What am I in for?

what am I in for?

Attached: Waves.jpg (342x500, 33K)

Being overwhelmed and then resorting to repeating "women can't write good"

I'm not sexist and I really liked the first five pages before I bought it, though

easily one of the best books I've ever read. Woolf sets the bar for god-tier prose at a dizzying height with the first chapter
then does pull-ups on it for 300 pages, its genuinely ridiculous how she kept that strong pace for so long.
It's also very strange that this book is never never mentioned in existentialism discussions being as that's almost all it brings to the table

Being overwhelmed and really liking it.

I'm back. I read the first chapter, this reply () is accurate. I hope this user's evaluation () is accurate going forward

An absolutely beautiful book that will likely make you cry if you've ever lost somebody you were close to. It's in contention with To The Lighthouse for Woolf's masterpiece

>Woolf sets the bar for god-tier prose
lol

Okay, which prose do you like, user?

James, Mencken, Lincoln, Macaulay

>female author
Afraid that's gotta be a YIKES on my front

ill have to revisit this one some day. it was my first woolf when i read it and i thought it was unbearable. i skimmed the latter half of the book and hated it.

i read mrs. dalloway and then to the lighthouse years later and both were fucking excellent and totally my kind of thing. not sure in retrospect if i just wasn't ready for the waves but i think really the gimmick just didn't work for me and even going back to it might not change that

A brilliant fucking novel. I think it clicked for me a little bit before page 50 then the rest of the way it was beautiful and touching. Once you remember who all the characters are and start to figure out who they really are and what they're like it starts to take shape, which happens as they age throughout the novel and become adults.

Some fantastic prose.

Woolf is better than Joyce tbqh.

I agree with this user. The prose is beautiful, sure, but I was lost at first, couldn't really make sense of what was going on, but after a few pages (around 30 for me) you start to flesh out the characters and what's going on, and then you enjoy it so much more.

>It's also very strange that this book is never never mentioned in existentialism discussions
Ridiculous. Woolf has no poetic, no psychological depth whatsoever. Une fine dentelle.

>Woolf is better than Joyce tbqh
Ulysses is the greatest work of art between the two. The rest doesn’t matter.

Good to know I was helpful

You've clearly never even read anything by Woolf, seeing as how it's the exact opposite of what you claim. I miss the Yea Forums that actually loved Woolf, rather than this new board filled with edgy contrarians who don't even read the books they give opinions on

god i miss it so much.
funny to think even back then we thought Yea Forums was just a "board filled with edgy contrarians who don't even read the books they give opinions on".
at least it wasn't this nauseatingly ideological, pseudopolitical shithole. at the very least, the average Yea Forumserati actually read books.
i even miss those stupid john green threads

Yeah, there have always been a lot of annoying people on the board, but it just seems to further gravitate away from actual literature discussions. It's a little sad seeing interesting, on-topic threads die with few posts, while obvious political or incel bait threads get 100s of replies in a short timespan.

At least John Green threads had excerpts posted in them to discuss, and were actually about books, even though they were generally always the same thing and got a little old after a while

remember all the pynchon threads, and the time we thought pynch was talking to us, or someone that knew him. i think it was bill murray poster.

>Woolf is better than Joyce

You have no idea how much, how ardently I agree with you.

I tried to read To the Lighthouse but I think I am too much of a brainlet to not get hopelessly lost in the prose.

Or too ADHD.

To the Lighthouse is god tier
This is pretty dam good tbqh

Cope, you fucking child. Go read some Proust Musil Witkiewicz Bousquet etc, if you want some actual modernist "depth". Woolf is a wallpaper. An artistocratic wallpaper.

ps : contrairement à toi, i actually read all her work bb. Major waste of time, needless to say. Childhood was a long time ago.

if Ulysses weren't such an achievement I might agree. Mrs. Dalloway, To The Lighthouse, and The Waves are all perfect novels. Dubliners and Portrait are weak by comparison. But Ulysses is, well it's Ulysses. It's probably the greatest novel ever written.

Seething anglo detected. Even your precious little Woolf isn’t perfect my dear. And I personally wish this fucking board could talk about anybody BUT woolf for a day. Imagine this board actually reading Djebar and Jelinek and Meireles and Kirsch... and we get baby like you crying over Woolf ? Who seriously thinks she’s somehow superior ? Get out of here, man. Woolf literally had no poetic sensibility. Cope.

>Mrs. Dalloway, To The Lighthouse, and The Waves are all perfect novels.
Jfc...