Why does this board dislike English Yea Forums so much...

Why does this board dislike English Yea Forums so much? There's always someone saying how English is the worst language for literature yet I never see them explain why.
Perhaps the continentals are jealous of the fact that the English race has produced such great authors such as Pope, Shakespeare, Joyce, O'Brien, Donne, Tolkien etc

Attached: shakespere.jpg (198x254, 4K)

>There's always someone saying how English is the worst language for literature yet I never see them explain why.
>Perhaps the continentals are jealous

I don't think this matters, it's only a few contrarian try-hards who think like this. The real problem is Anglophones who think they can get away with ignoring Anglo giants like Dickens while they spend all their time reading translations of Russian and French novels. Which is fine, don't get me wrong, but you HAVE TO COME HOME ANGLO MAN.

Wasn't Joyce Irish?

Meaning = Meaning

wow

Attached: anglosrdumb.png (1583x289, 27K)

No

English is devoid of metaphysical content. It's empty, sterilized. They don't even differentiate genders.

mixed up the pictures

Attached: anglosrrlyfuckingdumb.png (636x479, 30K)

>Pope
garbage
>Shakespare
more garbage
>Joyce
garbagelicious
>O'Brien
literally who
>Donne
are you making these names up?
>Tolkien
LMAO

*nglos are a blight upon this world, none of their literature was ever worth shit

>English race
>posts two Irish authors (by blood and nationality)
OH NO NO NO NO NO NO

When you get down to the core definitions of language everything will be circular and tautological. For example you can't describe the colour yellow without invoking yellow. you also haven't explained why a gendered language is any richer than a non gendered language.

its just contrarianism. if this board was a fr*nch board, they would be screaming about how the collapse of the Anglo empire was the worst event to ever happen. But its not french, its english, so out of their self hate they must attack God's own language.

as was o'brien (obviously)

Use a different dictionary, retard. There's more than one.

Attached: meaning.png (826x415, 34K)

>They don't even differentiate genders.
And? "Gender" is simply a grammatical concept that doesn't necessarily indicate anything about the meaning of a word. For example the Latin term meaning "manliness" or "manhood" (virtutis) is feminine.

Meaning in french "Sens" means;
senses (perception)
direction (spatial)
.... and 20 others meanings which I won't explore in this reply (intuition, symbolic representation etc etc...)

So "Le sens de la vie" cannot be translated as it simultaneously means "The direction of life (vectorial)" and "The meaning of life". So 'meaning' has a spatial quality to it, it is at least bidimensional. We can see how French has already roulé l'anglais dans la poussière sur la simple définition du mot 'meaning' kek

That's literally 1% of it, I could write an entire essay comparing both words.

>if this board was a fr*nch board
soon

Attached: SENS.png (465x451, 69K)

You know those are entirely different words, right? "Mean" in English comes from Old English with cognates in Dutch and German, carrying idea of intent. "Sens" comes from Latin, with the idea more of perception or the senses. There's no reason to think they should be expressing the same thing even if the meanings overlap to some degree.

It’s a bunch of Dante fags who found out about each other in a recent thread and who are now trying to delude others.

But there’s also the other side of the coin: a lot of Anglos here act as if English was the most perfect language in the world and literature in English language inherently superior. In the end is just a matter of egocentrism and patriotism and blind-faith on both sides.

Latin is God's language.

That's Greek and Hebrew, you translation-reading pleb.

In other news, can anyone suggest the ideal book for his collected works?

There's an Argentine cohort here that hates England.

Gender makes a language prettier.

English is more precise. French writers have to go out of their way to contextualize, but even then there’s always an element of ambiguity. English is a scalpel, French is a paintbrush.

>Ibrahim identified three possible useful roles of grammatical gender:[38]

>In a language with explicit inflections for gender, it is easy to express the natural gender of animate beings.
>Grammatical gender "can be a valuable tool of disambiguation", rendering clarity about antecedents.
>In literature, gender can be used to "animate and personify inanimate nouns".

>Among these, role 2 is probably the most important in everyday usage.[citation needed] Languages with gender distinction generally have fewer cases of ambiguity concerning, for example, pronominal reference. In the English phrase "a flowerbed in the garden which I maintain" only context tells us whether the relative clause (which I maintain) refers to the whole garden or just the flowerbed. In German, gender distinction prevents such ambiguity. The word for "(flower) bed" (Beet) is neuter, whereas that for "garden" (Garten) is masculine. Hence, if a neuter relative pronoun is used, the relative clause refers to "bed", and if a masculine pronoun is used, the relative clause refers to "garden". Because of this, languages with gender distinction can often use pronouns where in English a noun would have to be repeated in order to avoid confusion. It does not, however, help in cases where the words are of the same grammatical gender. (There are often several synonymous nouns of different grammatical gender to pick from to avoid this, however.)

Attached: friend.png (675x864, 29K)

>It is a bleak Day. Hear the Rain, how he pours, and the Hail, how he rattles; and see the Snow, how he drifts along, and oh the Mud, how deep he is! Ah the poor Fishwife, it is stuck fast in the Mire; it has dropped its Basket of Fishes; and its Hands have been cut by the Scales as it seized some of the falling Creatures; and one Scale has even got into its Eye. And it cannot get her out. It opens its Mouth to cry for Help; but if any Sound comes out of him, alas he is drowned by the raging of the Storm.

Attached: mark-twain.jpg (271x300, 7K)

So where are you disagreeing with me? The poster I was responding to said that lacking gender indicates being devoid of metaphysical content. You respond by talking about how it helps clarify sentences. English does the same with word order. English can personify inanimate nouns and often uses gender to do so. And gender, though it can indicate natural gender, generally does not. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

I wasn't disagreeing with anything. I was just showing the usefulness of genders.

Attached: IMG_20190414_182857.jpg (720x407, 76K)

The angloid meme has infected their brains

I don't see a lot of blanket anglo supremacism, just healthy Shakespeare supremacy. Retards who think Bloom invented this can't even into romanticism.

Swarthy med manlets with unibrows and thick backhair basically have a 'muh dick' attitude about literature and everything relating to northern europe. It's like bruh it isn't my fault you're 5'7 get over it, yeah sure I'm jealous of the Roman empire and spaghetti, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Attached: anglo.png (962x683, 1.36M)

>we anglos are tall, and uh, yeah we're tall
>swarthy meds are seething

mmmmmouai mmmmmouaaaai

Attached: Capture-d’écran-2016-09-17-à-12.59.19.png (633x264, 54K)

What are anglos doing in slavlands?

Did u download this image on 1st gen ipod

world cup

Anglos are simply disgusting and any of their attempts to put their blight on paper should be met with resistance,hopefully they will be rooted out completely soon

Perfidious Albion

The Falklands are British

QLF igoent, paz

>that final sentence

Attached: 1509077012316.jpg (499x484, 66K)

these are C*ltoids from the norf and NOT English

>Perhaps the continentals are jealous of the fact that the English race has produced such great authors such as Pope, Shakespeare, Joyce, O'Brien, Donne, Tolkien etc
this is supreme bait

The only good writers from those islands are Irish.

It's just a few butthurt ESL's trying to start shit. English lit is dominant on this board, no fucking idea where you get that Yea Forums dislikes it.