Please help Yea Forums. I have only recently taken to reading as I hated being forced to read growing up...

Please help Yea Forums. I have only recently taken to reading as I hated being forced to read growing up. The problem lies with the recommendations I’ve been getting. I personally like sci-fi/philosophical books but my friends have been giving me pretty reddit tier recommendations so now I’ve read 1984, DADOES,& 2001. Please give me some not so plebeian recommendations.

Attached: A5527401-7597-43C0-890E-F85CEEFD2CAE.jpg (600x935, 140K)

>I personally like sci-fi/philosophical books

Gravity's Rainbow

Gravity's rainbow unironically. Its a pretty easy novel to read and great for beginners!

three body problem

I’ll definitely check it out!

Read Philip K. Dick - Ubik and Alfred Bester - The Demolished Man.

seconding, everybody loves some good Dick

The Cyberiad and Solaris by Stanlislaw Lem.
The Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe
Fourth Mansions and/or Nine Hundred Grandmothers by R.A. Lafferty

Paycheck is a good Dick short story and a nice introduction into the man's work.

Attached: dune.jpg (1144x2560, 1022K)

I enjoyed Do Androids so I’ll check out some more!

Philosophical sci-fi? Utopia by Thomas More.

Aldous Huxley is usually what people read after Orwell, try Brave New World, some people hate it but I think it's a lot of fun

H G Wells' sci fi stuff was pretty good if you dont mind older stuff - War of the Worlds/The Time Machine are safe bets

If you want an easy but good but short intro into the Victorian writing style try Jekyll and Hyde by Stevenson first

For easy, more modern sci fi ish stuff with a philosophical bent try High Rise (J G Ballard) and A Clockwork Orange (Burgess)

I read Brave New World in high school actually and I agree it’s pretty fun!

Hp lovecraft

The novella At The Mountains of Madness is a good one

Ubik is Dick's best. Other stuff: Kafka, read The Trial and Metamorphosis. The Stranger by Albert Camus is good, gl OP

Read Against Nature (A Rebours) by J. K. Huysmans

This user knows what he's talking about. H. G. Wells wrote some excellent sci-fi. Along with The Time Machine and War of the Worlds, you should check out The Island of Dr. Moreau and The Invisible Man.

This, Lovecraft is the best horror author of the 20th century. Either go through his work chronologically or start off with The Call of Cthulhu and The Shadow Over Innsmouth. If you prefer sci-fi horror over pure horror, then start off with The Colour Out of Space.

You should read Gravity's Rainbow at some point, but the best place to start with Pynchon is The Crying of Lot 49. It's one of his easiest to comprehend novels and it's pretty short.

Atwood's "Oryx and Crake" is like if Brave New World was written by a modern day geneticist and I think it's a better book

Sirens of Titan and Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut are also among my favorite sci-fi. Vonnegut is hit-or-miss, some people love his writing style and others can't stand it

>Atwood
Eww. However, I agree that Vonnegut is worth checking out. OP, start with either Cat's Cradle or Slaughterhouse-Five.