What the fuck do I read to get over nihilism and the whole "nothing matters" shtick?

What the fuck do I read to get over nihilism and the whole "nothing matters" shtick?

Attached: imagev1e1d61617c901b2d271a1c258cb69a224-ck258klbl7or82ykhq2_t460.jpg (460x345, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uNvLVEfBjBI
youtube.com/watch?v=8tS4LRDm7Ts
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Charlotte's web

doesn't matter what you read as long as it takes you long enough to finish that you turn 22 before you're done

KEK
so tru

balls

The Bible, unironically.

I'm turning 22 in like 3 months my man. Feels the worst it has even been.

Attached: You have all my faith, your loving father.jpg (400x400, 14K)

Unironically have sex

Been there, done that. What the fuck why is it so hard to get a book recommendation on this board?

Attached: 1554846283371.jpg (550x550, 38K)

fuck it try Savage Detectives.

Why?

because its you and you in twenty years, and you that survived and you that didn't and you that did and maybe changed in a way youre ok with and lived to write about it.

Surprisingly relate extremely to this

Attached: 1068776.jpg (592x740, 47K)

>22 in a month and 2 days

Attached: jp.jpg (1078x1332, 516K)

life ends when you have a kid, it's not a particular age unless your life is shit

Lex, the Poet.
Light and fun but inspiring in its way. Might be hard to find tho.

Existentialism, probably. How do you know nothing matters and what's so bad about that, anyway?

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

>Renault will be a front runner soon enough, no worries Ricardo.
At least the money's good lmao

No one below the age of 24 should be allowed on this board.

Attached: 1554074543630.png (421x462, 254K)

>That pic

Attached: Nevah Evah.jpg (330x319, 48K)

>Leaves Redbull for reliability issues
>Goes to team that makes Redbull engines

Attached: 1555168547252.jpg (900x900, 99K)

There’s a “babby’s first existential crisis” chart passed around on here but I’ve read a few of them and haven’t made any personal progress.

I don’t think a book will help you/me even if you think it will. We gotta do real life stuff

>We gotta do real life stuff
Real life sucks.

you seriously believe that nothing matters?
if i penetrated your asshole with a rusty knife, would that matter?

Wait, I don't get this meme, I turn 22 in may wtf am I fucked or what?

You have no idea what's coming. 23 is where the real ride begins.

What the FUCK are you guys even talking about? Stop being so cryptic. I demand you explain yourself.

He’s not fucking joking either, if you though your nihilist existential terror lack of meaning nightmare of a life is bad now, 23 is when the real fear sets in. Buckle the fuck up.

t. 24 on Saturday

Attached: 0412A094-EB4D-4B8F-83A2-E204626DD000.jpg (381x538, 63K)

if you thought **

I'm almost 30. You are like a little baby. Wait until your parents start aging, your friends drift away, the deaths and babies start coming, and you feel more out of place in the world with each passing day.

Attached: 1546621908713.jpg (480x480, 46K)

lol come on guys
you arent even middle twenties
just because you aren't basquiat doesn't mean you wont be fine

You just begin to not care. It takes a little while to get to that stage but it will come. You start to have enough things going on in your life that it doesn't bother you. It might come back during a particularly depressive period but if you're doing relatively well for yourself trust me when I say it really won't affect you too much. Not to be a boomer but a large part of life is what you make of it.

Wait, if you're able to do it right, shouldn't it be getting better as you get older? Eventually learning how to take things much less seriously? Not all older folk I've met are happier, but many reach a level I don't see in 20s people.

Having much older siblings / family and being very isolated has helped set in elemrns of aging parents, no friends, deaths & births, quite early for me I think.

Theres that too, it does get better. I wouldn't go back to even two years ago if you paid me. You take 90% of things much less seriously, and you know you can handle yourself, but the stuff that actually inspires feels tends to be much more serious than before, it can't be dismissed as easily.

Your a faggot. Fuck you. I hate people like you. I avoid your kind like the plague. Kill yourself sad boy faggot

Example of inspiring feels? I'm 25 actually and I haven't found those yet. I might be doing something wrong.

Something that will delude you.

It is fairly easy to stop being nihilist (which is nothing else than becoming deluded), because human culture and human biology both conspire against the philosophical truth.

Oh this should be good, please tell me more about this "philosophical truth" of nihilism

Keep trying to find it

The Foundation for Exploration

Feeling that nothing matters is an emotional problem, reading and thinking won't help much.

It doesn't matter.

It's not a meme I genuinely turn 22 in may also and I am not satisfied with my current use of life.

U mad bro?

You need to go outside and have sex
Seriously

Not OP but
>43 replies
>29 unique posters
>not a single one of you have posted a serious recommendation
what the fuck is wrong with you faggots

Nihilism, absurdism, and to a further extent existentialism are very dark paths to travel down. I consider all that shit cursed knowledge in the sense that there really isn't anything you can learn or do to shake that sense of "nothing matters/nothing's real/even if this was real it wouldn't matter". In my experience the only cure seems to be to "unlearn" it so to speak. You basically have to convince yourself that something in your present reality matters, what that something is is different for everyone, and it doesn't matter what it is. You just have to find one thing, or force yourself to consider something matters, by any means. I spent 6 years in that existential rut. There's no way out but to figure out that one thing. For me it was golf. I bought some shitty yardsale clubs on a whim and bought a summer pass at a local public course. It allows me to focus on what really is a meaningless task, that is putting a ball in a hole in as few strokes as possible. But I forced it to have meaning in my life, and after a while that meaning becomes real in a way. An added bonus is that I get to do as much coke and drink as much beer as I want while fucking around in a public park.

For you it could be anything. You're probably on Yea Forums in hopes of stumbling upon your life's meaning through a certain book/author/genre recommendation. That could work, but also consider just forcing yourself to find meaning in something, then establish a constructive lifestyle around that activity/hobby/whatever. Eventually your life will revolve around that thing, and ultimately it will give itself true meaning to you, and true meaning to yourself.

Attached: 1554305329430.jpg (250x249, 14K)

>tfw I'm pretty sure my "thing" is loli and shitposting on Yea Forums

Attached: 1531028283179.png (830x1094, 104K)

have you read anything done by the stoics?

Bible, of course.

Bro fuck u

It makes me sad that Danny will never sit in another winning car. Bet he actually fell for the "honda a shit" memes

He looked decent in China, but yea the car is obviously worse than RB's, and that's without the reliability problems its had. Surprised to see a handful of F1 posters here.

Attached: daniel-ricciardo-red-bull-racing.jpg (1500x1000, 147K)

Renault won championships as their own team not to long ago, and their engines were extremely dominant before the v6 era with redbull. They've been struggling no doubt but I'm sure there's a chance at them coming back. Really the only way you win races these days is on a direct works team, which Renault is. I'm hopeful

25 in a couple months and I figured out how to become a bloomer in Feb. I'm glad I'm not that doomer faggot anymore.

Here ya go sweety

Attached: 1541976684153.jpg (2048x1366, 526K)

Crime statistics, by race (if your country still allows publishing them)

Attached: 1497070198480.png (480x480, 403K)

so if you're saying if I don't crave meaning then my only options are ancient asiatic religions or going full autist by drinking and killing arabs 24/7

what a retarded chart with even further retarded reading recommendations

Schopenhauer or Heidegger too

desu you sound like a brainlet
You'll fit in there, faggot.

My grandfather had a kid when he was 19 and probably lived more than most people.

>crying cause I called your retarded chart retarded

Attached: 1554266263598.png (508x490, 209K)

Here, this should suit you
Remember to clean your room!

Attached: 71KBsWtC6RL.jpg (1696x2560, 196K)

Having children back then was a lot less work. Nowadays if you want your children to succeed in the modern machine of capitalism than you need to turn being a father into a full time job, otherwise they'll be left in the dust very quickly. Back then children just needed to be fed and healthy, everything else can be easily sorted out once it comes up

Wait, are you actually only able to converse through memes? Sad tb8ch

Attached: 1313210103001.png (500x452, 71K)

Read Children of Hurin

You have two choices, desu.

1) read an absurdist/nihilists with a sense of humor (ala Beckett, Krasznahorkai, or Celine...maybe even Bernhard). at the very least, you’ll see the humor in a futile existence and will grow out of the insufferable whiny edgy teenage phase. At best, you’ll see why ascribing to the apathy of nihilism is itself nonsensical/meaningless.

2) Find a good writer in support of a cause...usually an exisistentialist or some other moralists (try Dostoevsky/Bulgakov/Ellison or maybe even Ishigaru). Hopefully the writer will win you over with sympathetic characters/situations. Only problem is you prob gotta ascribe to the cause in the first place...or read a very convincing author.

>absurdism
>dark path
what?

>About to turn 22 as well and this is by far one of the worst years of my life

Injured knee, injured shoulder, injured shoulder blade on the opposite side, and heavy carpal tunnel forming in my right elbow. Told by dentist I'll lose all my teeth in a matter of years if I don't get braces + surgery. Already had two of them pulled out, the one next to it is hurting as well - hell, my entire mouth hurts all the time for the past 3 years. I have had major stomach problems since highschool and my sinuses are inflammed so I have to blow my nose all day. Cherry on top is that my mattress is so old and messed up that I end up sleeping at like 3am every day from how painful it is on my back and sides. I woke up today feeling like I had a boxing match yesterday.

I can't exercise, I'm in constant, differing types of pain, I have to limit what I do on the computer (including writing), and I'm starting another retail job instead of being able to chase my life goals.

Yet, it's just a bump in the road compared to what others go through. Don't give up, user. if you're going to live for one thing, live just to deny the voices trying to break you down.

Attached: ah fuck.png (872x719, 323K)

Stop putting delusions about reality above the mind.

There is nothing you can read to remove this knowledge, all you can do is accept the nihilism and move on, I've started getting into art: drawing, cinematography, was already into music (drums, now piano and guitar), reading (primary sources: religion & philosophy; fiction (exclusively classics) all with creating (drawing, eventually painting, mixing & mastering new music, writing fiction and one non-fiction work prior to dying of old age) as the end goal. You have to find/create meaning in life it's the only way to move on. I advise art because if you think about it, creation is held as the highest ideal, religion being verse, poetry and song, religious iconography being paintings and statues, churches etc. architecture, hymns being music; secular activities also hold art to a high esteem: museums, theater, movies (though rarely artistic), music, fashion, performance art, etc. I'm sure if you look you'll see the same threads, art and creation is everywhere and seems to fulfill an important urge in humanity as a whole from the basis of all cultures to the focus of our pastimes, art brings forth emotions and creating art in any shape and form inevitably gives you a sense of something more.

Nietzsche and the stoics.

Unironically this. I'm turning 23 in 2 months and this year I've finally overcome a years-long prevalent nihilism. Might be a natural phase of human development, our pre-frontal cortex matures inútil we-re 25-26 years old. Maybe nihilism is the idologization of a limbic brain predominance until we've fully "grown" and can finally control our primitive emotion-driven lizard brain. Or simply put, ontogenesis imitates phylogenesis.

In the mean time, this helps. Also, no drugs. They're not good for you, don't romanticize them.

Until*

>Also, no drugs. They're not good for you, don't romanticize them.
This is the truth, and yes weed is a drug. The dangerous part isn't the substance itself most of the time, its the lifestyle that comes with it and the mindset it cultivates. A few years in that and its VERY hard to get out. You're constantly surrounded by mushy-headed burnouts who confuse melted wax on construction paper and lmao trippy eyes with art.

I'll be 28 in two months. Believe me it gets worse after 26. The dread now has the quality and strength of a physocal sensation.

>I'm turning 23 in 2 months and this year I've finally overcome a years-long prevalent nihilism.
You are me and I am you. Feels good

Just wait until you get older and your body/health starts to deteriorate. You'll laugh* at your stupid nihilism then.

Maybe you can achieve the same right now with some honest deep introspection. Ask yourself how bad life can get and if it really wouldn't bother you.

*figuratively

>most political existentialisms are left wing
/pol/tards btfo

are you retarded?
>my only options are ancient asiatic religions or going full autist by killing arabs 24/7
those are for craving meaning

tfw turning 23 in 12 days

Attached: 1544488433108.gif (216x150, 1.98M)

Zhuangzi helped me.

To understand the opposite of nihilism, you need to understand the roots of it in the Cartesian-Newtonian universe of the Enlightenment era. In this model the universe was created largely as it was, and is essentially a machine of cause and effect started by a First Cause which also sustains it. Everything is determined by mechanistic rules, including animals, which were though to be literal automatons. Humans were exempted from causal determinism by free will, which was given by God as self-creative inspiration.

This view began to be challenged in the era of Darwin who described a process that could account for life without requiring a creator-God, a trend that would be followed in every scientific field. God effectively died but the mechanistic universe model was largely maintained. This resulted in active nihilism (humans as the sole creators of meaning, who create meaning ex nihilo from a meaningless existence) and passive nihilism (even humans are mere meat robots.)

The sciences have moved increasingly away from mechanicism but it's remained in our public philosophy and the way we largely think about ourselves because it's the foundation of the entire world order, exemplified in the paradigm of game theory which describes humans as self-interest-maximizing agent-automatons. It has become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The opposite of nihilism is not theism, which is the root of the cancer. Theism is the monopolization of creative originality by an All-Creator, and the opposite is the anarchization of creativity, a pan-creativism where all occurrences are simultaneously self-creating and created by the categorical other, featuring both bottom-up causal influence and top-down self-influence. A metaphor is considering the universe not as a creative unity but a self-creating tapestry where each thread is created by and creates others. Instead of meaning being absent, created ex-nihilo, or a singular end to all things, meaning is infinite in potential and inexhaustible, an endless becoming where meaning is both objectively experienced as an immediacy and a subjective aim towards the future.

The perspective of life from this is engaging in one's existence as co-creative relationships between all things, most especially others humans which we are capable of sharing the most interiority and meaning-creating with. It is seeing other humans beings as other life-artists and engaging with them in the art of shared lives, to recognize individual autonomy and interdependence as not being in conflict but mutually essential.

We're all but One, brother. Not because we share blood nor seed, but because we share mind and soul.

t. Marcus Aurelius

What I learned from The Stranger is that you don't need a meaning to do something and as long as you don't understand the meaning behind that something you don't have to do it or even giving a shit about it, and if you didn't do it, you don't need to feel bad for not doing it, for doing it matters not and therefore not doing it doesn't matter either.

I recommend The Everlasting Man from G. K. Chesterton. He deals with the human race and how we "evolved" along the ages, in philosophy and in a spiritual way. His book Orthodoxy is also very good.

Read Schopenhauer and realize that happiness is a fleeting feeling that comes and goes, not a concrete object. Happiness should never be your motive in life, because it can never be attained, even if you satisfy your goals, it will come back or you will make new ones. Life is an endless struggle of all against all and that since desires are endless, suffering is endless.
Suffering can never be conquered, it is a beast which lives outside time and space, when we die, suffering will still live. it can only be minimized. (meditation, mindfulness, etc)

Then read nietzsche and realize its pain what gives us meaning and purpose. Suffering/desire is why we do anything. And we must use is as a tool to accomplish our goals and ambition. "what does not kill me, makes me stronger"

Attached: 7 words you cant say.jpg (300x384, 19K)

should i kill arab next?

if you killed all the arabs you won't have any purpose left to gain happiness from and killing one arab won't give you any satisfaction since there are still millions of arabs alive which is pointless
stop being a racist is the answer

yes, then read nick land and realize we must communicate with that which lives outside so we must accelerate the process of techno capital in order to deterritorialize social and economic conditions and reach the singularity were Cthulhu, i mean AI will kill us and end our suffering

25 and still a doomer
only thing keeping me going is my language learning progress

The sticky

have sex

nigger wut

read the chart, especially where it says "no" and points downward

Attached: 1313613920045.png (400x400, 8K)

Alan Watts

Hello lads. Are there F1 threads here? Would that be /o/ or Yea Forums?
Forgive me for my ignorance, I rarely venture outside Yea Forums, /ck/, and Yea Forums for shitposting

I turn 22 tomorrow

Nihilism and existentialism are almost always preceded by absurdism. The basis tenant of absurdism itself is making one reconsider the concept of "meaning" through showing how irrational our reality actually is. It by its very nature subjects you to extreme cases of contradiction, which at some point you'll realize isn't between reality and fiction, but between the meaningful and the meaningless. Absurdity forces the individual to realize how chaotic and thus purposeless the universe truly is, and is almost a medium through which the human mind enters the world of existential nihilism.

Attached: 1da.jpg (411x369, 12K)

>all these braindead replies without any good recommendations
read the Myth of Sisyphus by Camus OP, it plunges you further down the absurdist existentialist rabbit hole but then forces you to come out on top at the end. Anyone that spends their life living in nihilism is simply afraid to go further into dark but its the only way to get out of that funk. The only way to beat it is to true recognize it and embrace it

Good luck OP

Meaning stemming exclusively from religion, politics/other off-the-shelf worldviews, or, from "creating it yourself" is a false dichotomy. There are atheistic, naturalist philosophers that argue that morality and/or meaning are indeed inherent to the world via our ability to intuit objective truths about value. For a good intro see Michael Huemer's "Ethical Intuitionism" (Ignore his libertarian political philosophy stuff if that doesn't suit you; it probably irrelevant for your purposes). From there you can dive into other intuitionists and/or like-minded folks and start to see how meaning isn't necessarily subjective, whether it be in your own eyes, God's, or society's. A *somewhat* related idea is that there is a teological/quasi-purposeful pattern to the universe that cannot be explained by the simple "chaos" of physical particles colliding with each other. The laws that bind that chaos, and the laws of logic that abstractl over them present a real problem to jumping from "universe is chaos oh no" to "nothing matters", as the premise is likely false. Nagel's "Mind and Cosmos" is another good intro towards that end. Keep digging; good luck.

>tfw 23
>going through the most existential terror of my life
He's not kidding.

>a very specific age alone determines your emotional maturity
>mfw this thread

Attached: wat.gif (480x392, 3.16M)

What got you into this phase?

>A metaphor is considering the universe not as a creative unity but a self-creating tapestry where each thread is created by and creates others

DING DING DING anons, if you have to visualize it imagine a donut or maybe like a box of suspended marbles, but this is a very concise description

For one, ug Krish is better than shoppe on why you shouldn't be overzealous about pleasure. Second, correct me if I'm off but Schopenhauer said basically that same thing about pain. Still good recommends tho

>started ada when i was 20 with no real intention of reading it
>very slowly been eating away at it not ever reading more than a chapter every few months
>turn 22
>shit clicks
>been reading it and other books consistently now
>still not a very strong reader, so I have to Google a lot of shit.
>really making progress
>outlook on life is way more positive
>still have that feeling like nothing matters but in an optimistic way. no reason to feel guilty or ashamed when in the end it doesn't really matter, so you might as well enjoy it and have fun.

Unironically Plato's Apology

>cut out cancerfags but OG newfags the original cancer is allowed

Attached: jewishtricks.gif (240x180, 2.85M)

sounds like you crave meaning

how so

>tfw people in this thread are more or less children
Guys, I'm 29 and it really gets better. When you get a job and a family you will be too busy worrying about this kind of shit

Attached: oholm-510x311.jpg (510x311, 19K)

Yea Forums has a F1 general.

>local user commits philosophical suicide by surrounding himself with distractions and invented beliefs to elude any and all acknowledgement of the uncomfortable truth

Attached: 1f1xy6.jpg (991x902, 60K)

t. 19-23 year old

t. uneducated brainlet

Attached: elektrike.jpg (320x240, 82K)

REMINDER THAT DANIEL RICCIARDO IS UNEXPOSABLE

nazi and religion are "yes" which is for craving meaning
hedonism is "no"
you said that all of the points you mentioned were for not giving a shit about meaning yet the only point you mentioned was hedonism, the rest are for craving meaning

Read a book by a mediocre formula 1 driver, he convinced himself that making a car go VROOOOM mattered, maybe you can do something similar.

Attached: Wobbler.jpg (620x954, 115K)

You're disagreeing with the chart then, not me. I was disagreeing with the chart as well. Attune your reading comprehension to a higher standard next time before dishing out (You)s

Unironically just b happy
Chances are you're a white educated man from a middle or upper-middle class family if you're posting here, so you really have nothing to complain about. If you can't live an enjoyable life it's your own damn fault
t. no friends no gf loser who realized he was only miserable because he chose to be

>You're disagreeing with the chart then
I didn't, I simply followed the chart
"Do you crave meaning?" -> "Yes" -> "DIY" -> "Ubermensch"
"Do you crave meaning?" -> "Yes" -> "To go please" -> "Halelujah" -> "Religion"
"Do you crave meaning?" -> "No" -> "No, YOLO" -> "drinking and fucking"

I can't tell if you're trolling or you're actually just retarded or something at this point. My initial reply brought attention to the absurdity of the entire bottom half of the chart, which is the path you take if you don't crave meaning. The four remaining paths lead to solutions of hedonism, some retard shit about killing muslims, or following an ancient asiatic religion.

My only question now is you can have such garbage reading comprehension and still fill out all these captchas

three replies to your post ()
and all of them consider you as a retard
stop replying

SHUT THE FUCK UP. SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!!!

Attached: 39923EED-40A0-40E1-9EF3-1E7E7A33F136.jpg (1024x1024, 83K)

>everyone ITT that still fear death
It'll happen to your parents. It'll happen to your friends. It'll happen to you. If you want your life to be defined by fearing and being depressed about it then whatever.

Call your parent(s), user.

28 here. I found 27 to be the worst because it’s young enough to believe there’s still hope. I’m actually happy at 28 because I’ve given up on the idea that I’ll ever be anything or ever be remembered. Also just got my first real gf which helps.

Quit trolling, there were two and definitely one, probably both, was you, and your response didn't even make sense because it had nothing to do what I said.

Quit acting retarded for yous

Not that user but he's arguing and what you think he's arguing is entirely different. Go back and try again my dude

Attached: download.png (236x214, 5K)

Go back in time and watch edgy youtube philosophers when you were 15. You'll get over it by the time you reach 20, it worked for me

You can do it by living life. You are the entirety of your existence and there are clearly things that inherently matter to you.

Read Camus.

embrace the fact that objective good and methaphysics are mad real

if you favor science and believe that universe is nothing but pure matter, think about what underlies that matter, why everything exists in the first place. like our emotions are just chemicals in our brain, but how does the brain know what is art and how to react to it; best example is music, and i mean classical music, as it cant be found in nature, but even though it makes us joyful, sad or angry. im not saying that materialism isnt real, as it is probably 100% true, but im talking more about a transcendental framework that our world exists within

if you say morality is subjective, lets say that were dealing with a psychopath who has no boundaries, as he enjoys sadism, rape, murder etc. if it was truly subjective, we wouldnt be able to say that his morality is no worse than ours. and if you think about it basing on logic, it would be it. however, you cannot refute that youre "feeling" that something is off here. and im talking purely on that "feeling", that even though everything can be explained rationally, theres always a thought at the back of your head which wants to say what you really think. and you shouldnt ignore that

as i say, you always can explain something rationally, but having your worldview based solely on that is foolish and basically a plague of our times, that came from our pursuit of knowledge and decline of metaphysics

Attached: 1553511485123.jpg (854x687, 109K)

>
Metaphysics is retarded and so are you. No one wants your mental aids grounded in "muh feeling" and deduction dismissal

Attached: 1475529004151.png (741x609, 27K)

you havent really read or understood my post, have you?

I understand metaphysics fully, but to be fair your post was inane babbling that didn't really have much to do with what its really about. Go read critique of pure reason again. Regardless, the entire theory is dogshit by its very definition

who would have time or even want to
read kant lol, just get out of your basement and start living nigga

>who would have time or even want to read kant
Nigger you're on Yea Forums

Attached: qZFNpSwPDG-2.png (300x250, 23K)

>I understand metaphysics fully

Know how I know you've only dabbled in metaphysics?

>"I understand metaphysics fully" equals "I know everything about metaphysics"
Know how I know you're a retard with 0 reading comprehension?

I know full well what you meant, its just a weird statement from someone who supposedly knows the subject

you're assuming I give the theory even the slightest bit of respect

The Myth of Sisyphus.

why is this difficult to read?

Know how I know you've DABBED on metaphysics?

Do people really want to be remembered? God, if only a few apes could make the noise I turn my head to face when I hear it until the heat death of the universe, that would be fucking dream come true. Nothing in my body knows anything about meaning. I want to fuck, I want to own things, I want to laugh, I want people around me to feel good. Isn't there enough shit for you to be doing?

yeah it was created by some buttblasted christfag or something i think

OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS JESUS

A family member died and I felt the same way you did. This book actually made me feel a little better when I was reading it. The feeling of “Lostness” the book created really spoke to me. The book gives a sense that the world had already ended and the characters were left to live in a world that was already finished and they knew it.

Basically like 5% of the populous suddenly disappeared a few years before the book starts. They have no clue what happened. The book is about how the people left behind try to move on with their lives. The whole world had been plunged into despair and nihilism. Both religion and science had failed and the government in the book had become murderous.

There was like 5 characters and each one had to find a reason to live in a world where there was none anymore.

Attached: 856BF7AC-9B54-46AD-9170-64CAA39549E0.jpg (328x500, 31K)

You basically need faith, im not talking about some abrahmic god or shit like that. You need to BELIEVE in something greater than yourself. Reality is a lie we tell ourselves every second of every waking hour, and through repetition comes certainty. You need to start telling you happier lies, its all a lie anyway, including the idea of an individuated self, so why not change the story to a better one

Not the French like Ricciardo. Read the Russians.

any recommendation as far as who's good at translating Bulgakov? Really want to read M&M

this, but unironically

Very interesting post. I would like to hear more.

You need to find your own meaning. I guess Camus is a good place to start.

Pic unrelated.

Attached: 7a401f8afbe80d240ed50199a197adf67945ebaev2_hq.jpg (1024x998, 86K)

Watch Synecdoche: New York

Stop overindulging your imaginary misery.

>metaphysics
>one theory
Yeah, you don't know shit.

i got more of a feeling that life is pointless in a bad way from it

You just need to watch neon genesis evangelion and also understand it.
Totally cured my depression when i was an edgy teen.

I feel like somebody's always observing and judging me. Whenever I go out in public, sit down to eat at a cafe, ride the train or sit in class, I imagine there's an anonymous spectator assessing me and what I've chosen to wear or how I act. I feel like I consciously have to manipulate the muscles in my face, pretend to read things I'm not interested in on my phone or refrain from taking too many notes to uphold or reject the positive or negative assessment I imagine they've formed of me. I'm not sure why this happens, nobody ever speaks to acknowledges me. I'm not even sure what they'd say to me if they judged me poorly, but it consumes me all the same. I can't relax in public anymore, or even online, as I imagine situations where people go through my search history and judge me even for my thoughts and worries, so I always try and sprinkle in things I wasn't really thinking to balance it out a bit.

I think it's gotten worse as I've gotten older. I'm painfully aware that I'm a 24 year old who's only just starting college again, with no life experience, never had a girlfriend or a close friend, never travelled, no stories to tell. My 'interests' are extremely entry-level, I've enjoyed the books I've read but I'm woefully out of depth in any real discussion. I like art, but I'm a toddler speaking to an arts student. I feel like I'm far behind most people even younger than me, and anyone who meets me would instantly judge me and how I've wasted so much time, how I've lived so long doing absolutely nothing. I've never fit in anywhere - it's beyond a joke how I can find myself amongst any group of people and in very little time wind up on the outer, seemingly by default. It feels like in the absence of a social group to support and validate my existence, I turn to the anonymous observer as synecdoche for societal validation.

Please recommend me a book.

>Pic unrelated
then why post pic tho, it isn't like you can't post without it

shaftesburys characteristicks

kek

Survivor's bias mate, of course the people who make it into old age (meaning they haven't kill themselves or socially isolated themselves yet. Think about it, all the unhappy old people isolate themselves socially, so ofc you wouldn't know of their existence) are a heavily pre- selected group.
Survivor's bias gets noticed rarely, but is everywhere if you look closely.

Read Colin Wilson
youtube.com/watch?v=uNvLVEfBjBI

Thank you user, do you have recommendations for material (literature, music, art, whatever) close to this cluster of thought?

Moby Dick

Attached: moby.png (930x185, 29K)

Bukowoski

41 here. It gets worse. You can't even imagine.

>tfw just turned 23 and became bloomer

Never had the doomer phase. Feels good, life has no meaning but we have our virtues and tasks. Levinas was right - the ''I'' is defined by the ''they''

>you're wrong cause I say so, ignore the fact I can't refute any of your points

Attached: 1508969370962.png (645x729, 55K)

it was actually you who havent gave any arguments why was wrong, saying that it was "inane babbling" instead of giving arguments

maybe reread the posts then brainlet friendo

I'm not the user who posted about spiritual business, I have no point other than this one: you're a pseud

>he only talks in memes

Attached: 1363145629_2925_-_john_cena_laughing_pointing_suit_wwe.png (424x318, 193K)

Have sex with someone you find attractive.

More pointedly, you seem to be using metaphysics as a synonym for "spooky nonsense I disagree with", which is totally wrong, and have referred to metaphysics as if its one singular theory or one thing to be understood, which is strange if you in fact understand it.

You'd have to be seriously braindead to not understand how fundamentally flawed even the basic notion is. Go back to your freshman seminar kid

> to not understand how fundamentally flawed even the basic notion is
Which basic notion would this be? Not memeing, looking to understand for now just so I'm sure we're talking about the same thing.

Inner Engineering by Sadhguru

I got put off by the spirituality nonsense, but the part about the intellect being something that can only cut out pieces of reality and not comprehend the whole of it was pretty cool.

I think the main problem is that we build expectations/preferences for something to happen, then when we see ourselves not being triumphant or challenging ourselves we see ourselves as bitches.

No one would choose to think they are bitches. They'd rather think that whatever is within their grasp right now is enough for them, and that they need nothing more.

The mind developed to survive and run from threats. The conundrum is the modern era is with which threat do we choose to involve ourselves.

I have come to the line of thinking that since modern life doesn't force us to be absolutely life and death serious, we lapse into energy preservation mode.

Meaning appears to only exist in sacrifice i.e kids or brainchildren(books, legacy, public works).

The further you are from a heart-pounding, terrifying, and psychologically dangerous pursuit the less you are able to feel like life is worth living, because there are no stakes.

I grew up watching stories of people who live important, urgent lives. They are trying to do something, they are honest, they are expressing feelings, they have a pleasant appearance and all while experiencing this I am safe and disconnected from their troubles.

This is a subtle sort of danger. When you don't commit yourself to sacrifice, you are separate from meaning, and you also separate yourself from the world.

"Better to be smothered by life than to not be in it."

Metaphysics can only ever produce artificial knowledge completely ungrounded in reality. It by very nature assumes everything we observe isn't what it actually is. Every branch of metashit basically tries to convince to people that they were able to deduce shit without prior knowledge of it, which is insanely flawed. Anyone shilling metaphysics is a 1st year uni student in a curriculum recquired greek philo seminar

you're just getting le epic trolled maymay style dude, everyone knows metaphysics is nothing more than a step up from primitive superstition. It was a decent stepping stone into modern philosophy but that's really all it was. I wouldn't take anyone seriously that says they actually believe in it

Attached: 259.jpg (600x600, 26K)

Thank you, now we are clear.

>Metaphysics can only ever produce artificial knowledge completely ungrounded in reality.
Most of contemporary analytic metaphysics would like a word with you. Quine comes to mind as someone who sees metaphysics as having a very different relationship to reality than the one you're arguing against.

>It by very nature assumes everything we observe isn't what it actually is.
Once again, you're conflating a very specific form of metaphysics (something like German Idealism or Platonism for example) with metaphysics as a whole.

>Every branch of metashit basically tries to convince to people that they were able to deduce shit without prior knowledge of it
"lol what is empiricism, never heard of it" - You

Empiricism, naturalism, nominalism, and many other positions which seem to be more up your alley (as in, free of unnecessary abstractions and closely linked in truth value to observable reality, which is fine) are themselves metaphysical positions. You literally don't even understand the words you're using or what they mean.

To each their own

>waits anxiously for reply and quickly google pastes a bunch of contemporary arguments to my broad critique of user's original post of a metaphysical solution to nihilism

Your first point is ignoring the fact that every metaphysical thesis eventually receives a successful counter. Your second isn't even remotely true. And your third is a highly contentious debate older than dirt with no real conclusion.

>You literally don't even understand the words you're using or what they mean.
Not even sure what you're memeing here other than a quick "lol ur dumb" or something. You've swallowed the modern metaphysics meme pill pretty hard user, please read something other than Armstrong

Attached: smitten.png (233x272, 86K)

>change your gender
>convert to Islam
>become radical reformer
>be publicly stoned in the streets of Yemen
>achieve satori
>unlock superpowers
>open up black hole time warp
>discover Nick Land
>fingers gently brush his face
>he wonders what i am doing in Shanghai
>i wonder that too
>reverse engineer rules of time and space
>this whole time i was actually Immanuel Kant
>that's fucked up
>wait for history to unfold
>endless procession of samsara, births and deaths and rebirths
>lose track of all time and space in cosmic play of illusions
>zhuangzi_butterfly.jarpig

Attached: max-mug-shot.jpg (420x430, 53K)

cursed post

Attached: 1524267841998.png (640x628, 150K)

>waits anxiously
My man I'm here anyway

>quickly google pastes a bunch of contemporary arguments to my broad critique of user's original post of a metaphysical solution to nihilism
I mean I don't see how mentioning one particular author is "a bunch", nor did I have to google anything, but okay. And like I said, I'm not defending that user. Thats his job. I'm saying that your handling of the term metaphysics is ass backwards and misinformed.

>Your first point is ignoring the fact that every metaphysical thesis eventually receives a successful counter
This is a ridiculous argument. We once believed in Newtonian mechanics, which was successfully countered by Einstein, which is in the process of being countered by something else. This does not mean that we should abandon science, does it? Since every scientific theory eventually has received a successful counter?

>your second isn't even remotely true.
Explain, it seems to me exactly right. You're accusing metaphysics of being committed to all sorts of fuzzy non-physical concepts, which I'm saying is not true across the board.

>Not even sure what you're memeing here other than a quick "lol ur dumb" or something.
This isn't a meme, you're just not talking about what you think you're talking about. You keep referring to "metaphysics" as if its one position that requires weird commitments to abstractions. This is not the case, yet you continue to do it. "Modern metaphysics" is the exact opposite of this, and I'm not sure why you're associating me with that position anyway.

You're conflating my arguments with metaphysics as a whole with specific branches that have to make exceptions to avoid such critiques but end up failing anyways. All of your arguments are completely anecdotal and honestly its just seeming like this user is entirely correct about you trolling. You're bringing up cherrypicked anecdotes about Einstein, and its cute that you're claiming not to use google when you're using precise branches of metaphysics that addressed the issues I discuss, but its funny when those branches themselves have been met with overwhelming criticism. Your last point is absurd, claiming that metaphysics isn't a branch of philosophy, or at the least it isn't a type of philosophy that has a concrete definition, solely because it has spawned many different branches. My original critique was on the field as a whole. You constantly saying metaphysics has many nuances doesn't change the fact that it indeed can be boiled down to a single original branch with a single original foundation that can appropriately be referred to as retardedly flawed

Yup. Those YouTube videos saved me a couple years ago. I'm 27 now. 23-25 were the worst years so far.

That angst and nihilism stems from a warped perspective in life. It's a certain type of narcisim that compounds on itself with self-pity. It became a wretched creature in my mind. I would have a good day and start to build a foundation of meaning in my life and this creature would whisper skepticisms in my ear at night. Ugly, crippled, dependent, miserable, suffering, insatiable. Some nights I could fight it off. Spinoza, Zen Buddhism, Kierkegaard, and Carl Jung armed me. My personal metaphysics shifted into idealism and I am in a place now, where I can fight this demon.

Personally I find Nietzsche to be incredibly entertaining but ultimately unhelpful in this fight.

Weed helped me confront my internal problems in new ways, but I'm done with the stuff now. I would highly recommend LSD for the depersonalization experience.

got any good links for those watts vids?

> All of your arguments are completely anecdotal
As opposed to what, exactly? This is a non-statement

>You're bringing up cherrypicked anecdotes about Einstein
Cherrypicked is a funny word for relevant, and how is this an anecdote? It is a fact that currently, physics is moving away from his theories, its basically a foregone conclusion. You also seem to have totally missed the point of that comparison, unsurprisingly.

>its cute that you're claiming not to use google when you're using precise branches of metaphysics that addressed the issues I discuss
Or, OR, it could be that I actually know somewhat what I'm talking about?

>those branches themselves have been met with overwhelming criticism
Thing criticized=throw out thing entirely? Absolutely awful logic. Find me something that hasn't been criticized, anything. That means nothing. Thats not even the point.

>claiming that metaphysics isn't a branch of philosophy, or at the least it isn't a type of philosophy that has a concrete definition, solely because it has spawned many different branches
Your reading comprehension is as bad as your argumentation. Metaphysics absolutely IS a branch of philosophy, and one that can be fairly well defined. Nowhere did I claim otherwise.

>My original critique was on the field as a whole
Which is exactly why it failed, how are you not getting this

> it indeed can be boiled down to a single original branch
No, it can't be, not in any meaningful way. Trying to reduce all metaphysics to the Greeks and then dismissing it based on that foundation is like dismissing atomic theory because it might be traced back to Democritus, who was wrong about his particular iteration of atomic theory. You are painfully dense.

>eludes all arguments against his logical fallacies by using the different logical fallacies
bad troll is bad

this post legit gave me a existential feeling

Attached: dfd.png (557x464, 303K)

>if I call everything a fallacy nobody will know I'm retarded

>local user literally cannot stop using ad hominems, anecdotal evidence, and strawmans, etc. in lieu of actual arguments because he's trolling and doesn't care who knows it

Attached: I+don+t+upload+any+content+anyway+_36b996b334f808a1dc76b2aa4489408c.png (208x200, 22K)

>unrepentant halfwit manages to go multiple posts without forming a coherent argument, instead relies on r/atheism level buzzwords
>sources say he feels proud of himself

>n-n-no you're retarded! megalolz I win

>metaphysics
>idealism

Attached: Photograph-of-Michel-Foucault-by-Michele-Bancilhon.png (617x611, 245K)

Sorry I only take advice from happy gurus.

I have a related, maybe even in some sense inverted question to the OP:
How do I stop wanting and trying to convince people of things.

I'm already moderately good at selecting what affects me and so, in some cases, don't really give a shit and can take things more "at face value".
I don't want to fall for the renaissance man / objectivism meme, but I'm sure that there are things where not engaging is healthies and more effective. Not letting people stop you by them stating contrarian opinions. I think it also aids in getting following/compagning by just going on and ignoring critique that doesn't amount to more than "I don't like that."

Who've achieved a nice geniun not giving a shit level - and I don't mean cynics comedians who think life sucks types.

Attached: applbla.jpg (1280x1792, 260K)

No, sorry. I just dove right in. There are a few bad ones, but most are excellent.

I've never read Foucault.

reccomend me some levinas works?
which one is related to “i and they”?
what about the virtues and tasks?

youtube.com/watch?v=8tS4LRDm7Ts is a good one

Attached: AR_helmet.jpg (1080x1080, 282K)

> Please recommend me a book.

Overcoming Social Anxiety: Step by Step

I doubt your problem is related to books and books will likely not change much about it.
Go for a clean life for a while. The /fit/ kind.

Islam doesn't allow gender changing

In iran they force gays to change genders because transsexuals are accepted but gays arent.
Also saw a documentary with loads of trans in pakistan, they were are prostitutes though.

Why do you want to get over it? Because it's making you miserable? Philosophical pessimism doesn't make you miserable, just having a shit life, so even if you change your philosophy without changing your life it's not going to improve.

It's like how Sartre said the happiest period of his life was when he was writing what was seen as bleak and depressing shit, or if you read interviews with Cioran ect, he actually comes across as being really satisfied and happy with life regardless of his philosophical pessimism.