Is this a good introduction to norse mythology?

Is this a good introduction to norse mythology?

Attached: norsemythology.jpg (183x276, 15K)

Ha, gayman

Well memed my friend ;)

why even give a shit about the norse?

Yes, it is. It helps when you imagine Chris Hemsworth as Thor.

Attached: Thor.jpg (834x464, 40K)

Lol no why would you even fucking think that you utter mainstream plebbit tier autist I would nail you on a fucking cross if I were you honestly you couldn't of picked a worse choice you absolute RETARD... you know what fuck you, you have insulted me by coming onto this board and even asking about this book let alone making a thread about it.

Honestly though some good books to start off in Norse Mythology would be.

Snorri Sturluson - The Prose Edda (translation by Anthony Faulkes).

This book was written by the famous Icelandic historian, poet, and politician Snorri Sturluson in the 13th century after seeing the necessity of remembering his ancestors religion after two centuries of Christianity. Faulkes translation is by far the best and is generally accepted by most as just that.

Snorri Sturluson - Heimskringla (translation by Alison Finlay and Anthony Faulkes).

The most famous of Saga's about a King. Again this is the best possible translation however it has been split into multiple 3 volumes.

Unknown - Poetic Edda (translation varies depending on what you want but I would say Lee M. Hollander for as much accuracy in English however some words are quite archaic. However if you want readability and do not care that much how accurate but still remains true to the story than go for Carolyne Larrington or Jackson Crawford).

Unknown - The Volsungs Saga (Translation by R. G. Finch).

My favourite of Sagas about the famed hero Siegfried Fafnisbane, his story is mentioned in both the Prose Edda and the Poetic Edda however it is quite short in the Prose Edda so nothing beats the complete story which inspired both Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen as well as Tolkien's the Lord of the Rings. There is a different version almost all over Europe with varying changes such as Nibelungenlied in Germany however the Icelandic is in my opinion the greatest and most documented. However I have not read any other versions so you may have to do your own research.

Attached: Tor's fight with the Giants -Marten Eskil Winge.jpg (610x900, 99K)

norse mythology is fake and gay
read the greeks instead, whether its the first or thousandth time

Ive read it. I always thought norse mythology would be full of wisdom, motivational ideas, glory, etc. But in fact in most myths the enemy is stronger than the protagonists, who end up using some sort of trick or deceit in order to defeat it. I don't understand why neopagans larp as having honour and being morally superior to "them" while their narratives are so amoral and shameful. Also Loki drives most of the plot. And the cosmology makes no sense. Very cringe stuff.

Forgot to say Op that the Poetic Edda is essentially the largest and oldest sauce for Norse mythology that we have. Snorri Sturluson partly drew information from it for the Poetic Edda however he has essentially translated it better than any one else has since the Icelandic language had not changed too far at that time. However Snorri's the poetic Edda has plenty of original sources and content in which Snorri got of practitioners and other sources which we have lost.

This book is literal autism user followAlso dream logic is quite apparent in it primarily because a fair bit of those story's would of originated in dreams either on shrooms or just asleep. There is still a huge chunk that has honour and parallels other religions more normally. And you know that dreams use symbols and archetypes to express something right user? Cause you have read Jung right user?

>believing anything jung said is valid
lmao

Maybe if you actually read him instead of some autist on Yea Forums talking about how Jung said little people live in our heads. You clearly show no understanding of Jungian psychology nor psychology for that matter. Lmao

why wouldn't social archetypes be hard wired within our unconscious? just as movements and instincts are? we evolved in social scenes

His just a brainlet user, he doesn't even know what an archetype is let alone any actual philosophy/psychology of an eternal will which gave birth to these intrinsic developed values named instinct and archetype.

>why wouldn't buzzwords be buzzworded within our buzzword? just as buzzwords and buzzwords are? we evolved in buzzwords
Lmao

everything is a buzzword. do you even understand Différance?

Why specify social?

I didn't read the book but I heard he actually grew up reading Marvel comics and was more into comic book Thor then actual mythological Thor
and it is noticeable

Attached: Screenshot 2019-04-16 at 21.36.10.png (1280x1154, 2.69M)

>wtf the Marvel capeshit movie about their superhero Thor isn't about nordic mythology

huh

What's the difference in character? I've loved Norse myths since a child but only ever read small amounts of Thor comics.

Yeah, kind of. It goes through most of the major stories. My main problem is that it's very clearly meant for children and it shows when Gaiman gets all cheeky and jokey. I think he's trying to emulate Tolkien's style from the Hobbit where he'd say shit like "Now I'm sure you don't think of gardening as an adventure, but this is a garden unlike any you've seen." Gets a little irritating.

As opposed to the original Thor being nearly retarded, Marvel Thor is just a little bit of an oaf. That and he spoke in Shakespearean english sometimes.

Thanks, man

Starting with the Edda isn't a very good idea unless you have an okay understanding of Norse mythology to begin with desu.

Start by reading a textbook on the subject, or at least read the Wikipedia pages thoroughly. The (poetic) Edda is pretty confusing to read, unless you are somewhat familiar with Norse mythology in general.

it's actually not bad

name me a more simultaneously fringe and well-preserved mythos of all the medieval world.

Welcome bro.

That's why I put the prose edda first, most people have a general idea of the Norse Gods and at very least someone looking to buy a book in it has browsed sites like Norse mythology for smart people for a little while.

Still though I agree if an user genuinely new nothing about Norse but it is unlikely, one could buy an encyclopedia of Norse names.

user I meant this greentext for you that was from>That's why I put the prose edda first, most people have a general idea of the Norse Gods and at very least someone looking to buy a book in it has browsed sites like Norse mythology for smart people for a little while.

>Still though I agree if an user genuinely new nothing about Norse but it is unlikely, one could buy an encyclopedia of Norse names.

Butterfly is thinking about me slamming my dick into her :3

user I did not mean to send this greentext to you fromI just meant to say welcome bro.

>That's why I put the prose edda first, most people have a general idea of the Norse Gods and at very least someone looking to buy a book in it has browsed sites like Norse mythology for smart people for a little while.

>Still though I agree if an user genuinely new nothing about Norse but it is unlikely, one could buy an encyclopedia of Norse names.

Dude what is with your fucking :3 posting over her?

He based
I read a book probably similar to that as my first norse mythology book: Gods and myths of northern Europe by Ellis Davidson. (justification: I'm Finnic myself and well versed in my own people's religion already) and it was absolute trash. Filled with moral fagging, projection and coping. Read the sources first so you don't get a wrong picture. I also find it funny how the author recognized the Christian bias in some of the sources but was totally blind to her own.

>He based

Thanks user, do you think I should make a chart?

Ohhh shit dw bout it ;3

norse mythology isn't "fringe"

Dude I'm sorry but just get a gf irl. She'll be way prettier than that dike and she'll be nicer, also you'll actually be able to interact and date.

Yes ofc. There isn't one yet afaik

Hey bruh dw bout us. She just masturbated to me okay? Or is right now or something idk

Kek well I think there would be considering Yea Forums's extreme love of charts but I'll make one anyway, if you don't see it in this thread then keep a look out for a Norse chart with the same translations.

>Hey bruh dw bout us. She just masturbated to me okay? Or is right now or something idk

Dude stop with the shitposting I have been watching you for a while now and I want you to be okay and find happiness.

Many of the mythological stories are autistic fanfics, especially the later ones, made for entertainment. The religion itself was not one homogenous entity like Christianity and it's not really reflected in the myths. Different places worshipped different dieties. Some were even rivals. Many beliefs and gods were local to a remote region, similarly to how it is Hindu and Shinto faiths, and isolated from the rest.
Basically the myths only tell about the structure of the world (Yggdrasil, land of the dead, Asgard) and family relations of the Gods, but not much else. The pagan religion is in the lives of the people who practice it, not written down. I'd say the sagas based on real accounts give a better picture than the mythology.

Scandinavia was fringe. They and finnish were some of the last barbarians of Europe at the time.

Nah, a good introduction is being born in Scandinavia and growing up listening to stories around a campfire. That is the best. Otherwise read Eddas

Unlikely. I read The Ocean at the End of the Lane. 5/10. Done with this author for life.

Just like OP

>fringe
you mean cringe right

You just might be one of those faggots whose first exposure to norse mythology was marvel comics.

nah it's just been tainted by overweight poorly bred edge lords on the Internet
I'm a contrarian, sorry

I have a signed copy that I got for birthday
is that bad Yea Forums?

Attached: IMG_20190417_024429080.jpg (1944x2592, 968K)

No but I mean it isn't the best version of Norse mythology however it does essentially the same.

>her
Oh no no no!

Oh I did tonight. Did you see the posts while she was masturbating? People were wondering if she was alright lol.

Time and time again you will learn to have faith in others! :3

Now THIS is the quality of autism I like to see. What are your thoughts on the Sagas? I've read a few, and I find they oscillate between hilarious and boring as hell with shocking speed.

>Time and time again you will learn to have faith in others! :3

I agree so have faith in me and get a gf irl.

>Now THIS is the quality of autism I like to see.

I try my best.

>What are your thoughts on the Sagas? I've read a few, and I find they oscillate between hilarious and boring as hell with shocking speed.

Haha well you'v most certainly captured the figure of a saga. I love the Saga's although they do of course have their dreary bits for it seems like the writers had a few key plot points in mind and just simply wrote some other smaller areas to fill in the gaps. However once we reach those certain plot points it is masterful in my opinion, a true tragedy and assertion of life. However there have been funny moments in them would you mind elaborating or giving examples for hilarious. I suppose it's like Don Quixote, some people find it absolutely hilarious while other find it a deeply sad and moving tale, I found it to be both.

>would you mind elaborating or giving examples for hilarious
Yeah, definitely! I think part of it is how far removed today's values are from those that are put forth (or appear to be) in the Sagas - often with respect to violence and masculinity, but not always. For instance, I genuinely laughed out loud when reading Egil's Saga and he kept slamming back the alcohol at whoever's feast. And I also always love the complete shifts from animosity to friendship (e.g. Hrolf Kraki, when Bjarki goes up against the berserkers, talks shit, and then everyone's fine with it) because it seems like how I became friends with a couple guys whom I'm close to.

Ahh I understand, I can remember laughing a few times myself since you have just jogged my horrible memory. Unintended comedy can often be the more funny then intentional for it doesn't have that falseness about it or attempt to be comedic but simply is as apart of its internal theme.

Attached: grthe565ety.jpg (600x614, 37K)

You'll understand eventually if you ever join the Yea Forums covenant.

The :3 poster is one of the most pathetic things I’ve ever read on here. Whether it be a shitpost or miserable truth, both options point to a truly broken and misguided man.

Attached: 28EF9822-EACA-46C6-8184-2EE81436F575.png (338x365, 121K)

>Maybe he's just a master shitposter planning years in ahead? Pic unrelated I just like the Witcher.

Attached: Dandellion.png (200x390, 154K)

Have you seen his other posts? Too cringey / attention seeking to be any form of mastery at hand. Unless of course he wants the title of master of the retards.

Maybe he wants the title of cringiest autist? At least it's a title by means of shitpost if it's true. However most likely his just a sad little man that never felt the embrace of a women and likely never shall and so has resorted to butterfly as "would date him if she could" to excuse his insecurity.

Attached: Aussie.png (364x313, 4K)

wrong pic user sorry.

Why the fuck did Odin keep him around, again?

Attached: Processed_SAM_loki.jpg (903x1125, 1.04M)

I dunno he likes him for some reason, he feels bad for him. Although I think I remember reading once that Odin keeps him for Wisdom of trickery and the knowledge of more dishonourable things.

I think you might be right there user, although sometimes I can’t decide what’s the most sad, being the :3 guy or using a trip code on an anonymous forum

Attached: 33CBF06F-BAE8-4087-BBC1-460AC81088FB.png (960x765, 594K)

No! Burn it if you ever get your hands on it. Some other autists have already suggested starting with Snorre Sturlassons writings, which isn't wrong, since most of our knowledge of Viking mythology comes from his writings. However as an introduction I would suggest pic related. And then, if you're still interested after realising how little we actually know about their beliefs, continue with the original scriptures mentioned in the book.

Attached: 61wMBpan29L._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (322x499, 49K)

It seems the saddest and most depraved of people have a way of finding each other, I suppose you could say they belong together. And kek that's a pretty funny picture user, saved.

>No! Burn it if you ever get your hands on it. Some other autists have already suggested starting with Snorre Sturlassons writings, which isn't wrong, since most of our knowledge of Viking mythology comes from his writings.

I'll take that as a complement user.

> And then, if you're still interested after realising how little we actually know about their beliefs, continue with the original scriptures mentioned in the book.

We don't know that much about it for a religion, that being in and of itself during the Viking period. However we can find out much more by looking at it's roots and origins as well as nearby variations of the same over all "Germanic" religions. We can also assume greater ideas from the smallest things based on psychology and logic. We do not know that much however we know more than most seem to think it's just most of the knowledge is excluded to university's and the "intellectual" realm so it's usually difficult for a normal average joe to really find out that much about it.

>dude faggots and niggers and strong women
no

I haven't read Op's book and never plan to based on how plebeian it is, so could you do me the courtesy of explaining how so

>dude faggots and niggers and strong women

are presented within it, someone mentioned earlier that the writer preferred comic book Thor and so changed religious Thor to suit his childhood preferences.