Was the final chapter reasonable?

Was the final chapter reasonable?

Attached: 41Y5oe4rmlL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (312x499, 20K)

Are you asking about the real final chapter, or about the cut short original American edition?

You mean the 21st? Nah, it was pretty gay. Kubrick was right to axe it.

>was having a conclusion reasonable

Attached: DDE56EA0-8E8D-4727-9AC7-104266D74431.png (1200x1042, 247K)

It felt forced and retarded.

Based

Chapter 21.

>only happy endings count as conclusions

Attached: 20190403_235002.jpg (441x442, 88K)

Absolutely. It's more than reasonable, it's a thematic necessity. The cycle must continue on and on, in perpetuity. Kubrick's adaptation scores nihilistic edgelord points for omitting it, but the actual ending is in truth far more satisfying.

But the last chapter doesn't continue the cycle, it's shoehorned Christian-moralistic cycle-breaking. "Oh, well, look at Pete over here living a moderate life with a moderate wife. Maybe... I should lead a moderate life, and have a moderate wife, as well?" Even worse than the ending to C&P, which I didn't think was possible

What? In my final chapter they just kick the little twerp to the curb and he sits down with his maties to think of all the fucked up shit they saw & did
Felt like it had a positive outlook without bludgeoning you over the head with it.

Based. One of the rare occasions where the film is better than the book.

Does your edition have a 21st chapter? That's the stinker.

>'This,' said Pete to the devotchka, 'is an old friend. His name is Alex. May I,' he said to me, 'introduce my wife?'
>But first of all, brothers, there was this veshch of finding some devotchka or other who would be a mother to this son. I would have to start on that tomorrow, I kept thinking. That was something like new to do. That was something I would have to get started on, a new like chapter beginning.
etc.

>But the last chapter doesn't continue the cycle
That's demonstratably untrue, it's on some overt literal Lion King circle of life shit.
>My son, my son. When I had my son I would explain all that to him when he was starry enough to like understand. But then I knew he would not understand or would not want to understand at all and would do all the veshches I had done, yes perhaps even killing some poor starry forella surrounded with mewing kots and koshkas, and I would not be able to really stop him. And nor would he be able to stop his own son, brothers. And so it would itty on to like the end of the world.

The cycle of personal violence vs. that of human violence in general. But even so it's forced. People who get that far into it don't necessarily eschew violence as a matter of maturity, and there's little intimation that Alex would have such an epiphany prior to the chapter in question.

It shows you cannot force someone to be good, they must choose to be good themselves.
Honestly, without its inclusion, the story doesn't feel complete. You're left with what exactly, bad people are bad and that's all there is to it? That works from a bleak, nihilistic perspective on human morality, and is probably closer to the truth anyway, but as a novel it's unsatisfying.

>little intimation that Alex would have such an epiphany prior to the chapter in question.
I disagree. Alex is not a good person by any means, but he is neither stupid nor an actual sociopath devoid of any emotion. The chapter in no way insinuates that he's begun to change as a result of learning anything from his ordeal or becoming a better person or anything like that; rather, Alex's transformation is contingent upon his growing feelings of boredom and dissatisfaction with the droog lifestyle, and his realization that, for all of his worship of classical artists, he's accomplished nothing of substance in his life compared to his heroes.
>I was eighteen now, just gone. Eighteen was not a young age. At eighteen old Wolfgang Amadeus had written concertos and symphonies and operas and oratorios and all that cal, no, not cal, heavenly music. And then there was old Felix M. with his "Midsummer Night's Dream" Overture. And there were others. And there was this like French poet set by old Benjy Britt, who had done all his best poetry by the age of fifteen, O my brothers. Arthur, his first name. Eighteen was not all that young an age then. But what was I going to do?

Ch.21 is pleb end of story. Without it, the book only has a “nihilistic outlook” if you’re retarded

Based

>dude I'm changed for the better now because reasons XDD
It's strictly for the birds.

Yes. It reflects real-world trends of criminal young adult males becoming significantly less aggressive as they age. I accept any criticism of the 21st chapter as valid which is not: "Bad people don't just stop being bad!" or "Happy endings are lame. I need nihilistic dribble to affirm my own lack of purpose and cynicism!"