Such, however, is the case with many men of learning: they have read themselves stupid...

>Such, however, is the case with many men of learning: they have read themselves stupid. For to read in every spare moment, and to read constantly, is more paralyzing to the mind than constant manual work, which, at any rate, allows one to follow one’s own thoughts.

He's right you know.

Attached: shoppe.jpg (660x440, 191K)

yes he's right that's why one should not rely too much on books. maybe 3 books on month at most. read a book think about for a few day

>Shoppe and his lovely wife.jpg

>everybody reads stupid but me!

>spoke latin
>spoke greek
>references every philosopher under the Sun in his dissertation which he wrote in the 20s
Yeah, Arthur, reading is ghey

well maybe later he found out that he was gay
that's why he gave this advice

he's not saying reading is bad, he advocates thinking for yourself, and reading once your thinking has dried up

"To read too much is harmful."

Isn't he wrong though. It doesn't seem likely that "men of learning" just read all the time and never think and digest what they are reading. He'd have more of a point if he was specifically talking about people who just absorb their reading dogmatically at face value.

to drink too much water is harmful.
if you're just reading to read, reading 365 books a year or whatever, that's harmful

Reminder that his Immortality dialogue is the only good thing he wrote.

>everybody read stupid but me

Certainly you are more stupid, were it a measursble trait.

On topic, he's right although the statement is easily misunderstood, intentionally or not. A great example would be Mao's famous quote "reading too many books is dangerous" used yo impose on him an anti-intellectual tendency, which is a misconception that contradicts policies like the "hundred flowers campaign".

Basically, intelectual development should always be me with a praxis to test the knowledge amassed.

To*

Met*

If reading in every spare moment is bad for your mind imagine the thoughts of today's young generation, who only leaves social media to watch Netflix series.

maybe he is speaking from experience

>imagine the thoughts of today's young generation, who only leaves social media to watch Netflix series.
what do zoomers actually think?

It's like chomskys quote about postmodernism. Students get so bogged down in the theory that they forget about the actual extant problems in the world like healthcare corporations etc. Reading is good but it's very possible to read yourself stupid.

They don't think. They don't have time for that when they bombard themselves 24/7 with information.

What's their endgame?

Not sure, but i think this was later schopenhauer. He pointed out how Kant started acting childlike in old age because he overused his brain.

>"were it a"
sear off your fingerprints you pleb

To crash this nation with no survivors