BIG eReaders

I'm apparently late to getting into the idea of having an e-ink reader, because even living in the USA--home of everything BEST AND BIG--there are basically no ereaders that are even distributed here anymore with greater than a 6" screen. Amazon, for instance, apparently stopped selling big Kindles years ago. Getting anything big now involves an international order and import. Consequently, I've never even had the opportunity to even SEE a big e-ink screen; only the dinky Amazon 6-inchers at Best Buy.

So if I want a good e-ink reading experience, how much would I be missing out by not buying one of the $500 Chinese superiorly-large devices (basically the cheapest it gets for a 10"+ screen) vs. a $100 domestic compact?

Do you use a 6"? Do you wish you had bigger? $500 is a lot for me to spend on something like this, but if it's really that much better then I may be able to make it work. Help me, Yea Forums.

Attached: zz.jpg (560x399, 38K)

I just use my phone

interested also

Same here, but frankly I was convinced by e-ink's superiority once I actually saw it in person (though, as I noted, on the phone-sized 6" screen of the Kindle/Nook). It honestly seems pretty fantastic and it got me excited at the possiblity of being able to regularly read on one of these things. Even if I can't get any positive feedback on the big screens, I'm going to end up getting at least a 6 incher.

size doesn't actually matter, even on the little amazon screens the problem of small screens arent an issue with e ink like they are on a phone.

I think it should tell you something that the demand for larger ereaders isn't there. There's little point in a larger screen except for rich text (e.g. textbooks, papers with figures) where they are typically not needed or more cumbersome than just using a typical computer anyway. Portability is more marketable, but for good reason.

That's encouraging to hear--so I probably wouldn't be missing a better reading experience if I get a 6" reader instead of a 10.3". What about Android readers vs. Kindle/Kobo? I'm leaning toward Kobo Clara HD.

I'm no expert, but aren't android 'readers' just tablets? Wouldn't bother with those.

I can't think of any reason to get a bigger kindle. At best you'll just be pressing the screen a bit less often. The standard sized readers already display about a page's worth of text.

God knows why you'd want to spend five times as much on such an experience.
e-ink is so much better than phones

I've had a 6" Paperwhite since 2015 and it hasn't been an issue at all. Text size is customizable anyways so you can make a page look bigger or smaller by just pinching the screen. I've never had an issue with the size and probably even feel that bigger would be too heavy. I have a leather cover that acts as a stand as well which I consider vital for kindle peeps.

What Is this reddit consumerism?

Sony Digital Paper or the larger Onxy device.

What is this absolute retardation?

Talking about e-readers, the greatest reason I love mine is the ability to pirate fucking everything. So, what do you fags think of never paying for a book ever again?

There are multiple Chinese outfits that sell lines of Android-based e-ink devices (Onyx and Boyue, to name the two most reputable).

Thanks for the feedback. I guess part of my concern was not just legibility of text, but also comfort of holding. I guess an argument could be made either way as to which would be more comfortable: the smaller form-factor, or the larger, more, book-like one.

As the only voice in favor of the larger screens, any elaboration on why the one of the big Onyx options would be superior? If it's as simple as Bigger Is Better, then I can certainly understand.

As an aside, Sony's offerings by my understanding are both way too expensive and hilariously outdated--as laughable as it is, Sony's $1000+ DPT series ONLY opens PDF files, has piss-poor interfacing with PCs (no accessible, mountable storag), no frontlight, and can only be potentially modded to run Android with difficulty and expense. On the other hand, Onyx has a number of very attractive products (and Boyue Likebook, too, with the new Mimas)--but of course, they're still extremely expensive even if not quite as boggling-so as Sony's.

Can you still pirate on Kindles? Or did Amazon install measures?

This question gets asked almost every e-reader thread.

Well answer it.

No, if you sideload pirated books onto your kindle big flashing alarms go off at Amazon HQ and a big swarm of dildo-drones are released to hunt you down and resize your shitter.

get ipad pro 12.9 2017 instead

Just use calibre, Jamal.

I've my Kindle paperwhite for books but I prefer an old cheap Lenovo tablet for magazines which has much larger dimensions