Why am I not as articulate verbally as I am while writing? Its not that I get the luxury of time...

Why am I not as articulate verbally as I am while writing? Its not that I get the luxury of time, even if I start writing without sparing a second thinking anything I still come off better in words.
Is there a book that discusses this?

Attached: Anton-Chekhov-1080x608.jpg (1080x608, 117K)

NPC with no inner voice

I dunno, it's almost like having your ideas and arguments tested and challenged by other humans is more difficult than agreeing with yourself or something.

I don't think that's what he meant. If user's saying what I think he is, he's better able to make cogent arguments/points in writing than while speaking. I can have debates and shit with people in email format but I can hardly do it face to face, for instance.

Pause and think a while before you answer somebody. I think we have a natural tendency to reply as quickly as possible in face-to-face intercourse and this effect gets amplified in debates because we want to defend our points and put pressure on our opponent. I prefer written debate to verbal debate anyway as it tends to be of higher quality.

u mad

This. Stumbling over the simplest of words because you don't take pauses makes you sound a lot dumber than you probably are.

you have it backwards, NPC

Damn, I know this feel.
What helps me is just slowing down when I speak; not only does it make you less likely to stutter, it helps you pick the perfect word for every situation. Plus it makes you sound calmer and more in charge.

Low self-esteem.

Fluent speech requires rapid motor coordination and verbal processing, and usually happens in busy settings with other distractions and things to keep track of. That's why I'm way more articulate when I can just type something out like this. Also, I edit out mistakes by reading through what I just wrote, this isn't possible in a day to day setting.

>debating in person
all argument should be on paper. Public debate is just theater for proles who think intelligence = speaking quickly and playing silly word games (e.g. Ben Shapiro)

Attached: thisismyrapeface.jpg (360x360, 20K)

I suspect this is the other way around. NPCs seem to be naturally more articulate despite the lack of inner voice because it's all instinct with them, but for those of us who are in our heads all the time basic communication can be difficult because we're not comfortable outside of ourselves, causing us to repeat things we just said, start to say things and then trail off, not hear things properly, get distracted, say things that are inappropriate or irrelevant, suddenly become offended or receive a huge spike in anxiety due to something we imagined or misinterpreted, etc.

Expanding on this, I'm way more articulate when I've been drinking. Things seem to slow down and I'm not overwhelmed by sensory overload like I am sober.

Nice cope, NPClet

You don't write particularly well either.

>go through the working day composing beautiful sentences and aphoristic passages in my mind
>get home and start writing
>"It was a rainy day at St. Pa-" holy fuck that sucks I'll just play videogames for today

That's why you take notes everywhere, whether on your phone or on paper.

You're right, user, it's definitely NPCs and not autists who are awkward socially and have difficulty communicating.

>NPClet

lmao what he's describing is literally autism. in what world does being socially retarded make you an npc and being a normalfag make you a non-npc? i swear normalshits like you will hijack anything to feel special. you don't even understand the inner voice thing. people who excessively sub-vocalize are precisely the sort of people who are socially inadequate, and the ones with no inner voice are social butterflies who have no problem making steady eye contact and never say anything off or weird.

Look at the triggered NPC bluescreening with rage

>Hehe. I'm a socially competent chad and it's you autists who are the NPCs.

It's difficult to say without knowing you, OP, but anxiety can be a big part of you. When you to deal with constant background anxiety, it's difficult to properly focus and express yourself the way you would behind a word processor. Plus, this sort of goes hand and hand with social isolation which will fuck your social skills. Being a good communicator like anything requires practice. If you don't talk to other people, you're not going to be good at talking to people, just like if you don't write, you're not going to be good at writing.

You guys ever think about how Plato was sitting around all day dunking on small-minded chaps with only the power of his silver tongue? Don’t bring up Ben Shapiro, that’s not what he’s doing. There was a time when well-reasoned rhetoric for its own sake was an exclusively oral phenomenon. The written word has degraded human potential for this ability. We are more narrow and small because of it. Language has become stagnant, and with it, thought. Time to wage a war against literacy.

What's wrong with his writing?

Writing and speaking, different muscles in the brain.

Articulation is a different part of the brain, and people that struggle with doing multiple things at once usually struggle with speech. It is like any other skill though, and can be trained.
I've always been naturally articulate in speech, and I started speaking very early. According to my parents I could put together long multisyllabic sentences before I was one year old.
However I wasn't much interested in reading as a child, as I was very active and preferred sports. It wasn't until my early 20s I developed an interest in literature, and my overall vocabulary has gotten much better which has improved my articulation even more.(though I usually read in English, which is my second language)
I do spend a lot of my time talking to people, friends and family which also helps, and when I'm alone I some times act out scenarios in my head and even do little monologues on topics I'm interested in, so that when I talk to people about it, it's not something that I to fumble through, because I've already structured an idea in my head. This makes it easy for me to be very precise, and choosing the right words come a lot more naturally.

Do you think writing and speaking skills are mutually exclusive? I have rarely seen people with both them so...

No, they don't.

I know my working memory is abysmal in certain areas like spatial orientation and motor coordination. This is why I'm easily overwhelmed when I'm doing other things, so I don't have time to form proper arguments at the same time. If you want to have a good discussion with me, we have to take a nice seat in a calm environment. That's the only way I can focus and speak fluently.

well "writing without sparing a second thinking anything" is fucking painful to read. "without sparing a second" isn't even a real expression but some sort of confused merging of "without a second thought" and "with no time to spare". then he claims to "come off better in words", as if speech wasn't also composed of words. it's some pretty embarrassing shit.

i think what's going on is that op is fairly inarticulate in both ways but there's much more opportunity to be confronted with your speech being inadequate than your writing.

it might be because speech is a much more complex process than writing. or, it might be nerves.

why did you write everything after that first sentence lol

Why do anything?

Trying to give insight I guess. I could have structured it differently, to make it not seem as part of my answer to OP's question, but I was writing it on my phone while I was taking a dump this morning.

It's an interesting topic, and I'm completely hypothesizeing here, but there seems to be a common thing with spatial awareness, short term memory, processing of information around us and the ability to form cohesive and well articulated sentences on the go.

I'm the opposite of you. I have very good spacial awareness, and tend to enjoy being overwhelmed with information. The more details the better. All the small fragments tend to give me a better idea of the big picture and I can empathize, read and understand people better that way.

On a good day it feels like my brain downloaded extra ram and is processing everything in the short term almost out of instinct. I don't have to make a conscious effort to argue or get my point across. I also have "partial photographic memory". In the sense that I have very good image recollection, but this also extends to my general memory, and it's fairly easy for me to recall events, ideas or what other people have said.

I think there is a link between your ability to form well articulated arguments and your ability to process information. You don't really access your stored memory as much in speech, it's almost like "muscle" memory, in the sense that it's processed automatically and you don't have to think as much about your reply. At least that's the case when you see the big picture of a conversation or debate. Since you anticipate what the other person might say. Therefore you already have a reply ready before it's your turn to speak.

What you say now is something I recognize. I love detailed information as well, but it has to be in a certain form. I don't process all information equally well. I'm more of a verbal/aural person than visual. When there's too much visual information my brain can't process it all and I become nervous.
However, with language and music it's the opposite. During daily life there's not enough stimulation and I'm constantly looking for books and albums with high information density.
It's almost like one part of my brain has compensated for the lack in another part. But that's just wild speculation. All I know is that I likely have a visual/motor processing disorder.

Look up vintage videos and audio recordings of people speaking. Listen for about 30 hours.

Chad is playing the game of life and absolutely owns it
the only thing you are playing is yourself through your belief that being a basement dweller makes you somehow superior to functioning people
cope harder

Can it be trained?

To an extent I'm sure it can. I haven't done much research on it though, so I don't really have much grounds to make assertions, but I immagine it's like other cognitive abileties where if you use certain neurological pathways in your brain more, your brain strengthens and defaults to those pathways, making it more natural and easy for you.

Though you have to actively try to learn, and force yourself to build your cognitive abileties. And doing so requires you to be pretty aware of your psyche in the first place. Recognising fallacies and being able to correct them would be a good place to start. I'm sure there is good literature on this, I just don't know any good enough to recommend. Maybe a good mix of psychology and neuroscience.

However analysis and execution are different. So at the end of the day, you have to practise speaking to get better, if you know what to look for and how to mimic articulate speech, it'll start to come naturally after a while.

As long as you know what you're talking about it's a lot easier to make valid and articulate claims. If you don't you can always be assertive and people might still find you articulate and believe what you're saying. As long as you say it in a way that makes in hard to dispute and with confidence, but this can end with you looking like an idiot if someone knows the field and challenges your statements.

I don't think you can train your information processing however. Maybe once we've mapped the brain better we can induce improved performance from the regions that deal with say spacial awareness, or orientation through artificial stimulation. But that is far away and a big ethical mess of a debate that needs to be solved.

I also think there is a ceiling to your cognitive abileties, some of the things that can be trained, like speech will max out at some point, and a person that is inately well articulated would have higher potential ceiling than someone who isn't.

its called autism

It means you're a brainlet

I'm actually more articulate and precise in speech than writing.

based