The contents of every philosophy book can be explained in a handful of sentences

>the contents of every philosophy book can be explained in a handful of sentences
in light of this, how do philosofags justify wasting time reading 500+ pages of repetetive, tautological drivel?

I have literally been able to hold my own while discussing various philosophers after just skimming a wikipedia page or two against people who "studied" philosophy for years at college or as autodidacts

Attached: tumblr_pmknbc7UUg1ue4t01_1280.jpg (960x1280, 213K)

because they mistake convolution for intelligence

I feel this way about a lot of non fiction books. It's really irritating how they pad them out without really saying anything useful.

For one, a lot of philosophical works address counter arguments to whatever is being proposed.

I'm a philosophy student and I can stand by the idea that most philosophy BA's know very little about philosophy, probably because of how underfunded philosophy is at most universities. Even still, I'm sure that you wouldn't be able to hold your own arguing against a doctoral student with a focus in Kantian ethics after hitting up the "categorical imperative" wiki page

You don't seem to get the point of philosophy. Wisdom is not contained in "ideas", every retard on God's green earth can sit in a shower and come up with "ideas". The point of philosophy is the rigour in which these ideas are presented, that rigour IS philosophy. If you don't like it and just want to grab a handful of ideas to flaunt around, the 'Shorthand History of Philosophy by Dick McJew' type of books exist for you, and so do the School of Life style youtube channels, but don't be deluded that you've done any actual philosophical work.

>I have literally been able to hold my own while discussing various philosophers after just skimming a wikipedia page or two against people who "studied" philosophy for years at college or as autodidacts
God, I wish I could have witnessed those discussions. Just imagine.

I promise you that you barely have an understanding of anything after just reading a short summary. It's arrogance like that which perpetuates the pseudo-intellectual scourge on this board and elsewhere

You're reading pop-sci not actual academic texts. Pick up a non-fiction from a University press and suddenly you will have to start supplementing the text just to understand it.

this guy, philosophers have to fight their whole lives defending their original ideas from critics

>been able to hold my own while discussing various philosophers after just skimming a wikipedia page
I imagine you like those creationist people who debate biology professors and think they won in the end because they misunderstood the most basic concepts.

cute arm, are you a girl or a boy, maybe one pretending to be the other? nice either way

That's if your goal is the most plain, dry, fruitless read of a philosopher.
By reading secondary literature or worst wikipedia not only you won't fully understand the author and his thought process but you will deprive yourself of any insight into your own mind and of any original reading/interpretation.
Nothing will ever come out of this.

>Fossil watch
Buy a real watch and we'll talk.

Aaaaand, I'll go back to /fa

This is so true. It is very hard to find a middle ground. But when you do find these magical books you will begin to love yourself.

Underage

Job security; they must strive to prove to the hoi polloi that they are not all just worthless charlatans who get paid to contribute nothing of substance to society at large.

Explain further.

The most useful ideas are self-evident.

Fuck off reddit

He probably means that regurgitating what you read as if you understand it is pseudery. I'd argue that most people do that anyway, especially philosophy students

brainlets in this thread baka

>I promise you that you barely have an understanding of anything after just reading a short summary
Do I really need to read Capital to understand the labor theory of value? Obviously mindlessly repeating information is retarded. OP is making a completely different point.

>implying knowing the philosophy contents of a book just because you can hold discussions of philosophers
your most likely the one guy in any discussion that everyone subconsciously knows that you have no idea what your talking about. This is not even a attack berating you, I have run into so many people like you that "poking a sword into a fire" would be kinda useless you know?

Attached: 9A2E5764-83E9-417C-B0E1-26783CFFC8A3.jpg (748x742, 122K)

O no... 0 results on Tineye

:p

not me mate