Is it even possible to be a great writer if you've never been to war...

Is it even possible to be a great writer if you've never been to war? It seems like the 20th century canon is filled with veterans who saw action in either WWI, The Spanish Civil War, WWII, or Vietnam. Unless you have experienced the highs and lows of active service, you don't have a sufficient grip on life's truest meanings to write anything with any worth or message. It seems to me, unless you've fought in a significant conflict, you should give up now.

Attached: 7b0.jpg (746x982, 157K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gulf_War_Did_Not_Take_Place
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

war is hell. why do you want to write about hell OP.

You have witnessed the meme war.

Served in 2008 - 2012 as an artillery captain in Afghanistan and Iraq. There is no true meaning in war. The war on terror was a meaningless and boring clusterfuck. To be honest I think those wars define our generation pretty well.

You can always enlist if you want but don't expect to be enlightened. The military today is a shitshow and it will leave you even more jaded and cynical than you were before. Trust me I had those delusions of grandeur too before I went to the academy and realized how much of a meme the army is.

>The war on terror was a meaningless and boring clusterfuck
>The military today is a shitshow
Well yeah, there's a reason why I ended my list at Vietnam. There's nothing literary about pushing a button and flattening a neighborhood full of illiterate peasants, no meaning in carrying out violence just because the President told you to. Anything after the Tet Offensive doesn't count. Which is why there hasn't been a good book produced in the West since that time.

The navy is the redpill

i don't know about that OP, the greatest writer we ever saw was never a soldier

Attached: 215023_v9_ba.jpg (1080x1440, 766K)

we're living in 4d war

Attached: shkreli.jpg (250x408, 23K)

>DUDE UNLESS YOU SHOT BULLETS AT OTHER HUMAN BEINGS IN SOME RETARDED CONFLICT FOR OIL OR LAND YOU DONT KNOW LIFE
Fuck off. Only absolute retards and good goyim get roped into risking their lives for stupid garbage.

>vanishes underwater when it begins to be interesting

war, war never changes

find some other disciplined and interesting environment. military is just a shortcut

You can join NGOs that provide warsite relief. Or be a war time reporter. I don't think you need to be holding a gun to experience war, and you certainly don't have to stoke it's fires. You can struggle for life and for truth.

That was a single war of a particular type. The other side no doubt experienced it in a very different way, as do the proxies in Syria, the native people, and both sides of foreign spec ops.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gulf_War_Did_Not_Take_Place
There is a deep meaning to the war on terror, just very few realise it, or could articulate it.

it's not even really a war, just policing
no disrespect, my dad was there

>I have wreslted with death. One cannot imagine anything more tedious

War is 90% boredom and uselessness, 5% confusion et 5% terror.

no

You write like a person without substance. War might help you learn to be a man, and discover if you have something important to say.

Yes, putting my life on the line for Israel seems like an enlightening thing to do lmao

If you work with professional outreach efforts in areas of serious poverty/gang violence/mental illness/etc. you can functionally find war in your own backyard, minus the murdering aspect.

The war of the mind is the greatest war of all desu

jesus christ did it

>20th century canon
>great writers
Pick one. Also, if you think your pathetic experiences or your identity have anything to do with writing, you're wrong.

what? course it does

Is there more "wisdom" to be extracted from war apart from these ingenious insights:
>War is bad!
>Killing is bad!
>People do hurtful things!
>People die when they are killed!
>Oh the humanity!
>Families torn apart, so sad!
>Violence is absurd!
>Brothers in arms! (no homo)

and you'd compare yourself to our lord and savior?

Attached: mm.png (354x36, 10K)

he's a good role model

Cringe. Pure statist propaganda.

you can expose yourself to nature,feel the pitiless sun blister you and the mosquitoes eating you alive,you can battle the elements and outwit the wildlife.

odysseus fought for his life in the sea and was reduced to being naked sleeping in a pile of leaves like an animal.

Attached: Elk-fighting-in-snow.jpg (840x440, 64K)

The key to great writing is unique insights presented in a way that is interesting and accessible.

War is an easy place to get unique insights because most people don't go to war, but it's not the only place.

christ put his life on the line for all of humanity. israel is just the people that killed him.

The new war is memetic. All citizenry are fighting it. We are and have been at war. This is the battleground the great artists of the age are in.