How to mobilize millions of people to your book, like she did...

How to mobilize millions of people to your book, like she did? theres got to be some idea none of us are thinking about that can be a literary phenomenon. but what is it?

Attached: download.jpg (268x188, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

orwell.ru/library/essays/boys/english/e_boys
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Find the connections between Harry Potter and Pokemon.

>Write for teens
>make your main character a nerdy outcast kid who hasn't reached his full potential yet so all the teenage kids who actually bother to read can resonate
>involve magic, wizardry, and other escapist elements

You just need to dumb down fantasy cliches for children and join forces with a massive marketing machine aiming to turn your IP into an integral part of your readers' identities.

fpbp
>but what is it?
Right place, right time. There's nothing more to it than that. What was the prevailing YA literature trend at the time just before the emergence of Harry Potter, like back in 1998 or whenever the hell it was?

>How to mobilize millions of people to your book, like she did? theres got to be some idea none of us are thinking about that can be a literary phenomenon. but what is it?

Attached: stephenie meyer.jpg (359x594, 82K)

Categories and types. People love putting themselves in Ravenclaw or saying they'd be a Lannister or a waterbender or shit. If you introduce categories and types, it will create discussion in dumb young kids who love shit like that.

god damn l want these two MOMMIES to yell at me for being a straight male oppressor and misogynist, and as they heat up in their invective they also get close to me and physically punish me until l decide it's been enough and we get down to the absolutely nastiest pig disgusting sex that has ever happened

Harry Potter is not nerdy at all, he is rather normie.

If you want to understand the popularity of Harry Potter, read this essay by Orwell
orwell.ru/library/essays/boys/english/e_boys

>make sure the MC is singled out as special for no real reason
>support elitist status quo that there are people who are born special such as the MC
>blank passive character for anyone vain and narcissistic to self-insert into the story.
>pick a genre and then synthesize every trope and cliche into an easy to read story. It as to feel like something people have already read a dozen times and yet seem original.

That's actually a huge part of it, yeah, maybe bigger than most people realize. The most lucrative franchises--HP, Star Wars, Marvel, etc.--are the ones that are the most customizable by the consumers.

>What kind of wood could my wand be????
>My lightsaber would totally be red, that's badass!!1!
>Team Cap!
>LOL TEAM IRON MAN DUMBASS XD

Let people get their grubby hands on the building blocks of your world so they can build a fort out of it, and you'll own them forever.

Attached: 1554647550752.gif (582x618, 1.75M)

He looks nerdy and gets bullied though, that’s enough

hot

I think the most depressing example of this is actually in manga, with Kimetsu no Yaiba. It was struggling in the polls until it introduced the Pillars and their different styles of swordsmanship. Nothing about the storytelling changed except that now you had a set of typed characters and a ranking system for the power level fags to argue about

If your first thought after seeing a guy get a boner is eew, and if your second thought is to feel sorry for him, and if your third thought is to think about the ingumanity ans shalowness of everyone, you might be all too human. Like staining your panties, it’s all too human.

Cut a deal with the (((publishers))), you push (((their))) agenda and you get fame and money in return

Attached: wo5OeJP.jpg (750x574, 113K)

lol who gives a fuck about scotlandexit in 2019?

escapism

you're making up the trans things right

This. It's too soon for another Rowling to arise, at best some other terrible Hunger Games rehash. It might happen in a few years, though, since the superhero era is coming to an end. They'll need something else to appease the masses. If they don't just recycle something, they might look for the next big teen hit. Disney sure is trying by adapting Artemis Fowl.

>resonate
relate, user.

harry potter is for preteens dumbass

I'm also curious about the state of what was considered fashionable for books during the mid through late 1990s, before it got popular. Were there a few other things quite like it, around the time of its release?

>fashionable for books during the mid through late 1990s
The only two young adult franchises I can think of with ease are the Animorphs series by K.A. Applegate and Goosebumps by R.L. Stein. Though relatively successful, neither was ever taken particularly seriously by anybody or achieved the explosive popularity characteristic of Harry Potter.
>t. 30 year boomer burger

can't you just admit they are great books? Why is it so hard?

they weren't written by a white man 200+ years ago

Regardless of your sincere, actual position, they are objectively really, REALLY bad novels. Like REALLY, astonishingly fucking terrible, in ways that most people don't fully realize. This is coming from someone who, nonetheless, still enjoys them to an extent for their world building, lore, and the nostalgia they evoke.

lmao no
you can't even begin to imagine the pulsating that hermione and cho caused in a teenager me
book 5 was unironically my favourite book because of all the teen drama

If you're writing with hopes of being wealthy, you're already destined to fail.

3. : to relate harmoniously : strike a chord
a message that resonates with voters

This

based

I think it mostly succeed because of the party thing. You're ambitious so you belong to the ambitious house. You're a fucking nerd so you go with the other nerds. Kids and teenagers have group behavior, tons of other teenage shit copied that to death afterwards

I'm thinking the next big trend in YA will be science fiction, since fantasy has already been milked to death.
Maybe cyberpunk? A sort of a dumbed down Neuromancer might work

Why do people even find "making it" to be a hard thing. Christ, all you need to do is read some marx and gramsci and realize

1. everything is about marketing, niche marketing, lifestyle marketing, branding

2. the bourgeoisie control culture therefore they control thought, create something that subtly reaffirms their horrid values

>read some marx and gramsci
Sick b8, well done (you)

Attached: 1526029540809.png (863x658, 122K)

You're shitposting on 4channel's own literature board, is there any more petite bourgeoisie thing to do?

>is there any more petite bourgeoisie thing to do?
Shitposting on leftbook

"No!"

>If you're writing with hopes of being wealthy, you're already destined to hell

1. Most writers who are bestsellers were writing with the intent of reaching a big audience (crime, romance, jerk-off Jack Ryan type stuff).
2. Most writers who write with the intent of reaching a big audience, fail to do so. There's no formula.
3. Most writers who hope to reach a small audience and just get read by someone other than their friends, also fail.

>a message that resonates with voters
A message resonating with voters is different than voters resonating with a message.

Step 1.Create a brilliant character in a brilliant World.

Step 2. Hire a ghostwriter for your 2ed, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th book.

She had all seven books written by 2002, according to an in-depth interview she did. There were even shots of her manuscripts and drafts. However, you're not entirely wrong in your assumption- I'm fairly certain as soon as she sold the rights for films to WB for a paltry 1 million she saw the errors of her ways with its success, and rapidly rewrote the final several books to make them easier for filming.

ascend from the mundane.

The misery and mundanity of the Dursleys is what helps make the wizarding world 'pop'. The whole concept of a wizarding school takes something most people dislike and makes it fantastical. Again, it is an elevation from mundanity.

In the same way that Walter White's miserable life makes the world of meth dealing more exciting and romantic.

People long for something better, something bigger, to drag them from the everyday to somewhere more inspired.

That is i think the most important one. Here are some other reasons

The books are mysteries. People love mysteries because they are fun to figure out and encourage finishing the book in order to get to the revelation at the end. Essentially each book is a giant open loop, which is a powerful literary device for keeping attention.

Rowling is a funny/creative writer. I'm not about to call her some literary genius, but at the very least the narrative in harry potter is very funny and surprisingly sarcastic, something that flew over my head as a kid (they get less funny as the books go on). rowling also knows how to be construct a creative, if not always internally consitent, world.

Luck. As with all such unlikely and viral sucesses, there was a huge part played by luck. Was she in the right place at the right time? Maybe. Probably. The first book was only published after the publishers daughter found the first chapter (the publisher was also desperate). There are many thousands of JK Rowlings with the wit and the creativity who simply never get their break. This is true in all scalable professions (writing, singing, acting etc.).

Those are my thoughts. I genuinely enjoy the Harry Potter books and have poured over them trying to figure out how rowling created that sense of fuzzy, childlike excitement that very few pieces of media have ever given me. These are my main conclusions.

Nah, I think it will be realism.

In the 90s everything was good. Now a whole generation is coming through that expect to be worse of than their parents, and are seeing a confusing and chaotic world unfolding before them.

The next big thing will need to give them some kind of guidance. Thus it will need to engage with the world as it is. No more escapism.

>teens
wut. The first few are very clearly for kids

>What was the prevailing YA literature trend at the time
That's irrelevant- Harry Potter was a children's book, not YA. It then got big enough and went on long enough that teens and even adults read it too

If you read a lot of what went before her you realize how unoriginal she was. Which was why they were so successful. They were a synthesis of what every bookish parent had already read.

he´s a nerdy-normie, so he appeals to all. Harry Potter is literally the equivalent to mediocracy.

same

Pretty much this. Introduce petty tribalist consumer categories that the fanbase can bitch and moan with each other to sell more worthless merchandise based on your shitty fantasy aesthetics. Like how Wizards of the Coast did with Magic the Gathering when introducing Ravnican guilds and tribes of Tarkir, and shit like that.

milf