Why do some Christians treat the work of Milton and Dante like they are part of the Biblical canon...

Why do some Christians treat the work of Milton and Dante like they are part of the Biblical canon? I have met plenty of devout Christians who believe that there was an angel called Lucifer who got cast down from heaven after rebelling against God despite the Bible never mentioning such a thing. The Bible clearly implies that Satan was created by God to test mans faith and devotion. I am personally not a Christian, although I have taken interest in the Judeo-Christian mythology lately, so it really surprises me to see people who frequently go to church be so ignorant about the bible itself.

Attached: lucifer.png (800x600, 377K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/AMpRExd3X8Y
kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bible-Verses-About-Fallen-Angels/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

no one cares it doesn't matter fuck off

I've just starter the bible, also just out of interest in the mythology, and I've always heard from my super "christian" family that Lucifer cast from heaven is straight from the bible. Had no idea

Stories lile the harrowing of Hell and the banishment of Lucifer do not originate with Dante or Milton.

The extra-Biblical tradition of Lucifer as a fallen angel existed in the Middle Ages and was continuously embellished. It may have some late classical or Gnostic origins. I think Enoch or some related late Hebrew apocrypha contains elements of this story.

The identification of the snake with Satan certainly post dates the composition of the Eden narrative in Genesis by many centuries.

The Bible itself has surprisingly little to say about Hell considering the later soteriological understanding of medieval Christianity.

Dante and Milton were working with existing forms of Satan and Hell, but their work certainly has influenced conceptions of them.

It's like every week you guys discover Christianity is syncretic

The Quran mentions he was cast down because of disobedience, but the christcucks don't make sense when they say that Satan isn't controlled by God, he was clearly made evil by god to test men, as you have already said and God completely allows him to do evil in order to test the firmness of the good of humans.

>following Islam
>2019
disgusting

Okay but that doesn't mean it's always wrong. Sometimes the syncretic guys had a good point.

cope

youtu.be/AMpRExd3X8Y

Attached: 11aa93fab2dea9a43969fb634c1a20b7.jpg (1024x1413, 192K)

It is in the Bible though....

My inner voice quietly Om’d “pseeuud” upon reading this.

Please stop pretending like you have any level of spirituality, retard 4channerite.

always the same triggered christcuck lmao, every thread i find you and jihad you until you cry

pic
>thing I don't like
>current year
negative adjective

Attached: 1543292601843.jpg (882x624, 122K)

Pic LITERALLY not related
Probably notso, considering I’m not even the guy you’re trying to argue with. Oh by the way, in the future, everything we’ve written here will be put into machines set with the goal of crushing our wills. This basically a fact at this point. It’s already occuring in a lesser form. Just keep that in mind, retard 4channerite, while you argue vainly with these people over things you pretend to care about.

>while you argue vainly with these people over things you pretend to care about.
>implying things
>when i do it its not the same thing
0/0 bait, made me reply out of pity

;)

oh, sorry, wrong pic, here's the correct one

Attached: 154329260184.jpg (882x624, 128K)

Post verse then

Cool beans dude : D
kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bible-Verses-About-Fallen-Angels/

The tradition partly comes from the apocryphal Life of Adam and Eve, where Satan is a chief angel in the garden Eden, and is expelled for refusing God's order to bow to Adam (this is repeated in the Quran). The Life dates to sometime during the first few centuries AD. The myth was obviously current in at least some branches of apocalyptic Judaism, and was readily adopted by Christians, where it evolved into Satan actively leading a rebellion in heaven and being expelled from it, in the later versions he's expelled to Hell, as in Dante.

It's not biblical at all, and was clearly an evolving and fluid story. so it's not a solid tradition either. Christians assume it's in the Bible because they've heard the story. Some passage are taken out of context and applied to the story. Namely: Ezekiel 28, which is nonsense since it's directly addressed to the king of Tyre; similarly Isaiah 14, which is addressed to the king of Babylon; Revelation 12:7-9, which is about the war in heaven during the end times, not in a primordial age. The closest is Luke 10:18, which is probably Jesus talking about the success of the 70 (or 72) disciples in exorcising demons and combatting Satan's power in their own day, thanks to Jesus. In any case, it's no where near the full myth.

>ctrl-f "Lucifer"
>0/0

Here in the USA the majority Christians are not very intelligent or well educated. Most of the "Christians" on this board just use it as a fashion statement similar to their dumbfuck /pol/ politics. So it's not that surprising that most people don't actually know what is and isn't written in the bible.

Iblis and Shaitan are different beings. Both were cast down but Iblis is the one testing us Shaitan is evil.

Thanks for this post, very good.

Milton believed his work was urged by God himself. In some ways, his story is just as credible as the other men who claim God urged them to write sections of the bible. The only difference is Milton's is more modern.

you're actually the pic