QTDDTOT

Questions that dont deserve their own thread:

My question: what is the order for reading nietzsche? i went in raw with zarathustra , but thats just made me want to read nicomachean ethics. i read the apology instead of it and now im fascinated with the greeks. i just want to appreciate some noice ideas , why do i gotta read so much PepeHands

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (395x600, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bIekJ1ImMYI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Prime
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I went in with Kaufmann's portable, which included most of it. I'll circle back for the rest some decade or so later. So much backlog.

Attached: The Portable Nietzsche - Kaufmann.jpg (311x475, 37K)

did kauffman compile it in a way to 'ease in' the inexperienced reader?

I believe it's mostly chronological, with sparse notes and explanations for what's omitted. It made sense to me. And I can see why starting with Zarathustra would be confusing. it's a thick piece full of metaphors. The rest is straightforward enough

>butterfly
>reading kaufmann
yea checks out, faggot

Did you have a question, Unter?

Attached: De Enige en Zijn Eigendom.jpg (500x775, 130K)

Twilight of the idols
(Birth of tragedy if you're interested)
Beyond good and evil
(Genealogy of morality if interested)
(second Untimely meditation if interested)
other work
Zarathustra

Where do I go after Plato's republic? Also why the fuck does Plato treat the reader as if he is a child and labours the point so much so that you can feel it bludgeoning your head at times.

Wouldn't Birth of Tragedy be the ideal start to Nietzsche?

There is only one way to read Nietzsche and it is how he wanted us to read him.
Start with thus spoke Zarathustra in the morning. Read it in your room, with some cup of tea, but only in the morning and only in your cave. After you've finished it - congratulations, now the fun begins. As the book is one of the more complicated ones you should read it again, but this time exclusively midday. Now that you've read it once, you should be able to read it out loud fluently so go out into the world, with your pet snake and pet eagle and your pet corpse by your side and read it out loud at the town square. People will gather, send them away - you want to read Nietzsche and not carter to some Gesindel. After all, reading it out loud is the only way to really understand Nietzsche. Now that you've finished it for the second time, rest for a few years.

I'm looking for highly structuralized novels.
You know, the kind where chapters have specific numerological meanings, where separation of parts represents the change in seasons, or a span of human life, where paragraphs are of very delicate, deliberate length etc. I guess you could call them metric novels.

where do i get the corpse

I hear cemeteries are full of them.

is 0.999 = 0?

I want a novel that has nothing to do with humans or humanized animals or things, is there one out there?

Ulysses, pic related

Attached: U_Schedule.jpg (1842x916, 502K)

Any lesser known countries that have a rich literary tradition? I'm already decently familiar with Italian, Angloshit, Russian, and Japanese.
Anything relatively modern and interesting come out of India or Africa or smaller euronation?

I once dreamt of writing a novel with light as ots obmy character, then I realized I would need to be Flaubert to pull it off and gave up.

Doesn't fiol all your requirements but Francis Ponge is known to write about things rather than peoplenor feelings.

Hungary

what books/authors do you rec? Got a chart?

i read "the shiva trilogy" by amish tripathi back in high school . pop fiction + mythology. i found it pretty interesting

I guess so, for someone who wants to read everything and understand how Nietzsche's thought evolved. But I find it too tedious as a starter, whereas Twilight is short, straight-forward and gives a decent general view.

0.999-0.999=0
No.
q.e.d.

Kaufmann is the best way to read Nietzsche for English readers. He may have a slightly pozzed angle on a few passages, but overall he approaches Nietzsche the author very carefully and does his work justice.

The secret Life of trees, maybe I haven't read it but it's about trees.

Laszlo Krasznahorkai
Dezso Kosztolanyi
Imre Kertesz (won the Nobel prize in literature)
Antal Szerb
Peter Esterhazy
Magda Szabo

Are you my father?

Anyone else filtered the butterfly tripfaggot?
Feels good, but I'd like to hear your opinions.

wait you've only read kaufmann's portable neitzsche? why the fuck do you go around like you're an authority on this shit? You know nothing.

I know that tranny's tripcode and sometimes I will put it on and pretend to be him and say the dumbest shit I can think of in a thread and sit back and watch the (You)s pile up. I hope I can teach the newfags to hate him as much as he deserves

For the 13 years I've browsed this site, I've never once filtered a tripcode. Get a thicker skin.

You project. All I do is try to share what I know.

>Laszlo Krasznahorkai
I’ve seen this guy posted before. Will check the rest. Thanks

why are oxford classics editions such shit? The ink is smudgy af

It will come to you.

should i read book of the new sun or gladstone by jenkins

How well read are you butterfly? How many years would you say you've been consciously reading?

Question posted in the other thread:

In the Chronicles of Amber series, is the Merlin cycle really that much worse than the Corwin cycle?

I suppose the idea is the same for most great men's work, to start somewhere not quite at the end but not quite the middle in order to get a grasp of them in all their glory and their general views.

What does "consciously reading" mean? I started on some piddly comic books, moved onto Calvin and Hobbes, jumped right to scifi/fantasy and larger works like Campbell's Hero with a Thousand Faces 'cause of Star Wars. Always loved history, but only since the '08 crash have I been delving into multiple non-fiction types. Yea Forums helped me fall back in love with fiction though. Now I have entirely too much to read and not enough time to read them. –Is it any wonder why I want to end capitalism? I want to retire, work less.
Have read? I wanna say a measly 200+. I blame a poor upbringing and "having to make a living" for holding the number down so low. (also dyslexia and an overactive imagination) But it's not a competition. One reads for pleasure as much as edification

Maybe the sff general would know

youtube.com/watch?v=bIekJ1ImMYI

is my video lit?

I would of thought you had read more Butterfly.

Does anybody have the collage image of the "origins of the heroes journey". I saw it in a thread a long time ago. We were discussing the origins of the heroes journey and someone posted a "rabbits hole" image of a bunch of novels including of what I think were summerean or other ancient culture in origin. Basically he said that reading those books will ruin heroes journey for you because it's all taken from earlier works and stories.

Me too. 200+ isn't bad considering all the interests, distractions and drudgery I've had going on in my life.

In regards to philosopher I know that you'v read a bit of Nietzsche and edgy Stirner, any others?

Epicurus.
I listened to the early episodes of History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps and started to lose interest as the Neoplatonists drifted more and more into Christianity. Most everything else I've picked up from Yea Forums. I can place names and basic ideals to most of the major ones and I don't think I'll care for most. Maybe Hume. I have a book of his, and Plato's Republic, and I've read some Arendt
Oh and some de Beauvoir of course. Most everything else would be more sociopolitical

>Epicurus.
So you live in a commune?

>I listened to the early episodes of History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps and started to lose interest as the Neoplatonists drifted more and more into Christianity.

I do not wish to intrude but why is it you have such a hatred of Christianity?

>Most everything else I've picked up from Yea Forums. I can place names and basic ideals to most of the major ones and I don't think I'll care for most. Maybe Hume. I have a book of his, and Plato's Republic, and I've read some Arendt
Oh and some de Beauvoir of course. Most everything else would be more sociopolitical

I would say most Yea Forums browses would have a basic understanding of most. I enjoyed Plato's republic when I first started to read it in high school but I started to find it quite repetitive and self explanatory once Plato mentioned the tripartite soul for the 58th time. What sort of sociopolititcal?

Attached: Piano lesson - Edmun Leighton.jpg (512x365, 26K)

doing the same, fuck it

you'll regret it user, firstly to get the greatest understanding read Kant and Schopenhauer but this is going by the idea that you have at least read the basics of the Greeks. At any rate read Twilight of the Idols or The Birth of Tragedy first.

>you'll regret it
regret reading a fucking book? how

>Christianity
I was raised Christian and I know how poison it is.
>Hatred
It's out of love that I am antitheist
>Sociopolitical
I've always loved sociology/anthropology along with history, and I had drifted from right to left from my teens till I turned anarchist.

Most recently I found my mind getting curious over the psychological aspect of it all, mass movements, what it would happen to people's minds if they had democracy in the workplace and a non-accumulative currency, etc., and even passing thoughts of wanting to grow my own food. I'm just desperate to *make* something instead of this lousy job.
Oh rambling. Sorry.

If you'r this dumb you should stick to fiction.

>I was raised Christian and I know how poison it is.
As was I and although I have outgrown my younger understanding of it I do not have any particular grudge towards it. Is your disliking to it the same in which Nietzsche had with it?

>It's out of love that I am antitheist
So it's religion in general?

>I've always loved sociology/anthropology along with history, and I had drifted from right to left from my teens till I turned anarchist.

Most recently I found my mind getting curious over the psychological aspect of it all, mass movements, what it would happen to people's minds if they had democracy in the workplace and a non-accumulative currency, etc., and even passing thoughts of wanting to grow my own food. I'm just desperate to *make* something instead of this lousy job.

I understand the feeling I currently grow a few vegies but I don't think I will ever be a "plant" person in the way that I do it for any other reason than natural food. Although an Anarchistic society I believe would be great in many ways primarily because of the eco-Anarchistic aspect in my view but do you think it's sustainable let alone possible?

>Oh rambling. Sorry.
Heh don't worry about it, I have the same problem when I'm talking to my friends.

Just bought a Kindle. Wondering, which version of the bible is the one with all the violence and stuff? The old testament?

Have you seen "The Keepers" on Netflix, if you haven't watch it. Preferable to be in a dark mood.

When ordering a secondhand book you cannot locally find, do you prefer to get whatever is available in good condition for relatively cheap, or do you go all out on a nice copy for clearly too much cost? I have done both but am unsure which I could justify more.

do you mean translation?

Y-yeah, my bad.

is 0.999 = 1?

King James is by far the best in every respect and yes including the violence. However it was the first to change the word "Israelite" to "Jew" but all the other and later English ones do the same anyway so it's still the best.

Stop trying to square the circle and get on with life.

Fuck off yaldabaoth, I WILL wake God

Thank you kindly.

Anyone known of any interesting/weird dischords to join?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Prime

What do you think?

The circle will only ever be squared in the spiritual and symbolic sense, and no just read Hermes.

Welcome m8.

you wrote this user?

1. The Laws
2. He was the first real academic philosopher. Give him a break.

>The Laws
And after that? Pls tell me it won't be like the Republic where you might as well just read half way through until he starts repeating the same points again.

>He was the first real academic philosopher. Give him a break.
Are all his works like the Republic?

>Is your disliking to it the same in which Nietzsche had with it?
I wouldn’t think so. Similar?
>So it's religion in general?
Absolutely
>do you think it's sustainable let alone possible?
Getting there from here is the hard part, but maybe the coming collapse will facilitate it better. It is perfectly sustainable. That’s it’s whole point. (Still sleepy. Can’t think of assuring word atm)

>I wouldn’t think so. Similar?
Well given that Nietzsche disliked religion in the modern age and particularly hated Christianity I would say you are similar to him in that respect although I do not know if your critique is the same as his.

>Absolutely
I gather your view is that religion is an attempt to explain what we cannot and now in the scientific world it is outdated? If so it is different to Nietzsche's critique in the way that primarily it was an attempt to shoulder the existential burden of life and the fact that Christianity was a rejection of the Will to Life by its opposite realm as being better "Heaven" made Nietzsche particularly hate Christianity. He saw that the Earth based Paganism with the common hero Archetype has a better religion. He thought of religion for Untermensch and cowards. To be clear I am not stating that I am for or against Religion but stating Nietzsche's views.

>Getting there from here is the hard part, but maybe the coming collapse will facilitate it better. It is perfectly sustainable. That’s it’s whole point. (Still sleepy. Can’t think of assuring word atm)

I meant sustainable in the way that man will not just form into Marfia's of sort to eventually lead to Feudalism in the way that people work for these "Marfia" type groups for protection.

Also Butterfly I'll probably be gone when you reply next so in that case see you later.

Attached: Off - Edmund Leighton.jpg (664x900, 161K)