Gene Wolfe Book of New Sun Book Club

In honor of Gene Wolfe's recent passing, I wanted to start a book club to read one of the best Sci-Fi series ever: The Book of New Sun.
>discord.gg/q7Fte4
Everyone is welcome that wants to participate in a fun experience with other anons. Whether you're a veteran of Gene Wolfe's works of only just heard about him, feel free to join in on the fun as we go through all four books.
>But I don't have the book!
Here is a link to a PDF of the first book
bookfortoday.com/all/gene-wolfe-the-shadow-of-the-torturer/

Attached: B-O-N-S.png (557x605, 96K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/Px7sRC
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

When are you planning on starting?

The plan is to get everybody settled and brought in today and tomorrow, and we discuss on Sundays. I wanted to see when other anons would be on though so I have not set an exact time yet.

Sounds good to me. I've been looking for a reason to pick it up.

Only read it once, been looking forward to reread.

I’m in, time permitting

Semester ends in a month... ugh

sounds gay, I'm in

back to /sffg/

Sounds good, just make sure to post actual threads on here instead of keeping everything on discord.

Op here, sounds good user

Fuck discord.

>discord
yikes! I'll pass

We'll still put threads here for discussion, I just suggested it after the miscarriage that was the Pale King group read- might help to have something more private and more persistent.

I am considering doing this also as a Yea Forums thread because that seems to keep being a reaction
>t. OP

>discord
>PDF

McFucking kill yourself.

Attached: 1555412568910.jpg (661x763, 215K)

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Been dreading this day

Guess we'll never get a good ending to Soldier of Sidon et. al.

I felt like the first two Latro books were a complete story and Sidon was just an epilogue. Pindaros's poem at the end felt like it wrapped things up well.

Yup, I'm in. I've read and reread BotNS at least 9 times throughout the years and I'm willing to do it again and discuss about it. Nobody in my vicinity seems to even know about Gene Wolfe here, he's not very popular in my country

I'll give it a shot. How much reading do you expect between discussions? Chapters? Sections? The whole book? I see a lot of varying reading speeds so I honestly don't know what to expect to have read before then.

>discord
on dear

So when are we starting ladies?

>read shadow and claw
>can't find volume 2 in any used book stores
just

Attached: 1540634057182.jpg (500x533, 42K)

>Everyone is welcome that wants to participate in a fun experience with other anons
And who doesn't care about their freedom. Discord is for dumbdumbs.

checked

Mistah Wolfe - he dead.

Attached: IMG_4176.jpg (2592x1936, 2.07M)

Have you tried looking for 3 and 4 separately instead of 3+4?

OK. How are we handling timezones?

Attached: IMG_1179.jpg (665x598, 141K)

OP here, just to update anyone else who is considering being a part of this here is all the info.
Based on the clear dislike of the discord method, we will be doing this book club as a weekly thread on Yea Forums. The discord will still be used for any discussion that does not take place during the set time or when the thread gets archived. People who really want to participate should all be online from 7-9pm EST. The first session will start on Sunday 4/21 and this weeks assigned reading will be book one chapters 1-5.

Attached: 19050119-B737-482A-866E-ED601EE5D91A.jpg (4032x3024, 2.51M)

>none of the anti-discord fags can substantiate their claims
Like clockwork.

Why do we need to "substantiate" not wanting something? If OP's purpose is to connect with the people on this board interested in this topic he would be best served by hosting it in a manner that most of the target demographic want to participate in. Discord supporters should be "substantiating" why discord is better than a thread. We're all already here usi g this forum why change what we already agree on for no SUBSTANTIATED reason.

>data-mining client
>userbase full of crazies
It's a necessary evil at best.

Because it's the anti-discord crowd that's making the claim that it's bad. They're making the claim. I agree we should keep it on Yea Forums but unless we keep the thread up all week or keep making new ones its easy for it to 404 and fail to attract attention or have anons not remember shit.
I'll agree with the data mining aspect but the userbase is only as bad as the people you choose to associate with. I've used it primarily because my entire friend group decided it's the only platform they'll now use and haven't had any issues with furries or trannies because I don't go to those servers. Do you?

Sounds great to me. Glad that we you've decided to go with a mostly Yea Forums method of discussion - much better for meaningful and substantial discussion. Hopefully people will post regularly.

Attached: begone.webm (480x480, 1.6M)

I just got to chapter Jonas in CotC, is he a Korean.?

keep reading

Attached: BOTNS.png (557x605, 100K)

If you can't see the problem you are the problem

>discord
That is going to be a big YIKES from me Dawg

Attached: HBR7.jpg (1377x2714, 1016K)

Question: In BotNS whats up with the chapter about the robots who plot revenge on their emotionless masters. I genuinely dont get what he meant by this.

How many pages is in those 5 chapters?

>Invite Invalid
I have been trolled and exposed.

Can somebody give me the QRD on this book? I see it mentioned/discussed here regularly, but still do not really have an idea of exactly what the plot is/the major themes are?

Christ figure goes on fun adventure in a dying Earth setting

Attached: 1518538024197.jpg (1500x588, 154K)

Do girls read Gene Wolfe?

>Christ figure
pleb
He is an Apollo figure
Wolfe has specifically discounted the Christ comparison

>Do girls read [NON YA BOOK]?
no

Yes they do you twat.

Yes and then they call him sexist while ignoring the fact that almost all of his male characters are pricks.

You mean like this?

Attached: Gene.jpg (700x533, 169K)

I thought Terminus Est being a phallic symbol was stupid at first, but it fits for the fight with Baldanders.

Here is another link to the Discord.
discord.gg/Px7sRC
Keep in mind, the discussion will take place here on lit 4/21 7-9pm EST, the discord is just for anyone who's wants to discuss with people who are more into the book and during the time not set.

Attached: 9aa68895f6d4062bc66acb52016e340867465c99517288c1def4b005ad33faa9.jpg (900x900, 140K)

>tomorrow
Oh shit. I haven't started yet. How long are the first 5 chapters?

~30 pages

That's not bad. I'm gonna try to burn through the book im reading now so I'll be ready for tomorrow.

I make girls read Gene Wolfe and like it. Who am I?

Severian the torturer, master of apprentices

You can get 3 and 4 together for 11$ on Amazon. That’s 5.50 for each book, I doubt you’d find them for cheaper than that used