The thing I don't get about God is why doesn't he do anything? He just chills there, undetectable, invisible...

The thing I don't get about God is why doesn't he do anything? He just chills there, undetectable, invisible, not doing shit. And then he has the nerve to get shitty when we don't believe in him. It dunt make sense.

Attached: jesus.jpg (194x260, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=edCqF_NtpOQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What you're proposing makes even less sense. "Why not just do everthing myself insead of leaving my children exercise their God-given free will? XDD "

Doing something != doing everything

God doesnt force you do anything as you have free will.

The common beliefs of Christians are even more ridiculous: God intervenes to get them a job or find their keys, which is proof he exists, but he leaves more important stuff because he's mysterious.

I stopped looking to Christian apologists for these answers long ago. The answers given never satisfy. For this question, they'll say "free will". But if you ask them, then, what God DOES do, they won't really have any answer. If you get into the specifics of the Problem of Evil, they will similarly be silent. I abandoned Theism long ago. Deism, Pantheism, Animism, and other philosophies make more sense to me.

Nobody understands it Tbh.
It doesn't make sense.

>Why doesn't God do anything?
>Posts a pic of God saving the world

Nigga are you dumb?

I talked to a priest a few years ago and he gave me some reasonable answers. Apparently they teach theology and such at the seminary. Burger Christians are a joke.

He's sustaining all of our existence so that's something which is being done.

How does he sustain our existence?

Even if we suppose that Christians had no answer to the OP's question, how do you conclude from this that Christianity is false?

In short, everything that exists derives its motion or is move by something else. The chain of mover and moved cannot go on forever because if it did there would be no first mover, and consequently no other mover as well. This is because second movers don't move except when moved by a first mover, just as a stick does not move anything except when moved by a hand. So a first mover which is itself unmoved by anything else is necessary to explain motion.

I don't "conclude" it false, it just doesn't personally work for me and I've moved on to other systems that resonate better. I'm ultimately agnostic for all forms of Theism. By all means, follow whatever religion you desire to.

Share them to OP then if you have time.

What a horrible reading and horrible application of an already horrible argument for the existence of God.

I'm not impressed by this sort of rhetoric.

He sometimes does things, like heal the sick or make statues weep or make the sun dance in the sky. But sometimes He doesn't. Why does He sometimes act but other times not act? Who knows? That's His business. It's presumptuous of mere men to question God.

The universe was not created for (you) or your subjective experience. The universe is eternal perfection, the repetition of the Big Bang and the "same" universe that begat it is unavoidable. God doesn't "do" anything because any changes would make the whole less than perfect. God has already done everything he has done and will do. Everyone and everything has already gotten exactly what they deserve across all time. You have free will to judge this creation through your own personal experience however you please. The problem arises when you foolishly doubt the perfection of the whole. Perfection is not a measure of goodness, but a measure of correctness. The laws governing the physical universe are done without error across all time and all space. These laws are consistent and carried out on a scope that is simply unimaginable to your brain. The fact that out of infinity you, a free will, were made to exist should tell you something. Are you really so silly to think that anything you could do as a human being would really change this eternal story? You aren't free to change the creation, but you are free to love or hate it (and its creator), by choosing which parts you want to experience. Which choice sounds better to you?

Yahweh doesn't exist. Lemme tell you about some real gods like Odin *sip*

Attached: aba09ff9.jpg (1440x900, 188K)

>thinking god cares about what we do when theres explosions huge and shit happening all over the universe

why are humans such self important cunts

prove that wall of text

Jefferson's take on Christianity, while leaning a bit too heavily on scientism for my personal tastes, is probably the best form of the religion I've found to this date

Religion is an absolute and total waste of time without some element of the supernatural/mystical/miraculous. Why would I bother following commands and systems that don't take me beyond the confines of the material world? I could just be a Stoic and save myself a lot of trouble.

Haahhahahaahaahhaahaah

That’s fuckin Varg right. Fuckin hilarious man :3

nobody would be a christian if Hell wasnt invented.

XDDXDXDCCDXDDD BASED BASED BASED xxDDDD
here's (you)r (you) kind redditor

you are lost my son, truly. Nothing important can be proved, only considered or believed. Until you let go of that you will never find God. You will not find him in a book or in the words of another. You can only find him in yourself through effort. If you cannot disprove that the Universe was created by a perfect God than it is within the realm of possibility. How can you know which possibility is more probable than another with certainty? Your life experience could be created by anything, and without any sort of context it cannot be measured or evaluated. You truly could be created just to suffer and this world might be hell. Or it could all be created for you, and by you. Who the fuck knows for sure really? Why not choose to believe that you are perfect? Its a lot more rewarding than believing you are in hell. That is the real question you need to answer. Are you in heaven or hell? There is no heaven without God.

>God doesn't "do" anything because any changes would make the whole less than perfect.
Um, what was the point of Jesus and the Resurrection and the Gospels and Church and everything else then?

there's no command involved in his deist Christianity; Yahweh made the Earth, but he doesn't interfere anymore, so we might as well just do what the fuck ever

Sorry I was responding to your earlier post.

Everything is perfect from the context of God, Jesus was sent so that humans might realize that a being like them could be perfect and worthy brothers of Christ in the world to come. They were a pre-planned "trigger" for the "development" of mankind. Jesus came because he always was going to come. That's the eternal word.

God manifests himself in the moods which take us and the whole world around us (saturn, venus, mars etc.)

What you're saying is akin to saying that the earth doesn't move because you don't feel it. Who is to say that God doesn't do anything? God is almighty. Why would you assume he acts in alien ways that would be noticeable right away as acts of God and nothing else?

read the corpus hermeticum

the analogy doesn't work because we can very easily confirm the Earth's movements through other means

Based, redpilled and /threaded

Attached: csm_LeibnizKopf1_2__e36d0cf240[1].jpg (620x300, 217K)

oh dear, he's telling us about the context of God. could you put a good word in for me?

Sure m8 just prayed that you would find happiness

But it introduced a change on God's end, did it not? And are you telling me that Jesus didn't need to show up?

Yeah, why would he want all our attention and for us to worship him and then he doesn't even show up in person. If I were God I would constantly be in the news for doing something cool

He probably is doing things

anything you can assert without evidence can be immediately dismissed without evidence. you don't need to prove your perspective to be fact (since that's likely impossible, even in the case that you are correct), but there needs to be at least SOME grounding in material reality

>there needs to be at least SOME grounding in material reality
You cannot see it through my eyes friend. You must find the evidence yourself. You don't need to believe to see all the beauty you are blessed to experience in this world. Different parts of God's creation speak to different people. I will say that the "evidence" is easier to find if you are looking for it, human psychology is a powerful tool in shaping your perception. I think you should honestly evaluate how often you trust assertions that you have no evidence for. If you choose to believe and God isn't real what do you really have to lose anyway? Whats wrong with being wrong in this case? You don't think you are infallible do you?

God is a fag.
He could prove to everybody without a doubt that actually exists and that he's the only god.
He could do some crazy shit like blowing up the moon and using the fragments to write in the sky I AM THE ONLY GOD THE GOD OF ABRAHAM in every language and then reform the moon but make it hot pink and shaped like a square and leave it like that.
But no, he relies on m-muh faith.
What an asshole.

How old are you?

>human psychology is a powerful tool in shaping your perception
Anime obsessed Yea Forums dweller would rather manifest tulpa of his waifu during a psychotic break, as opposed to hearing angelic voices.

turned 18 yesterday

there's no god, you manchild

>universe is perfect
>the guys running the simulation don't interfere, it would spoil the results
>suddenly, wild jeebus appears and starts doing magic left and right
I wonder, maybe he got crucified by the cosmological TPTB for fucking their shit up?

its quite embarassing that youve never thought about anything for longer than a few minutes in 18 years

That's inserting the thinking of a mortal fallible creature into a all-powerful, atemporal being that none of us could possibly even comprehend. That's like using Linear system's math in a non-linear system.

ive thought about you're mom a lot though

clearly not for more than 2 minutes in one sitting though

she came in less than two minutes when she was sitting on my face last night

im a really disturbed person and id love to know how can you have that faith (certainty, not mere hope) in God just by deciding it?

think about that for 10+ minutes please

no can do, i cum to fast

>he thinks the problem of evil is a good argument

willpower, every step is easier than the last. Eventually you will find it as hard to not believe as you currently find it to believe.

What makes you say that? You are close enough to the mark to intrigue me.

youtube.com/watch?v=edCqF_NtpOQ better said here

couldnt you make yourself believe anything with sufficient willpower? why christianity in particular?

If God does not intervene in human affairs because we have 'free will', then why must he judge us in the afterlife, since this is a causation based universe, it's not exactly someone's fault that somebody was abused as a child and turned out to be a psychopath, or they inherited the psychopath gene.

It's obvious that evil is not some private affair that man caused and the christian idea of god is stupid.

>The universe is eternal perfection
Ha ha ha

I believe in more things than Christianity, and I don't believe all "Christian" ideas either.

he thinks natural selection and environmental change aren't constant creative processes

Are their actually any 'original' Christian ideas? let's be honest here, it's all sourced elsewhere.

>If God does not intervene in human affairs because we have 'free will', then why must he judge us in the afterlife
Because we are not slaves to God, and God is just. How do you know who will be judged how? I don't think anyone does except God. Our creation was so we could be judged justly. It is an extension of the idea that the world is intelligently designed according to the eternal word. Just as the physical laws make sense so must be our judgement. You cannot judge a slave of another, even as to how good of a slave they will be.
"Real Life" is utterly meaningless in terms of importance compared with literal eternity. What price is too great to pay for eternal paradise? Even if it ends up just being Kool-ade it doesn't kill me and it tastes pretty fucking good.

Who cares if it is originally Christian? I just think Christians put together a lot of good ideas.

>How do you know who will be judged how? I don't think anyone does except God.
It literally says in the Bible how we will be judged.
Believe in him and try to live a pious life = heaven
Don’t do that shit = hell

>who cares if it’s a completed fraud?
>I just like how it captured and contained masses of ignorant peasants for centuries and made them willing slaves of a ruling class.

>What makes you say that?
Experience with auto-psychosis. When one is not prone to magical thinking (ie an autist), the only way to accepting jesus (or giving a tulpa voice) in one's heart is simply removing the rational filter, a bit akin to ego death on LSD/DMT.

The self-delusion is let in as a matter of some long term personal benefit, the goal is rational, the means aren't. Accepting Jesus will make you a real christian. Manifesting a tulpa will get you a "real" waifu.

Can be tricky - if it gets out of hand, one can succumb to full on schizophrenia if you leave no emergency string to go back from the labyrinth.

>The thing I don't get about God is why doesn't he do anything?

WHOM DO YOU THINK SENT CHRIST INTO KOSMOS?

WHOM DO YOU THINK SENDS ANGELS INTO KOSMOS TO ASSIST INDIVIDUALS, OR TO PROTECT THEM?

>And then he has the nerve to get shitty when we don't believe in him.

?

I PRESUME THAT YOU ARE CONFLATING GOD WITH YHWH/SATAN.

>gnostic scum doesn't even know how to turn caps lock off

>Catholic philosophy is grounded in Neo-Platonism and many philosophers have properly explained why Catholic theology is true
And still you Atheist lot go the "muh oppressed peasants and fairy tails" route

>why doesn't he do anything
>posts picture of the Christ

God does lots of love things just because you did not get an Xbox for Christmas does no make him passive.

Attached: 1549876973377.png (720x720, 176K)

If you had created a perpetual motion machine, would you spend time turning the crank on it?

The danger is what makes it fun

>'god works in ~*mysterious*~ ways' is the best christcucks can come up with
Absolute state of Christianity.

God Has The Right To Remain Silent -E Michael Jones

youtu.be/_LP0HkAfnVo

Your will isn't free though. You weren't responsible for your birth/genetics. And you weren't responsible for the environment you grew up in. These are the two things that are behind every belief and decision you have made. What else can you base a decision on rather than past experience? So it may seem like your will is free but in actuality it isn't as free as you thought.

The Book by Alan Watts makes the most sense to me.
Advaita Vedanta, the universe is One.

He's still reaching out to people, it's just that all the people he speaks to end up in insane asylums.

>a person does not act on his environment and genetics as they act on him
Also your assertion that external variables predetermine all outcomes of human consciousness and that it simply appears otherwise to our limited brains is literally false and possible to disprove via mathematics.
t. Wittgenstein

He does a lot more than you'd think

You might be disappointed to find out that devout believers stop being scared of hell. Disappointing God is of much more concern than going to hell. Imagine how you feel when you've disappointed your parents, and multiply that feeling for the creator of all existence.

There was no change on God's end. Jesus existed before his incarnation on earth. There's even instances of a pre-incarnate Jesus appearing throughout the Old Testament.

How? I haven’t read Wittgenstein. I’ve struggled with this for a while and I’d appreciate it if you could link me where he explains this.

Pinker's The Blank Slate as a start
Twin studies.
Although you might get banned from Twitter if you go deeper and talk about it

>possible to disprove via mathematics
am not him but please elaborate, am interested

No, it's all your fault.
If you've never heard of the gospels, you're still a God-hating sodomite who rejected God of his own volition.

Peasants is the reason why there is even need for a sky daddy in the first place. But for religion to work at all it needs consistent dogma. Neo-Platonism merely says why Christian virtues are a good idea and there's no problem with that. A peasant doesn't think about old earth, so it's never a problem. Carbon dating heathens are - they need something to reconcile the incogruence of sky daddy with material reality. One such route is willful ignorance, rationally self-imposed blind spot.

determinism can't be disproved the same way God can't be disproven. You must make a choice if you want to believe or not.

He actively sustains the existence of everything in the universe, so in that sense he is doing everything. Except that would also mean he is sinning against himself.

He's full of it.

I'm perceiving a reality. There seems to be a world around me. I don't know what powers it or if it needs power at all. But I'm pretty sure something is happening.

>Why would I bother following commands and systems that don't take me beyond the confines of the material world?
So you're living a life without feel good escapist delusion?

The real problem with atheism is that it’s ugly. There hasn’t been a single atheist society until ours, and look at it: ugly art, ugly buildings, ugly music, wage slavery, (((social mobility))) as a value, ugly politics, representative republic instead of monarchy (the most aesthetic government), the list goes on. Atheism is just the icing on the cake really—a humorless, artless view of the world, espoused by ugly people.

Alright, we can fix the aesthetics of our society then. I agree with you on that point. But we don't need to pretend to believe that writings from more than 2000 years ago contain the literal answers to life's biggest questions.

Great post. This must be that high quality lit discussion I always here about. Maybe you and the other retards tipping their fedoras up and down this thread can explain the concept of Wittgenstein numbers and their relevance to the mind body problem as it explains the fundamental nature of closed systems as explanations of reality?

I'm not the guy you were responding to, but I could do this... I just think I'd rather not post here anymore. I was just stopping by and realized this board sucks and no one has read anything or knows what theyre talking about. I see people posture having read Wittgenstein, but you're all clearly just posers here for the memes. You've probably read some Dawkins though. Don't need a a college education for that.

I'll let the other guy explain it, if he's still here. I'm going back to Yea Forums and Reddit. They haven't read Wittgenstein either, but at least theyre like, funny and stuff...

It just means that believing in Christianity is unreasonable not that it’s false

Brutal. Lit btfo once again.