I assume everyone here has read most of these?

I assume everyone here has read most of these?

Attached: a.jpg (1498x861, 1.18M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._John's_College_(Annapolis/Santa_Fe)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_St._John's_College_(Annapolis/Santa_Fe)_people
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I actually go to that school haha

in awe of this curricula
absolute trivium

What a trash list. I've never seen so many g*rmans and *ngloids collected in one place before. It's pretentious pseudery with no notions of quality. that was written by a desperately larping brainlet.
Please convey my post to whoever composed that. tell him some user said he ought to toss himself down a stormdrain headfirst.

do they test you on it?

very US centric, also a weird selection of philosophy (so much fucking descartes). Too much old shit in general

some of these choices are bizarre

Brainlet

The music is a bit odd in the third year. The three classical greats, cool. But then Monteverdi and Stravinsky? I can think of some connections but it otherwise seems odd.

They just ask you to write papers on them. No tests per se

what school?

I’m gonna go there starting this fall. Cool to see other people on here who know about such a patrician school

>santa fe
ohhh

Annapolis or Santa Fe?

This school is simply humanitardism taken to its logical extreme. It's like sticking your head in the sand and pretending the scientific revolution never took place. Mathematics, physics, and computer science are all better taught through practice, not reading large blocks of text.

I'm sure it's better than the vast majority of humanities degrees at other colleges but Principia Mathematica lol.

Annapolis

Link? I can't find this on wikipedia

Yes, of course. The sad thing is that 4-5x that amount reading is what’s really required just to have a decent grounding

Unironically yes. HIST major with PHIL minor master race.

not even close. BA literae humaniores at oxford.

boldfaced lies

Good list overall but some of the choices just seem weird honestly, especially Go Down Moses for Faulkner.

I also can't imagine just jumping into capital if they read the whole thing, and Heraclitus should be somewhere on there.

For Faulkner, it depends on the class. Some of the classes read As I Lay Dying, The Sound and The Fury etc.

Heraclitus is also read in freshman year

I haven't read a single one and I'm not going to. Deal with it, nerds!

>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._John's_College_(Annapolis/Santa_Fe)
>school is known for its distinctive curriculum of books
>school seal is just a pile of books
>motto is just puns on the Latin word for "book"
lmao this is way too much, this can't be real

at least read shakespeare. please. please!

They used to shill on here a few years back.

>>motto is just puns on the Latin word for "book"
>Facio liberos ex liberis libris libraque
aaaaaaaaahhhhh

They "read" Stravinsky and Hadyn?

The list doesn't even seem to progress in any way. It just looks like random stuff thrown together.

how come it doesn't note the translations? or do you have to know 6 or 7 languages

>consequently, students address one another, as well as their teachers, by their honorific and last name during class.

autismus

larping being european baka

You're required to learn Greek and Latin, iirc, but I forget whether or not you're also required to pick up a musical instrument

French too

Monteverdi wrote first regularly performed opera "l'orfeo"

I know a guy who graduated from one of those great books program, the one right after st john's in prestige. he writes the weirdest "poetry" i've ever seen

Do they make them suffer through the entire summa? Poor souls.

no, reading is for fags

and Das Kapital too. What the fuck

I don't think I have the discipline to read all of those books back to back every semester. If I did, I'd probably end up hating literature.

>supreme court opinions
This is what the non-fiction only "fiction is for retards" cancer on Yea Forums unironically views as the pinnacle of literature.

>yuppies

Attached: 1554096951891.jpg (800x662, 85K)

lol at the idea of reading and comprehending the entire bible in a year

0% chance most of the class isn't just reading Wikipedia all year instead. Cut the size in half at least, then they might actually have enough time to get interested in some thing.

you either comprehend it or you don't there's no time limit

I only pretend to have read these

i think they just read chapters from each book that solidifies the wide variety that the university is trying to push. if they're lucky they might read an entire fiction novel on that list or the shorter philosophical works. it doesn't seem that bad if you're intelligent enough to figure out what you want to specialize in after you get done slogging through all those tomes

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_St._John's_College_(Annapolis/Santa_Fe)_people

no good writers

that's like an entire 4 years of intro to philosophy. sounds like a nightmare

They should really cut out all of them and just read Epicurus and Max Stirner.

That is a lot of reading. Any man who takes in all of those books for all they are worth, will have reached a fairly sophisticated level of literary knowledge. I am in fact very skeptical that most students would ever truly absorb all of those works.

Didn't mean to reply to this post btw.

>essays by James D. Watson
Are they /our school/?

they're all just books. i think it's stupid, it's a bland uninspired reading list clearly put together by people who aren't that clever they've just took from what other people have said. there are books on there that (it seems to me) they feel like they HAVE to put on there. what can you get out of a school like that.

there are writers who have wrote more books than that. this is robert graves bibliography (minus his translations of other books) and i think there are more good books on this list to be honest

Attached: Capture.jpg (1732x758, 346K)

get ready to get addicted to meth like everyone else in that shithole

Sounds like they’re not a very selective school

what's that teacher you want me to read the hebrew bible *throws the hebrew bible at the wall really hard*

Attached: checkmate.gif (300x360, 2.96M)

Even though I'm only scratching around the edges of whatever this thing is, I feel quite happy that my personal educational track over the past few years hews closely to whatever this is.

-did a hyper-autistic analysis of the American founding documents, it's left for now but I want to revisit it and improve it in the future
-actively researched very early Supreme Court opinions very recently, discovered the United States Reports both at a hometown and local law library (they agree as to content, now I know how to search effectively using library of congress and how to look up SCOTUS case law, will consider reading cases for pleasure in the future.)
-have an active interest in the edgy French poets and have Fleurs du Mal "on deck", when I get around to it
-recently re-read Descartes' Discourse, have his Geometry (recently ordered) ready to go as well and scratched at the first few pages but this is backed-up by Cardano and Euclid (I have a philology file about the frontispiece in Heath's Euclid (a D'orville IIRC manuscript), wanted to fully appreciate that before starting (again), want to read the full history as a full adult now)
-have a copy of the Summa (it's all invalid crap), nothing to fear, fun to have handy
-local libraries have the Conics but I'm too backed-up ofc, fun to know(?) it's a New Mexico press that puts out the good volume.
-have dad's Dante with loving Dore illustrations, I wanna just read it and bring it back to him, permanently
-that early item by "Harvey" on the motion of heart and blood reminds me of an interesting mechanical passage which I read for the second time in Descartes' Discourse (he mentioned Harvey, I suppose?)

post it

I want to see this poetry. post some

>Just read the entire Bible and Summa Theologica as well as 30 other bricks in a year on top of any other work we assign you

Post the weirdness.

I don't understand your apparent disdain. Care to elaborate?

Don't post it, user.

I was into philosophy and mainline political texts when I was getting into literature but now I mostly read fiction or miscellaneous essays.

Attached: myreads.jpg (1498x861, 502K)

They have that but no Nietzsche or Proudhon.

i dont think this list is particularly good

Attached: jjh.jpg (1498x861, 1.48M)

agreed but why have you read the odyssey and not the iliad?

I am myself a graduate of St. John's (2008) and of Columbia Medical School. It was funny applying to medical schools because they would often react to my unconventional preparation in one of two ways. Those who had not heard of St. John's were not impressed. Those who knew of the college waived all requirements. Of course, I took an undergraduate course in organic chemistry, and another in molecular biology at another college. For me, the only difficulty in adapting to medical school was that I didn't have any interesting people to talk to. Most STEMfags are complete brainlets and the ones that aren't are the most boring star-wars loving dorks you can find.

you sound fascinating

what's the point of losing all that time reading that many translations? they could learn latin and one out of french, spanish or german and read the originals in one year.

>undergraduate chemistry courses

Did you translate the Arab scholars' original manuscripts and spend hours trying to turn lead in to gold?

under a year i should think

i only have a poor prose translation of the iliad and, to me, that doesn't count

It's from a wiki page

why not? the best translation of the iliad i know of is prose.
whose the translator?

Hey, you looked them up on wikipedia too.

hugh g. ars

thinking about applying this year, looks based

How was Wikipedia school?

what year

>all these zoomers talking about how based the program is
fuck one more year

Pretty good, Jimmy Wales is a fucking asshole though, I swear I saw him at that Jamaican language translators party smoking weed, but he's supposed to be clean. I told him about it and he lied straight to my fucking face.

That list is cucked

Yeah, there's no Julius Evola or Pentti Linkola.

The DNA scientist who hates black people is on the list though.

Darwin?

James Watson

>he mentioned Harvey, I suppose?

Yes he did. He disagreed on Harvey's conclusion but he was wrong in the end sadly. His general argument regarding cosmology (I think it's in the same part where he mentions Harvey) is fascinating though.

Anyway congratulations on being so dedicated. You're like a non-brainlet me. I'm literally jealous now.

Reading their website and Wikipedia page, it seems that they are the classical idea of a lib arts education.
You expose yourself to new, great, and disparate ideas - then debate them with others to ensure you are able to create your own.

Modern universities have become trade schools by another name.
You go to college and get a degree so you can get a job; personal and educational growth are not a concern or an objective.

I find it fascinating that they have a student:faculty ratio of 7:1. That's incredible to me. I go to a small school, but that's tiny.

iliad is a poem and therefore it should be read as a poem. that's my reasoning at least