“Decolonizing the Classics”

I'll be attending a public forum this week at my university about "decolonizing Search", which is the nickname for HUM101-102 which covers mostly ancient and medieval western literature. It begins at Gilgamesh and ends with Dante, hitting the big literature.
Since the canon of western literature is predominantly white and male, they want to "decolonize it" and "diversify canon by expanding our definition of good" (not joking, this is actually what it says) and include more "diverse" voices.
How can I respond to this and defend the current canon of Western literature that will convince a primarily leftist crowd of students?

Attached: 7AC6A5C1-A951-4D77-B2F3-54A412BD2FB3.jpg (266x190, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencemag.org/news/2017/08/greeks-really-do-have-near-mythical-origins-ancient-dna-reveals
decolonizethisplace.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boat_shoe
youtu.be/WNndxz7jKF4
youtu.be/lcJZCVemn-4?t=2695
bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/41763158/trolled-for-asking-for-more-writers-of-colour-at-cambridge
i-d.vice.com/en_uk/article/pa3aqb/feminist-killjoy-lola-olufemi-decolonise-cambridge-university
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you had read the canon you would be able to mount your own arguments.

I already have several; I am simply seeing if others have an opinion.
Pic related is the poster for the event

Attached: EB37E8F2-056C-4915-ADBC-200307AB7FAB.png (787x1050, 1.4M)

You're trying to defend that it should be white and male? Whatevs, your opinion. I'd say that current Western literature written by non-white-and-male authors (proper pronouns here gais) just doesn't measure up quality-wise to literature that is accepted as high-quality. You can say that this is due to a number of factors that probably aren't fair--like these minorities don't have access to the same education, mentorship, downright discrimination, or whatever it takes to write high-quality literature, but ultimately that's not your fucking problem and you just want to read gud bookz. End your speech with you think more education outreach should be done to these minorities to help them get up to snuff, but ultimately their books still suck and we shouldn't rank them with everyone else just because we feel bad for their vaginas.

(I have a vagina btw I can say these things)

Hope that helps. I don't agree with it at all but hey lawyers don't agree with a lot of the cases they're forced to defend so meh.

greeks aren't white

Why would you want to? Maybe they have a point.

Albanians are white Italians are white why aren't greeks?

>I have a vagina btw
Tits or GTFO

Attached: 3TY3Aya.png (1254x261, 100K)

The course is focused on foundational western literature. It’s difficult to find anyone who isn’t “white” (which already is a flexible and imperfect definition for the ancient world, since the modern concept of “race” didn’t exist). The course already includes Islamic and some female authors that survive. I’m not sure how you could diversify an ancient western canon, pre-Dante, anymore, much less in a way that includes excellent literature.
They probably just want to force people to read later reinterpretations of classical materials from a modern “woke” perspective

they're not reading the greeks though, they're reading colonized wh*te versions of the so-called "classics".

My main point was to point out the imperfect definition of “white”. Yes, they are mostly white men by today’s standards. But the perspectives already presented in the course are highly diverse. The Sumerian epics, to Herodotus, to Livy, and Dante are separated by hundreds/thousands of years, in extremely different societies and historical contexts. Just because they are “white men” doesn’t mean that they don’t present diverse perspectives.
Again, they most likely want to force critical-theory-based interpretation of the material. Fine, but that’s for a separate course, not a foundational introduction to literature.
My kindest proposal I’ve thought of is to offer a third track (there’s a second track available that does topics, woke shit like BLM and the Bible) that does this very thing, examining “silenced voices”. It would still be bullshit in my opinion, but at least the option would be there. Doubt many would take it.

Is it about interrogating and excluding white male writers from the cannon, or adding POC writers? Both?
I don't know if you need to be worried, as long as classic white male works can stand up to scrutiny, which I think a lot of them should... some not, but you know, what we value in literature reflects the values of our culture, and if we're moving towards a more diverse culture, it would make sense for our literature to follow. And it's not like books are going to disappear, as long as some people are still reading and saving them. University is a good place for people to be introduced to books they haven't heard of, and most people have heard of the classics and can access them without going to college (although college lectures help a lot with comprehension and depth of engagement).
Curious what else they're planning to add...

tldr; I think there's room for both classics and POC authors to be taught, as long as there professors interested in teaching it and students interested in studying it.

>In addition the following are some of the important works from other cultures that have influenced the West: Gilgamesh (c. 2100 BC), Mahabharata (c. 800 BC), One Thousand and One Nights (c. 7th century AD), The Tale of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu (c. 973 or 978 – c. 1014 or 1031), and Dream of the Red Chamber by Cao Xueqin (1715 or 1724 – 1763 or 1764).[8] [9][10]

Maybe they will talk about works like these?

dicks or GTFO. I'll make the entire internet suffer your tiny wang first :P

just say that they are oversocialized faggots full of ressentiment
god I love not being a minority, life would be so miserable

oh that's fair enough then i think. i hate those.

It seems more concerned with “breaking down colonial attitudes” and forcing a “diverse set of voices” than still studying the texts. As in, the traditional texts won’t be studied in a fair environment that opens debate to everyone on them. It’s more concerned with “breaking down” the classics. It reeks of butthurt that the western canon is populated mostly by men

>Fine, but that’s for a separate course, not a foundational introduction to literature.

This is your argument then. Argue that it's superfluous to foundational literature, and that first a solid understanding of general material should be established before tackling topics of diversity--because if a solid foundation isn't established they won't be able to understand diversity topics anyway. So I'd argue that though it's not perfect, it's necessary, and if they want to throw in something just for vaginas sake then throw in the most highly respected work for variety's sake, but leave controversy to higher courses. (??)

That's not how it works, child.

>child
Well then you can't have tits anyway it violates the golden rule!

>decolonizing shit written before colonialism existed
Good grief!
>It begins at Gilgamesh and ends with Dante
That's good, though. Milton was the true end, however, or Blake

>It violates the golden rule
The Golden Rule is the principle of treating others as one's self would wish to be treated. I thought only /pol/ had to suffer brain dead discord trannies.

Oh nononono Bloom warned us about this in the last chapter of The Western Canon. Can't believe it's happening. Revisionism leads to cultural genocide.

Redpill them on the Jews

Attached: rat.jpg (1080x1357, 171K)

You don't need to change the definition of "good," but if you want to diversify you should change the definition of the "west" or even get rid of the concept of the west altogether.

You say the course begins with Gilgamesh. Why doesn't it include The Arabian Nights, the Quran, Rumi's Masnavi, The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, or The Conference of the Birds? Islam is an Abrahamic religion supposedly because the people are descended from whoever Abraham was. Muslim literature more or less disappeared from our consciousness arbitrarily because of butthurt over the crusades.

When it comes to African and Native American literature, we simply lack access in most cases to oral traditions dating back to the times that class seems to cover.

And if you want to destroy the notion of "eastern" and "western" there is a host of Asian literature to draw on, including women like Murasaki Shikibu.

But I suspect you don't care about any of this because you're a brainwashed /pol/tard who gets a boner every time you hear the word "nigger."

They’ll probably justify by saying
>the perspectives that these texts present are problematic for a modern diverse society, as they were primarily discussed and interpreted throughout history by a privileged white male class
Or something like that. Even if that is true, you don’t have to interpret them that way! The whole point of the class is to read the texts themselves and find values in them. There’s always some philological problems of interpretation and translation, but those can largely be ignored in this context

Good luck finding good Negro literature, you colossal fucking retards lmao

The Greeks were colonizers
>tfw no literature from sicels, sicanti or elymians

The course already covers Islamic literature. They could include Asian literature. My concern is that this will short-shrift much of the amazing literature we already cover in favor of “diversifying the canon”. Those texts should be reserved for a class on regional literature, perhaps a third course.
The west is a problematic (I hate this word but it fits here) definition. I think however in this context we can limit it to Europe, the Mediterranean, and the near East, as these groups has sustained contact with each other for thousands of years.
Also nice ad hominems

You shouldn't sign up for or go to lectures if you're not going there to learn.

They unironically think niggers have writers as good as:
>Cervantes
>Dante
>Tolstoy
>Shakespeare
>etc
Just waiting to be "discovered" lmao

It’s weird how they’re consistently described with white phenotypes in The Iliad and Odyssey.

I mean modern Greeks aren't white (they are turks)

It's a public forum, not a lecture.

False
sciencemag.org/news/2017/08/greeks-really-do-have-near-mythical-origins-ancient-dna-reveals

>they are turks

>Now, ancient DNA suggests that living Greeks are indeed the descendants of Mycenaeans, with only a small proportion of DNA from later migrations to Greece

they had no regular word in their colour vocabulary for themselves

Blonde and yellow and blue and grey are used to describe their hair and eyes

none of these are.

Yeah, in european translations.
I wonder why.

Golden is pretty unambiguous

Be sure to mention Russian Yea Forums when denouncing the lack of decent black writers throughout history. Seems like Islamic stuff is well represented based on the thread but yeah just use nietzsche will to power = good things and good lit comes from good things therefore we shouldn’t judge the quality of a book based on the skin color that’s what Hitler and the collectivists do

You could stress the importance of the individual over collective and that the emergence of the individual happened due to the West and anthropomorphic mythological traditions and the oral traditions of negroes and Egyptians are all null because they didn’t adapt because their Gods were dissociated from the self image they projected onto it

If there’s no Indian source to your class however that ought to change, plenty of great Indian stuff

specific people, never in general. would they call him menelaus the yellow-haired, if the majority were blond?

You can't convince anyone of anything. They have already decided what they believe. They are not attending the conference in order to consider views different then their own.

>Reading Homer in translation
Disappointing Yea Forums

Homer wasn't even white, probably. He could have been from the Greek colony in Anatolia.

I would argue that many of the classics themselves long predate modern conceptions of race and nationality. Greek traditions like the Iliad and Herodotus' Histories make no reference at any stage to race because that's not how people of that time period understood the world - rather they understood human societies and cultures on a purely tribal level. As a result of this, many books of the Western canon show an arguably more enlightened approach to race than modern works.

For example - Memnon in the Illiad leads an army of Ethiopians to Troy's defense and is depicted as almost the equal to Achilles, drawing the attention of the Greek gods themselves. His death is treated in full depiction as tragedy and at no point do any modern conceptions of race enter into the discussion because it's not a concept the Greeks recognized.

I would also make the argument that some people mention above - that calling the Western canon "White and male" is to vastly and overwhelmingly oversimplify just how many different and diverse human cultures are represented by the canon.

>he thinks professors aren't aware of this
Yare yare

Homer wasn't even one person. "The Iliad" was not intended to be a written work. Most translations bear little resemblance to Ἰλιάς.

whats actually wrong with this proposition? It is patently clear that the disproportionate representation of white men in the western canon is due to the patriarchal and Eurocentric social structures of our past. I know that shitlords on this board unironically believe that "women and niggers can't write", but would you really be so obtuse as to proclaim that the oppressive attitudes in the west contributed nothing to the preponderance of white men in the canon? Not only were women discouraged legally from educating themselves, culturally they were expected to be reserved and indecisive on "serious matters"; generally men's ideas were held in higher regard. It's no surprise, then, that so few women wrote classics in philosophy and literature.
Honestly I see nothing wrong with this at all, as long as the books they choose are worthy of being integrated into the canon then to me this represents a positive change.

he was, he was ionian.

Based and realitypilled. Schizoids and hicks will argue with this.

>as long as the books they choose are worthy of being integrated into the canon then to me this represents a positive change.
They won't be good. They want to reevaluate what counts as "good" so they can add their garbage. "Oh this shit book by some nigger? Yea just as good as The Divine Comedy!"

>give me arguments
White fragility at its finest: "I don't have a reason to believe this is a bad thing it just hurts my feelings! Why can't white men stay in power?"

That's quite the crystal ball you have there. I'm sure you've got an excellent education in comparative literature as well, to be able to use it so insightfully.

This comment doesn't make any sense. Of course The West is West-centric, why should it be Negro-centric or Oriental-centric? The shit you faggots say sometimes.

homer was one person who (we'll say) wrote a short draft of the iliad which his ancestors (the homeridae) enlarged to twenty four books.
>"The Iliad" was not intended to be a written work. Most translations bear little resemblance to Ἰλιάς.
not sure what you're getting at here. everyone already knows that & it's not really relevant to the discussion is it?

Wow a European construct is focused primarily on European writers and the European diaspora, how could this be.

Firstly, it's telling that you jump straight to "woman and niggers" since even a moments thought should have allowed you to come to the realization that literature was well outside the scope of the vast, vast majority of white men. It was only accessibly to a tiny elite portion of the population - there are actually some examples of books written by rich women and plenty written by non-white cultures but zero books written by poor men. Seeing everything solely through racial and gender grounds is myopic and stupid.

Secondly, I doubt there are very many fit to be included in the canon - comparatively few books survive history. Of the books that get written a tiny fraction of a fraction are fit to be included in the western canon. Seeking books that are also a tiny fraction of that already tiny fraction fraction because they were written by the tiny population of cultural minorities who would ever be in a position to write a book is pretty much impossible.

Why wouldn't you study oriental or African writing if it's of excellent quality and adds to your education? You're just saying "don't study that because it's not western."

Because "the West" is a spook term used by stormfags to justify their bigotry.

It's not a crystal ball. Tell me what non-European, non-American, non-Latin American works would you add to the Western canon to enrich it instead of making it poorer? I'll wait.

JUST MAKE MORE CANONS, I know everyone wants to nuzzle their way into the west but come on

there have been black people in the west for a long time

Come on man be charitable. I doubt anyone there is seriously considering lowering the standards so there can be more representation of blacks and women. Reevaluating how to evaluate literature can mean a ton of different things.

I would say "how dare you attempt to erase and apply revisionist principles to my culture" - and say why don't we look at non-European, non-Christian cultures in the same light, and interject ourselves in them.
Stand tall, user, this is an act of genocide.

Just give them "diverse" classics from not where they don't want them from.

Like Asia, it has respectable classic literature

I didn't say that. You created a straw man. The Western Canon is about, who would've thought, Western works. You're free to read whatever the fuck they want.
False. Plenty of people including writers like Roberto Bolaño or Harold Bloom believe in the idea of a Western Canon.

When people say Eurocentric they generally mean centred on white Europeans. Blacks and women are also part of the west.

Sumerians, Greeks, Romans, Hittites, etc.... weren't "White" to begin with.

The sooner we deconstruct this euro-centric whitewashing that ancient peoples that lived in the near-east were lily-white, the better.

Exactly. The fucking Bible is considered a part of the canon when Jesus and his followers were Arab-looking Jews.

They weren't brown either.

Decolonisation is legitimate.

You know all these great works (the western canon) was an anglo meme to divert German literally dominance to its Isles.
Before 1900 more people were reading Ariosto than Shakespear.

Too bad it's being hijacked by the identitarians and sjws

Virginia Woolf, George Eliot, Jane Austen, and many other women are part of the Western Canon so I'm not sure what's the complaint here. And Blacks living in the West have only until recently publish their stuff. Do you really think Blacks wrote literature worth adding to the canon in the 14th, 15th, 16, or 17th centuries? You're delusional.

Someone explain this to me

Why is Ibn Arabi (from Spain) eastern?
Yet plato (all his life in Asia minor area) western?

You know people in Pakistan were reading Plato before the Brits had even started living in settlements

Doing bullshir, perhaps, certainly not writing great literature.

Obviously not. That's why these decolonisation meetings werent happening in those centuries you mentioned. It's the 21st century now.

Yes they were.

Is there something to learn from classic middle East? They did run the fucking silk road and spice trade.

>decolonizing

Attached: 1554832568599.jpg (1773x1769, 290K)

Have you ever seen a course at college called "The Western Canon?" I haven't. It's about what you teach and require in various courses.

Also this. Just lmao at plebs who think The Greats is some immutable list agreed on by everyone for all time with no ideology attached.

Use your fucking head. It's part of the canon because the concept of the west was founded in the concept of Christendom. You can't have the West without having
>Hellenism
which lead to
>The culture of the Roman Empire
Which lead to
>the widespread Christianization of the European peoples

Is it related to this?
decolonizethisplace.org/

No, they weren't. Sorry.

Pic related is a quote from Aristotle. He and the GREEKS would not give two fucking shits about your Western Canon. We need to get rid of all these racist notions of the western canon and just READ GOOD LITERATURE.

Attached: Capture.png (448x363, 109K)

So what the fuck are you moaning about then.

kys, tits or gtfo

>Bring in the toa ti ching for 'decolinization' class.
>Get kicked out cause asians aren't brown enough.

If don't know who Mortimer Adler is, you shouldnt even be discussing this

>sumerians weren't brown
Come on now... Come on.. You gotta be kidding me

Attached: a.gif (523x472, 24K)

Nobody's moaning. People are making an effort to diversify the canon and OP is pissing himself about it while making the telling admission that he actually doesn't know why he's against it. By the way listing a bunch of female writers who are in the western canon doesn't somehow justify the overwhelming preponderance of men.

What other countries could rival the ancient GREEKS?

Is that supposed to prove anything or are you just trying to drag this on all night?

there must have been some writing. europe has had moorish kings. and there was women writers by the archaic greek era

Greeks
>1000 years under Byzantine rule (which encompassed Anatolia, Egypt and the middle East)
>600 years under ottoman rule

Greeks have never been western

Why would there be an equal amount of women writers when there wasn't even universal suffrage until the start of the last century?

This shit is just a fad anyway, if they can truly bring out good works to the light by muh pocs and weemen from antiquity than thats good either way. I wouldnt be bothered by it to much people will still care about the current canon for a long time

That's literally what my original post said. Because women were oppressed, they didn't get equal participation in the forming of the canon.

What do they have to do with anything?

Would it be equally just to go to a Chinese university and demand they "de-Sinofy" their curriculum?

Attached: 28685703_10215303749127830_5617470675185493132_n.jpg (938x960, 57K)

Why is that something that needs to be justified. You and people like you are why Notre Dame is burning right now, and I know you’re overjoyed with it.

You'd probably get a knock on the door faster than if you mentioned the tiawanese massacre of 1988

how about not taking the class, did you consider that?

>why does an academic argument need to be justified
People like you built notre dame. Doing all the menial labor, mind you, but somebody has to do those things.

So what's the problem?

They were brown and you know it

Not him but this sucked.

>I doubt anyone there is seriously considering lowering the standards so there can be more representation of blacks and women
I really want to believe you're just naive but you're probably a dishonest piece of shit

So why should there be more in the canon? Because of some what if scenario?

I would if I could

bitch

>influenced the West
OP already mentions one of those: Epic of Gilgamesh

You sound so sure yet can't seem to prove it.

Wow one

I know their ilk. They want their shitty crayon drawings to be taken seriously and compared to the Sistine Chapel just so they can boast about how muchof a SJW they are and how they changed the world. I hate those people.

The students OP is talking about are trying to remedy this effect by finding great works by women and blacks that can be integrated into the canon. They're trying to move towards what they believe is a positive reformation for the canon and jettison the exclusionary attitudes that have undoubtedly deprived us of many great works in the past. Clearly these kids value the canon and so shaking your head and acting as if they want to destroy western civilisation is pathetic.

Yes they were, cleetus. I'm sorry that you're a celto-germanic mayoskinned mutt trying to related himself to ancient people who lived in greece and looked like levantine arabs, but they weren't white. Cry.

>We need to get rid of all these racist notions of the western canon and just READ GOOD LITERATURE.
Guess who has the best literature lmao

Imagine typing cletus in 2011+8. Apeximum cringe dude

Don't see anything worthwhile posted right now but here. It's all a waste of time since the canon is organic and the works have earned their fame not so much because of the hubris of the writer, but the ideas touched on in them and reaction of its readership. They've surpassed the author's mortality into something valuable for humanity. The canon isn't something that can be modified but only added onto, it's also without limit and isn't a secret club by membership that have been anointed by high priests in academia. So it's a meaningless talk. Whatever is worthwhile from the past that hasn't received its due should absolutely be brought up. But if the only case made for the work in question is the author itself it won't find any long lasting significance but only be only a passing blip.

Okay, you go find it.

i could just go to this lecture

>cringe

How to spot a reddit reactionary 101. I'm sorry for calling you cleetus, i guess billy bob fits you better.

Where do they think they will find these?
I hope they do, but the fact is that the ancients didn't value diversity and inclusion like they do and most of the work written/preaerved was by the dominant citizenry of the state (which was essentially homogeneous)

>But if the only case made for the work in question is the author itself it won't find any long lasting significance but only be only a passing blip.
Sure but american education is an acknowledged disaster and selling these kids debt for some bullshit experiment in "blips" is bad isn't it?

You won't any good nigger literature from those centuries.

>he only uses Yea Forums
>he's some milquetoast newfag
>he is an actual redditor
>he tells people to go to reddit
cringe

Also
>reddit spacing
celestial cringe

>German dominance
>Example is an Italian
I'm convinced.

What the heck is the toa ti ching? Is it related to the wang sea?

Can someone go ahead and list some great works by non-Eurasian or non-male authors older than Dante? I'd be interested in seeing the suggestions.

Yes. Though contemporary work has value for exploring trending topics, once that moment is gone, the works that stay are the ones that are relevant outside of their cultural moment.

>The canon isn't something that can be modified but only added onto
They want to add onto it
>isn't a secret club by membership that have been anointed by high priests in academia
They're not saying that. I imagine their reasoning goes something like: if we bring more recognition to these great works they will, by virtue of their merit, become integrated into the canon and taught to everyone in schools.

Alright, let's deconstruct this 1 by 1, sweetie.

>he only uses Yea Forums

False, I also use /int/.

>he's some milquetoast newfag

Someone wanna explain this meme to me?

>he is an actual redditor

Projection.

>he tells people to go to reddit

I did not.

>reddit spacing

Buzzwords. It's fun typing like this to trigger stormweenie feefees ;).

Still waiting for you to prove ancient greeks were white. Even the Slavic rape babies who live in the modern greek penninsula will tell you they were browner 1000 years ago.

>Can someone go ahead and list some great works by non-Eurasian or non-male authors older than Dante? I'd be interested in seeing the suggestions.
Kayakawe Menewawe
Yanok Jawino
Zalomo Bogo
Jumalah Zoua Ceteleman

You're the one making the outlandish claim that people native to an area where everyone is brown weren't brown

>reddit spacing
kys you niggerlovin faggot

You can be gently brown and caucasian.

What atrocious reddit spacing jesus fucking christ kill yourself dude

Attached: 1547011311254.jpg (600x532, 42K)

The whole point is that it isn't something that can be decreed. So it's a fruitless talk.

It's right there in the OP

Being outnumbered in a discussion doesn't mean it's not fair or open. I'm sure you could express your opinion and let them say what they will. You may not be the only person there thinking what you're thinking, and other people might take heart from you expressing what they're too cowed to. Just don't bulldoze over other people's objections. Be assertive, but kind.

>kys

Again with the reddit reactionary buzzwords.

>niggerlovin faggot

Absolutely seething.

Again, the ancient people who inhabited south eastern europe were brown skinned and looked like levantine semites. Cope, cleetus

Looks like the stormfaggot has called in his Discord incel server for backup. How sweet.

I'm not sure what you mean. Amazon? There are many great minority authors. Pic related for example

Attached: download.jpg (241x209, 7K)

>buzzwords
I would like to assume this us bait but its probably not

Attached: 8fe0821346ed40acc9f1981e51d60c86.png (420x420, 199K)

>I'll be attending a public forum this week at my university about "decolonizing Search", which is the nickname for HUM101-102 which covers mostly ancient and medieval western literature. It begins at Gilgamesh and ends with Dante, hitting the big literature.

>canon city is solely an academic assertion
Canon should be partially about the about the feelings of the people and how they relate to their literary past. It shouldn’t just be some academic’s attempt to force our artistic ideals in line with their political agenda.

You’re right that those workers were necessary to build such a great structure and such people are needed to build an artistic canon of any worth. The manner in which academia has insulated literature (even if it was necessary to protect it from the onslaught of popular culture delivered through mass, electronic media) has only degraded it.

> sperging out like a 12 year old /r/The_Donald reddit dipshit and calling people nigger loving fags and telling them to kill themsevles is definitely an argument with no buzzwords

>which covers mostly ancient and medieval western literature. It begins at Gilgamesh and ends with Dante
It's right in the OP.

Sorry my IP is blocked from AfricanGoogle.

Sure but recent enough to have a picture of them is probably too recent to make any claims about their worthiness of inclusion in the canon.

wow

the odyssey

Murasaki Shikibu, bitch.

That's the best you could come up with, cleetus? I expected more from you, with your trailer park GED.

So it's universaly agrred then; ancient romans and greeks were brown semite-like people before they were raped by cumskinned hordes of germanics and slavs. Case closed.

> you're a redditor!!
> you're a stormfag!!!
> you're a r/the_donald user!!!
Make up your mind dude

I'm just making fun of you for looking like a retard man. I don't really give a shit if we wuz greeks. You are really really gay. Your posting in general is awful. You stick out as an unseasonsed tryhard newfag, terribly. Are you by chance indian?

>> you're a redditor!!

>> you're a stormfag!!!

>> you're a r/the_donald user!!!

These are literally all synonomous with each other.

Let's not sit here and pretend goobergate the and 2016 elections didn't invite thousands of reactionary chuds from right-wing subreddits.

> hmm i know!

> i'll type "wow".

> ahahah sure showed him! newf*g BTFO!! CYBERBULLYING FTW!! CAN'T WAIT TO POST THIS TO /r4chan.

Actual cringe post. Just stop

wow

Attached: 876.jpg (512x288, 21K)

It sounds like they don't want to discredit or remove the existing canon, just expand it with works that were previously overlooked or ignored. Tbh I don't see the problem, user.

That's... not at all how the canon works.

do you actually think your 3-letter singers and a elmo reaction image are going to win you this argument?

Maybe that's how it works on /r/The_Donald, but here we actually have discussions.

*zingers.

please stop reddit spacing

Attached: 1342837143152.gif (200x204, 42K)

> hehe maybe if i post the desu anime girl, these fellow channers will think i'm one of them!!!

It's time to go back.

>reddit spacing
yikes

Attached: 1552361313289.jpg (706x674, 124K)

It seems like they can't see past skin color. Cervantes, Dante, Shakespeare are different voices, their own, and at the same time the same: the human voice. It shouldn't mattee where they come from. I'm a fucking Mexican and I like their works. So don't bring me this pathetic liberal SJW revisionist bullshit.

>yikes

nice reddit-speak.

Adding 'other' voices to the Western Canon is an inherently euro-centric approach to diversity and implies that other geographical areas and peoples are not important unless they can be fit into the Western view.
Decolonising would be actually studying these cultures on their own terms in their own context instead of giving them pity inclusion in their colonisers' curriculum.

Attached: DpfWi9SWkAEyKb2.jpg (900x1200, 140K)

Izumi Shikibu
Tale of genji
Water margin
Analects
I ching
Li Bai
Rubaiyat of Omar khayyam
Sappho

>no-u
>gaia spacing
>>>/2007/

Attached: NOU.jpg (640x454, 49K)

If they want to make a case that ngombo gimbos hunting and dysentary diary is actually important to the west let them. Its some retarded college kids that wont actually impact anything

You honestly don't belong here.

Ooga Booga

Exactly. Do a western course as well as a mandatory Chinese and middle eastern course. Let's not mix drinks.

Can you faggots fucking stop? No one gives a shit about your bickering. Legitimately swallow the bulletpill

It was bait, sweetie. Made up names lmao

What do these have to do with the west?

I bet you're nogunz

>gaia

aww, nice try newfag goobergator. just get done reading some random knowyourmeme page on Yea Forums/ lmao go back

Legitimately curious; how much is the GOP paying y'all for these posts?

>agrred
Universally so

I own a hk91

Nothing. user asked for nonwest or nonmale recs that predate dante

I'm Persian you dumb hick

The Tao Te Ching, also known by its pinyin romanization Dao De Jing, is a Chinese classic text traditionally credited to the 6th-century BC sage Laozi. The text's authorship, date of composition and date of compilation are debated

Girlvinyl is a way olderdyke than you
>he didn't even mention erectiledysfunction in his weak insult
you can do better. You also are missing the context entirely of the nou, and the time period. Please stop reddit spacing.

>Sorry my IP is blocked from AfricanGoogle
Niggers cant write for shit m8 I was memeing

Yes, ones that fall under the banner of western literature or are you so dense that you've missed the whole point of this entire thread.

>How can I respond to this and defend the current canon of Western literature that will convince a primarily leftist crowd of students?
so you're too lazy and clueless to even read secondary literature on the canon or at least try to come up with something by yourself? kek, no wonder the west is dying with such pathetic betas looking for public validation.

>goobergator
>cletus
is this performance art level b8 or what is even going on lmao

I honestly do pity you. What was it that made you like this?

Retard trying to troll

Why is this fat, white incel larping as a persians/?

Sorry sweetie, you can take your disgusting 18th century nazi psuedoscience racial theories about aryans, and shove them up your pimpely cracker ass. Bitch.

> buzzword buzzword buzzword and made up chan history

Actually yikes out loud.

Why are you a basement dwelling incel obsessed with whitewashing ancient incels?

Why can't you just have sex and live a normal life? And don't say da j00s.

Cool, that's one. I think there was a Byzantium princess too, a general's daughter? That'd be two. And one is even western.

Reading comprehension...
>non-eurasian or female
(Also analects is horrible)

But if it is a class about the west, is a fair point.

African Google isn't a thing.

A haha hahaha hahaha YES AHAHAHAHAHA you said it! LOL

post nose

>only fat whites care about the canon

Ahahaha truly an ebic post XD made under 9 layers of sarcasm and irony XD how epic.!

The_Donald

Post girlfriend....

Exactly.

> he's actually brown and a reactionary

The cognitive dissonance is strong with this one.

>if you care about the canon you're a reactionary
>you can't enjoy the canon if you're not white

Oh sorry read that as all one sentence.

Attached: Screenshot_20171115-184440.png (1080x1920, 336K)

Tractatus de mulieribus claris in bello (treatise on women famous in war) may have been written by a woman

Attached: 1502568289347.jpg (640x832, 181K)

> ebic strawman greentext

You've been brainwashed by pixelated infrographs from stormfront. Don't bother replying with more of your altright dogwhistles.

>post girlfriend
I'm married, here's the ring and my Yea Forums stamp. Post nose. Please stop reddit spacing.

Attached: 20190415_170508.jpg (1066x1383, 690K)

> fat

> white

> wearing crocs

> this picture was taken in a basement, most likely his mother's

Gonna be a big yikes from me, dawg

>he doesn't own a boat
sad

You say "if it's a class about the west" as if that solves the entire debate. As if the students weren't challenging that very boundary which is arbitrarily erected upon a tradition of exclusion.

I don't even what the stormfront is. I only care about protecting the canon from revisionist scum.

Should also meantion your corny-ass tribal tattoo lmfao..

Y'all white boys need to stop appropiating that shit, and leave those tats to brown people who live on pacific islands.

> he lives in a dirty cement basement and posts on Yea Forums all day

sadder.

A

H

A

Ha

Hah

Ha

HOW DOES HE DO IT

The samefagging is strong with this one.....

Bored or insecure?

Go back to /pol/ incel

involuntary celibate or you actually that much of a basement dwelling loser ?

It is more that most people who own nice boats wear nice boat shoes.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boat_shoe

You on the other hand are clearly a poor pleb who probably owns some shit tier fishing boat. Even worse, you probably think that having a handful of fancy toys like fishing boats makes you special or give you some comfort in your little consumer bubble.

Sure

Attached: Screenshot_20190415-171258_Photos.jpg (1074x781, 191K)

It only gets worse the more you post, god you are disgusting. Is everyone that posts here like this?

Literally a mobile home filled with dusty knick knacks from the 70s.

Nice camoflaouge crocs, fucking corny incel.

Projection much.

>more than one person can't disagree with me

So which is it?

Since this is Yea Forums, let's look at the meaning behind "tits or gtfo." You identified yourself as a femanon on an anonymous chat forum. In this case, it was to use ethos to support your point. In other cases, an user may identify themselves as a femanon for attention. In any case, identifying yourself on an anonymous chat forum for special treatment defeats the point of anonymity. That's why saying "femanon here" is an invitation for the reply "tits or gtfo." (Also because tits.) This doesn't imply that all anons are male, either, so your rebuttal "dicks or gtfo" is a fallacy. That user never identified as a man. They simply participated in a tradition reinforcing the social stigma Yea Forums has against using your vagina as a privilege. Consider it a tax for pulling the pussy card.

Attached: rules.jpg (1024x768, 152K)

> please understand that this very slow board is inhabiated by more than 1 basement dwelling incel larping as a persian to whitewash ancient history!!! im not the only one!

Noticed how you havent answered my question and only spam disgusting pictures of your mom's trailer....

>Literally a mobile home
Bahaha wack retardcel

Not going to bother reading the shitflinging itt but OP you must not attend this event. They do not anticipate any actual debate. Surely they only want to get together and stroke one another's egos about how ebil da white man is. If you go and openly oppose them you will be vilified and they will never forgive you. You will be labelled as a white supremacist and all those other buzzwords they've now got on short list. Learn to let things go and understand you cannot change the minds of those who are corrupted inside. I implore you, for your own good, do not engage with this sort of thing.

Oh no. You're not schiz are you user?

I spoke with my professor, who echoed my own thoughts on this; there’s nothing in African or minority cultures that parallels the influence of the Homeric epics, the Bible, or the Quran

What exactly are you protecting? A historically-corraled set of works that most people agree is good? Because the people you denigrate are simply saying, other works are good too--other works which have been overlooked by history. But you sit there and pretend these people are trying to introduce literary anarchy, so you can puff up your chest and come to the defense of a tradition that neither needs nor asked for your help. You are the literary equivalent of a white knight, and this is why you will never be taken seriously by any real cognoscenti.

Yeah a mobile home with a second floor >Is everyone that posts here like this?
No most posters here aren't burned out hippies who started using Yea Forums in 2006 and spent the better part of the last decade tripping and chasing guitar solos. I could only wish.

INCEL INCEL INCEL

OUT OUT OUT

I'm not even the Persian guy and there's 44 posters so far.

Which works have been overlooked?

God you people are boring and fucking predictable. Why not just take a slight interest in non-White authors, or is that too cognitively difficult? The canon will always exist, Jesus.

Why are you samefaggin so hard my dude?

PROJECTION PROJECTION PROJECTION

see above, samefagger

I'm the Persian guy, this nigger is fighting shadows.

This board is one of the worst at pseudo-intellectualism.

I do. Doesn't mean they're part of the canon.

Deranged, even if trolling. Get help. Nobody reply.

Holy shit guys, we've got an actual intellectual in here!

> /r/The_Donald newfag thinks replies are just like his ebic reddit upboats.

Go back.

This. Do a separate class on these texts, I don’t give a shit if they do. There should be some foundational literature class for Asian literature. Don’t try and inject it into an explicitly “western” class and thereby assert your notion of what is and isn’t western

>the retard above is monitoring the thread for any hint of attention
Sad really.

> newfag can"t even figure out how to reply correctly

sad. keep insulting thin air, dipshit incel

>What exactly are you protecting? A historically-corraled set of works that most people agree is good? Because the people you denigrate are simply saying, other works are good too--other works which have been overlooked by history.
Cool. But they don't belong in the Western canon. Tell me what would you allegedly add that wasn't already recognized.
>But you sit there and pretend these people are trying to introduce literary anarchy, so you can puff up your chest and come to the defense of a tradition that neither needs nor asked for your help.
They're revisionist scum. They are cancer.
>You are the literary equivalent of a white knight, and this is why you will never be taken seriously by any real cognoscenti.
No. These guys are the literary equivalent of a white knight, defending the "vulnerable", the "neglected", in their view.

based

It's not a western class, retard. HUM101 is a foundational course that all majors must take. These students have every right to demand the diversification of required reading.

I love you even though nobody else does.

>These students have every right to demand the diversification of required reading.
Why?

Repeating yourself is usually the sign that you're out of ideas. Stop posting any time

It is a tradition of geography. The scholastic system is western. Nobody was excluding information, there was little available (even translations were sparse). Not sure why a humanities class should even care about them now.

Such as? Most people aware of the western canon are also aware of China and India. So what else do you got?

Is this true? HUM 101 was a very ignored, slightly broadened classics department at my school.

The name of the course is Search for Values in Light of Western Civilization. So yes, it is a western literature course. We include texts that aren’t necessarily “western” but heavily interacted with or influenced the west, like the Sumerian epics or the Quran.
Time in the course is limited, so we examine the most influential texts in the ancient and medieval canon. Please point me to which influential text from an “underrepresented voices” had the same cultural impact as Homer, the Bible, or the Quran

I can only take so so much literature where the beauty of characters is equated to their paleness before I start to vomit a little. Beside the content being vapid, it's not good for my health.

Cringe. Grow up. "Look mom, a told someone online to kill themselves (comma) then show me their tits!"

Unoriginal meme is dumb and unoriginal.

>please point me to blah blah
You're missing the point and I will allow you to continue missing it

Show me a original ya dumb cunt you.

>I am unable to retort but cannot accept defeat.

Oops there goes the Asian lit too.

But nigger it true

Okay well you can feel free to leave or stick around and hope you don't get embroiled in some historical reaction of violence that sweeps the populace you so despise

Are you going to quit larping as a persian on Yea Forums and move out of your mother's trailer now?

Says the guy who watches white girls in porn.
Europeans are naturally beautiful and at least subconsciously you recognize this.

Paleness is a symbol of beauty in many cultures since it indicates that the person is of high status, and does not have to work under the sun.
See , Asians do the same thing

>are you going to quit live action roleplaying on the internet
>live action
>internet
retard alert

I'll give you one. Sappho invented and disseminated lyric poetry in the west, but yall motherfuckers slept on that one. And now 95% of her poetry is lost.

Your mind has been predisposed by eurocentric colonial beauty standards. Now will you move out of your mother's trailer?

> literally admitting to LARPING as a brown person to justify his reactionary pseudo-history

The course already does Sappho

I am Asian and you're talking out of your ass. Quit shilling our culture like you understand it just so you can make a point

What is the point of the canon? Explain it to a brainlet plz.

Also, plenty of white male authors’ works have been lost as well to time, not just women or “underrepresented people”

>same cultural impact as homer, bible, Quran
Ok, so even in including sappho you conveniently omit her from any discussion of canon, until your omission is pointed out to you

>plenty of wma have been lost as well
None as egregiously as sappho

>akshyually
cringe

>eurocentric
>reactionary
Wooo boy, we got ourselves a self proclaimed 4channel invader. Please be honest... did you come here from a Discord server?

If you hate colonialism so much, why are you colonizing our image board? Stop oppressing me desu

She should have got gud.
>Sappho
Sounds masculine to me. In fact I posit "she" was a collection of lame male dwarves.

Today, it's a guideline. In yesteryear the canon served as a barrier to entry to the literati, since literacy was reserved for the ruling classes (nobility, clergy) and required reference to a set of books.

Ha, already does sappho. Just mad you lost the point. Sappho is no Homer or Bible.

Somebody post the Chinese skin lightening cream

Yamero

Come on man, you dom't get extra knowledge points just for being asian. It makes logical sense. The farmers get tan in the sun, so naturally the nobility has fairer skin. That becomes a admirable trait, especially for women (i.e. the white-powder face thing for wives and dancers in asian culture).
Supply evidence to the contrary if you have it.

I never said asians dont value light skinnedness. I said you're talking out of your ass. Because this is the only thing you choose to see about Asia because it serves your ideology. Many asians simply dont give a shit and are happy with their darkness. You ignore those asians and in doing so tokenize the continent.

>did you come here from a Discord server?

You need to ask yourself that, incel. How many threads do you chuds throw up about racist pseduscience and mein kampf 24/7?

>why are you colonizing our image board

No amount of your infrographs and false-history you steal from plebbit colonies like knowyourmeme, this site has always been majority filled with left-leaning hacktivists. Just see chanology.

It wasn't until around 2014 when goobergate and the 2016 elections started, did stormfront invade this place and push the argument that unironic racism and anti-semitism was the norm around here. Go back.

Attached: 1554958003536.jpg (1050x875, 150K)

Imagine actually defending being chanology cancer lmao

I’m not going to list every work we read in every statement I make.
Other texts I’ve omitted that we read
>Plato’s Republic, Protagoras, Timaeus, symposium, Aristotle’s Nicomachean ethics, Herodotus, Thucydides, Seneca’s Letters and Treatises, Livy’s Histories, Augustine’s Confessions, Acts of Thecla,
Life of Muhammad, City of Women, the Divine Comedy.
This list is still not exhaustive.
Id consider the loss of the entire Epic Cycle except the Iliad and Odyssey to be more egregious

>A few Asians like to look poor, somehow this invalidates the point.

old Yea Forums

>singlehandedly take down take down right wing scam cults

new Yea Forums

> reposts and edit the same neo-nazi frog and harass game developers on twitter because they seen a single poc in the trailer

Hmm......

eyeroll

>still defending chanology
cancer

Old Yea Forums
>trolls teenagers to literal death
>hitler did nothing wrong
New Yea Forums
>those guys were just pedophiles and cyber terrorists and serial killers, any racism was ironic!
>t. some newfag told this by another newfag

>ebic strawman greentext with no substance

Typical nu-chan reactionary. Get the fuck off of my site

I mean, that's all pretty Yea Forums. They have half a point, they just take it too far in their hysterics. Most colleges DO only teach eurocentric curriculum. Name one western university that assigns Dazai or Mishima, let alone something like the Shahnameh, Gilgamesh, Genji, or 1001.
HOWEVER, that doesn't mean we should stop reading anyone who happened to have been a white male. These "people" are facetious. They don't care about good literature from other cultures, they just want to drum up hatred and drama and make a screaming racket so they can feel important and pretend they did something with their lives.
lmao. China actually is, literally, patriarchal, racist, xenophobic, and is in the process of colonizing africa right this moment. But all we get on that is silence. Can't accuse yellow man of racism, that goes against the leftist dogma.
Chinese are inferior to the japanese in terms of literature, by the way. probably because meow 'za dong murdered all the academics. Fuck chinks. Remember Tienanmen Square.

Imagine not even being chanology cancer and defending it anyway because of some script your reddit buddy gave you. This is so bad dude. You will never have been an oldfag.

old Yea Forums
>lol stfu nigga

new 4fhan
>Omg kike shill kike shill share blue cia spook nigga imma post info graphics until bump limit now

pol killed Yea Forums anyone who disagrees should just stay on their containment site

what's that thing on your arm?

youtu.be/WNndxz7jKF4

The amount of lies, delusion and hypocrisy in this video. Fucking wew.

Dear Californian banana, please explain more how I'm the one tokenizing Russia.

Only one acceptable answer.

Attached: 1537142164795.jpg (1080x846, 175K)

Watch this to know what you're getting into, particularly the commenter at (44:55)
youtu.be/lcJZCVemn-4?t=2695
>All of the authors you mentioned were men
>Ancient Greece

Give me your email LARPer and I'll send you a picture of my dick.

Nobody cares about Asians except from maybe westernized brown women. When they say diverse voices they mostly mean blacks and maybe hispanics writing in a western framework of understanding.

44:55. Jesus Christ.

>YO OH NO NO YOLO YASHONDALA THE WHYPIPO BE THANKIN THEY BE STARTED WIT DA GREEKS N SHIT
>WE SISSAS DUN PLAY DAT UP IN HYER'
>DA GREEKS WUZ BLACK N YOU BES BE DECOLONIZIN WHY'BOI
bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/41763158/trolled-for-asking-for-more-writers-of-colour-at-cambridge

Attached: _98493925_lola1.jpg (976x549, 94K)

When I was on twitter I was subscribed to a bunch of classicists. They had a lengthy discussion about how the general public doesn't know that the ancient Greeks were black. The field appears completely subverted.

These niggers and kikes said it clearly, they want to destroy the humanities if they can't make it black QUEEN bullshit.
The only real answer. Give them a taste of real French philosophy.

Attached: poo.png (800x700, 420K)

There are countless statues and busts.
KYS, tranny nigger.

MODS

Fuck me. I mean I'm aware these people exist, but we're talking money-grab institutions, or deparmtents that are hurting financially, not reputable MA/BA programs right?

Based.

Attached: david-gyasi-achilles-cropped-1.jpg (1000x563, 196K)

KYS. There is little more relevant to lit than a bunch of niggers and kikes turning libraries into sewage treatment facilities.

i just wanted to see your tits after you were dead

These were random credentialed classicists who I subscribed to because of the photos of classical artifacts they posted. Like statues of white dudes for example. I didn't expect the sjw politics whatsoever.

I’ve heard about this...sad. I’m a classics major, I hope we can save this field before it’s fully subverted by Marxists

Shit, I didn’t think it was that bad user. The classics professors at my school are pretty based overall, even if they’re privately lefties they don’t bring politics into class besides a snipe occasionally about contemporary events. They just teach the languages/literature, and have some really interesting research insights. I’ve talked with them for hours based on a simple question I asked

i-d.vice.com/en_uk/article/pa3aqb/feminist-killjoy-lola-olufemi-decolonise-cambridge-university

Cringe

How come women came to be oppressed and not men?

The reason that explains that, is the same reason that also explains why the canon is mostly white and male.

>that fucking voice
Ban sqeaky-voiced americans from academia.

>you're going to let someone who's been historically marginalised from the production of classics talk
Have any sub-saharan civilisations even had formal writing systems?

obviously.

But as the quote shows they were racist just as we are. Shouldn't it trigger you?

no argument or defense you make will convince them to reconsider their views OP, it's not worth it.

lol imagine your civilization selfdestructing due to relentless self-criticism along the lines of "Think of the blacks, bigot!". Chinese and Japanese historians of 2500 will find this all sort of darkly hilarious, by that time every major Western figure will have been retconned into a black.

>Sumerian
>wh*te

Too fucking new, there are many anons that shitpost solely to get replies.

>How can I respond to this and defend the current canon of Western literature that will convince a primarily leftist crowd of students?

First thing is to get a girl to side with you and start the conversation -> pro western canon.
Then to call them racist for hating the greeks as much of it can be counted as middle eastern literature. Make them remember that the helenistic world streched till Afghanistan (Bactria) under Alexander. So they actually want to replace the BROWN dead men.
Alternatively, if everything else fails force them into the old asian classics like Tao Te King, Konfuzius and such and ask them to read them in contrast to the greeks and romans. So it forces them to read both. And as most of their thoughts are kind of similiar to the ancient western thought, they will get mostly the same worldview.

Attached: 1552552852629.jpg (1280x720, 373K)

The west as a concept was created around the shared cultural elements of European peoples made stronger by their opposition to Islamic civilization. When something is Islamic, it is not only not western but anti-western.