Any suggestions on the right order to tackle his works? I'm hoping to get through all of them before I kill myself...

Any suggestions on the right order to tackle his works? I'm hoping to get through all of them before I kill myself. Already read Zarathustra and parts of Beyond Good and Evil a while back.

Also, what's the best form to read the unpublished stuff from after he died? I want to avoid as much bias from the people that published stuff like Will to Power as possible.

Attached: 800px-Friedrich_Nietzsche_drawn_by_Hans_Olde.jpg (800x1067, 214K)

Don’t kill yourself how about :3

Read The Holy Bible

600 get for Bible

Looks like the course of your life has been switched OP

Praise the Lord

Attached: 1551728028288.gif (300x301, 197K)

OP here. I've actually already read the Bible but I'll respect your digits. Is there further Christian theology you'd recommend? I've found some of Meister Eckhart's writings to be interesting, if not particularly relevant to my own life.

Kierkegaard :3

Read Thy Sickness Unti Death

I'm new to the Neech as well. If you use Audible then I recommend this lecture series to get more familiar with him in general.

Attached: Screenshot_20190411-131401~2.png (766x692, 449K)

I read this one a couple months ago, although I'm honestly not quite sure I really got what Kierkegaard's point was. Maybe I'm a brainlet but I thought Fear and Trembling made a lot more sense.

I'm not asking you to spoonfeed me, but what were your major takeaways from Sickness? I'll probably reread it at some point, so is there an idea I should keep in mind when going back in?

Killing yourself would be the opposite of what Nietzsche would advise you to do lol

C.S. Lewis, Jean Borella, Meister Eckhart

Reading Nietzsche doesn't mean I agree with everything he has to say.

It’s been a little while for me as well friend. I’m about to start getting into existentialism again and read some Nietzsche and Kierkegaard.

But basically, Kierkegaard’s relation to the soul, and relation to the body, and the relation that connects the two is really important. His concept of the immateriality of the soul is very important, almost Platonic in essence

I'll keep that in mind when I get back into it. Thanks, user. :)

Are you permanently in severe pain? If not, life is like 80 years. That's not really that long, I decided to just wait it out. Plus it gives you time to read the works that influenced him. And maybe people that came after, but the 20th century sucks so whatevs.

It's too early to tell for me unfortunately. I've come down quite suddenly with pretty severe ear pain from an unknown source. I can handle the ringing in quiet environments but the constant throbbing and burning is really getting to me and has made traveling out in the world painful due to all the sound of the world now being so much more sharp and intense to my ears. Unfortunately research regarding ear problems doesn't seem to move very fast so I figure I will find myself having to make a life or death decision within the next couple years or so depending on if things show any chance of improving.

But you are correct in that I should spend time reading the works that influenced him and those who came after as well. I've initially focused on Nietzsche himself just because I now relate to the pain he was going through with the diseases he had to deal with and the migraines they caused.

In order of publication is interesting because his evolution is a part of his project. He was a very self-mythologizing which is annoying, but would be more so if he wasn't spectacular at it.

If you want to jump in, The Gay Science is right in the middle, so you can get a good sense of his style. Then you can go Genealogy -> BGE -> Zarathustra.

Twilight of the Idols is like a little map he wrote that goes over all of his major ideas in hindsight.

I felt the same way about Will to Power as you did, but then I actually bothered to read Walter Kaufmann's introduction to a translation of the work. Understanding it as a piece of Nachlass does have some value if you're interested in Niezsche the person. The truth is that he WAS working on a book to be titled Will to Power (obviously different from his sister's version).

>I thought Fear and Trembling
>abraham this abraham that
>yo check out this short story i wrote

the best way to read his works are after spending a few years reading earlier philosophies, Kant, Schopenhauer, Aristotle, Plato, descartes, etc, then read his books for a temporary edgelord emo breakdown.

As a Marxist, I find his entire 'philosophy' utterly repugnant. Just look at this excerpt from TSZ. None of his thinking is remotely in the realm of reality...

Equality is poison? That's just bourgeois apologism. Funny how this phenomenon was already predicted by Marx's historical materialism.

Attached: 1554889503099.jpg (3049x2884, 3.33M)

lmao, nice repost from the other thread

don't think I've physically cringed at a post this hard in a long time

If this is actually you, I recommend Schopenhauer's 'The World as Will and Representation'. Nietzsche's work can partially be summed up as a direct response to Schopenhauer's inadequacies, so getting a start from him is good start to learn a chief influence on Nietzsche's philosophy. If you want to go further with this trail of breadcrumbs, summaries of Hegel are also recommended.
Otherwise, try starting with Walter Kaufmann's collection of translations 'The Portable Nietzsche'. Although the translator has a soft interpretation of Nietzsche, it's worth a read. Just keep in mind that Nietzsche can be much more extreme! From there, I suggest 'Beyond Good and Evil' and 'Genealogy of Morality'- or you could abstain from reading 'Thus Spoke Zarathrustra' until reading the former two- then you can read Nietzsche's works chronologically. All ground should be covered from there more or less. You may notice that some claims in these books are contradictory or irreconcilable, however noting the author's perspectivism, there's room for the reader to 'pick a side' with one aspect over the other. Some interpret a 'radical aristocratic' tendency(represented in Friedrich Nietzsche's early and late works) and an 'liberal aristocratic' tendency (as shown in 'Human, All Too Human'.)

Not if you take it literally. Take for example
>Thou goest to women? - Don't forget the whip
What does he want to say to us in this sentence? When selecting a mating partner one should tame his own desires (thus the whip) and focus on the future offspring (see Human, All Too Human). Who is the old woman? Not a literal old woman, we find the answer in The Gay Science where he says "truth is an old woman".