/write/ general

What are you writing, Yea Forums?

Note: this is not /critique/. You don't need to post samples if you don't want to. This is also not "write what's on your mind," because janny hates them. It's time for a proper /write/ general.

Attached: writing boi.jpg (600x338, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/h4BNUCVb
pastebin.com/tDTpxwS6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

all my past writing projects have been semi-pretentious attempts at 'high art', so my current challenge is to write a YA fantasy story with all the tropes of the genre but still satisfies me artistically. it's going p well.

I want to write something but I can't decide what to do with my ideas. Make an episodic series or just a multipart series. I'm starting to get uset.

A series of video games called the Liber series.

Finished most of my edit last night. still have one scene and the battle chapter to write, probably tomorrow. been tired all day, just been reading.
So I'll probably shop the manuscript out to agents this summer. It'll be about 60k words so I hope that's long enough.
After this I'll probably do some short stories for a while then go back and finish my other novel draft.

Attached: 29eaa457d2674c85368c89ccab06f90e.jpg (480x601, 44K)

I'm writing something along the lines of a satirical post-cyberpunk novel, I think. Have at least around 300-400 pages done, but i'm trying to finish it so I can start revising it.

>tfw spend the last year and a half in alcoholic fits of nostalgia
>writing book for myself
>writes about memories
>book coming along really well
>nostalgia bleeds into current life
>relationships end
>no phone no vehicle
>writing slows down as the drinking speeds up
>end up drinking myself into the hospital
>doctor explains I have a disease
>"user, this is very rare to have this young"
>now feel even more pressed
>start writing more
>still drink cuz hduwbfosywvudh
>get sick again
>i have to write this book
>i have to

That sounds interesting. What's it about?
Have you considered, you know, NOT drinking yourself to death?

Attached: a8b9c8add3007a34c53cedc260b82465.jpg (800x566, 84K)

Yaknow just recently ive been considering that lol
Its about a group of crazy adolecents and the development they go through from 16 to 20. There is more that goes into it but im at work rn.

Do you guys allow discussion of literotica shit? I'm a newfag to Yea Forums, last time I was here was the night the board opened

Why not? Only 10% of people on Yea Forums read and maybe 1% of them actually write, no matter how many say they do. Go for it.

I've been writing some poems and general ideas I have.

I'm trying to get myself to start on a memoir of sorts to help myself understand all the insanity that was my life trying to play rock and roll, but I can seem to get myself to start. I think I'm either A) scared of what I'll find out about myself or B) in need of moving somewhere to get away from any ideas of playing or recording songs for a while.

I'm also probably schitzophrenic thanks to copious amounts of LSD.

Attached: 1553642911983.jpg (540x474, 32K)

A treatise on post colonialism

Finished editing a short story just a bit ago. Now I don't know what to do with it.

Burn it

Im writing a sorta scifi/sword and sorcery cross over novel. Basically, a working stiff on a drilling rig on europa gets transported to another world, that is a mix of aztec architecture and culture, with some futuristic technology
But Im trying to decide if its even worth writing it. I doubt I could get it published right off, and all the "post your work here to get discovered" sites are full of scifi romance number 5000

>transported to another world

Stories like that usually work best if the world the protagonist is coming from is similar to the reader's world. Unless there is some important narrative reason I would drop the sci-fi framing device.

>page 10
>no fewer than 6 /r9k/ threads up
disgraceful.

1/3 done battle. Established a pretty good strategy for them to use, since I can't find anything specified in the material. Combined a basic feint with the bridge strategy Xerxes tried to use in the Greco Persian wars, since it takes place with a river separating the armies. I think the main weapons are mostly polearms and bows. Quarters are too tight for horses.

Attached: 66586269_p3_master1200.jpg (595x664, 96K)

make sure to overload it with neckbeard-nostalgia and I'm sure to see you on every best seller list on the planet soon, my friend.

is it a good idea about your family members and stuff so that your future nephews and shit have some family history to read about?

It's written. And it's pretty damned good. My last novel was almost entirely battles and I'm glad I had that experience. I carried over the terror and confusion pretty well even writing by wing. For once in my life I didn't have to kill any named characters.
I just have one other scene to write, which should be pretty simple, and a few edits, then the draft will be done.

Attached: 0a3885f82f88b25493609422d5768327.jpg (362x604, 46K)

Good luck. It feels great to finish something.

Thank you. From here out the rest is just cleaning and improvements. This is a good feel. A month ago all I had was 20k or so words of notes and a few trial scenes. Now I have a nearly complete novel and I'm the only one in the world who has read it. Writing is fun.
I'll probably go to the library and pay $10 to print it out next week for second-round proofreading.

Attached: 6b8bb83807e2437970e4797c5ba27fb2.jpg (480x480, 39K)

Monster Girl Quest fanfiction. It gets crossed-over with other stupid animes and vidjas and the like.

How do I overcome "I should start again, because if I write it X way it will be so much better!" syndrome?

I have tens of 5000-word openings abandoned in my google drive because of constant restarts leading to eventual boredom and dropping the idea.

Realize that you'll never finish anything if you keep doing that. I've seen someone say perfectionism will get you nowhere in the art critique board, and I believe this applies to writing as well. Until you've become experienced enough to even attempt writing a perfect book, you should not fixate on writing something in a way that you perceive is perfect.

Christ, same here mate. It's hell feeling like nothing I write will be worth shit, and then taking a break after writing a couple thousand words, just to then start something completely new. Once I find out myself how to stop this, I'll let you know.

Do you expect a weightlifter to break world records by just sitting around and occasionally going to the gym? Sharpen your craft. Time is ticking and your self doubt will only waste your life away if not kept in check. Use your self doubt to pick up on your mistakes, but do not allow it to hinder your progress.

Attached: Screenshot (38).png (1710x1405, 1.08M)

I try hard to do the opposite of what I think a weightlifter would do in any given situation.

Ah, I see. you're quite the fool, then. Those men and women have achieved great feats of self improvement. What they do might seem barbaric, but the necessary willpower to do such things is more than you think. You, on the other hand, cannot even muster the courage to write a story. You'll never make it at this rate. Spend less time feeling sorry for yourself, perhaps. I'll be doing that for you.

"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."

>Those men and women have achieved great feats of self improvement
I don't value what they've accomplished and I'm surprised that anybody does, really. Consequently, I don't perceive their feats as great.

Weightlifting is a route to social prestige for those whose other avenues are closed off.

>You, on the other hand, cannot even muster the courage to write a story.
I've written several stories. I'm just not happy with them. You, on the other hand, seem perfectly happy with what you've managed to accomplish, which is I suppose a more damning indictment than I could have ever hoped to deliver.

Attached: 1531768190211.jpg (400x459, 42K)

What would you guys think about historical fiction set in West Francia? I’m thinking about the main character as someone who lives on the coast in West Francia and gets abducted by Viking raiders, and building it from there, a story about his experiences or some such. Thoughts?

As someone not particularly interested in Vikings or West Francia, what's the hook? What sells the story other than the setting?

Bear in mind that most of your audience isn't going to care about Vikings or West Francia either, if you're going for a mass market. If you're writing for a niche community of enthusiasts that's cool, but don't expect a lot of feedback from them.

In all honesty I haven’t given it much thought, I studied the period of about 700-900 A.D in West Francia quite extensively, I’m living in China for at least a year or maybe two so I wanted to get into writing and expand my activities, as I always enjoyed writing academic stuff, but so far the idea is just a very basic thought.

I'm far from happy with my writings. I am not an accomplished writer nor an extremely talented one, but at the very least I'm not pretentious or cowardly like you.

>I don't value what they've accomplished and I'm surprised that anybody does, really.

That's hilarious coming from someone who considers himself a writer. Struggles are what most literature is based around. Human struggle, namely. They went through excruciating mental and physical difficulty for themselves and for the nations they represent (I am speaking of Olympic weightlifting). A gormless weakling like you would crumble so easily under such immense pressure, yet you laugh at it from a distance because you know you'll never have to go through it.

It's funny that in this case your physical ability is limited, so you immerse yourself into a mental craft. You are essentially the polar opposite of sportsmen, but somehow you think that makes you better than them. Men of true worth are both scholars and champions of strength. Alexander the great, Ceaser, Socrates, Michelangelo and so many more. I pity you, worthless creature that you are. I'll have a drink for you tonight. A toast to yet another human who will die nameless and unaccomplished.

Attached: Screenshot (136).png (615x652, 235K)

>Stories like that usually work best if the world the protagonist is coming from is similar to the reader's world. Unless there is some important narrative reason I would drop the sci-fi framing device.
Well, the reason he finds it is that he works underwater, welding, on Europa and the portal is underwater
My gameplan was to make the space station less exciting, as its just him working and going to the bar on the station, etc. Normal life, as one would see once man became advanced enough
But then, maybe that's a bad idea. I was thinkin I might work in that the company that he works for had been screwing around there.

This must be bait. Weightlifting pumps so much blood and whatever else is in the blood into your brain that you cannot help but have ideas burst forth and the energies to execute them. Maybe you don't like it, but weightlifting is prayer and meditation and spirituality. I pity someone who does not know the private mantras spoken mysteriously to the unknown, to the strange restorations and rebirths and the great cathartic, purgative and constructive elements of all physicality, all exercise, but most of all weightlifting. There is no opponent but your self. All your supposed anything compressed into the most simple, graceful, human mechanics, that once you have mastered the mere safety of the movements, the proper stances, grips, sequences, have trained on slight variations of each so you have a sense of your own personal calibration, your own best attempt, often as much superstition and ritual but a ritual completely your own, something only you do then, for this act of lifting something heavy, an act you will only do a very small number of times compared to everything else in your life, an act made sacred because of this rarity, but also because of what you feel, the scandal of it, the beauty and serenity, but also the climax, the sense of completing a form proficiently, feeling in you what many a better athlete felt during a similar practice, humbly pantomiming the ancestral statuaries in complete sincerity, sweating and shaking awkardly, fighting back bile and all manner of embarrassing repeats of past failures, but being in that moment the most pure, the most energized, the most true to it all, computing in that motion a meaning of, "Does he have it today?" "Is today the day?" "Is he ready?" "Is he good enough?" "Can he ever do it?" "Why doesn't he give up?" "He will surely give up soon." "What foolishness!" And that is what you wrestle with directly, not with pharmaceuticals, not with psychology, not with hymns or song but the construction of something, the devouring of entropy, the ordering of all the mess into a smooth motion, of all the doubts and sinister vicissitudes meaning absolutely nothing because the weight is far more heavy than any other externality could ever be and it is the most holy of tools, giving the gift of betterment to the student, to the humblest of lifters the most generosity, and it is this tool that you answer to, this weight and god, nothing else matters.

>They went through excruciating mental and physical difficulty for themselves and for the nations they represent
Effort without achievement.

>Men of true worth are both scholars and champions of strength.
Men of true worth solve problems. They come in all shapes and sizes, but the one thing they have in common is that their actions make an impact in the lives of others by helping them overcome real challenges. An olympic weightlifter is no more capable of solving real problems than a latte-sipping skeleton blogging about #therevolution from the comfort of his local #Starbucks. I'd like to see you meme about Dr Fred Hollows isn't a "man of true worth" because he's a bit flabby around the middle in his old age while he was restoring eyesight to blind people in developing countries. How many olympic lifts is the sight of a child worth? What is it - two hundred blind children per personal best?

No, I'm not saying I'm Dr Hollows. What I'm saying is that weightlifting is a self-aggrandising and narcissistic activity. It helps nobody, and yet people parade around like peacocks begging for blowjobs for how good they are at picking up heavy things and then putting them down in the exact same place. Your average wetback methhead removalist helps more people with his strength and endurance than the olympic athletes whose arses you are crawling up. People lift weights because they want the easy 'respect' (i.e. prestige) that comes from being physically imposing and because it doesn't take a huge amount of brainpower to succeed. If you're not very clever and not very skilled, but you spend a few years lifting weights, people like you will crawl out of the woodwork to suck your dick because they're sycophants susceptible to the halo effect.

I don't care about the nonexistent inherent virtues of man you are trying to peddle. I care about what others can do for me - and what I can do for others.

Cry more, child.

Attached: 1544892894104.png (576x597, 7K)

I have a similar problem in that I often fall in love with settings and then struggle to find characters and stories to fit in them.

I'm writing a book that doesn't really fit into any genre. Not that it's necessarily profound or innovative there's just not a good way of characterizing it. Will this make it harder to sell?

Lifting/fitness takes (and creates) discipline and the will to endure pain which is what these men advertise. It can be a legitimate expression of a virtue. Yes, it will be practiced more by people who might not be able to compete in cognitive ability but how does that concern you? Should they solely compete in a hierarchy where they are disadvantaged, why should they do you this favor?

Attached: Breker1.jpg (500x387, 22K)

The year is 58J5 and the world is run by robots. One robot, sir XJ52 is at the computer desk. He inserts his digital robot penis into the computer for fun.
DOWNLOADING
The computer downloaded the robots big robot penis and he finished his paperwork. Just then, the robot police came in through the door by kicking it in.
HANDS UP OR I"LL SHOOT
The robot sudenly realized his computer wasn't his old computer because he told his secratary to buy a new one the night before.
HAND UP FOR UNDERAGE COMPUTER SEX
The robot threw himself against the window and it broke sending him outside the window. "Wow," he thought, "if I was a human I would have gotten all cut up in the glass."
And then, the chase was on.

An academic novel from the perspective of a undergraduate student. 70 pages in and it's all shit.

>Effort without achievement
Did you read a single thing I said? You're more of an idiot than I could have hoped for.

>They come in all shapes and sizes
You're damn right they do, but you're stance is rejecting this.

>Dr Fred Hollows isn't a "man of true worth" because he's a bit flabby around the middle in his old age while he was restoring eyesight to blind people in developing countries. How many olympic lifts is the sight of a child worth? What is it - two hundred blind children per personal best?

I will admit I was a bit harsh on that, but obviously not. If your dedication to helping others gets in the way of your physical advancement, then that's a completely different scenario altogether. So if Dr. Fred hollows also decided to be a weightlifter, would you scoff at his desire to do so? From the way you speak, the answer is yes. You're absolutely downplaying the fight with personal inner demons such as self doubt and the willpower to keep pushing forward no matter how difficult the situation. This is especially true in combat sports, where you put your actual life on the line to display to the world how far the human soul can go. It's art, it's literature, it's everything. Villain vs Hero, Hero vs Hero even. Two humans with opposing ideologies and goals clashing in a what can only be described as a whirlwind of catharsis.

>Parade around like peacocks
Sounds more like social media fitness celebrities to me. You're parading like a peacock right now, acting as if you are better than all these people as a human jut because you THINK they're dumb. Your ego far exceeds that of the average person. You're like a 30 year old on reddit playing in his pile of shit and trying to convince everyone of how smart you are.

>Respect the easy way
Again, you call it easy, but it's anything but. Come back to me when you break any physical world record or even come close to being a contender. You just watch from the sidelines and assume you know everything that goes into it.

>People like you will suck their dicks and are syncopaths
Funny thing is I'm not even a big fan of weight lifting. I can't name more than a single weightlifter, but I've done enough research to know the nuanced complexities of the sport.

>I don't care about the nonexistent inherent virtues of man you are trying to peddle. I care about what others can do for me - and what I can do for others.
And what exactly will you do for anyone? I can't imagine someone so self absorbed and toxic actually helping someone. I can imagine a scenario of you being in danger and some weightlifter helps you. They saved you, yet on the inside you laugh at what they do for a living. I don't think you care about any virtue at all, really. You're a farce, if anything.

>Cry more, child
Ah, so someone bites back and it's crying, is it? Do you want me to go away? Have I injured you, lass? It's not surprise that you can't handle criticism.

Attached: batmayne.png (388x581, 92K)

>Lifting/fitness takes (and creates) discipline and the will to endure pain which is what these men advertise
I'm sceptical of the transference of such discipline into other areas of life, as most people I see who work out do not particularly have their shit more together than anyone else. Lifting is only painful if you do it wrong.

>Yes, it will be practiced more by people who might not be able to compete in cognitive ability but how does that concern you?
If it's mostly done by idiots, that suggests to me a conclusion.

>Should they solely compete in a hierarchy where they are disadvantaged, why should they do you this favor?
The point is that I don't particularly respect weightlifters for a host of good reasons, and I find your arguments on their behalf to be more of the pre-packed nu-conservative schtick about manly men doing manly things and cultivating manly virtues without ever having to consider how charity, sacrifice, or doing things for others instead of themselves figures into the good life. It's not about competing in hierarchies, it's about whether weightlifting is virtuous. And it's not. It's just another manifestation of the inculcated liberal ideology that the world beyond your fingertips does not exist, and is as tiresome as the rest. We have a poor world because people in wealthy countries cannot see beyond their borders, we have disastrous foreign policy because our leaders cannot see beyond the range of their longest weapon, and we have trivial civil society because people cannot see beyond the edge of their own nose except to gaze at navels.

Do more with your life than lift weights.

Now, is this the last word on weightlifting? No. Physical training, of which weightlifting is a part, has a host of benefits for you. But it's not the end of the world if you don't do it. And weightlifters - i.e., the people especially dedicated to the task - are not ubermensch. They are, if anything, untermensch. Broad shoulders and narrow minds.

I think that everything that needs to be said on this topic has now been said, but I'm open to anything else you want to add.

>If it's mostly done by idiots
Post some proof, nigger.

>Do more with your life than lift weights
Wow I didn't know becoming a sportman meant you had to only do sports

You really blather on about a bunch of shit to hide the fact that you're a egotistical guy. I'll say it for the third time. It's not about being a BIG MANLY MEN, it's about struggle.

>Did you read a single thing I said?
Would that I had not made the mistake.

>You're damn right they do, but you're stance is rejecting this.
I aim to respect people on the basis of their achievements. Their shape or size is (should be) irrelevant to me. I would respect a weightlifter, on an individual basis, the same as anyone else, i.e. on the basis of what they have done for others.

However, as a class, weightlifters are - like actors, athletes, or celebrities - parasitic and useless human beings.

>You're absolutely downplaying the fight with personal inner demons
I care about outer demons and how to fix them.

>This is especially true in combat sports, where you put your actual life on the line to display to the world how far the human soul can go. It's art, it's literature, it's everything. Villain vs Hero, Hero vs Hero even. Two humans with opposing ideologies and goals clashing in a what can only be described as a whirlwind of catharsis.
It's two chimps whacking each other and the last one to fall down 'wins'. An opportunity for personal growth, perhaps - I'd like to pick up some combat sports - but that's all.

>Come back to me when you break any physical world record or even come close to being a contender.
To break any physical world record at this point requires as much luck as being born into fortunes. The only people in contention are genetic freaks. Neither of us will ever break any physical world records even if we put in equal effort to the current recordholders.

>And what exactly will you do for anyone?
I provide through my company pro bono legal services to indigent clients who did not qualify for legal aid. I make a real difference in people's lives case by case. I have kept families together, kept people out gaol, and fought for workers to get their entitlements after industrial accidents. I have participated in compensation claims for families whose houses are falling down around them.

>I can't imagine someone so self absorbed and toxic actually helping someone.
That's because you are committed to believing the worst about me because I insulted your husbandos.

>Post some proof, nigger.
Why? The post I replied to conceded the point.

>Wow I didn't know becoming a sportman meant you had to only do sports
I don't respect people for being sportsmen no matter their level of involvement in the sport, whether you do it as a hobby or a living.

Idk why I'm so scared of writing. It's been 2 years since I've written and every time I try to write I cringe and quit

Attached: 1554399646042.jpg (226x223, 35K)

Funny that you care about outer demons while being one yourself. You call people parasites and chimps based solely on their involvement in physical activities. Are you really so far gone that you think most of them don't donate to charities/ help their communities? Most athletes do, plagued fool!

>Genetic freaks
WOW, IT IS...ALMOST AS IF...SMART PEOPLE ARE BORN SMARTER THAN THE AVERAGE PERSON. Would you call them genetic freaks too? For someone who holds himself in such high regard how fucking stupid can you be, dude?!?! Come on. I'm not even mad at this point, just baffled.

Strength is genetics + hard work and conditions. Intelligence is genetics + hard work and conditions. It's that simple, user!

>Husbando
I knew you were a weeb. Classic, simply delicious. Good for you that you provide legal work, but son you get paid to do it. It's your job and I 100% doubt you went into that job with the main intent of helping people. Obviously people need to work to live, but don't use it as some kind of defense as if it means anything about your kindness. Either way, even a sociopath can help others just to seem like a good person.

There's nothing worse than a self-righteous douchebag. You seem to lack all self-awareness.

>You call people parasites and chimps based solely on their involvement in physical activities.
I called the class of professional athletes and professional actors parasites, and I called combat sports two chimps hitting each other. I never called a particular person a chimp or a parasite.

>Are you really so far gone that you think most of them don't donate to charities/ help their communities?
Yes, I think that most of them make at best a token effort to do things for others.

>Most athletes do
I doubt that. I think that some athletes put in a half-arsed effort to fulfil some social responsibility clause of their contract by doing a 20-second spot on TV that costs them nothing, and achieve very little in the process.

>Would you call them genetic freaks too?
Yes.

>Strength is genetics + hard work and conditions. Intelligence is genetics + hard work and conditions.
Obviously, and I don't suck anyone's dick simply for being smart either.

>but son you get paid to do it.
NIGGER DO YOU FUCKING KNOW WHAT PRO BONO MEANS

This, and then print another copy

Attached: image.jpg (653x539, 53K)

Writing a story about a Mother Goddess, Dionysus, a carnival of madness, a wedding, the end of the universe, a prostitue, and a magician.

Yeah, you called an entire group of people chimps and parasites. Even worse, dumbass.

>I doubt that
I've seen it myself. The reason you don't hear about it is because they don't want to seem like they're doing it for publicity lmao.

>and I don't suck anyone's dick for being smart either
Flat out LIE, user. You heavily favor those who you think are smart or else this conversation wouldn't have gone the way it did. You wouldn't care if athletes were stupid or not if all you cared about was someone helping others

I know what pro bono means. Just because someone doesn't pay for a service doesn't mean you're not getting paid to help that company that hired you. I was a caretaker for my dad for 2 years and the government paid me to do so.

Give us a more indepth idea of what it's about

>wake up on day off
>begin to browse phone immediately
>banner on /r9k/ arouses me
>go to /gif/ and masturbate
>get up and have a coffee
>listen to MMA media on youtube to recap yesterdays fight card while I cook breakfast
>sit down and watch an episode of curb your enthusiasm
>play the Sims 4 and to live the fantasy of being a successful writer
>masturbate again
>brew coffee ready to start writing since it is my day off after all
>get on Yea Forums and begin to browse GOT threads since they have lots of memes
>decide to browse Yea Forums instead
>coffee finished
>word still not even opened

not sure how this happened... I've descended deep deep into a funk when compared to last year I was on an amazing writing streak and altogether had my life completely on track. I'm basically a goblin living in a cave at this point.

>Yeah, you called an entire group of people chimps and parasites.
Sure, and an entire group of people can be chimps and parasites without all of them being chimps and parasites, and I maintain the ability to judge people on their individual merits while also being able to recognise the probability that any particular person from that class that I judge in their individual merits will not measure up. I perceive these classes as chimps and parasites because most of them are. However, I would never treat a particular person that I had power over based on their class, because I would have the ability to treat them as an individual.

>I've seen it myself.
I haven't.

>You heavily favor those who you think are smart
Or perhaps smart people simply achieve more.

Correlation is not causation, user. Let's do a thought experiment: if I think doctors are generally pretty great, and doctors happen to be smart, does that mean I think doctors are great because they are smart? Of course not - it's possible that I think doctors are great because they save lives, and it just so happens that you need to be smart to do that.

But I'm under no illusions of how pathetic smart people can be. I'm a lawfag, after all.

>You wouldn't care if athletes were stupid or not if all you cared about was someone helping others
I don't care that athletes are stupid. I care about people like you who vaunt them for their nonachievements. I've written two long posts about this which you have wholly ignored/forgotten. I lay my position out in excruciating detail here and here . The problem was never athletes - they're no more offensive than any other type of self-absorbed narcissist. The problem is the unmerited praise they attract from people who mistake effort for achievement. From people like you.

>Just because someone doesn't pay for a service doesn't mean you're not getting paid to help that company that hired you.
I own the company. It comes out of my pockets directly. Every solicitor who does pro bono work is one less solicitor accruing billable hours. In fact I generally compensate solicitors for doing pro bono work if they ask or want to do more than required, because I want to encourage people to do it. Now, it's a very small company - only three solicitors and me - but it's what I have and I do with it what I can.

Anyway, as I said before, I think that everything that needs to be said here has been said. Feel free to continue posting but I think I will now call it quits.

envy.

No offense but that sounds terribly uninteresting

Can you fucksticks leave the board and end your lives? Seriously. No one cares about your bitching, please give each other your kik and finish the conversation/masturbation there.

I regret giving you advice, honestly. For the sake of the thread and my sanity I'll also stop here. It was very unpleasant speaking to you.

Attached: angry robbie.png (1903x1440, 984K)

good name, unironically

I work in publishing. if it's sci-fi, it is not enough. if it's genre, other than sci-fi, 60k is on the very low end, and possibly not enough. below 50k would be a novella. I would add more

DOWNLOADING

Stop mastrubating

THIS. Can we please talk about literature and writing?

I would like a writing prompt. Thanks to anyone who does that. Say - what if a man discovered he's suddenly blind one morning.

Attached: 1555189349806.jpg (2000x1334, 796K)

*text vomit*

Beryul the agamyot was an extraordinary organism composed of worlberan and agamyotic DNA; agamyotic not only from the single drone that Beryul's flesh had become amalgamated with, but also from the larvae that had worked on Beryul's new but failing form. Those larvae served to pacify the worlberan immune system from destroying the agamyotic DNA by hijacking Beryul's brain and hardwiring it to produce newer antibodies that followed a different order: eradicate the older antibodies and tolerate the worlberan/agamyotic mixture. After this was implemented, the larvae were rendered inert. However, this would not be their end. When the agamyot producer that had been exposed to Beryul's brain had experienced a telepathic effect from it, a premonition it received from it was that Beryul's organism was capable of creating a livelihood for the agamyot. Because Beryul was originally a worlber, a creature of shape-shifting capability that worked with assimilating the...

And that's today's progress.

Attached: 67r56h4trebfv.png (1165x703, 1.5M)

what medium do you prefer?
most of the time i type on my phone like a retard, but i enjoy writing by hand a lot.

Attached: IMG_20190405_193243.jpg (2080x1560, 240K)

I'm writing an urban fantasy about a female soldier's incestuous obsession with her mother in a city occupied by a foreign super power.

I wanted to write smut, but it somehow became a study on nationalism vs globalism, the translucent nature of human contact in modern society, and whether the end actually justifies the means.

Historical romance. I've been reading that the golden point is 80k. I can try to add more scenes and descriptions and bump it up to 70-75k, maybe. Getting auto-rejections for being too lazy to add some more content would be the worst.
Work never ends. Well, I already have ideas for at least 3 scenes I could add, one for each of the 3 major characters. That should get me most of the way there.

Attached: 63252359_p8.jpg (955x879, 638K)

what are your influences?

Grammar Question:

Is it comma splicing when I say:
>He was really x and, from y to z, he knew b.

or should it be:
>He was really x and from y to z he knew b.

I'd write
>He was really x, and from y to z he knew b
but I don't know anything

I just use word mostly, but I maked notes in a physical noetpad sometimes. I don't think the medium even matters that much though.

If you tone down the incest to subtext it could work, otherwise, no one will publish it.

I'm working on a novel, but I'm about to send my short story to the trunk. The short story is about a disgraced ghostbuster that helps a family look for a missing child in the woods. There's some supernatural horror, some edgy stuff, but I think people mostly like it for the ghostbuster himself, he tells a nice ghost story that gives a good idea how ghostbusters work in this world.

Here it is. It's about six thousand words.

pastebin.com/h4BNUCVb

Huh

user said literally nothing about the plot you retard

you never wonder what you great-great grandfather and his family was like etc? or is that too self centered

I think you accidentally a sentence user

I keep practising Cervantes' language. Any hispanoparlantes care to judge this?

pastebin.com/tDTpxwS6

Serious question?
A lot of stuff, much of which isn't " Yea Forums ".
You might cringe.
BOOKS: the bible, the silmarillion, paradise lost, the poetic edda
GAMES: legend of dragoon, final fantasy tactics, zelda, todd mcfarlane's spawn (snes), diablo 1 & 2, starcraft 1, resident evil 1 & 2 & 3
MOVIES: the lord of the rings, alien, aliens, alien 3, conan the barbarian, independence day, legends of the fall
SHOWS: fullmetal alchemist, dragonball z, trigun
ARTISTS: wayne barlowe, h.r. giger
yes, MUSIC as well: european metal, mostly. Too many things to list. Stuff that is clearly inspired by cinema or videogames.

>being on Yea Forums
>still watching tv/movies and playing vidya gaymes
Just why?

Fuck, I forgot about Dune (the movie, not the book. I read the book much later)
I rarely play videogames anymore, save for a campaign of starsector every year or some 4X space run. The only "t.v." I watch now is youtube, and mostly for music. And the only movie on my radar is the upcoming Dune.

The protagonist doesn't even see her mother until the very end, and the evolution of their relationship is mainly told through brief flashbacks. I think it turned out pretty family-friendly, against all intentions.

I'm writing a song about the way things used to be and the way they are now. Like a nostalgic walk around your old neighborhood; then it reminds you how things are going now. I feel this way a lot.

I'm writing my memoirs of living abroad, mostly because I want to make sure I don't forget bits of it as the years go by.

Put as compactly as possible, it is a story about a small band of pan American socialist revolutionaries marching across the shattered continent from the peripheral fields of the great plains to and later up the east coast in search of a place where they can realize their vision.

I'm 23k words into my first draft, which is around ten percent of the way through.
I use Google docs for everything because I often switch between devices. I've used my phone to type most of what I have so far. Hopefully i can get a computer soon.

how do i stop being embarrassed by my writing

I spent 7 years working on a 350 page story. First draft finished in two months, second draft on and off for the rest of that time. Should not have taken that long but I kept making lame excuses and putting it off during my undergrad to grad years.

It is completely mediocre.

Just autism but that isn't "7 years". The time doesn't count unless you're working on it at least every 2-3 days for a few hours. I have a draft I set on the back-burner for two years...I haven't spend 2+ years working on it.
Embrace the embarrassment. normies put their shit front and center all the time with no shame at all, and they get ahead in life because of it.

>felt terrible all day, did nothing
>think I should get to work, start writing short story
>everything sounds terrible and stiff
>just lethargic, have brainfog
>don't want to work on novel improvements today
>9 hours of sleep, 3 cups of coffee, still tired all day
What suffering. At least with the new season starting there's a bunch of new fanart. Short story involves having a bad day and then watching someone get hit by a car. Based on my experiences around the city. Haven't seen a ped get hit yet but a lot of almosts. The cars just don't stop, you know? I think it's sick they'd rather commit murder than wait at a redlight one block closer than the redlight the next street over. Everyone on this earth feels like a demon wearing a human mask, sometimes. I'm pretty sure I'm in hell. At least I have cute 2d boys.

Attached: 99798e24bcb3937a1b837ec3ae086e66.jpg (650x718, 43K)

I am working on a novel series. I am currently writing a short story about an actor in a culture of avian folk. He is what is called a "Dead Face", basically a clown that portrays a historical figure meant to be use to satirize the living. He plays Dead Faces of idiots and children, and is he himself believe to be of simple mind. He observes something he should not and is gripped by fear and conspiracy.

>Just autism but that isn't "7 years"

You're right, I should just see it as '7 years wasted'. I like writing but I haven't started forming the proper mindset and habits to actually be productive until recently (hence finishing the work just recently). Planning to start a new project.

I am autistic so while I am writing I am also creating extensive history, maps, population statistics, speculative biology, religions, etc. for my stuff. Does anyone wanna see my maps?

Post em senpai

Attached: Continent_Labeling.png (4099x2158, 3.48M)

Attached: World_Map_No_Texture_High_Saturation_High_Contrast_High_Brightness.jpg (4096x2160, 1.61M)

Dunno why I expect people on Yea Forums to know but what's the step between self publishing short stories and shit online and becoming an actual writer? All the literary journals I looked at were both terrible and had a total readership of five aging boomers, so that seems out. I've read often that you need to have a "presence" and following before bigboi publishers will even begin to consider you, but how do you build that? Even on lebbit the only people I've seen do that are people who write retarded YA-tier replies to /r/writingthreads posts that catch on because >reddit. I mean, given enough desperation I will attempt to do something similar but I'd really rather not.

Alternatively, how do I accept that I will never have a readership beyond a handful of people online and adjust my work accordingly?

I can only write contemporary stuff when I'm extremely emotional or in "the mood". Havent wrote something in a month, only stuff I like writing about otherwise is amateur commentary on philo. and some horror stuff. I'd make an excuse and say im really tired but its really laziness and procrastination.

user was supposed to be making the Yea Forums publishing house for us to take that step. he said something about it not being open until june though, there's a lot of work for it I guess. just keep lurking Yea Forums, he'll probably make a thread.

where'd you live?
i wanted to do that but it never worked out. health problems, money problems. huge bother. i think my health is getting worse, too. always lightheaded and my grey-outs (not true blackouts, i just fall down) are getting longer. used to take 10 seconds now take 30-60 to clear up. i don't want to deal with it in a foreign language.

I know that feel, I literally cannot write unless I am "in the mood" or inspired. Its erractic, I can go 3 days in a row where there is a 3 hour peroid every day of this feeling and then go a month without it. I have found a way recently though to guarentee it, it is really simple to be honest if your interested.

At this point, from my point of view you really ought to just write what you want and not for an audiance unless your wanna do soul crushing YA trite bullshit and spend 5k in add on amazon just to make a small enough profit to live off of. Other then that you really gotta either be a) (((connected))) or b) black swan lottery. Basically you write something that for unknown reasons blows the fuck up IE harry shitter, twilight, hunger games GoT etc. Most of this is YA BS though and GoT is fantasy-lite porn so again, kinda soul crushing if your trying for a black swan.
Such huge maps are scary to think about trying to write for. Look at LOTR, the entire thing takes place on the west coast and inland neighbours. IMO a big world / story doesn't mean a good one. Of course that doesn't mean its bad either

Sorry for health problems user
>Yea Forums publishing house
sounds like a recipe for disaster desu, this place is literally "NAZI MEETING PLACE" to the masses you would be commiting career suicide if you ever let a single person in the press know you are affiliated with this site

THIEVES
THEIVES
STEALING MY THOUGHTS
GIVE THEM BACK
THEY ARE MIND
MIND I TELL YOU MINE

>Such huge maps are scary to think about trying to write for. Look at LOTR, the entire thing takes place on the west coast and inland neighbours. IMO a big world / story doesn't mean a good one. Of course that doesn't mean its bad either
The whole map is not was is involved in the story, but large portions of it is. The reason I wanna do this is because it's the just what I feel like I wanna write.

There will be quality control and it won't literally say Yea Forums anywhere on the site. Anyway Yea Forums isn't /pol/.

you could have fooled me since Notre Dame

pls no bully us because of crossboarders

>At this point, from my point of view you really ought to just write what you want and not for an audiance
I struggle with this even if I agree with the sentiment. I feel like any work I seriously dedicate myself to should have some tangible utility to others, even if the result of my work was just a slim volume "collected stories of user" that a couple people read and enjoy. My current approach seems pointless. The video game mods I made as a teenager had more utility simply by the virtue that people used them.

Dude... You kinda sound like me lol. Go ahead and write it and dont be scared

Nice man. Good too finish it sooner rather later. Gotta hit that dusty trail again ammaright?

Damn, good shit lad. That kind of ind depth world building is usually an indication that you're passionate about the story, and that's a good thing. But yeah, as the other user said, be careful not to over complicate things

What ideas are being stolen from you? A lot of ideas may be unique in nuances, but the general theme could extremely similar.

It's happened to me about 3 times in 7 years. Out of the 3, 2 of them were from pretty successful stories, so it warms me knowing I might be onto something.