px-Guillaume_Apollinaire_foto.jpg (220x335, 18K)

It's cultural training. Think about, for instance, the messages of Barbie dolls versus those of GI Joe, how children are taught to interact with these things, the messages that the media surrounding them tell these children practically from birth. Think about the characters that you identified with as a child versus those your sister might have, right.

I love how it is assumed that the man in this scenario is to blame for having his ears cut off. What the fuck is wrong with women?

Umm... nothing, sweetie. What the fuck is wrong with YOU?

Ted hughes is great.
He is kind of like the ultimate chad that also made two women kill themselves when he stopped giving them the dick.

One of those women was sylvia plath, and some of her poems, the ones she wrote before going apeshit are patrician.
Other than that, I don't know, nigga, read garcía lorca, neruda, ruben darío, coaltazar, but only if you read spanish.

Attached: 634824672.jpg (1300x955, 92K)

Larkin is a f a g g o t

ginsburg is as bad as Rupi you clown

What’s wrong with this?

Unironically this

Attached: ariel.jpg (658x1000, 64K)

It's easy to sell something to something that thinks they're made of magic

Wallace Stevens and Robert Frost are good modern poets

Poetry grad student here. Dont give up on contemporary poetry too quickly! Most of it is shit bc most hasnt had time to let the great stuff rise. There IS good, current poetry out there but its harder to find. Im actually trying to familiarise myself with recent stuff more.

For very recent poets i suggest:
Christian Bok
Patrica Lockwood
Anne Carson
James Merrill
John Ashbery
Seamus Heaney

For good stuff in general:
Rimbaud
Blake
Shelley (longer works)
Roethke
Hayden
Basho

I think the beat poets are garbage and gave rise to rupi kaur, rksin, atticus, etc tier trash.

She would never rhyme. Rhyming is a tool of patriarchal oppression.

Attached: original.jpg (640x1136, 55K)

honestly the poem of hers in your attached picture is actually good. i've always dismissed her work but it seems like some of her corpus might be worth a read

woof

are on your side
and wiiiilde is on mine
If any woman you’re ever involved with admits to liking Plath you literally can’t run away fast enough. Her poetry is interesting in the way that reading about a serial killer is interesting, it’s looking in on someone’s who’s legitimately unhinged, but for some fucking reason women look at her and think “yaaaass queen, slaaaay”

>one of his worst
dude

This is exactly the type of shit I was thinking of when I made this thread

Whoops I replied to the wrong person. I meant the one about sticking jellybeans up their ass lol

Larkin is a painful jazz pleb tho

Dog, it's too much enjambment, if you like that read some Japanese haiku-they have a lot more going on

Karl Shapiro. Try "Auto Wreck".

I had an ex who loved Rupi Kauer, so I gave her The Prophet and Sand and Foam and she said she didn't like them.

>modern poetry
>literally the worst shit I've ever read
looks like someone hasn't read Only Revolutions yet, the greatest poem of all time, written in 2006

Attached: Only Revolutions.jpg (220x383, 24K)

To Christ our Lord

I caught this morning morning's minion, king-
dom of daylight's dauphin, dapple-dawn-drawn Falcon, in his riding
Of the rolling level underneath him steady air, and striding
High there, how he rung upon the rein of a wimpling wing
In his ecstasy! then off, off forth on swing,
As a skate's heel sweeps smooth on a bow-bend: the hurl and gliding
Rebuffed the big wind. My heart in hiding
Stirred for a bird, – the achieve of, the mastery of the thing!

Brute beauty and valour and act, oh, air, pride, plume, here
Buckle! AND the fire that breaks from thee then, a billion
Times told lovelier, more dangerous, O my chevalier!

No wonder of it: shéer plód makes plough down sillion
Shine, and blue-bleak embers, ah my dear,
Fall, gall themselves, and gash gold-vermilion.

Attached: 9161faf70ec626c6d2ac4c195370d35b.jpg (1229x2048, 202K)

my dude.

Howl is a masterpiece you buffoon. Ginsberg's free verse is flowing and apocalyptic like ebic verses out of Revelations, not trite, pointlessly enjambed faux-clever Kushandlyrikz-style couplets about the superiority of the WOC point of view.

Hey man, thanks a lot for this list. You just got me into Carson and Roethke which is great. But as a poetry grad student, I've a qustion for you, why is so much contemporary poetry devoid of the mysticism that so lushly h inhabitated the tradition for centuries? And by mysticism i dont mean in the vein of say, Basho or Du Fu, I mean, the clear electric spiritual quality you can find from Spenset to Whitman to Crane. There was an interesting mysticism to great poetry that seems to have dwindled in the past few years and I don't know if its intentional or not. Do you know what I'm talking about? Does anyone in this thread? The contemporary poets seem so grounded in an icy reality that doesn't even attempt to approach the soul of the past. And this may very well be a stylistic choice, but I believe one can surely integrate the mysticism of the canon and the hardness of today's writing, but maybe not. I'm not sure if im articulating this idea well anyway. Thanks again for the list though.

What do you think of metered poetry? I am still somewhat new to poetry and love it. It is understandable how it fell out of fashion after being used exhaustively, but will it make a comeback?

Attached: shedevil.jpg (450x300, 29K)

he was a product of his time. if he was born in the 90s he'd like hip hop

Aldous huxley, Henry therou, Alan Watts

Im so glad to help!

I would say there isnt a particular root cause but if i had to speculate i would personally say that some causes could be:
>popular music replacing the place of poetry in our daily lives as artistic reminds of what is happening around us (you can take that as "People dont read as much" or "music is much more accessible and prevalent esp with technology")
>Post-modernism wearing everyone out with its convoluted style and saturated writing style
>Pessimistic influences from modernism dealing with the whole "doomer" mentality which is more focused on exposing the reality of inevitable destruction rather than our abstract destruction (ie: vices, morals, etc)
>stylistic progression from Beat poets/Black Mountain poets/confessional poetry/etc
>lack of belief in greater powers/ spirituality outside of defining identity politics (ie: "This is my perspective as a Muslim person" not "This is a Muslim perspective")
>publishing industry choices/whats marketable

>But ultimately, in my personal opinion, I think that fully immersed societies and globalism and technology has taken away our ability to imagine and be thoughtful. Between identity politics, increased awareness of individual plights, global crises, etc I think that it is becoming less and less possible to take such a distant stance on "intrinsic human values and emotions" like Keats' Endymion, rather were leaning more towards Shelley's political poems. People are more concerned with a specific person's attitude and story (which also has broad appeal, thus Rupi Kaur). I could say a lot about this and honestly there could be a whole non-fiction psychology book written about this but its not worth exploring that deeply imo. Science takes away our curiosity and superficial appreciation for nature (I was an entomology/bio major in college), the news scares and divides us, were manipulated by companies and governments, we are too aware of every problem, and while theres more communication between people, were more isolated than ever. Poetry now, it seems to me, serves to relate personal stories/specific ideas to each other like sending a letter in a bottle on the ocean. Which isnt to say that it hasnt always done that, but in the current climate of things it feels more pronounced.

Long story short, I don't really know but I think we're just no fun anymore because we're over-saturated with information. Hopefully, new sincerity will really spread its wings and we'll work our way back to a more thoughtful, humanist perspective.

Is this art?

I personally love metered poetry. I think there is a place for it in contemporary styles, however it is difficult to reconcile the idea of "restriction of language" on poems of a more confessional/opinionated attitude (see my post ). While metered poetry is still kind of out of date in many people's opinions, fixed form stuff is doing pretty well (especially in the UK rn, so Im told). Ive seen lots of ghazals, sestinas, vilanelles, and plays on sonnets in recent magazines.
I think that metered poetry will have a hard time coming back because pop music has made its form somewhat irrelevant (meter and prosody was useful in helping memorize lyrics unaccompanied by music). Many of the poets I talk to seem fairly apathetic about using meter themselves, but seem to appreciate it when used well. Tbh it can be kind of corny (see many of the critique threads here). I use it a lot in my writing, but not as consistently as someone like Housman (which if you havent read, you certainly should!) or Blake. Usually, Ill incorporate bits in sections of a poem I want to really stick with my audience. And I've seen it used sparingly in a few other's pieces.

I hope it makes it a comeback, but it would definitely take some time, probably riding on the coattails of a spike in fixed form poems.

Cool. You mind if I get a critique? I have been writing for a few months and want to get better.

Snow

Just past the fire's reflection in the pane
Are flurries floating down on tepid breeze.
The scene is struck from yellow street light beams;
The road is coated in the blizzard's mane.

This evening I abandon blanket's guard
To march on February's stoic beast.
Cold breath and crunching snow beneath my feet
Announce my call; Silence is the Winter's howl.

i mean go ahead and read it. i've read it. i didn't like it much but at least i now have more than just a couple of her shittier poems as examples to back up my opinion.

Sure thing. Ill give you what suggestions pop into head; feel free to disregard them if you disagree.
I like what you have going right now, the metaphor for the winter as a lion is interesting and you do a good job of keeping it tight (which is to say consistent), although you could introduce it a bit earlier. I love the phrase "blizzard's mane." You have strong use of imagery which is good but I feel like you could refine a lot of the images. For instance, if the winter is this lion-esque, stoic, prowling beast, then the floating flurries are a little underwhelming leading into that bold metaphor. Maybe something to the extent of "are gleaming flakes like prowling eyes ahead/ of...."?
Because you end the poem on the subject of sound, it may be useful to introduce that concept a bit earlier too.
As for the "you" narrator part, I think you consider what it means to be involved with the beast of snow. Right now, youre just kind of there and you could definitely have a more intricate role.
As far as scansion goes, everything fits iambic pentameter although some parts are a bit looser than others.

I guess my take aways are, Good: strength and tightness of metaphor, good meter and form, strong finish. Weak: could be bolder given the metaphor, reconsider narrator's role, maybe add in more sound elements

Anyway, good shit dude. Keep practicing and good luck!

What William Blake book should I get for his poetry?

His Songs of Innocence and Experienceis probably his most well known work but i would reccomend getting any collected works that included that, marriage of heaven and hell, America, and some of his mythology (like Tyriel)

is the $50 complete E. E. Cummings actually worth it?

Is it worth it to get ones with his illustrations?

definitely

Ashbery?

I am looking for some online, but I can't tell which are illustrated

Lots of good suggestions ITT. Adding Neruda to the list

can someone answer this question or am I just going to have to drop $50 to find out?

A shit ton of his poems were illustrated by himself and his wife. The Sick Rose has a really nice illustration.

I have it and it is really great. Not sure if the price would be worth it to everyone but I enjoy it.

Attached: Slosh by Rupi.png (800x600, 18K)

Yes but be advised the illustrated ones are very short books because each short poem is a plate (singlular page).
My marriage of heaven and hell is 25 plates, about 60 pages total (explanations, etc). America/Europe Prophecy is 40 plates/pages. Ill post pics

Heaven and hell

Attached: 0420192228.jpg (4160x2340, 1.97M)

Oops. First was america/europe prophecy, this one is Marriage of Heaven Hell

Attached: 0420192228a.jpg (4160x2340, 2.21M)

The plates are very hard to read alone so maybe wait until you know which of his stuff you like first, then get the picture ones (unless you know there is accompanying text)

Thanks for the advice. Your bed sheets look comfy as fuck

okay, I'll consider it

The lack of dignified responses to this tells fucking stories about this chink-tier cardboard-manufactory training site

>it deserves a dignified response
really tells stories about how retarded you are

>LITERALLY A PAGE IN AND IM DRENCHED IN FOETAL FLUID
God abortions are awful

the poem deserves a serious response, user

>*DING!*
>what is cum?

Prešeren and Goethe

who /carson/ here?

Attached: vVkoPPU.gif (250x250, 992K)