ITT

Unadaptable Books

Attached: 28DDC687-FC23-4248-BAB0-AA1D3B0709A8.jpg (401x600, 44K)

Haven't read this yet, but the opening sentence is among the most perfect I have ever read. Oh my, what a delight it is to read it, every time I do. Sadly people say the work itself is mediocre - is this true? Either way, that sentence is a stroke of mastery on his part. I wonder how long it took him to output one so perfectly constructed.

This has been proven time and time again, and still studios keep attempting to do the impossible.

Attached: happy-h-p-lovecraft-2c.jpg (640x640, 246K)

>Haven't read this yet, but the opening sentence is among the most perfect I have ever read.

Wait until you read the final paragraph.

This. It literally title drops in the last sentence am I’m not even mad

It’s derivative of some other magical realist works but it isn’t mediocre, it perfects the tone and aesthetic of the works it is derived from.

Undoubtedly one of the greatest books to have ever been written. In a thousand years it will be the equivalent of the Illiad for America

It's good. Last chapter is the best last chapter of any book I've read.

He was born in colombia and lived in mexico/europe lmao

He meant The Americas a.ka. the American continent, or "America" in some places.

PKD’s Valis, due to the central role of the reference-jammed inner monologue

He can't be adapted because the very nature of his works depends on you being unable to see what's being described.

People keep saying pic related is gonna be a miniseries on HBO or whatever but I don't see how they could possibly convey it correctly.

Attached: houseofleaves.jpg (371x499, 23K)

One of the best books I’ve ever read. The first 1/2 to about 5/8 of the book is wonderful then it becomes boring until about 3 chapters from the end, then it picks up again with even more force than before. The ending chapter is a literary masterpiece in and of itself.

What is magical realism about, and who originated it? Which work encapsulates it best?

Can't wait to read it. Which translation/company for English, please?

Gravity’s Rainbow is one of the most unadaptable books I’ve ever read because of the writing style and becuase of the content. The wiring style is one of the main reasons it’s such a good book, Pynchon is the best author that I’ve read when it comes to disorienting and exciting you when reading his prose. The content is equally important as the prose becuase often Pynchon will break off into philosophical musings about rocket equations, or about black rocket engineers, or about sex, or about magic, or about anything really; his writing is really what makes the book what it is.

Gravity’s Rainbow is less of a coherent story and more of a sacrifice in the name of the gods of prose, philosophy, and literature

Attached: 459F8522-0B33-4BDB-9CF0-AB1DA5E243A2.jpg (601x768, 105K)

Read the Gregory Rabassa translation. Marquez said that the Rabassa translation was better than the original Spanish

Why was Love in the Time of Cholera so bad?

Really? Seems strange to ever concede something like that. Is Marquez one of the best living authors, even one of the best of the past century? I only know of him from this one book - I'm not big into reading, and know even less about Spanish authors.

hi I'm new to Yea Forums and reading in general. what is a good Lovecraft book to start with?

also I'm reading House of Leaves right now (about 2/3rds through) and I really like it! though i don't entirely understand it

Why would anyone ask such a dumb question? What's next unadaptable paintings? songs? yo momma's pussy?

I get the feeling nobody on Yea Forums reads books, they just want to steal ideas from books and become rich TV screenwriters or something. Fucking pathetic. Shame on you guys. I am leaving ....

He probably wants to talk about the Netflix adaption that's coming out without getting the thread deleted

No such thing.

I didn't really understand it until the last Truant passage, don't worry.

Read At the Mountains of Madness.

Then go to Yea Forums c'mon.

I hate the fact the Marquez is dead and he can't stop Netflix. It's just sad. Books need to survive being raped like this. This is why there's so much bad literature out there. Everyone has one eye on optioning their book for some Netflix series. Writers need to stand up to this cross-platform feeding frenzy.

As the other user said, Rabassa’s translation is a work of art

They would absolutely fuck it up; the DFW-lite marginalia gimmickry that is one of the book's greatest assets is incapable of being meaningful translated to film. All that audiences would be rewarded with in the end is some paltry, pretentious Blair Witch/found footage analogue. A House Of Leaves adaptation is truly an idiotic premise.
Start with pic related, it contains all of his essential texts. Once you have a basic understanding and appreciation of Lovecraftian aesthetic and ideas, consider moving on to the works of his acolytes, including Clark Ashton Smith, August Derluth, Robert Bloch, etc.

Attached: 20190414_232153.jpg (1536x2048, 1.67M)

I just googled it and I'm sure I've gotten the wrong sentence. Could you tell me what it is you're thinking of?

Attached: 41xaxKM9IGL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (327x499, 25K)

Maldoror?