Authors on other authors

Guess who wrote this about Huxley

Oh, Huxley was a terrible writer, I admit. His writing is pretentious andclumsy, his characters are bland ciphers"

Attached: 030317_ra545.jpg (727x953, 82K)

was it nabokov by any chance

Nope

Continues like this
but he had one vital premonition:he understood that for centuries the evolution of human society had beenlinked to scientific and technological progress and would continue to bemore and more so. He may have lacked style or finesse or psychologicalinsight, but that's insignificant compared with the accuracy of theoriginal concept. Huxley was the first writer to realize that biologywould take over from physics as the driving force of society long before other sci-fi writers".

he promised me the world
brave and new
but all i saw
was old and afraid

-Rupi Kaur

hollaback

Cervantes?

>psychologicalinsight

Attached: 1300044776986.jpg (600x600, 35K)

Das it.
From Atomised

damn

is it some old white dude?

Now guess whi said this

Dante, or the hyena that writes poetry in tombs.

This is about Julian, right?- or even Thomas Henry, but not Aldous I'm guessing, some of whose novels I think are pretty good- like Antic Hay.

No, that's still Michel's rambling about Aldous, but he adressed his brother a few paragraphs later

Nietzsche?

Houellebecq, right?

Almost certain it was Borges.

Huh I always thought that was Dickinson

Yeah.

Next is a easy one

Ernest Hemingway: he has no courage, has never crawled out on a limb. He has never been known to use a word that might cause the reader to check with a dictionary to see if it is properly used.

Faulkner

Right.
Next

On Freud: “A screwed up shrunk very old man: with a monkey’s light eyes, paralysed spasmodic movements, inarticulate: but alert.”

I always liked Huxley's books more for the ideas he presents, rather than the quality of his stories

Attached: 1551536550220.jpg (1055x1078, 139K)

>inarticulate: but alert
me desu

Classic sci-fi. What has he written other than Brave New World worth reading?

Doors of Perception

Island

Point Counterpoint, Chrome Yellow

Grey Eminence; the Perennial Philosophy

Eyeless in Gaza

I Googled the answer because I was curious.

I have to ask, are they any good? I know they are well-respected but are they enjoyable to read?

He talks about this too
Huxley published hislast book, Island. It's set on a utopian tropical island-probably based onSri Lanka, given the scenery and the vegetation. On the island acivilization has developed which has completely bypassed the greatcommercial currents of the twentieth century. Nudism is accepted as normal, sensuality and sexuality arefreely practiced. The book was second-rate, but it was easy to read and ithad a enormous effect on hippies and, through them, on New Agers. If youlook at it closely, the harmonious society in Island has a lot in commonwith Brave New World. Huxley was probably senile by that time. He didn'tseem to notice the similarities himself The society in Island is as closeto Brave New World as hippie liberalism is to bourgeois liberalism—orrather to its Swedish social-democratic variant.

Not really, it's a waste

>holler back calling anyone else pretentious and anyone's characters bland

I get the pretentious part but his characters are anything but bland.

Name any vibrant characteristic any of them has. Besides ennui and pretentious academic affectation, or a "tight arse". They're names that serve as placeholders, not characters.

Placeholders is the most vague of criticisms you could come up with.
Michel and Bruno have a haunting presence, their backgrounds are well constructed, they have great lines, sense of humour and are easily relatable.
None of them is alike even if they share a cynic sense of humour, intellectual tendencies and tragic presence.

Yes, I believe it was in The Elementary Particles

Yes that's it

I always enjoyed Asimov dunking on Orwell for being salty he got beat by the Stalinists in Spain

kek

damn, that's just rude

Attached: .png (1600x900, 2.09M)

>Orwell
>got beat by the stalinists

Lmao, should have brought his katana

Attached: eb5da8198b9b5116d5fc574e7cf08022.jpg (500x687, 37K)

>-Rupi Kaur

Attached: Capture.png (963x1120, 1.32M)

Now let's do a positive comment.
Guess who was a bit of a Beckett fanboy

>The other day I noticed Beckett along one of the footpaths in the Luxembourg Gardens, reading a newspaper in a way that reminded me of one of his characters. He was seated in a chair, lost in thought, as he usually is. He looked rather unwell. I didn't dare approach him. What would I say? I like him so much but it's better that we not speak. He is so discreet! Conversation is a form of play-acting that requires a certain lack of restraint. It's a game which Beckett wasn't made for. Everything about him bespeaks a silent monologue.

this is so PROVOCATIVE! this is STUNNING!

Yeah dude, a katana prolly woulda been a safer bet than anything he got handed by his shitty Trot militia lmao

I genuinely agree with this

Attached: ebony.gif (320x240, 2.65M)

This reads like a long ironic joke about Beckett's proclivity for gossip. Paul Bowles did something like that when describing Tennessee Williams's bookish behavior, a jest Vidal got, but the critic he was broadsiding didn't.

"When others cry "Down with Kings! (He) cries "Down with Laws also!" - Engels

Probably Stirner, or Bakunin maybe

Yup, it was Stirner.

I'm positive that said author was genuinely impressed by Beckett and enjoyed his company.
And that's saying much since he hardly ever said anything positive about anyone.

Here's a hint.
E.C.

And here are some more entries on his diary

Samuel Beckett. The Nobel Prize. What a humiliation for such a proud man. The sadness of being understood! Beckett or the anti-Zarathustra.The post-humanity vision (as we say "post-Christianity") Beckett or the apotheosis of the subhuman.

Splendid, divine morning in the Luxembourg Gardens. Watching people as they came and went, I said to myself that we the living (the living!) walk this earth only for a brief time. Instead of looking at the faces of passers-by, I looked at their feet, and they all became for me only their footsteps, which went in every direction, making a disorderly dance not worth lingering on. While thinking of this, I looked up and saw Beckett, this exquisite man whose mere presence has something so salutary about it. The operation on his cataract, performed on just one eye for now, was a great success. He's beginning to see in the distance, which he hadn't been able to do until now. "I"ll end up by becoming an extrovert," he told me. "It will be up to your future commentators to explain why," I replied.

I almost hate myself for not knowing who wrote this deliciously English-mannered tribute, though I refuse to believe his hyperbole about Beckett's introversion, since it does not follow that a lack of egotism implies a lack of virtuosity in dish: Quite the opposite, since those who have others in mind more than themselves, are most apt at sizing up their sources.

It was Cioran, apparently he felt a deep and lasting affinity with Beckett.

she needs a good spanking

Cioran and Beckett had some sort of friendship. I didn't guess by the first quote, even though you gave the initials. It was only when he said that the Nobel Prize was a bad thing for him that it reminded me of something along those lines that Cioran said about Borges. He said that Borges would be better off being an obscure author.

nice chiasmus, anyway

He rightfully would have preferred the two of them remaining relatively obscure/notvfully appreciated.
In a sense he is right when saying "the sadness of being understood", truly the greatest offense for any thinker is being recognised for his greatness during his lifetime.

holy... i want more