Bad writing advices:

Bad writing advices:

Write what you know

Attached: 877BA99E-33CD-4826-AB06-960996C53DDA.jpg (661x1062, 52K)

"Less is more."

Tell don't show

Don't show or tell

>first draft is always shit

>write clearly and succinctly
>use active voice instead of passive
>avoid using adverbs

Attached: 1537212351945.jpg (645x729, 46K)

"Everyone has a story to tell"

Introduction / Body / Conclusion
Essay format

The best essay I've ever read from any of my students had practically no structure, aside from every point linking with every other one in succession.

Join your local literature workshop

Attached: t).jpg (193x261, 7K)

>show don't tell

Asimov is love, Asimov is life.

They really truly can occasionally get extremely out of hand, though.

Challenge: some good advice, please..

ADVERBS REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

read and write.

All of the bad advice in this thread are really great. This is why none of you faggots are good writers.

read (critically), understand, imitate, memorise, write, experiment.

Most classic writers don't follow any of this shit.

All scientific writing ruined my sense of style and general aptitude for non scientific writing.

Now im clear and succinct, very sterile.

I've never realized until I read this, but this is exactly what happened to me too.

Write from the beginning to the end

You're not gonna be a classic writer you stupid pig fuck you're not even a good writer you want to be legendary? Are you a retard? Learn to be at least competent before you have stupid delusions of grandeur. This goes out to all of you dumb fucks in this thread. These are advice that you give limp dicks like you so you can try at least to get published. Dont waste them.

Do you have a synopsis for that? Please do it right now.

Always have like a 2 paragraph synopsis for your novel ready.

if that's a bottomless pit, how is the sign not falling down?

Kek. You're right.. but i do think there's a modern tendency towards homogeneity and simplistic writing that can hamper creative flow.

>Hemingway

Only write when inspired.

Post your book sales and ill listen to you

“Write what you know” is bad advice. It makes people doubt the value of research and how much one can achieve simply by applying one’s personal experiences and feelings (and by the age of 18 pretty much everyone has experienced all of the major humans emotions) to the reading of foreign activities, epochs, places, cultures, and etc.

“Write what you know” is a death sentence to most writers, or to writers who are unfortunate to have been born in a non-particularly-interesting age and place. You take a person who lived all his/her life in calm suburbs, mostly inside the house, reading, and you will hardly have interesting things to write about. “Oh, but you can write suburban tales, like Cheever, or write about your own life and how it’s like to be a reader and writer”. Oh, yeah? That’s the reason why we have so many boring books today (many of them prize winners) about the experiences of a frustrated writer struggling with his/her new project, those kind of books that nobody outside academia gives a damn about. And let us say I want to write about World War II, or about Julius Caesar, or about Drug Lords. Do I have to say “no” to it because I never experienced those situations, when one can find thousands of sources about every single aspect of those subjects?

By the way, people exaggerate a lot the amount of “real life experience” that certain writers had. Tolstoy saw some war, but it was moistly a few incidents, and even in Crimea he went there to write and just observe the action for a few days. And when he was writing War and Peace he was portraying something that happened 60-70 years in the past. What he did? He studied hundreds of books, biographies, diaries, memoirs, etc., and collected a lot of material from them, while also using things from his own life. If he were to listen to an advice like “write what you know” he would never had written War and Peace, most likely not even started it. Shakespeare wrote about any subject he find interesting, despite the fact that he only lived in a small rural city and then in London, mostly working indoors and without any time to “really experience life and to travel”.

That's not what "write what you know" means you smooth brain dipshit. Holy fuck your stupidity astounds me. Write what you know means let your experience inform your writing not make every book an autobiography. Wow you are never gonna make it lmao.
>By the age of 18 pretty much everyone has experienced the major human emotions
You and i both know this isnt true because youre a kissless faggit virgin who's never felt real love before. Life is a rich and bottomless well of meaning of which at 18 (which im guessing you're around that age) you havent even started to pick at.
As for your example of the person who lived their entire life at home and who hasn't experienced anything. A good writer is able to write creatively and truly with that as a foundation too. Look at Raymond Carver, Bobbie ann Mason, Flannery o'Connor, look at pynchon holy fuck look at Lovecraft. These are all authors who have taken that so called "boring" foundation and crafted tales that are adventurous and true.

This is the difference between a "good author" and a slack jawed fagola such as yourself. Is that they can be engaged in an order of thinking which Aristotle termed the multivocal, which is to understand the connections between experiences as they are contingent to their contexts. Let me save you the trouble: you're never gonna make it.

Your mistake is assuming i give a shit if you listen to me or not.

Write what you can imagine.

>Wow you are never gonna make it lmao.

I am a better writer than you, 100% sure.

>You and i both know this isnt true because youre a kissless faggit virgin who's never felt real love before.

I am already married.

>Life is a rich and bottomless well of meaning of which at 18 (which im guessing you're around that age) you havent even started to pick at.

At 18 pretty much anyone have already loved someone (even if their parents, of a brother or a sister), felt fear, anxiety, happiness, pain, anger, envy, jealousy, pleasure, ecstasy, etc, etc.

>Is that they can be engaged in an order of thinking which Aristotle termed the multivocal, which is to understand the connections between experiences as they are contingent to their contexts.

That is what I meant with this:

>how much one can achieve simply by applying one’s personal experiences and feelings (and by the age of 18 pretty much everyone has experienced all of the major humans emotions) to the reading of foreign activities, epochs, places, cultures, and etc.

And it's not very hard to do it.

>That's not what "write what you know" means you smooth brain dipshit.

And yes, for a lot of people "write what you know" means "write about what you have directly experienced". This same people blame the faults in an authors work on the fact that "they did not live the events they are describing". A lot of people say that some war novels are bad because the authors never been at war, instead of looking to other major flaws, flaws that make the rest of the work - and not just the war parts - weak.

This is autism

the stick holding it is really really long

Establish your world building first.

All characters need to have a conflict.

It makes no sense to simply answer with more offenses. If user wants to play the big shot let him show his cards and prove he is a good writer.

until you've felt it you don't know what it is you haven't felt, and some feelings I can only really describe by what they make me want to do. I would say that when a young writer (or any writer) writes that their character experiences 'dread' of some kind, and the entire course of that character's life isn't changed as a result of experiencing that feeling, and they overcome it in a page, and carry on with the plot - then I would argue that the person writing hasn't actually experienced dread, and the writer isn't capable of creating realistic human characters, but either heroes, villains, sidekicks or caricatures. There are some things, that when seen, imply so much about ourselves and the reality of what we are that they cause the entire scaffolding of our world-view to break down, causing us to have to start rebuilding our understanding of things at large. An understanding that could be 25 years in the making. What I'm saying is, even if an 18 year old has felt fear, there are going to be some situations that they will not be able to provide an honest account of, and although they may be talented with language, and have a rich imagination, they may not understand the true impact of those feelings, and so the behavior of their characters will not be as captivating as a result. But it depends on what story you're writing. It doesn't matter in every story.

Good to read this. I am writing about war, and yet since I never been to war I was scared my writing would feel false. However, I had acute panic attacks in the past and many times felt like I was going to die, a very deep certainty that I was in the process of dying. Reading memories of soldiers I encountered descriptions of fear and agony that sound very much like what I experienced during the anxiety attacks. They also talk about a feeling very similar to the one we experience before a football game, when you are nervous and unwell before the start of the match, but once you’re in it your brain gets so much absorbed by the action and the demands of it on your organism that the fear ends up becoming suffocated by the practical and functional thoughts of what needs to be done to play the game in the best possible way.

Papini wrote a short story about this. The narrator was a storyless writer finding something to write about. In the middle of the night he encounters a bureaucrat and begs him to tell him a story so he can send it to a magazine and eat something. He then proceeded to narrate one of the most pathetic racconto di vita that I've ever red.

the idea of the thread is actually great, because im sure some of you know we learn better from our mistakes. straying away from the negative leaves more room for creativity when you know what not to do, theres still a whole bunch of space unexplored. when someone tells you what to do it is hard psychologically to pretend you didn't hear that and youre not just copying the advice. it's like you're just going back to the same pieces or works of art when someone tells you like that

I appreciate both comments, despite the contrary natures.

Write simple, disconnected sentences no longer than 10 words so that the most braindead ESLnigger can read them. Don't use adjectives, adverbs, relative clauses, indirect statements, "complicated" synonyms or any qualification beyond the most immediate. Use only the most common 1000 words in English.

corporate pr garbage. fuck off

same thing with filmmakers, they don´t do research, that´s one of the reasons movies are so shit nowadays, pure wishfullfilment

that's exactly what art is though. art is a lie. rene clair invented his own paris, that was much better than the real one could ever be. picasso said 'the idea of research has often made painting go astray, and made the artist lose himself in mental lucubrations'

well there are specific subject that should be research before doing a movie or a book about it so you´re right in some sense

Browse Yea Forums

You should never edit or revise, because AI from the future won't be able to discern every edit and you'll be reconstructed in a future simulation as a monstrosity as a result due to improper inference into your psychology.

Friction, plus the parallel postulate.

don't give up

Abusus non tollit usum.

take advice from someone who has never read your work

its a response to autism

>my students

Attached: 1526960993085.jpg (400x301, 28K)

Jesus christ you're an asshole. You know you can disagree with someone without immediately berating them and being a pretentious faggot.

that's a filmmaking advice you moron

you fucked up a vague yet solid advice into your fucking personal strategy. not cool man

read some Pynchon, twats

It's stapled to the side of the pit.

Marry me holy shit lmfao

Learn a new language

In the olden days if someone said you spelled a word wrong you'd kick their ass, and eventually the stronger side would win admission into the dictionary, and subsequently our common vernacular.

Now microsoft fucking Sam is a tranny and "Cortana" thinks it has any right to tell me how to spell.

wow I just learned what an adverb is.

It has an infinite stick

It's lying.

Read a lot
Write a lot
Read more
Write more
GET GOOD REGULAR CRITIQUES

t. advice I do not myself follow

You have conclusively proven him absolutely right.

An essay should be built like a dolphin.
Look at a dolphin's body. See how the muscles staple to its curves in such a way that, if the dolphin were so much as to flick its tail or twitch its nose, it would shoot off into the water.

Your paragraphs should be like the movements of a dolphin, so that no matter what you write, and no matter how it is read, it shoots off into your central point. There should be no spare sentence. Every word must be made to pull its own weight.

/first-year autism

needs more blacks and women

The strong should fear the weak.

don't try to slavishly follow aristotle and horace

wtf user i want to fuck a dolphin now, they must be really hot and curvy, they have 2 dicks right? damn that's hot, i want to suck a dolphin cock rn

literally who the fuck slavishly follows aristotle and horace

good people

Have you ever put your dick in a dolphin's blowhole? It's a fucking weird experience. Also dolphin pussy is suprisingly tight and warm

Any kind of advice on writing.