Did you guys like this? I really liked the characters...

Did you guys like this? I really liked the characters, especially Wednesday but really I kinda felt dragged along a little bit. I felt like I didn't know what the plot was until it was almost over and by that time, I was like "Shit yeah okay who was he? Yeah... Yeah I guess I remember him." I don't know if I'm expressing myself properly. It's my first Gaiman novel and I really want to love it but I just sort of mildly like it. Is it a good introduction to Gaiman? I'm thinking I'm gonna read Good Omens next and if I also don't love that then maybe he's just not for me.

Attached: 51Pb-OAREFL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (329x499, 29K)

Looks gay.

Lel

My teacher for a northern european myth class made us read this at the very end of the coarse for some reason. I just listen to an audio book of it while playing dark souls; I don't think I'd ever read anything like it on my own time. It has that Dean Coontz stank on it that reminds me of why I hate the majority of contemporary authorship (i.e. that scene with the woman eating a dude with her vagina) holy fuck that shit is just bad.

Aside from it being edgy netflix series level garbage, It wasn't like the book was all that bad, I felt like the begging was decent; but as soon as you got to the middle of the book it was just so all over the place with the dream sequences, the new characters, the moving around place to place, and all that shit, that I just couldn't care less how the book ended at that point.

I busted up laughing when Bilquis ate that dude. I listen to the audiobook and my coworkers were like "what's up with user?" I haven't seen the show yet because I refuse to watch adaptations before I read or listen to the book. I'm expecting it to be more exciting? I don't know my favorite parts of the book were Shadows down time in Lakeside and his death scene. I mean I did enjoy it and I don't think this is the case but it reads like Gaiman is coming up with the plot as he's writing it.

I said it before and I'll say it again in every thread I see this hack's name: Neil Gaiman is incapable of having an original thought.

When I was in my late teenage years I got into Gaiman and preferred the sequel, Anansi Boys, to this. I read it again recently and enjoyed it, it isn't high literature but it was a fun way to kill a day. The pacing is much better, and it doesn't meander as much as American Gods. I remember really liking Good Omens, but I haven't read it in years, so it may not be as good as I remember. Neverwhere is pretty dull and has the annoying "mundane guy finds secret world" thing I was already getting tired of back then, I wouldn't recommend it. It's a shame that Gaiman doesn't really step out of the fairytale stuff, he can write but he keeps rehashing the same kinds of ideas and throwing edgy sex scenes around that add nothing except to say "this isn't YA, it has a vagina in it!".

was okay for what it was. felt unfinished imo. I appreciated the depth of mythological reference, but the plot was less than solid

I watched like the first two episodes of the adaption after I was done reading it. I think it made the book better by comparison lmao

I'm just let down because as I said it's my first Gaiman novel and I really really wanted to love it. I mean it's good. Audible would let me exchange it but I don't want to because I'll probably listen to it again in a year or two but I wanted to love it.

Meander is the perfect word to describe my let down. Also I didn't know it had a sequel.

it's not extremely focused, but I really enjoy that. I read it while I was on a roadtrip around the U.S. so it was a good companion piece to that experience.

If you haven't already, his Sandman series is quite good and full of interesting stories.

I read Sandman first(imo Gaimans best work), so I had pretty big expectations. And like you said the characters were pretty good but the story was mediocre and the ending was just really bad. I found some of the stand-alone segments really interesting but not even close to Sandman

It's just okay. Nothing special or particularly memorable. The show is even worse.

Yeah... It makes me sad. The only thing I've ever experienced from him is the episode of Doctor Who which I loved. I was soooo ready to hop on Gaimans cock and adore this book but I just didn't.

why would you WANT to like gaiman? he's reddit-tier, you should be glad you're not a pleb
that said, i think american gods is fine, the part with shadow hanging from the tree is surprisingly good

Neverwhere was a solid, enjoyable book and I wish I could say the same about anything else he's written.

good omens is better

>Neil Gaiman is incapable of having an original thought.
>I'll say it again in every thread
ironing

i read it and seem to remember enjoying reading it but i can't remember a fucking thing about it

American God"s"? I thought we only had one??

Reddit is better than Yea Forums. Stay mad my boy. But shadow hanging from the tree and dying was my favorite part too.

Coraline is his best