Books of maxims

looking for books that contain proverbs, maxims, etc. an example of this would be epictetus' enchiridion

Attached: 1551529690412.jpg (1200x862, 57K)

Communist Manifesto

oh wait

Proverbs Of Hell by William Blake. They're all infinitely quotable.

Goethe’s Maxims and Reflections

The Nietzschsters bibliography. He was a trememdous admirer of concise aphorisms and maxims. For instance,
Beyond Good And Evil
Part Four : Maxims and Interludes

He who is a teacher from the very heart takes all things seriously only with reference to his students ‑ even himself.

'Knowledge for its own sake' ‑ this is the last snare set by morality: one therewith gets completely entangled with it once more.

The charm of knowledge would be small if so much shame did not have to be overcome on the road to it.

65a

One is most dishonest towards one's God: he is not permitted to sin!

The inclination to disparage himself, to let himself be robbed, lied to and exploited, could be the self‑effacement of a god among men.

Love of one is a piece of barbarism: for it is practised at the expense of all others. Love of God likewise.

'I have done that,' says my memory. 'I cannot have done that' ‑ says my pride, and remains adamant. At last ‑ memory yields.

One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion ‑ kills.

If one has character one also has one's typical experience which recurs again and again.

The sage as astronomer. ‑ As long as you still feel the stars as being something 'over you' you still lack the eye of the man of knowledge.

It is not the strength but the duration of exalted sensations which makes exalted men.

He who attains his ideal by that very fact transcends it.

73a

Many a peacock hides his peacock tail from all eyes ‑ and calls it his pride.

A man with genius is unendurable if he does not also possess at least two other things: gratitude and cleanliness.

The degree and kind of a man's sexuality reaches up into the topmost summit of his spirit.

Under conditions of peace the warlike man attacks himself.

With one's principles one seeks to tyrannize over one's habits or to justify or honour or scold or conceal them ‑ two people with the same principles probably seek something fundamentally different with them.

seconding Blake, Nietzche, also Martial for a laugh

La Rochefoucauld

>fedora maxims
cringe

Chamfort, Cioran

What maxims do you prefer?

Attached: invictus.jpg (640x1080, 111K)

Book of Proverbs
Ecclesiasticus

GR

Attached: pp.png (990x82, 14K)

Is this worth reading? Was thinking of reading to get insight into Goethe.
Also considering his 'Italian Journey' if anyone has read and can give some info.

Schopenhauer's Parerga and Paralipomena.

Attached: 1548343941140 .jpg (674x505, 118K)

Joseph Joubert

He was an astonishingly wise man. Reading anything by him can only improve you as a human being.

The Devil's Dictionary (Bierce)

Awesome.
It's strange that he does not garner anywhere near as much name recognition as other philosophers despite the enormous influence he exercised

>People whip curds to see if they cannot make
cream of them.
Yea Forums in a nutshell, bravo Goethe

>an example of this would be epictetus' enchiridion
I read it after reading this post and it was an enlightening couple of hours.
The final remark
>O Crito, if it is God's will, then so be it. Anytus and Meletus may kill me, but never offend me.
Is such a perfect summary of everything said in the book.

I don't get it

Attached: 1555074125146.jpg (655x527, 36K)

I think it's funny that the delphic maxims haven't been posted. It really shows how uncultured the average lit loser is.

Attached: flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg (550x550, 138K)

This. The Notebooks are solid.
Also Lichtenberg's Wastebooks and the Adagia, etc. of Erasmus.

Wasn't Heraclitus famous for this sort of thing?

>Goethe
Does he have "propedeutical" authors (like how people advise reading Kant before Schopenhauer), or can you just dive into it?

Check out Escolios, by Nicolás Gómez Dávila. Incredibly fun to read and really based.

he doesn't because he can't read

Anyone got some good recommendations for Eastern maxim-based philosophy? So far I've got the Tao Te Ching, the Caigentan and the Dhammapada although you could probably argue the latter as a religious work.

Attached: 1551752586659.jpg (720x960, 96K)

Just start off with Werther. I'm German though, so I really don't know the English translation holds up. I doubt that reading "Faust" in English is worth it, as it relies heavily on wordplay.

Unironically the biblical Book of Proverbs.

He wasn’t really a philosopher. I believe he penned some philosophic tracts, but he was what you would call a ‘man of letters.’

It's what remains of him, essentially, but theyre gnomic.

There are many translated versions of Werther, and, as English is a Germanic language, translations between the two tend to be more true than from any Latinate language into either. I mean, the Schlegel Shakespeare's not bad, and Celan's Emily Dickinson's an absolute masterpiece of translating. In other words there must be adequate versions of both Fausts in English (with notes), and certainly therefore Werther.

It may hold up as a literary work in itself, but the nuance of the German words are hard to capture. I would even argue that translating from English into German is a lot easier, as the German language functions in a more building block manner.

>Many a peacock
cringe