Diogenes

Leave Plato to me....

Attached: diogenes.jpg (1440x1249, 229K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/zp2ppnxjwj28c//Cynicism
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Am brainlet and don’t get the reference but I like where this is going

Attached: 74CF6A32-B18C-4BA1-8D39-E9CBE36044DE.jpg (911x1024, 80K)

Diogenes was basically an ancient homeless man who liked fucking with philosophers. He also once told Alexander the Great to step out of his fucking sunlight.

Behold!

Attached: diogenes3.png (640x360, 321K)

the story is way more based than that
>Thereupon many statesmen and philosophers came to Alexander with their congratulations, and he expected that Diogenes of Sinope also, who was tarrying in Corinth, would do likewise. But since that philosopher took not the slightest notice of Alexander, and continued to enjoy his leisure in the suburb Craneion, Alexander went in person to see him; and he found him lying in the sun. Diogenes raised himself up a little when he saw so many people coming towards him, and fixed his eyes upon Alexander. And when that monarch addressed him with greetings, and asked if he wanted anything, "Yes," said Diogenes, "stand a little out of my sun."[7] It is said that Alexander was so struck by this, and admired so much the haughtiness and grandeur of the man who had nothing but scorn for him, that he said to his followers, who were laughing and jesting about the philosopher as they went away, "But truly, if I were not Alexander, I wish I were Diogenes." and Diogenes replied "If I wasn't Diogenes, I would be wishing to be Diogenes too."

I mean, he wasn't just fucking with them. He claimed the be the legitimate heir to socratic philosophy. His antics were philosophical.

What the fuck was his problem?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-04-18-18-02-31.png (1920x1080, 195K)

not a real person

OHNONONONO

Attached: Screenshot_2019-04-18-18-04-53.png (1920x1080, 98K)

Diogenes was epic. Telling Alexander to stand out of the sun, Alexander laughs, says he would be Diogenes if he was not Alexander. There is much in this - think!

Diogenes the dog.
The legend says when Plato was asked what a human was he answered:
>A man is a featherless biped.
Everyone around clapped.
Everyone but Diogenes, who killed and plucked a chicken and threw it to Plato saying.
>Here it is. Here is the Plato's human.

sorry for bad eng

As oft repeated as this story is I never get tired of it.

Fucking based. Does he have any works?

no, 0 writtings

no, because he wasn't a real person.

>hah, I watched a funny internet video about this epic and edgy philosopher
please stop. we've all seen the video. you're no better than those so claimed "nihilists" who've read a tumblr post about nietzsche

Attached: shutthefuckup.jpg (224x225, 6K)

All lost, there are stories about him in other primary sources
Some Greek trend chasers appropriated his philosophy but refused to give up bathing and thus founded stoicism

he strikes me as more Epicurean

>Small brained platonist spotted

Both cynicism and epicureanism were in ways challenging the Platonist system of philosophy. Stoicism arose from cynicism and was also in opposition to epicureanism, epicureanism was based on primarily Democritus' atomism

>Diogenes was epic.
He was the first furfag in recorded history and sold himself into slavery in order to virtue signal.

unironically based

Whats it like to have your unification theory BTFOd by a mostly apocryphal fucking hobo you brainlet

Fuck off (((shill))).

The most reddit philosopher to exist.

>the video
What the fuck is this about?

As small as he was dim.

The most Yea Forums philosopher to exist

None survived, but there is some good secondary lit on the Cynics:

mediafire.com/folder/zp2ppnxjwj28c//Cynicism

> think!
Imma bard now

>mediafire.com/folder/zp2ppnxjwj28c//Cynicism
can you zip it up so that we can down easily?

Whats the spongebob font called

The most youtube philosopher to ever exist

No one ever mentions how when Plato saw Diogenes standing arms spread in the rain, he encouraged onlookers who had ran to see cover to look away and not give him any attention because that's just what he wants.

Whenever someone brings up Diogenes, they implicitly make Plato look like some prudish old fart who couldn't make sense of this BASED!! public exhibitionist who's sole claim to the philosophic tradition is some vaguely clever jabs at Plato's semantic error about defining a chicken. That his entire existence may be apocryphal only proves that the idea of a man like Diogenes MUST be invented if only to refute the idea of a Plato and the intellectual tradition he essentially birthed.

And when he is praised, I like to think these people are not the same lamenting Western civilization's decline - because, I mean, if they WERE it would be hypocrisy to the utmost degree, only justified in their reasoning on the basis that no one was fallible in Ancient Greek times; the reactionary personality finding any excuse to retain his mediocrity as a human being that does not challenge his simple, absolutist politics.

Because, yeah, no one could possibly exist like that... right?

tldr, Diogenes was the Last Man before Nietzsche even Christened the term, and he was a slightly interesting but ultimately superficial thinker whose philosophy was arrived at by the absence of contemplation and not its having stoked it.

Attached: 1523830787598.jpg (248x203, 8K)

There's a download folder button m8

>man is a featherless biped
Where the fuck was Diogenes when Aristophanes claimed that man actually is a spherical creature with two faces, four legs, four arms and that we should move around at high speed by cartwheeling?

It's too bad that he did not have any Plato to write his exact philosophy down, instead of recording it in memes. He honestly seem to be the one who followed Socrates teachings, as show in Plato's early dialogues, the best. His search for a honest man mirror Socrates' search for a wise man, for example.

>we've all seen the video
Speak for yourself. I don't watch videos -- I read.

Life is a lot like being blindfolded and given a 6” sword while having a crowd form around you, each person shouting his own opinion, dozens, hundreds of them contradicting each other, none of them telling you how to escape, several of them making you know for sure that if you slap or stap someone, you’ll only dig yourself into another level of hell. So you stumble around and get pushed by the crowd, and get slapped, and your teeth knocked out, and punched in the stomach, and kicked in the balls while the crowd cheers on, and you hear them exchanging money, and this is your life, this is what you have to look forward to until you find a creative way to kill yourself.

Interesting point

Diogenes is both a meme (none of the shit happened) and just a sophist.

Spicy and also objectively wrong.

Pseud

Diogenes is reddit circlejerk, just like /his/

>cope

>sophist
So was Socrates desu

Plato was discoursing on his theory of ideas and, pointing to the cups on the table before him, said while there are many cups in the world, there is only one ‘idea’ of a cup, and this ‘cupness’ precedes the existence of all particular cups.
“I can see the cup on the table,” interrupted Diogenes, “but I can’t see the ‘cupness’.'”
“That’s because you have the eyes to see the cup,” said Plato, “but,” tapping his head with his forefinger, “you don’t have the intellect with which to comprehend ‘cupness’.'”
Diogenes walked up to the table, examined a cup and, looking inside, asked, “Is it empty?”
Plato nodded.
“Where is the ‘emptiness’ which proceeds this empty cup?” asked Diogenes.
Plato allowed himself a few moments to collect his thoughts, but Diogenes reached over and, tapping Plato’s head with his finger, said “I think you will find here is the ‘emptiness’.

I'm too much of a brainlet to get this. What did diogenes mean by this?

>calls Plato a brainlet.
was there anyone who resembled Yea Forums more than Diogenes?

All philosophers engaged in sophistry, not all of them were sophists acting in bad faith.

Good luck I was born with a 7 inch sword

Diogenes might be impressive if the Greeks weren't lolcows. Low hanging fruit desu

Attached: greek intellectuals.png (603x273, 58K)

>Yes, I myself saw him mounting the bitch
--Plato

>he thinks that everyone has seen the same reddit shit that he has

>spend your entire life dedicated to the quest for knowledge
>get BTFO by some smelly asshole living in a bathtub

Get off the internet, grampa

I would also like to know

Ariel

>--
Nibba...

>lolcows

Wait, has /r/drama actually seeped into Yea Forums, as I jokingly suggested a few days ago?

Go back. No 4channeller knows what r/drama is. The only reddit pages you should know about are r/thedonald, r/Yea Forums, r/cuckoldcommnity and r/asianmasculinity

"lolcow" is not a reddit original

>lolcow
It's a really old internet term user

Based

The Madman

>"Be careful you may hit your father"

>Diogenes to kid of a prostitute throwing rocks at the crowd.

what form of newfaggotry is this?

flawless logic

where the fuck was Diogenes when men cut off their dick grew breasts and were women

“Seeing some women hanged from an
olive‐tree, he said, “Would that every tree bore similar fruit.”"
-diogenes

Is Diogenes the Chuck Norris of antique? Also, this thread is fucking awful and you should all feel bad.

I think he means that all the ideas he has are just thought and have no real basis in reality so the idea of ‘cupness’ is nothing but an idea as well as the idea of “emptiness” is just an idea that comes from the mind

Euthydemus is very entertaining