Papa Hemingway Appreciation Thread

>started hunting at three years old
>awarded the Silver Medal of Valor from the Italians in WW1
>participated in Spanish Civil War and WW2
>4 wives
>survived 2 plane crashes
>only thing that could kill him was himself

Attached: hemingway-hunting-field.jpg (2400x1600, 578K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Nsv63C9tDJE
youtube.com/watch?v=TGZNE5VWBjk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Attached: hemingway.png (1859x781, 365K)

I just finished reading To Have and Have Not, part of my tradition to read a Hemingway work every Spring/Summer. It obviously is a minor work that doesn't touch the greatness of his earlier efforts but there is some great prose in the last third of the book.

>ywn shove a pie in Hemingway's face
why live

>Participated in the SCW on the side of the filthy communists
nah he was a cucklord

>4 wives
Masha'allah

Attached: 1b9.jpg (640x539, 44K)

holy fuck, I'm dying. thank you to the author and the user's whove reposted it up to this point

>That’s it. Callaghan has remembered, and has proceeded to stretch it out. As literature, it’s a mistake. Financially, Fitzgerald’s advice might still prove wise. The author now has a book instead of a story; the value of a movie sale is increased. The story about Hemingway, Fitzgerald, and Callaghan done by John Huston, produced by Sam Spiegel, could make a very good movie. For the first time one has the confidence that an eyewitness has been able to cut a bonafide trail through the charm, the mystery, and the curious perversity of Hemingway’s personality. One gets a good intimation of what was very bad in the man, and the portrait is reinforced by the fact that Callaghan was not out to damage the reputation—on the contrary, he is nearly obsessed by the presence of taint in a man he considers great.

>In turn, Fitzgerald is also admired. In fact he is even loved as a friend, loved perhaps more than Hemingway. Yet Callaghan fixes his character for our attention. Like many an American writer to come after him, Fitzgerald was one of those men who do not give up early on the search to acquire more manhood for themselves. His method was to admire men who were strong. In this sense he was a salesman. When the beloved object did not smile back, Fitzgerald, like Willy Loman, looked into an earthquake. We are offered Fitzgerald at just such a moment.

>Talking to Callaghan one day, Fitzgerald referred to Hemingway’s ability as a boxer, and remarked that while Hemingway was probably not good enough to be heavyweight champion of the world, he was undoubtedly as good as Young Stribling, the light-heavyweight champion. “Look, Scott,” said Callaghan, “Ernest is an amateur. I’m an amateur. All this talk is ridiculous.” Unconvinced, Fitzgerald asked to come along to the gym at the American Club and watch Hemingway and Callaghan box. But Callaghan has let the reader in earlier on one small point. Hemingway, four inches taller and forty pounds heavier than Callaghan, “may have thought about boxing, dreamed about it, consorted with old fighters and hung around gyms,” but Callaghan “had done more actual boxing with men who could box a little and weren’t just taking exercise or fooling around.”
1/2

So on an historic afternoon in June in Paris in 1929, Hemingway and Callaghan boxed a few rounds with Fitzgerald serving as timekeeper. The second round went on for a long time. Both men began to get tired, Hemingway got careless. Callaghan caught him a good punch and dropped Hemingway on his back. At the next instant Fitzgerald cried out, “Oh, my God! I let the round go four minutes.”

“All right, Scott,” Ernest said. “If you want to see me getting the shit knocked out of me, just say so. Only don’t say you made a mistake.”

According to Callaghan’s estimate, Scott never recovered from that moment. One believes it. Four months later, a cruel and wildly inaccurate story about this episode appeared in the Herald Tribune book section. It was followed by a cable sent collect by Fitzgerald at Hemingway’s insistence. “HAVE SEEN STORY IN HERALD TRIBUNE. ERNEST AND I AWAIT YOUR CORRECTION. SCOTT FITZGERALD.”

Since Callaghan had already written such a letter to the paper, none of the three men could ever forgive each other.

As the vignettes, the memoirs, and the biographies of Hemingway proliferate, Callaghan’s summer in Paris may take on an importance beyond its literary merit, for it offers a fine clue to the logic of Hemingway’s mind, and tempts one to make the prediction that there will be no definitive biography of Hemingway until the nature of his personal torture is better comprehended. It is possible Hemingway lived every day of his life in the style of the suicide. What a great dread is that. It is the dread which sits in the silences of his short declarative sentences. At any instant, by any failure in magic, by a mean defeat, or by a moment of cowardice, Hemingway could be thrust back again into the agonizing demands of his courage. For the life of his talent must have depended on living in a psychic terrain where one must either be brave beyond one’s limit, or sicken closer into a bad illness, or, indeed, by the ultimate logic of the suicide, must advance the hour in which one would make another reconnaissance into one’s death.
2/3

That may be why Hemingway turned in such fury on Fitzgerald. To be knocked down by a smaller man could only imprison him further into the dread he was forever trying to avoid. Each time his physical vanity suffered a defeat, he would be forced to embark on a new existential gamble with his life. So he would naturally think of Fitzgerald’s little error as an act of treachery, for the result of that extra minute in the second round could only be a new bout of anxiety which would drive his instinct into ever more dangerous situations. Most men find their profoundest passion in looking for a way to escape their private and secret torture. It is not likely that Hemingway was a brave man who sought danger for the sake of the sensations it provided him. What is more likely the truth of his long odyssey is that he struggled with his cowardice and against a secret lust to suicide all of his life, that his inner landscape was a nightmare, and he spent his nights wrestling with the gods. It may even be that the final judgment on his work may come to the notion that what he failed to do was tragic, but what he accomplished was heroic, for it is possible he carried a weight of anxiety within him from day to day which would have suffocated any man smaller than himself. There are two kinds of brave men. Those who are brave by the grace of nature, and those who are brave by an act of will. It is the merit of Callaghan’s long anecdote that the second condition is suggested to be Hemingway’s own.
3/3

I really hope this is a legitimate story because this is funny as fuck.

I feel sad when I think of Hemingway. He's the only American writer I fully respect, but it seems his reputation is slipping and going down the drain every day. Fuck, man.

god DAMMIT

Attached: 848A4EE0-43B8-4EC6-85D6-B8C955F2AD5C.jpg (960x959, 52K)

Oh c'mon. I had as much to do with fighting the world wars as hemmmmingway.

He is too subtle for this hamfisted age

You know he was an ambulance driver in WW1 and was wounded?

Hemingway books I’ve read:
The Sun Also Rises
A Farewell to Arms
For Whom the Bell Tolls
The Old Man and the Sea
Many of his short stories as well
Stuff I’d like to read:
For Whom the Bell Tolls again
A Moveable Feast
Death in the Afternoon
All his Nick Adams stories

His best short stories still stand the test of time.
His macho posturing doesn’t sit well with the feminists and trannies but who gives a fuck about them?

the allies were on the side of the communists

>ambulance driver
what happened? did his pussy become inflamed?

Attached: giphy.gif (186x266, 373K)

Where is this from? Hemingway was never suicidal until he actually was and then he killed himself. He loved life.

He was only suicidal because of his failing health period

youtube.com/watch?v=Nsv63C9tDJE

>live a shitload of your life in spain
>write tons of books set in spanish speaking world
>can barely speak the easiest language on the planet

sad!

youtube.com/watch?v=TGZNE5VWBjk

He was massively insecure and fought depression his whole life. I suggest you read his Nick Adams stories and familiarize himself with his life.

I have a copy of Men Without Women. I started reading it a few years ago but gave up after a few pages because I have no interest in Sp*ñoids, will try again at some point.

Little right-wing faggot

>
On the night of July 8, 1918, Hemingway was struck by an Austrian mortar shell while handing out chocolate to Italian soldiers in a dugout. The blow knocked him unconscious and buried him in the earth of the dugout; fragments of shell entered his right foot and his knee and struck his thighs, scalp and hand. Two Italian soldiers standing between Hemingway and the shell’s point of impact were not so lucky, however: one was killed instantly and another had both his legs blown off and died soon afterwards. Hemingway’s friend Ted Brumbach, who visited him in the hospital, wrote to Hemingway’s parents that: A third Italian was badly wounded and this one Ernest, after he had regained consciousness, picked up on his back and carried to the first aid dugout. He says he did not remember how he got there, nor that he carried the man, until the next day, when an Italian officer told him all about it and said that it had been voted to give him a valor medal for the act. As Brumbach reported, Hemingway was awarded an Italian medal of valor, the Croce de Guerra, for his service. As he wrote in his own letter home after the incident: Everything is fine and I am very comfortable and one of the best surgeons in Milan is looking after my wounds.

Yeah what a coward huh? Blown the fuck up and he carried a dude on his back to safety.