What is the scariest short-story ever?

What is the scariest short-story ever?

And no Lovecraft garbage unless you can actually explain why his existential crap is scary. You can't just say 'this idea being communicated is scary' when the way of communicating it is hackneyed. That's the same shit where soccermoms say waterguns are the devil because they look like guns.

Attached: DCIM_855123.jpg (1080x789, 75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Ej45aZKVo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

? What the fuck did you just say kid

the NYRB shadows of carcosa anthology is pretty good for getting into weird fiction. it has some of my favorite ones like the damned thing, the white people, the repairer of reputations, and the color out of space. dont buy into fish memes its a pretty based subgenre

For sale. Baby. Never born. >:)

spoopage

I'm not really looking for weird, more terror. I think that's harder to do because it requires a better connection to the reader.

I haven't read it myself but I heard the exorcist is good terror

THIS IS THE STORY OF A DAY WHERE THERE WAS ALL THIS BLOOD. A MAN WAS WALKING AROUND AND BLOOD STARTED COMING OUT OF HIM EVERYWHERE. THERE WAS SO MUCH BLOOD THAT IT FILLED UP AN ELEVATOR. HE WENT TO THE STORE AND THERE WAS JUST BLOOD ALL OVER THE PLACE! PEOPLE WERE SLIPPING IN IT AND THEY WERE ALL GROSSED OUT. HE TRIED TO GO SWIMMING AND ALL OF THE SHARKS WENT NUTS AND BITTENED EVERYBODY. HE GOT CHASED BY ALL THE VAMPIRES EVER. ONE TIME THE BLOOD GOT A KID AND A DOG. AT THE END OF THE DAY EVERYONE DECIDED THEY WOULD SEND HIM TO SPACE SO THAT HE WOULD STOP GETTING BLOOD EVERY WHERE. THE SCARIEST PART IS THAT THE MAN WAS YOU!!! (OR HE WAS A LADY IF YOU ARE A LADY) AND YOU FORGOT THAT THIS HAPPENED

man & girl go out to drive under moonlight. they stop at on at a side of road. he turn to his girl and say: "baby, i love you very much" "what is it honey?" "our car is broken down. i think the engine is broken, ill walk and get some more fuel." "ok. ill stay here and look after our stereo. there have been news report of steres being stolen." "good idea. keep the doors locked no matter what. i love you sweaty"

so the guy left to get full for the car. after two hours the girl say "where is my baby, he was supposed to be back by now". then the girl here a scratching sound and a voice say "LET ME IN"

the girl doesn't do it and then after a while she goes to sleep. the next morning she wakes up and finds her boyfriend still not there. she gets out to check and man door hand hook car door

A guy is at his house, making out with his girlfriend, when suddenly the phone rings. He answers it and a voice says 'TOUCH MY DAUGHTER AGAIN AND I'LL KILL YOU', and then the line goes dead. The guy asks his girlfriend about it and she says 'My dad's been dead for 10 years..'"
BUT WHO WAS PHONE?!

Gogol's gothic work

Excuse my ancient shitty pastas, but legitimately the stories by 1000vultures on r/nosleep. I think the first one is called footsteps. He turned them into an actual novel called Penpal but I haven't read that.

I was always a fan of Richard Matheson's short form stuff. I first read "Born of Man and Woman" when I was like 12 and it spooked me. Then I realized he basically wrote every Twilight Zone story ever.

Diving for Pearls

the one about the evil AI is highly unsettling. It's not even well written it's just the idea itself

Despite being 13% of the population, Africans commit over 50% of the crime.

if this qualifies as a short story

Attached: nomouth.jpg (220x284, 20K)

>What is the scariest short-story ever?
Depends on what you're scared of, so in your case OP the "scariest short-story ever" would probably depict loads of straight, non-faggoty, heterosexual intercourse.

Damn dude, you're scaring me

Jack Ketchum - The Box

It really gets under your skin and fucks with you.

The Metamorphosis by Kafka. Imagine you woke up as a cockroach and or monstrous vermin, completely inexplicably, and everyone hates you and you feel a sense of unavoidable doom and an undercurrent of impending violence in all of your interactions with other people, a shame you can’t escape, that’s the true horror.

haha, yeah just imagine what that would be like hahaha I bet it would really suck to feel that way

i wrote a post very like this but my sense of shame at my vermin like being intruding on the thread prevented me from posting it

haha

Attached: 1549859999520.jpg (800x450, 39K)

Not only that, Gregor has all of the responsibility of providing for his family when he is human, his dad is a bitch coward who won’t get a job and forces his son into debt slavery while he reads newspapers and eats a leisurely breakfast for hours. Gregor’s enslavement to his family and their lack of care and support or even simple thankfulness for his servitude is horrifying.

i pissed and shitted myself

lol that's pretty funny user it would be so weird if gregor was like still going to work and starting a family and leaving the house but he was still a monstrous vermin haha

He eats a leisurely breakfast for hours?

The last man alive on earth sat in a room. There was a knock at the door.

>And no Lovecraft garbage unless you can actually explain why his existential crap is scary. You can't just say 'this idea being communicated is scary' when the way of communicating it is hackneyed.

You obviously haven't read much Lovecraft. He has a lot of very well known classic horror stories as well, like Cool Air, which is not scary but pretty moody and interesting, and very far from the cosmic horror which seems to be what you dislike about him (and I understand that).

I don't think there's an actual scary horror story. I usually need a dose of reality to actually get a scare from it (yes, exactly what you're thinking). The closest to that I've come was The Willows by Blackwood, which is closer to Lovecraft's uncanny horror but it's creepy as hell. M. R. James ghost stories are also great and some of them are very creepy. Scary, though, no.

Nightfall by Asimov, because it's about the scariest thing of all: infinity
I read that story when I was 11 and it's still fucking me up

It's three o'clock in the morning. You've been driving for eighteen hours. Google Maps tells you there's only one motel roughly five minutes away within the next three hours that you could stop at to sleep. You pull up. The sign advertises a hot shower, free wifi, and a complimentary breakfast.
You immediately book a room for the night. You walk in. It's a decent room, clean sheets, nice looking bed. There's a card on the table. You read it.
"Valued guest,
We offer our sincerest apologies, but unfortunately, our WiFi is out of order."

The Nine Billion Names of God by Arthur C. Clarke

His breakfast stretches out for hours, he reads the newspaper and snacks to pass the time because he’s being a neet faggot relying on his son and wants to pretend he is busy with life

everything Ramsey Campbell writes makes me feel disoriented. His collection Holes For Faces especially if you fear getting old & dementia

The Time Machine it you stop and think about it. That time traveler was ballsy and based as fuck goes down into the morlock sewers in the dark by himself armed with just couple matches and a crowbar to get the lever back for his machine.

and it's about the scariest thing of all, poor people

Fucking self-indulgent autistic trash. Absolutely terrible nonsense. 2/10 stars; it spooked me a little when I was 17 five years ago.
Classic and classy.
Dire, depressing, viscerally unpleasant. It's so unrelentingly grim, I don't like going to that world.
Tremendously overrated. Not even Ketchum himself knew what was in the box; it's literally the sort of hollow, anticlimactic, "fear of the unknown"-oriented story that OP shits on.
Creepy asf.
At once both reverent and also creepy asf.
Based author; I first learned about him around this time last year from a reading of his story, "Calling Card" m.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Ej45aZKVo
Go read "The Landlady" by Roald Dahl.

this is the best answer

>explaining scary

kys mongrel

>What is the scariest short-story ever?

I'm pregnant

i never got how anyone could consider lovecraft scary anyway

Exactly, I read Dagon 4 years ago thinking it was one of his first drafts or beginner novel, only to find out later that it's considered a classic.

Dagon is shit imo, it is barely a story.

what kind of fucking retard is scared of a book. it's literally words on a page lmao

What does Yea Forums think about the point and click game based on this? Is that kind of discussion allowed on this board?

t. governor of Virginia

Attached: GHrifsV.png (3840x2160, 722K)

Since the game was written by Ellison himself and designed as a sequel to the original short tale which does respect the original work themes and expands them it is highly recommendable.

Guy de Maupassant's, just because of how relatable they can be. For me, it's the one where the narrator murders because his concern over his new wife not being a virgin gradually grows into a mania.

Almost anything by Poe

Unironically, Book of Revelations

Victims of false allegations can posthumously force truth out of their oppressors' mouths.