Your top 3 deepest books?

I'm searching for special kind of books, with deep meaning. I really need something to chew on.
It is desirable that the book is a bit fucked up and sad. Thank you user for your recomendation.

Attached: 9780141041155.jpg (1528x2343, 1.52M)

No longer human
Lolita
Dubliners

Lot 49
Gravity's Rainbow
The Very Hungry Caterpillar

OP I've never read that book but I read the Pigeon and it was very good. Wasn't the deepest thing I've ever read but it was quick.

Angel by Elizabeth Taylor (not that Elizabeth Taylor)
this is a recommendation from the heart user, I read it for the first time recently and when I finished it I sat in silence for a long time. it's not very well known but it is fucked up and sad and praised by lots of authors I care about

stoner

Howl’s Moving Castle
Game of Thrones
Seven of Nine

huh? Those are not books.

The Golem - Gustav Meyrink
The Passion According to G.H. by Clarice Lispector
The Book of Monelle by Marcel Schwob.

But to be honest these books are simply too hard for most of the Yea Forumserati.

Perfume wasn't that deep but it was definitely a work of art.

They are all originally books, dumbass.

Thank you, I'll definitely check it out.
Also, I'm going to read the Pigeon. I hope Suskind is going to write another book beofre he dies. Perfume was his major book, I heard he was writting it for over 20 years.

Thank you for great ideas!

You mean specifically fiction? Off the top of my head:
The Trial
The Green Face
Being There

I loved this book, because it's the only book so far that is questioning the "higher meaning".
Grenouille created something most sublime, but after that he realised that he has no purpuse on earth. However, that means, that if someone could reach higher understanding, he would instantly want to die, because there is nothing else to do after that on earth.

What the fuck is this thread ? Pajeets pls go

Divine Comedy
The Name of the Rose
Notes from Underground

lol good books but everyone knows these

mine:

tournier - friday
selimovic - death and the dervish
simenon - dirty snow

You sound like someone with no friends

Nice I'll check these out. And I wish /lit knew about these books I've never seen a single one of those authors mentioned on this board unless I post it. You're like the second person I've seen on here said they know of them. (Excluding Meyrink to an extent)

How was green face? I did not expect someone to mention that. Have you read "Angel of the West Window"?

Green Face was excellent. I would say at least as good as the Golem. Angel of the West Window, by the way, was most likely not actually written by Meyrink. He gave his name to it so that a friend who wrote it could make more money from it. Certain parts may have been written by Meyrink, but most was likely not.

Really now? Do you have any sources on that, I haven't seen any mention of it and I own a Dedalus edition with a solid introduction on Meyrink by the translator. I would be very surprised if there was someone else that could weave together dozens of different beliefs like Meyrink does.

Not OP, but have you read anything else by her?

It's in his biography Vivo, only English language biography of Meyrink I'm aware of

- Hamlet
- King Lear
- One of those books with a cavity inside that can be filled with anything you want, even chewables.

not yet. I don't know if I'm ready, apparently some of her other work is darker

She sounds great. Going to order Angel and if I like it i'm going to get more of hers.

I envy you as somebody who has Angel to read for the first time.
I think I'm going to read her A View of the Harbour next

>Book of Poverty and Death, Rainer Maria Rilke
>Our Need for Consolation Cannot be Sated, Stig Dagerman
>Conversations in Sicilia, Elio Vittorini

Oh wow the author is Mike Mitchell, the translator for my copy. Ill have to check this out

Thanks for the suggestion this looks great. Just from reading the description you may want to look into Rose Macaulay. There has been series of articles written about her novel What Not calling it a feminist Brave New World. Ignore them, what not isn't exactly her most well regarded work. I would describe her as a female combination of Fitzgerald and C.S. Lewis

The Golem was a fucking trip, loved it

Attached: wew.jpg (1024x1024, 166K)