Decide how my favorite character will die

>Decide how my favorite character will die
>Tear up
Forgive me...

Attached: Sorry, bro.jpg (833x595, 115K)

If any of the characters die your book is instantly pleb trash. I can't think of any good books where a character dies.

I knew the Bible was total shit but I was having trouble justifying it, ty user

How about the last three that I read?
The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With the Sea
The Metamorphosis
The Trial

Wait, I just realized how retarded I am for falling for that obvious bait...God damnit.

Because you don't read good books at all

Attached: Neptna.png (517x477, 255K)

Tehnically nobody in the Bible dies, they just transcend their mortal bodies and either live eternally in Heaven, Limbo or Hell depending on their honor meter.
Hate to say it user but you've been reading pleb trash. The works of Seuss, Silverstein, and the immortal Berenstains are waiting for you when you're ready to move on to real literature.
>He says, posting a character from a low quality "light novel."

I haven't even read any of the neptunia novels or played any of the games. If it's trash I'm not surprised you know it well enough to have that opinion on it

Regardless, the countless deaths in Neptunia books put them in the category of pleb trash.

You realize that deaths are a real thing, right? If no character died ever that would just feel off and you would never have to worry about what happens next. Death can be overused, but refusing to ever use it at all is kinda dumb. What's certainly dumb is putting the same standard on other writers.

And can the villains not die either? They're characters too. Fuckin jeez. For the record the character I am killing off doesn't even have that much "screen time" when compared to others. I just really like him and he's around for basically the entire thing. I haven't written the books yet, but I've essentially kept an entire series in my head for about 8 years now, so deciding the best end was for him to die was painful to do.

at first I thought you were a plen but I see from this post that you are the patrician and I am the fool. You have given me much to think about

Death is just a lazy way to tack a conclusion on to a characters story. It's a cheap way out when you've written yourself into a corner regarding a characters personal arc.
>First the good guy does this then he does this and uhhhhhhhh then he dies because I am a lazy hack writer

what if a character arc involves the death of a friend/relative?

imagine thinking Tolstoy wrote himself into a corner with Anna Karenina so he threw her in front a train

Attached: 1511843930515.jpg (262x307, 16K)

He's a fucking old man, retard. He doesn't die of old age, it's something more complex than that. He even lives past moments where he's useful to the story, so his death is completely organic. You know what's the cheapest of all? 100% of characters somehow getting out of every situation alive. That can be used decently as well, but there is a limit to this shit.

I realize you're baiting, but I want to have this conversation to whet my argumentation in this subject.

Thanks for ruining the plot of Anna Karenina asshat

The proper question to ask is not "what of their death," but "what of their life?" Imagine your main character moving into a comfortable Seattle apartment with the family member in question. Maybe he is a retired cop with a dog named Eddy and a therapist son with a radio show who he often gets into conflict with. Now that, that is great literature.
Imagine believing otherwise.
You've only succeeded in eliminating all chances of the jaded old man delivering a snarky monologue over the moments of the film that he's involved in in your inevitable film adaptation. Orson Welles is turning in his grave. He never used the "mortality crutch," as he called it, in his literature.

LOL
guess what, that dude in the sixth sense? that was Bruce Willis, the whole movie.

I also have a story where one of the characters outlives the universe, so get on my level, user.

>what of their life
their lives are their lives. Their death signifies the end (unless they get resurrected or something) and that brings along with it immaculate catharsis. You wish they were still alive, but there's nothing you can do, and such is the state of existence. The feeling of longing will remain inside your heart, just as their actions have.

If I want catharsis I load up Virtual Buddy and hit the buddy with hammers and stuff for a few hours. Same with the general public. They don't want death, sadness and tears. They want life, laughs, an escape from the inequities of this cruel reality! And to spit on the innate desires of your readers is just needlessly cruel and not to mention self indulgent. It takes more effort to write a character the audience loves and wants to live, than one the audience loves but wants to die.

No one wants the person to die, that's the point.

>Virtual buddy
Real catharsis is burnout 3 - takedown

So if they don't want him dead, why make him dead? Do you really wish to act as a wantonly cruel and selfish God in your realm of literature?

you just played yourself

>why make your reader feel emotions?

but but but what about the Iliad? or any of the Greek tragedies? or the trial of Socrates?

You underestimate the reader if you think you can just blindly lead them to an emotional state like human cattle.

what do you think fiction is user?

Well, in my case I would tell you but I keep the lore of my books to myself.

>Why make him dead
I told ya, user. It's in But yes, SOMETIMES we have to, man. It's all about emotions.