How many pop philosophers talk bullshit and know that they talk bullshit but they also know how they need to play the...

How many pop philosophers talk bullshit and know that they talk bullshit but they also know how they need to play the game in order to make a buck or two?

I mean, it's easy to construct a sentence that makes sense, just say something like:

"Hegel said that [quote here] and it can explain the situation we are in right now."

"People think [put something that people think here], but it's quite the opposite, like [quote philosopher here] already explained years ago."

I don't get it. What's the appeal? Are people just searching for someone who's eloquent enough to form a coherent thought so they can point at him and say "It's exactly like he said."

I don't want to attach the image of that other charlatan, so I also mean this charlatan, and every other charlatan.

Attached: 1000.jpg (999x599, 54K)

Nobody wants to put in the effort to actually read philosophy. They latch onto public intellectuals and regurgitate their soundbites on youtube comments and image boards instead because it's easier and nobody is any the wiser

>How many pop philosophers talk bullshit and know that they talk bullshit but they also know how they need to play the game in order to make a buck or two?
All of them.

Except Diogenes.

>Zizek is a char-

Attached: 1545093449999.jpg (3051x2154, 1.95M)

>How philosophers talk bullshit
All Continentals, so most of the philosophers.

Attached: 6d7f16413de6c9799d5e2ba49c5f3d23.jpg (258x195, 10K)

OP talks about Zizek on TV/YouTube.

zizek is just charismatic and that's why people like him. that added on to him sounding smart to normies is his whole appeal

the sam harris/peterson crowd is just people that dont like the mainstream media or narrative desperate for something else, and they again sound smart to normies, so they flock to them

>Why does the same material presented in different mediums vary in its depth!?

more like

>why wouldn't someone who studied ideology not use it to make some money

it works for them though

the standard for being a public intellectual is pretty low, unfortunately. Most are more concerned with money and popularity than they are with their job, which is explaining difficult concepts to people who have neither the time nor ability to understand them.

i find it amusing that people find that coke sniffing alcoholic charismatic. i find him phlegmatic if anything. his entire physiology screams morbidity

why is he on the literature board then?

hmm, yes; shallow and pedantic

all of them? money is literally the only thing that matters in this world
it's the only motivation that drives people, especially those in the public eye that have an opportunity to exploit it

you're right, but morbid people are very good at pointing a finger

Ben Stiller is mainstream as fuck. Peterson's BS was mainstream 40 years ago.

I get this reference

Zizek is actually a brilliant literary theorist. I just started reading Looking Awry: An Introduction to Jacques Lacan, and his dissection of the scene in Richard II from which the book gets its title is very clever and insightful. The entire book is him basically taking pop cultural artifacts and analyzing them through a Lacanian theoretical lens so it looks like it'll be a good read.

Best Zizek book?

I doubt if he makes that much money. Have you seen his appartment in that documentary?

Well I'm glad you found a way to bitch about philosophers without engaging with their actual work.