Its a Levin's farm chapter

>its a Levin's farm chapter
*flips through pages*

Attached: 51uvFiq9ZdL._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (322x499, 38K)

Those are the best chapters, you worthless philistine.

They're shit

the harvest episode is the best part of the entire book u brainlet

>muh Mowing grass and drinking peasant sop
>muh cheating women are indicative of depth
>muh milquetoast Kitty is the reward for sanctity

Levin was a slave rapist, you know

yeah that's what slaves are for

Explain. Why do you think they're best?

>Wasting your time with this when you can read War and Peace instead

>War and Peace, though a little too long, is a rollicking historical novel written for that amor-phic and limp creature known as "the general reader," and more specifically for the young. In terms of artistic structure it does not satisfy me. I derive no pleasure from its cumbersome message, from the didactic interludes, from the artificial coincidences, with cool Prince Audrey turning up to witness this or that historical moment, this or that footnote in the sources used often uncritically by the author.

Attached: 220px-Vladimir_Nabokov_1973b.jpg (220x206, 13K)

>it's a Levin monologues what are obviously Tolstoy's own thoughts chapter
why didn't he just write essays ffs

well tolstoy hadn't "converted" by the time of writing anna karenina and levin's thoughts were a way for tolstoy to work through the ideas in fiction

I feel you op. Great storytellers can be annoying brainlets when it comes to 'philosophy'.

When he mows the grass? Made me miss my time in the Ozarks when I was young

those are the only bits I remember 5 years after reading it.

I remember the bit where Anna's husband realises she's having an affair because it reminds me of myself

Levin's philosophising almost made me hate this otherwise perfect book. I despise Levin as far as he acts as Tolstoy's self-insert. Harvest and hunting episodes were peak comfy though.

His chapters alone working in his lands are fucking dreadful.
He is the best and most important character in the book though.

Oblonsky was such a Chad.

What a terrible fucking cover

>It's a "Pierre's diary" chapter
I'll read it, very well, but curse you Lev Nikolaevich, curse you!

>tfw levin or pierre chapter
>tfw tolstoy self insert chapter
This is me. Literally me. No other character can come close to relating to me like this. There is no way you can convince me this is not me. This character could not possibly be anymore me. It's me, and nobody can convince me otherwise. If anyone approached me on the topic of this not possibly being me, then I immediately shut them down with overwhelming evidence that this character is me. This character is me, it is indisputable. Why anyone would try to argue that this character is not me is beyond me. If you held two pictures of me and this character side by side, you'd see no difference. I can safely look at this character every day and say "Yup, that's me". I can practically see this character every time I look at myself in the mirror. I go outside and people stop me to comment how similar I look and act to this character. I chuckle softly as I'm assured everyday this character is me in every way. I can smile each time I get out of bed every morning knowing that I've found my identity with this character and I know my place in this world. It's really quite funny how similar this character is to me, it's almost like we're identical twins. When I first saw this character, I had an existential crisis. What if this character was the real me and I was the fictional being. What if this character actual became aware of my existence? Did this character have the ability to become self aware itself?

What did Nabokov like anyways? He seemed to hate everything

He liked the actually great writers (Tolstoy, Joyce, Shakespeare, for a few particular examples), he just attacked the overrated. And he wasn’t averse to changing his mind, he started out hating Austen but then conceded she was an absolute genius later in life.

That night he and Vielovsky go to the field to make out with some peasent girls

He really liked Joyce.

In fact I’m positively irked rn, gonna purify the thread with this example of a good cover (if Spanish)

Attached: A698E26D-BB41-42BD-986A-7656A8CECC8A.jpg (296x450, 30K)

Ou anglais

Attached: C10C9242-EBAC-4DA7-B719-63AC98432245.jpg (562x800, 72K)

I remember reading a quote showing his dislike of finnegans wake, but I haven't seen his opinions on Joyce's other work yet

Other user is correct, he called Ulysses the greatest 20th century novel and adulated him generally. Similarly, he viewed Tolstoy as the GOAT but, as you see, hated War and Peace.

Didn't he complain FW was too conventional? I assume his putdowns are half serious and half knowing quote making